Why do Americans say "The Ukraine" instead of just Ukraine?

Why do Americans say "The Ukraine" instead of just Ukraine?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Return_to_normalcy
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Isles_naming_dispute
bbc.com/news/magazine-18233844
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

they think it's respectful or some shit

What? I've never heard or seen anyone say The Ukraine

>ukraine

no such thing

Another Ukraine is in your heart.

I have the Ukrainian friend that incessantly bickers over this. It was the same for Sudan too (at least during media representations of the civil war) and I don't know why it's employed.

krain=land/territory
ukrain=borderlands
the ukraine= the borderlands

That's why it triggers them, it's like the Irish with the >british isles

Why do Americans say normalcy?
Normality sounds normal, and it is.

who cares its the same as calling UK "The UK" or USA "The USA"

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Return_to_normalcy

I know the origin. Why perpetuate it?
>it's like the Irish with the >british isles
Ireland was never part of the British isles.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Isles_naming_dispute
> For this reason, the name British Isles is avoided in Hiberno-English as such usage could be construed to imply continued territorial claims or political overlordship of the Republic of Ireland by the United Kingdom.

I even remember some irish user got buttblasted some time ago in a similar situation

>the United Kingdom
>the United States of America
>Ukraine

Ah yes, wikipedia.

do you know what ukraine means you retarded chimp?

>The United States
>Ukraine

It seems strange to an American speaker to say it without the in front of it. And yes, Uruguay throws us off too.

Also "the Sudan"

Triggered

>extra articles
REEEEE

Close but not exactly, "krain" actually comes from кpaй meaning edge, combined with the preposition y meaning "on" in this case. It means "on the edge" since it's on the western edge of the kingdom of kievan-rus

Tbh I kind of like that it's 'The Ukraine'. Gives it more uniqueness imo.

Tbh I've never had an issue with Uruguay.
Agreed

I'm new to int, what's that little bar under your flag? It's been bugging me

>Why perpetuate it?
Beats me. Normalcy is actually more widely used than normality. I wish it wasn't.

Might have to do with general disdain for "snobbery."

it's called the ukraine in english, americans speak a dialect of english, so I think that's why

really makes me think tho

>The Ukraine
No such thing.

Why don't Americans celebrate Easter?

Except it isn't.
Both UK and USA is shortened from "the united kingdom" and "the united states of America"

>Looking for logic in anything done by Americans

I read somewhere that we do that because the word "ukraine" literally translates to "border" in some language. It makes more sense to say "the border" than just "border"

>Ukraine

No such thing

>i'm a Dutchman living in Holland nd my language is Dutch and my mother is a Dutchwoman

The English language is just the sound that retards make 2bh

"ukraine" refers to the independent state where as "the ukraine" refers to the soviet territory. its an old fashioned way of saying things and its a good way to offend a sensitive ukrainian.

Why do Anglos say Yukrayn instead of ukraine?

It's the same in German

> For this reason, the name British Isles is avoided in Hiberno-English as such usage could be construed to imply continued territorial claims or political overlordship of the Republic of Ireland by the United Kingdom.
it's called that way because Britain owns Ireland

It's "Ukraine". Calling it "The Ukraine" is disrespectful, like it's not its own country, but borderlands of Russia.

bbc.com/news/magazine-18233844

>ukraine

no such country

It's just a flow thing. I don't know why it happens certain countries, like (the) Ukraine. Feels natural to add it there?

Let's be real, Americans don't even know where Ukraine is on a map, let alone that it borders Russia. I am not meme'ing on the border part.