Which are the most difficult things when you learn English?

Which are the most difficult things when you learn English?

Other urls found in this thread:

upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/44/En-us-crepe.ogg
forvo.com/word/crêpe/#fr
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Capital letters in the beginning of the sentences.

still throws me off to this day

this absolutely this

When have to use color or colour.

Tenses, plural singular and why "I" must be capitalised.

Apostrophes

Articles and passive voice

really? but finnish and turkish both use latin-based alphabets and do the same thing, no?

either is OK

Tenses and various complicated cases of their usage.

Do either of you have any questions about these?

Both are good. However people will assume you learned British English if you use colour. This only if its some text conversation. The word sounds the same spoken.

Don't worry. Most natives can't handle apostrophes either.

the difference in written and spoken english, also called "accent" or "pronunciation"

english language itself is pretty easy

their there they're
s 's ies
Also tenses I guess.

But as says. The real difficulty lies with the pronunciation. I'm convinced it's the hardest West European language to pronounce. A lot harder than Dutch/German/French/Italian/Spanish/Portuegese.

Yeah.
Once used colour to comment in some normie website.
And a "grammar nazi" told me that colour is wrong and color is right.
I know both right, but don't "where" to use it.

it's annoying because it's not phonetic
sometimes if i see a new word, i don't know how to pronounce it, or have an idea but it might be wrong

their there they're is important, please learn it well
pronunciation is all the same and different spellings are used very differently

As long as you're consistent (always use the same one, and other words with those variations) you're fine. "colour" is used by Australia and England, "color" by America.

Color in America, colour in Britain, Australia, India, etc.

On the Internet? Pick one and use it. Everyone will understand you.

Yeah and here's a weird thing: Now that I started using English more verbally than written, I started to make a lot of grammar mistakes because I write the words the way they sound.

Tell them to go fck themselves.

I found passive voice pretty easy. Do you have any reason to find it hard?

I can't distinguish past tense and subjunctive very much to this day.

Too bad that I used it on the internet and that one "correct" me.

>past tense
例えば
〜しました
〜かった

>subjunctive
例えば
〜すればいい
〜がほしい

The subjunctive is *very* rare in English. I would be surprised if any cases be found.

not that rare
"If this were true...", "I wish that he had been...", "He should go..."
i never realize when I use it though

Dead in the middle of Little Italy little did we know that we riddled two middlemen who didn't do diddly

the completely arbitrary, fucktarded pronunciation of words

Once you can german, english becomes laughtably easy

ghoti

it was probably just an insecure yank who think's american english is better, they probably weren't worth talking to anyway

Well, even if it would be phonetic I highly doubt Dutch people would be able to pronounce it correctly.

According to Dutch people wet and flat have the same vowel.
Dog is a dock. Crepe is a crap. Have is hef. Mother is modder.

saying literally when talking fast in the middle of a sentence, like, literally.

Only your first example is actually the subjunctive form of a verb though. 'Should' is an auxiliary verb of the conditional. 'Had + verb' is a pluperfect used axiomatically in English conditionals.

haha, very true.

Are crab, crepe and crap even pronounced differently?

none, it's easy as fuck

no wonders it's a mother tongue of Americans

Definitely the pronounciation.
Just the vowels are a pain to deal with. In French we don't have shorts and long vowells (anymore at least).
It's not so much of a problem when you listen to english but actually minding the length of them when speaking takes practice (aka perma french accent in my case).

colloquialisms are great

The consequence of having massive pronunciation changes happening as industrialisation and printing cemented the spelling.

git gud

French is in general a pretty incompatible language to speak

>think's

Is it correct if I pronounce
>they're as [dayre]
>their as [dee-ar]
>there as [day]

If I make the "th" sounds, it would make me sounds like faggot lisps.

crab and crap are the same, like crAb
crepe is like crEHp

I'm struggling with French now. Although it has some similar things with my language.

tell that yank to go off himself desu senpai

There are so many English accents, each with their own vowels, that I would think any pronunciation is viable as long as the consonants are fine.

Natives still have huge troubles with 'gh', e.g. 'Loughborough'.
> lufbruh

Just say them all like "dare"

properly complete it

>they're as
you wouldn't say this because it sounds awkward, you'd say 'they are as'
>their as
makes no sense grammatically
>there as
this one is easy to pronounce

You would be understood, but you will always sound like a 'foreigner'. The two 'th' sounds are the final bosses of English.

Make me. I'll keep pronouncing beat and bit the same way and the Queen can't stop me.
I have an excuse to sounds stupid. Don't be jealous.
I guess there is that as well, but we have many French accent as well and as the pronunciation is simpler (there are less sounds in the language) they don't get as far from each other as English does.

the vowel in crêpe is like AYYY
/kɹeJp/
upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/44/En-us-crepe.ogg

You're an idiot

When I meet/chat to someone who is attempting to learn I'll maybe gently correct them, hopefully without appearing patronising.
When I was in France trying to learn, If I made mistakes I was told, no no, Just speak English, it's okay.
Why do you do that?

they can all be pronounced the same, but try to get the "th"

voiced and unvoiced "th" are common in other language
icelandic even has different characters for them
þ vs. ð

>beat
pronounce eat with a b at the beginning
>bit
pronounce it with a b at the beginning

it's not hard

to understand what gaiins want to say

he wasn't including the "as"
jesus christ

beat is like beet or feet
bit is like fit or tit, NOT feet

We usually don't really change loanwords. So that might have been the reason..

forvo.com/word/crêpe/#fr

何もない

yeah, that's how i say it too as i've studied french, but the 'ayy' pronounciation is the most frequent american english one (unfortunately)

You realise that the vowels in bit and beat are not the same sound? They don't just differ on the length of pronounciation. I would give an example but I can't speak frog.

Orthography.

Why the fuck isn't English a phonetic language, you fucking cunts.

Oh I know the difference. It's just completely foreign and my point was that such differences don't exist in French so it's hard to actually use it in daily conversation.
Maybe you had a bad experience. I actually like people speaking French and I've never seen much hostility with people having trouble with that.
Maybe you just met people that were too proud about being able to speak english so they wanted to boast

Just use English spelling. Color is simpler and uses less typing.

Using British only leads to raised eyebrows. People will think you're illiterate or a colonial slave.

Is English pronounce as written or otherwise?

Thank you for the feedback, you might misunderstood me, the "as" is as in = "equal to".

Is it clear as "d" or the lesser "S" sound?

>posting in broken English
>DUDE ENGLISH IS SO EASY ON DUOLINGO LOL

this needs to stop.

I know that English isn't a tonal language. But a lot of words sound like they have a "tonal-feel". An example: beat sounds like bít and bit sound like bịt.

We definitely use "th" and how different they sound varies from person to person
There and their are usually the same, they're can be more of a "thay'er"

>Pedofile isn't correct in English
>Instead you have to get a pedo pile

Pronunciation of Latin/French loanwords, place and people names.

maybe it's just a meme
I like to think anons only know meme English and try to speak to visitors in it

To get around the 'th' sounds, different foreigners use different sounds.
Germans and French use 'ze'.
Some use 'de', like the Irish.
Either is fine.

I really can't see what the difficulty with 'th' is. Put the tip of your tongue between slightly open teeth and blow. The voiced variant is the same with vibrating voice chords.

Or even worse: a paedophile

not
>paedofile
>by adding an a they stress the e more

"pedofile" is never correct. it's pedophile or pædophile (also written as paedophile)

I can only imagine how bad that chink's ""German""" is.

Is a speadophile a person who likes to go really fast? Or a person who likes to wear speedos?

Are there specific rules dir for when to use commas? It seems so arbitrary compared to German.

>I really can't see what the difficulty with 'th' is.
tell that to the japanese

I've encountered a few lads here who hate American French.
Most think the accents sound rather poetic. Frenchlads cringe.

How to not sound like a taco vendor.

When there is a natural pause in speech, or you want to separate two ideas in the same sentence. (Like here.)

>can german
this is becoming accepted vernacular speech in some dialects
people mostly say it with the knowledge it's incorrect but with the meaning coming across

give me some example sentences and i'll tell you yes/no/doesn't matter and explain why

comma is not required in

A spaedophile is a paedophile in speedos

Pick up the New York accent and pronounce them all as a nasal half D-T (a quick tap just on the upper back of the front teeth)
Added bonus of pissing off the English

A common one people miss online is when you're addressing someone by a name you're supposed to put a comma before it

Like this, Hans

loves and fears use greek
tachiophile would be a sexual attraction to speed?

This is called the 'vocative case'. Natives miss this all the time and it's confusing as fuck when they do.

oh shit never even realized that was a rule. is it really based on names?
i've obviously done it, always, just never been truly aware as to why.
interesting

So is it okay if I don't use the "th" sounds and make use of the "d" sound instead?

>Put the tip of your tongue between slightly open teeth and blow.
As how accidently burnt the tongue with hot tea?

Perfect tenses. Still unable to use 'em.

Doesn't have to be a name, it works for insults and that as well, yankee doodle

It's not "okay", it will out you as a foreigner

When you're 'calling' or 'addressing' anyone/thing really.

> Children, it's time to go to school.
> Anons, hello!

Oh, even French people have...difficulties with French.

yeah, guess i just never realized the case marking. easy to think those things for other languages but native languages just come so easily i don't think about it.
we often use the nominative case for vocative expressions though, since we don't apply any morphological rules to change or have an affected pronunciation/spelling
we do use pauses to offset it though, which is rendered as a command while writing

Separating ideas, thoughts and other things shouldn't be done with a comma; a comma should be used clarify words, such as this one, when you need to be more specific about it's meaning.