Alright, so I've started a company and found that I need to install a desktop in a pickup truck...

Alright, so I've started a company and found that I need to install a desktop in a pickup truck. I have some pretty hardcore processing that has to be done in the field to meet deadlines and no laptop has enough power without getting well the hell out my budget. And it's in a truck because I'm frequently off-road/on really terribly maintained gravel roads.

I'm pretty sure I've a good design for an enclosure that does a solid job of protecting the components from dust and heat, but what I'm most curious about is how do protect against jarring and vibration? I'm referring both to the various plugs and cards plugged into the mobo like video cards as well as if there's such thing as a liquid cooling system that can stand up to such?

Any ideas/sources would be highly welcomed.

Other urls found in this thread:

digikey.com/catalog/en/partgroup/pci-express/30025
digikey.com/products/en?mpart=8KC3-0726-0500&v=19
amazon.com/Thermaltake-PCI-Express-Shielded-Flexible-Extension/dp/B01AXZV2IA?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-d-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B01AXZV2IA
youtube.com/watch?v=yr0Iy8aQSpk
mushroomnetworks.com/portabella/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Post your off-road vehicle OP.

Why not buy servers off-site and get a fast wireless connection? That way you can connect from anywhere.

Just use SSDs. So long as you have the budget it'll solve your problem since nothing else is particularly sensitive to vibration. It'll also make work faster so that's a plus.
For extreme vibrations you'll want to throw in supports for the heatsinks. Bodge jobs with zipties and such will do, so long as the weight is supported.

Also get a higher budget.

Liquid cooling would be a bad plan. A dislodged fan could be plugged back in, if liquid leaks you're fucked.

4G card + AWS nigger, putting a highly performant system in a jerking and jarring field vehicle is retarded. If you absolutely must have local processing power, you're going to need a totally custom installation with gyros and shock absorbers galore. It's going to cost you a fucking fortune.

put pic related betwen pc. and truck it will absor the vibrations, also very cheap.

If you're good on the enclosure, then just make sure your fans are securely mounted and use an SSD instead of a HDD. You should be fine, but if you're really worried then you could install some sort of extra GPU support.
I'd avoid liquid cooling just because it seems like it would rattle apart if it wasn't maintained pretty constantly

It's just an F150 Sport.
Highly rural area of operations -- only way to ensure data connectivity is to have satellite, which would kill the benefit of me being able to have processing going while I'm gathering more data to crunch.
Budget's being spent in better instrumentation. Better computer upgrades will have to wait around a year.
Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of, but aren't there nonconductive liquids that have a decent specific heat out there?

don't use mechanical HDDs in a truck, jesus

spare some storage space you don't need the best-ever SSD just get something that you're not going to break

if you put a HDD in it, it's going to break and if you post about it asking for advice everyone's going to laugh at you for taking a delicate magnetic platter with needles pointing at it off-roading

Yeah, wasn't planning on using HDDs.

Oh and here's the truck since one of you seem to care.

Oh, I see y'all were thinking I was replying to the bit about SSDs in that post. Nah, just the last bit about getting a bigger budget.

SSDs have always been a part of the design because read/write times are huge for what I'm dealing with.

oh then yeah, you might even be able to get away with 3d printing some stand-offs/cradles/supports for cooling components to keep the gpu (I assume you're using a GPU) inside its pcie slot and unsnapped

dot worry for use HDD if you isolated the case from vibrationos. elastic materails ar your freinds (noot good loking but it do the job)

>inside its pcie slot and unsnapped
Dual 1070s.
This and the motherboard itself cracking are the two things that I'm worried the most about. The knuckleheads they have grading the roads have no clue how to actually do it so when they do bother, they washboard the hell out of them. I'm going to have a ton of little plastic standoffs to try to hold things relatively still and use various shockmounts (mainly rubber grommets) to try to isolate the case from some of the vehicle's movements. All joints except for air intake and discharge air tight, HEPA filters on intake and discharge. Stupidly high cfm fan both to push and pull air through with baffling that doubles as supports to guide flow.

Should be fun to put together.

Performant relative to what?

Unplug the whole thing and store it in a foam lined pelican case. Take it out and plug it in when you get on site.

What's the job?

liquid cooling is a meme. ubless you're building a custom loop that invludes the gpu too there is no point. it's hardly more efficient than large air coolers but costs twice as much while being less reliable.

>Unplug the whole thing and store it in a foam lined pelican case. Take it out and plug it in when you get on site.
I move too much for that to be an option.
>What's the job?
Oilfield LiDAR/thermo photometrics

Basically, fly the drone, get data from the drone, shove in program, generate report/3D view/whatever client wants, then get to client. Bottleneck is the generating the site mapping. With my current setup, it takes around 40 minutes to crunch each site and I do around 35 sites a day. If I wait until the end of the day to start crunching, it'll lengthen out my delivery time which won't make clients super happy since part of why they have me do this is to find gas leaks which can get them fined to hell and back.

>flying laser drones for money and building exotic computers
living the Sup Forums dream

are you in areas where aircards would give you decent service? might be cheaper and easier to pipe everything back to a desktop for easy processing

Now's literally the time to get into it. There's only like 8 other 107'd pilots in my state. It's a seller's market, especially if you have even a tiny bit of industrial or o&g experience. Hell, even the farmers up here are starting to buy in so you don't even have to lean on the oilfield. Depending on where you're at, it's a seasonal thing (I do very little flying in the winter because well, drones don't do well with -20 degrees F and 30 mph winds)...only down side is having to be in the frozen north which sucks ass, but there are definitely other highly underserved areas elsewhere.

I wish. I even have a yagi-antenna active booster and often have no signal. Shitty part about operating in the Badlands.

where would I start learning about this?

Care to elaborate what youre doing out there?

Also for gods sake be careful with the "12V" line. With the engine running it goes up to 14.4V and also likes to spike around when starting the engine.
Theres specific car power supplies that handle this for you, use them unless you wanna blow up your system.

Use a desktop case, not a tower - this will put much less stress on the mainboard. Macgyver some brackets to hold shit that might sway, like long GPUs. Secure any connector that doesn't have a locking latch with hot glue (no not THAT "hot glue"). Make a foam cushion for the case; it's the small, harsh jerking that's the most dangerous.

This, got damn son. This some cool shit.

If you can, try to build it that mobo is in flat position. Forces on PCI cards will be much smaller. Also you can check PCI cables so the connection between mobo&pci card can be flexible and put them in custom mounts.

Start googling up "drone inspection" "part 107" and the like. There's also generally a ton of good drone groups on facebook, but everyone is super secretive about clients and how they get them (which I find hilarious: if you think you're good enough to take my clients, give it a go. That way when they come back to me, I can charge them more).

The more saturated part is doing stuff like real estate photos, but you can also do stuff like cut/fill surveys pretty easily (which gravel pits have to pay out the ass to get a surveyor to do so they can manage inventory) with something as simple as a Mavic or one of the Phantoms.

For the most part, just flying sites and taking non-visual spectrum imagery of them. Sometimes, visual spectrum as well for simple site mapping. Otherwise, looking for things like gas leaks (BLM has a huge hardon for gas leaks right now) and once winter gets good and going, I'll be able to find freezes for them if I can fly. Can't afford the explosive proof Flir camera yet. One client had me do a full survey of a location (elevation to 3"). The computer intensive part of this is converting still images into whatever mid-file or final file the client wants.

>Theres specific car power supplies that handle this for you, use them unless you wanna blow up your system.
I use a clean generator anyway (have to keep batteries charging/warm the entire time, so it made sense just to run a parallel electrical system instead of off my inverter/12v systems).
Thanks

>flat
That shouldn't be a problem. I can just stick it in the rear floorboard. It'll take a bit more thought to make it weight bearing too, but that positioning would be best too since it's close to the center of rotation for the vehicle.

Last time I checked a HDD with a parked head was rated for accelerations that turn bones in to powder and liquefy brain tissue.

Relative to the semi-mass-produced "milspec," hardware that's industry standard for field deployment.

I ment you can put cards in custom mounts not cables of course. Pic related.

SWEET!

That post by itself made this thread worthwhile user. Thanks!

OP, listen here.
1. Get mITX case with dual card support = PCIE risers, that will exclude slot cracks.
2. Get low-profile cooler = no MB cracks
3. SSD for sure
4. If you leave equipment at truck for a night, thick about water condensation, put some silica gel aka DO NOT EATs in case.
5. USE FUCKING DUST FILTERS or you will collect dust+bugs.
6. Think about cloud backups using cellular
7. Use only silicon wires for external stuff.
8. Fill unused MB ports with hot glue or order rubber dummies

>most curious about is how do protect against jarring and vibration?

use an SSD, but desktop parts are NOT made to take that kind of stress
what is so demanding that a high end business grade laptop couldn't do?

You say you have like 35 clients a day but you say you can't afford a laptop? God people are fucking retarded.

You're welcome.
Those are high quality advices user.

>unshielded cables
enjoy your data corruption. you do realize that if you don't buy chinkshit cables they actually make shielded ones.

Install a desktop computer in the vehicle with as much power as you need. Surround it with tons of foam. Maybe do some research on making the desktop more vibration resistant.

The desktop should then connect to your laptop via Bluetooth, or if speed is an issue a 1/10gb Wi-Fi cable. Remote in and offload the data.

Thermaltake Core V21

Make a custom screw in mount for GPU support and make sure they're parallel with the direction of travel. 3" of memory foam type rubber foam on the bottom. I seriously doubt that the components will be able to inherit enough inertia for them to be or do damage. Since you're living in the great white north I suggest setting up a system that's easily removable since the cold could possibly damage the components. A portable monitor and wireless KM combo from logitech seems like a good option with a slight sacrifice of productivity.

Some good stuff. Thanks!
Had I the budget for one, nothing. I do however already have a kick ass desktop that I can build a custom case for a couple of hundred versus the almost $4k for a suitable laptop.

Budget is different from afford.

Anyways you retards here are some cables which will actually work. There is a reason why they're $90 and made by a company you've actually heard of and sold by a actual electronics distributor rather than a literally who webstore

digikey.com/catalog/en/partgroup/pci-express/30025
digikey.com/products/en?mpart=8KC3-0726-0500&v=19

Literally 3 second later:
amazon.com/Thermaltake-PCI-Express-Shielded-Flexible-Extension/dp/B01AXZV2IA?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-d-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B01AXZV2IA

Also: Put the PC as close to the middle of the car as possible (ie equidistant to the wheels). This makes *a lot* of difference for vibration.

>74% 1 star reviews saying it doesn't work at all
>using ribbon cable rather than twinax
good job proving how retarded you are

You feel better user?

OP are you using a GPU in your compute? The main thing you have to worry about is linear accelerations translating in to torque. Torque allows forces to be amplified through the lever effect. You end up with a fulcrum in the connector somewhere and forces applied to the top of a card caused by acceleration will get amplified at the connector. I can imagine the same would happen to a tall heatsink in a tower configuration.

I see a few strategies for reducing the stress. The easiest is orienting your computer so that cards and heatsinks are perpendicular to the ground. Since the largest accelerations you face will be oriented up and down from bumps this orientation leads to less of a torque force and more of a push that pushes the card or heatsink towards the motherboard. The connectors on your motherboard are already designed for this type of force. It's insertion force.

Another idea is bracing. Look up GPU sag for large cards and see how they brace the cards. Bracing reduces the torque exerted on the socket/pci connector.

Other ideas may require you to sacrifice performance. You can also choose components that are less heavy or less tall. If you're not using GPU in your computations go with some sort of integrated graphics. A smaller heatsink with a fan that runs faster will be louder but result in less force. A wider heatsink is better than a tall one.

Ultimately I would go with a combination of the bracing and perpendicular orientation of cards. I can't see a braced and properly oriented system of any sort being damaged by events that occur during safe operation of the vehicle. I'd just accept that if you get in a collision or roll over that you'll have a good chance of damage to the computer. Considering the cost of those events you won't be complaining about your PC.

Just JB weld everything in place fam

see you butthurt retard

I kinda want to epoxy resin everything in place, then go in and drill out channels for some heat transfer medium to be pumped through, and call it a day.

That's not feasible. Epoxy resin has abysmal thermal conductivity, so you'll have to drill channels to every VRM chip. And if anything fails, you'll have to rebuild it all from scratch.

It is doable if you heatsink everything, then only cover the components in resin. You'd still need a serious heat transfer system though, likely on the order of refrigeration of the sinks themselves...which yeah, would be a pain in the ass to get right.

Thats a retarded idea, JB Weld has iron particles in it

youtube.com/watch?v=yr0Iy8aQSpk

OP, you might be overthinking it. I moved dozens of computers in the back of my shitty van over pothole-ridden roads protected by nothing but an extra layer of carpet underneath, and nothing ever broke. I just made sure to put them horizontally with the mainboard on the bottom, and secure them with rubber straps. You don't have to go all Rube Goldberg on it, just cushion your case better and make sure everything inside is properly secured.

>Various plugs
They're going to stay in place
>Video cards
Get PCI extension ribbons and mount them separately, that way they won't be reliant on the motherboard and some screws to stay in place.
>Hard drives
Solid state
>Liquid cooling
Don't

Computers are made of plastic mostly, so it should be okay.

private what do you think your doing

Noted. Although I tend to make a living off of overthinking things.

Making money?

Why don't you just build your system in the """cloud""" and connect wireless from a tablet or phone?

Explained many times above

Answered a few times already: I can't guarantee connectivity.

why don't you explain the
>pretty hardcore processing that has to be done in the field to meet deadlines
what type of computing is it?
is your input data from the field?
why does it have to be done in the field?

if you are not larping and have an actual business need for this then just buy a rugged laptop.

Explained above

Are you literally retarded?

Not him but based on the posts above
>what type of computing is it
>is your input data from the field?
Drone gathers data from sensors. Laptop turns it in to 3d models n shiet.
>why does it have to be done in the field?
His clients have incentives to get the desired processed data quickly. Having to take his raw data back to somewhere with servers or an internet connection would cost time. That time can result in more gas leakage or whatever and the amount of gas leakage determines the fine. Time therefore becomes money.

>if you are not larping and have an actual business need for this then just buy a rugged laptop.
Going to laptop form factor increases the cost of a given amount of computing power. A rugged solution also increases the cost. Why OP business can't handle this one time expense god only knows.

Dude, computers are tougher than you think. I had a desktop in a vehicle for 7 years. Drove hundreds of thousands of miles all over the US. Didn't do jack shit about vibrations even with a spinning rust HDD. Never had a single problem. Just use lower mass parts and go solid state for shit like mass storage and you're good. Worse case, put the whole thing on a cushion. Oh and enjoy your journeys. I had the best times of my life.

I deal with systems in sewer trucks that have to deal with underground sensing and mapping. How much processing do you need? Need GPU? Feeding power con become problematic if you don't plan properly. Obviously keep things as solid-state and fanless as can be given your circumstances. Maybe a passive chassis with a big fan outside for easier maintenance. Get a power cleaner in there, alternators are dirty. Do need an internet connection?

I'm There are solutions for that too, my workplace has begun hosting solutions like this but we don't do Sup Forums people (im sure you're fine though) here's a non-affiliated example though. mushroomnetworks.com/portabella/

>Why OP business can't handle this one time expense god only knows.
Because for the next three months I have to be stingy as fuck with the cash flow because basically the clients shifted requirements on me right after I dropped $40k on some new sensors and software suite. They're upping the pay, but I won't see that for around another six months. Gotta make sure I can keep all of my bills paid in the interim.
And, I kinda just want to mount a full pc in my truck just because...
>Oh and enjoy your journeys. I had the best times of my life.
I have been. I love travel, so this is great. Thinking about moving operations down to Colorado, but unsure what the market looks like there.

I'll power it with my generator (eu7000is), so power quality shouldn't be a problem.

I wish I could get away with something like that, but a good half of the locations I go to have zero signal. I run a -70dB booster with a yagi antenna that automatically orients to the nearest cell tower (even manually pointing it doesn't help) and I still get jack shit. That and I'd typically need to transfer somewhere in the neighborhood of 15 gigs per location, so we're back to losing what I'm intending on saving: time.

>consult for me for free Sup Forums

Fuck off

Is it just CPU number crunching? No need for a GPU? Easiest option would be a mini-ITX setup with SSDs with a fanless HSF.

No moving parts = way less susceptible to jarring and vibration.

If you need a GPU, you could try an external GPU? All the high end GPUs would need fans, and with an external card you could insulate the card better.

>so we're back to losing what I'm intending on saving: time.
good point.

I would ask your software vendors if they have tested all the new ryzen and intel i gen 8 gear yet and see if they have any recommendations. Same with GPU if the sw is using that.

that's not how Sup Forums works go fap to desktop screencaps and smart phones in the relevant thread you reject

Alright well give your knowledge and experience away for free then you cuck

>implying i dont like talking through issues and scenarios

close yourself into a box and die a lonely worklife then neerdowell, there are loads of idgaf indians waiting to take your place.

whats the point of using the internet if people are not freely interacting.

what a sob

Loads of pajeets like you giving shitty advice destroying our profession

If free advice on an internet board is harming your employability, you seriously need to get better.

see
these people are here trying to improve their understanding and lives, not engineering the next big world-breaker

some people are just irreparably butthurt

>Start googling up "drone inspection" "part 107" and the like
thanks user

You're looking for a Getac B300, and the matching vehicle mount. It's good enough for cops, so it'll be more than enough for you.

Np. Let me tell you this:
You can get away with doing it without dotting all your t's and crossing your i's, but it's a very bad idea. You don't want to be the next example case. Also, getting legal is simple enough and becomes a selling point if you're wanting to do work with larger companies. If you're only in ok-ish shape financially, you'll have some problems getting an MSA with larger companies. Keep plugging away at the smaller stuff and keep an eye out for natural disasters like tornados and hurricanes for a quick hit of a lot of cash doing inspections for insurance companies. Once you get enough money up to get a good sized bond, then you'll be in great position to do work with larger companies. For stuff with larger companies, generally bid out jobs assuming that you'll have a second person there (and actually have a second person there to act as a spotter). The market values the fuck out of safety...not necessarily "real" safety, but corporate safety where OSHA is worshiped and everything is always documented in a dozen and a half places by people who've sat through some stupidly long class that teaches them practically nothing.

And you somehow think you have too much raw data to efficiently send over 4g?
Do you understand how processing works?
I mean you were considering building an liquid cooled HDD based desktop in a truck so I assume you don't understand anything

>converting still images
>satellite networking and off-site processing is out of the question

>refrigeration
Wow you really are entirely clueless about this stuff

Sure thing, 4g that DOESN'T EXIST where I'm working can handle 450 gigs a day. Gotcha.

>I mean you were considering building an liquid cooled HDD based desktop in a truck so I assume you don't understand anything
At no point was I ever considering using HDDs, and with my prior experience, I could make liquid cooling work without leaking. Hell, the most efficient thing would be to submerge the entire thing in nonconductive liquid and pump that over a heat exchanger, but that would be a serious pain in the ass to set up.
Do you have any clue how expensive bandwidth is on a satellite? Fuck, I could build a server rack and microcell in a trailer and tow that around for cheaper than using satellite for a year.
Sure thing bub. Go ahead, prove me wrong because you're dicking around with the part of this that actually is my expertise.

>manually pointing it
>15GB in 40 minutes bro I can't use sattelite
Just get fired already jesus

>expertise
>put stick-on heatsinks all over motherboard and dunk in epoxy
>refrigeration

post the camera rig and i will help you

also, stop living in north dakota, its not worth it

>40 minutes to crunch 35 times a day
(40*35)/60=23.3

So you sleep for how long? And you teleport to each client?

Great argument.

Sorry, but it's branded. Here's my old Inspire though.

Wow, it's like you're starting to comprehend the problem!

branded? that makes no difference in whether you can post it or not.

I just got into this thread, but you being a real dindu. Use a newer Mobo with an m.2 drive and an onboard GPU, slap an old xeon on it, and use a 2u heatsink with a server fan that's not attached to the board, done. Nothing is heavy enough in the board to be affected by vibrations, and everything is accounted for.

There are companies that make CPU/GPU boards for automotive environments. The type in pic related is primarily designed for ADAS systems - lots of image processing capability. They're completely solid state, and have basic Ethernet and USB which you can use to link it to a laptop. Of course, building your software to target the specific firmware of the board might be more of a hassle than it's worth (or even impossible, depending on what software you're using), but it is something that exists.

Oh and in case you come back with something about the things plugged into it falling out, use a wireless keyboard and mouse, and maybe WiFi in your truck, and a VGA cable that's screwed in place tight enough to hold.

Note: the board pictured here would plug into this board, which has the USB ports, etc.

Don't like making things too easy for shitheads.
I don't mix well with idiots. It's pretty clear that my turnaround is greater than 1 day because otherwise it's impossible to do without splitting things up. That said, being able to save a half day in post-processing would make things to where I don't have to sweat deadlines quite as hard.
>or even impossible, depending on what software you're using
That's the part that worries me because most of the photometric stuff on the market isn't widely optimized for hardware support. I'll dig into it more deeply. Thanks for the option!

Dunno if it's been suggested or not yet, but I advise getting PCIe cable extensions to minimize stress on your PC slots. An AIO liquid cooler is probably your best bet as well, since having the mass of the a heatsink on the board would be very bad. I would hang the motherboard (with the socket facing the ground) and position the cooler below it somewhere so any leaks, if they happen, won't damage the board. Do those things and I don't see why you'd have any real problems.

I used to be a welder before switching to a sysadmin, you remind me of the shithead's I used to work with. If you want this to work, use the specs I posted that you completely ignored. Also consider the fact that you're not always the smartest person in the room. Your question has been answered more than once in this thread, so kindly go fuck yourself since you're ignoring all of it. Your truck sucks, your PC sucks, and your job sucks, kys.

>doesn't get YOU
>spergs out
Here's your (You).

Every post I've made in this thread has had a (you), nice backpedaling though