Windows 10

Now that the dust have settled, was it a worthwhile upgrade from 7, Sup Forums?
Does the pros outweigh the cons? Anything that still irks you?

Other urls found in this thread:

ufile.io/dh0ta
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Used 10 for a year on my desktop and 8.1 on my laptop, reverted both back to 7, albeit 8.1 behaved much better than 10

If you want boat, it's a great upgrade. Best move is to hold onto 7 for as long as possible.

*bloat

I see virtually no reason to upgrade from 8.1. And yes, I do use and love 8.1, and have for years.

Cons? Stability. Somehow everytime I do a new install of W10, maybe because it includes updates, it behaves differently. One time it doesn't want me to open the start menu even if I click 3 times, Windows update decides to take its sweet time and then tell me that that didn't work so I would have to start again, I have to uninstall Skype (which I don't want btw) so my hard drive isn't being abused... eventually there's workarounds, but the fucking OS is still in a beta stage and doesn't know what it wants to become each new big update. It used to be where MS would release service packs and actually make the thing better, but this time it seems a bit random because they seem to focus too much on putting new features that I'm certain many people don't give half a shit about.

I take shit for using 8.1 and I can understand that. What I can't understand is willingly upgrading to 10 -if- you happen to have issues with it, and previous versions don't, unless you're a beta tester.

Pretty much this

Wildly varying behaviour. Shit is half baked even with fall creators update.

I'm pleased with my LTSB system, but only after getting fed up with my Pro system.
if you're on Win 7 and it doesn't cause any problems, keep it.

Should've just added the updater from 10 to 7

how do i make this os look more comfy and aesthetically pleasing? i have to use win10 for work for a year and i miss a dock, a better start menu, a status bar on the top of the display etc.
is there any way to make win10 look better without having to install crappy 3rd party appications which will slow down and eventually crash everything?

Customization issues are my biggest gripe. Desktop environments and customization are why I still have a dual boot.
Why have they worked so hard to make it so difficult to customize windows?
Pic related took a good fucking half hour and I had to use third party software, not to mention that disgusting ribbon that still remains and the non contrasting text. Why can't I just fucking click a few buttons? Isn't windblows meant to be easier than linux?

shit is so wonky for me too, and I've had all kinds of weird fuckups, like the nightlight turning on and off just by itself and you cant fix it even with registry value changes. then the mouse not working, the BT shutting off where I had to use a ubuntu live usb to turn it back on, wifi not working at all, sound not working, all kinds of strange shit, and those USELESS as fuck microsoft support forums with a bunch of dothead retards telling you to wipe your computer, then with no OS on it, then you download the software. who the fuck is that goddamn stupid? that whole fucking part of the world needs to be wiped off the surface of the planet.

OldNewExplorer has existed for years.

Also using an UX patch installer doesn't take half an hour, just a few seconds and a reboot. The biggest issue with Windows 10 is how it suddenly decides that you should perhaps update and some themes will be broken.

what the hell are those colors? I love Windows 10 but honestly, customizing anything never crossed my mind. I still use the default desktop background.

I switched to Linux.

>Black background (if the text did contrast the letters would burn out your retinas in low light)
>Red accents
>Those macOS style window buttons
>Weird rounded scroll bars that look out of place when everything else is so square

Why do people with no taste always moan about a lack of customization options?

Yeah it's not great i'll give you that but I picked it pretty fast from a list of even more disgusting options.

>from a list of even more disgusting options.
So then what's the point? If you're only ever going to make it look worse.

Or is it a bit like having made your mark on that install of Windows(or Linux) even though you've made it look and be functionally worse?

works on my machineā„¢

its like im really on the MS support forums!!

Well it's not worse than default in my eyes. I can't stand a completely white blinding file explorer when i'm just looking to bonk my weiner in the dead of night. I'll fix it eventually but it serves that purpose mostly and I don't really care.

Windows 10 is alot like minecraft. If you have to mod it out the ass to get it to work properly, can you truly say it's a worthwhile product?

Windows 10 has an even worse UI than 8.x. I'm just going to keep using Win7 because it works, it looks good, and I know my way around it.

So turn on the night light.
also
>Actually customising your OS so you can have a more comfortable wank at 3AM.
>This not being a niche issue.

8.1 is better.
Sorry Pajeet.

>Actually customising your OS so you can have a more comfortable wank at 3AM.
>This not being a niche issue.
I'm still not sure how you can defend not having the option of having a permanent dark theme that is present across everything. Is that really a niche thing to want?
One day you are going to need to bust a nut more than life itself and you will understand.

>Windows 10 is alot like minecraft.
it certainly uses as much resources

Because having a black background just isn't very good UX design. White, light grey and cream colours are more distinguishable than black and very dark greys.

Isn't "good" subjective though? I never took any design classes and only compulsory webdev but I genuinely would prefer the bottom for readability and comfort every time across everything I use.
I'm 100% sure i'm not alone and it would surely be an easy implementation to have the OPTION hidden somewhere so why not?.

>was it

You're implying I was dumb enough to fall for it at all. Nope. I did install it in a VM once to see what the process was like, thinking about giving it a try on bare metal, but it was *so fucking creepy.*

>upgrade from 7
Did you mean downgrade from 7?

Well they give the option for UWP apps, I presume the legacy parts of Windows 10 were never coded with the intention that someone would want a black UI and to try to code it in would take a lot of effort to do.

If Microsoft managed to remove all legacy programs from Windows 10's default install then maybe you'll be able to masturbate without going blind...

In any case, fine the lower option does have light grey text. But the theme you use still has black text that is hard to read.

Recently put an SSD in a laptop and had to reinstall Win10 and I must say it was quite a easy to get it back to how I like it.
Of course it dose mean M$ is storing all my setting in their botnet but it's not my main PC (that runs Win7).

I've had no problems with that laptop. I don't like that they are watching everything I do but Win10 ain't to bad.

>implying that an average user had any privacy using windows computers connected to the internet in the first place
meh
Windows 10 is more of a botnet than 7, but most of the telemetry shit can be disabled one way or another. Just use cracked Enterprise and disable it via group policy, that should do. Maybe add a hosts file and set the firewall accordingly just to be sure, although I do not recommend it, it may cause breakage.
From that point on, there is no real reason not to upgrade to windows 10. Guys in here complain that it breaks and whatnot, but that's kinda obvious if one uses obsolete hardware, is unable to spend ten minutes of de-bloating and manages to infect their machine almost instantly.
I've been using win10 for the past year or so and there's nothing noticeably wrong with it. Prove me otherwise.

Your customization is edgy shit but you have a point.

I love the Win10 functionality, but it's a mystery to me why did they restrict user customization so heavily.
I'm not sure was it 7 or XP where you were able to change pretty much every single color and font used in OS which was unintentionally supported by the vast majority of applications due to them often using system defaults.
You also could use a webpage as your desktop background. I remember making a huge-ass Warcraft III button from the Frozen Throne logo because I was playing that shit all the time and having my desktop reflect that was something neat (14yo me, by the way - the same mentality as all these degenerative "ricers" here, but that's beside the point).
All of the above was accessible from the regular GUI and required no 3rd party software or even registry tweaking.

I can't understand the reasoning behind the removal, neither do I understand why wasn't it re-implemented - which is piss easy to do - given GUI customization is a very popular demand.

Well in my country ISPs have to keep a 1 year long database of all websites I've visited and if any of them imply I'm using a VPN or Tor or something then apparently you're instantly put on a watch list.

Basically I couldn't really give a fuck what Microsoft is doing when my country's government are going full Orwell.

These.

Black design is god tier for your eyes. Nigga

Good UI should work in high contrast due to disabilities.

>Black design is god tier for your eyes. Nigga
That's false and you have no idea what you're talking about.

>Nigga
I always instantly imagine pic related when I see that used online.

If eye scorching white backgrounds were not bad explain why flux and similar blue light removal tweaks are so prominent.

White design is good in daylight when you're outside in the sun. The other time of the day in dim light black is best

>you're wrong because I say so
Now that's an argument.

Yeah of course, the vast majority of people use their computer past midnight. Or during the day in a basement or with their curtains shut.

Hardly anyone uses their computer in sunlight.

Same shit. Backpedaled on the ui design and put in botnets. If win 7 support wasn't ending in 2 years I would stick with win 7

Back when computers displayed green text on black background shit was perfectly acceptable.

Ever wonder why production software like most video editors, photoshop and the like have dark UI?

Probably a reason only applicable to graphics software.

DAWs use almost exclusively dark UIs too.

It's only when you're dealing with word and excel where it makes sense to have a light UI.

this, when inevitable comes I'll just buy another SSD for linux and localize win10 with gaymes on separate drive

>was it a worthwhile upgrade from 7
>Does the pros outweigh the cons?
Yes. It takes some hardcore wrestling with system for power after installation, but afterwards it's smooth sailing.

>Anything that still irks you?
Start menu is a fucking app. Seriously who thought this is a good idea?
Worse backwards compatibility than 7 (meaning more W95/W98 programs won't run, sad).
Can't think of anything else.

Did finally come some ultimate solution for blocking all telemetry?

my vm is still 7

Unless you're brainlessly staring in the general direction of your display, working on a PC mainly involves reading text. There was a good number of studies regarding the subject and the common conclusion is "reading dark text on a light background is considerably easier than in the reversed conditions". It's even more prominent if the reader in question has bad eyesight.

That being said, my point remains - you not only have no idea what you're talking about - you haven't even bothered to do literally any amount of research when you were called out on your bullshit. Nice projecting, though.

If you know what you're doing it's not too hard user consider just getting better themes also install mactype for better font rendering

>there's nothing noticeably wrong with it. Prove me otherwise.
can't pick what updates get installed and updates revert your settings, remove your software and usually reinstalls the bloat, the only shit w10 has over 7 is DX12 and that's pretty irrelevant

hate the ui

I'll have a look for something less dumb. Any recommendations for a tasteful dark theme?

>If you want boat
FUCK YES I WANT BOAT, GODDAMN.

WINDOWS 10, HERE I COME!

Just pirate, there's no boat cooler than a pirate's ship.

>can't pick what updates get installed
And why would you? To not install botnet updates? lol
Let me ask you this: how do you plan to check the entire code of every single update to see whether it adds something unwanted to your computer or not? You won't because you can't. Microsoft can send you a "security" update with a hidden keylogger inside and you would have no way of finding it out. Therefore, there is no rational reason for you to pick and choose your updates because you don't have the slightest idea what they will do to your computer anyway. Just assume that they are all fine and stop this tin-foil hat SJW bullshit.

>updates revert your settings
Valid point, but that's not a serious flaw - they can re-enable telemetry at their best, which is not that big of a deal to worry about.

>remove your software
No. I have never witnessed, read or even seen a slight mention of windows deleting any software whatsoever.
Oh wait, after a bit of googling I've found that MS has uninstalled certain incompatible AV's after feature updates to ensure system stability. How malevolent of them.

>reinstalls the bloat
No. After you uninstall shit like one drive, it never comes back. Not even after feature updates.

>DX12 and that's pretty irrelevant
And additional security measures, which is also 100% irrelevant.
Windows Defender is one of the very few non-shit AV's as of late. Besides that, win10 has ensured vulnerability patches via -guess-what- forced updates, which you utterly despise for no reason whatsoever. They no longer force restarts and you can even pause them, should you ever need to.

GNU/Linux

you stupid cuck

NIGGER, WHAT KIND OF BOAT DID YOU THINK I MEANT?

WINTENSHIP, AHOY!

>working on a PC mainly involves reading text
Depending on what you work with, not really, no.

>you not only have no idea what you're talking about - you haven't even bothered to do literally any amount of research when you were called out on your bullshit. Nice projecting, though.
Here's my peer reviewed study: "it looks better to me so I'll keep using it".

The one thing that absolutely kills it for me are the annual, completely unnecessary bloat updates that have the size of a new OS. Will Microsoft ever stop doing those?

windows 10 is garbage and only Microsoft employees would defend it.

t. mactoddler shill

I'm trying my hardest to avoid putting it on my new computer. I'll have to do without some chipset drivers though.

pros: it gave me moments of hilarity when coworkers found their pc has automatically rebooted during lunch for installing updates, just for the installation to fail and having to wait hours for the rollback to succeed

cons: the worst windows version ever, i will never touch that shit, also the most shilled in Sup Forums, I quit coming here because at least half of the board was filled with w10 thre(ads)

It sucks. Tried to use it earlier. Don't even know why I bothered.
>Tried to use a scanner
>Needed software
>Click windows store download free app
>There is a problem on our end...
>Boot Linux partition
>Standard scanner software already installed
>Works with scanner
>Job done
Fuck Windows

And why do I have to pirate Media Center now ?
What is up with that ? Just put it in the OS like you always did , and why can't I easily exchange files in Hyper V like I could in VM on Windows 7.

Like they purposely went out of their way to make things more difficult.

ARM on desktop when?

windows 7 is too old. what are you? 40 or something?

I'm not crazy about 7, but I like 8.1. I wanted to stay on 8.1, but then I heard they'll be dropping support for it way sooner than 7, ffs. So I gave 10 a try, and turns out I kinda like it. It's actually much like 8.1. I turned of some of the more aggressive phone-home bullshit, but most of it turned out pretty innocent. The start menu is just as crap as 8.1, so classic shell is a must, but after that it's fine. I also like the linux subsystem, which is a nice extra.

I bet you are one of these faggots who hated on Win 8 and then 8.1 because of Metro and generally because FUCKING MICROSOFT and know you say it's good. There is literally nothing wrong with WIndows 10 if you aren't complete brainlet who doesn't know how to remove botnet and don't even start with that crap that older Windowses didn't have botnet inside.

>Go to check my e-mail at Hotmail
>It's fucking Outlook
Does this mean I have to tie my e-mail to my system and not passively ignore the Outlook function?

t. brainlet

I gave both Windows 10 on a surface (made for it) and linux on my desktop.

In Linux if I want to do something it just does it, assuming that I'm right. Windows meanwhile I feel like I have to argue with it. It's like someone who wants to teach you something but instead of letting you try it just sighs and says "give it to me" and does it themselves.

Except it isn't that good itself so you get this feeling that Windows is exasperated and assumes you're an idiot.

So, what do I do now?

Honestly though, what's the best course of action at this point? Keep in mind, I'm a poorfag

>So, what do I do now?
Nothing - it'll work just fine.

Or even better, find a used Pro key online and use it to upgrade your Home.

>"it looks better to me so I'll keep using it"
And that's a perfectly valid point.

No need to make up fairy tales trying to justify a thing you like - that's stupid as fuck and makes you look like an insecure kiddo.

Exactly, complaining about it is just people being edgy tin foilers, if people really were into some shady shit, I'm danger of being on a watch list etc they wouldn't be on here or even online without a prosthetic mask/burner phone/or off grid 100% everybody who is not employed cash only or something is on a system somewhere..

When was anyone "making up fairy tales"?

I love how you keep using terms like "insecure" and "call you out on your bullshit" in response to a someone making a simple claim that they want dark backgrounds because it doesn't hurt their eyes.

In.""

>in response to a someone making a simple claim that they want dark backgrounds because it doesn't hurt their eyes
But that wasn't the claim user. Were that to be the claim - I would've not said anything.

But that was the claim user. Were you not a gigantic fucking autist, you wouldn't be taking part in this discussion to begin with.

>But that was the claim user
>reading comprehension

>But that wasn't the claim user.
>reading comprehension

I'm gonna go and do something useful with my life now, don't bother replying.

>no u
>no reply pls

I think it's ok (win10). The main complaints seem to be around added functionality. Who says windows needs to be just an OS?

>he doesn't still use vista

>who cares i have nothing to hide
Give me your online banking login and password and a classy dick pic. NOW.

how can i get my windows to look like that?

You don't really care about the banking logon.

>he doesn't know you can still get windows 10 license for free by upgrading
nigga I've been running a business selling schmucks genuine windows 10 license for 100 bucks as compared to the original price of 199

I've been using PC since ~1997 and I don't see any difference performance-wise between Windows 7 and Windows 10.
Both run pretty damn fast without any issues.

Even then if you don't ever activate nothing happens but a watermark. And if that bothers you get kmspico

Moat people view pictures and videos as well as play video gayms on their PCs. Text is really not that main of a focus.

Even text heavy tasks like coding are best done on dark UIs.

Like mentioned before. Light UIs are good for outside in the sun and writing in word. A metric ton of pro shit is best in dark mode.

nigger I'm talking about a digital license you can tie with your fucking microsoft account
kmspico is good but it is not a permanent solution
also, I'm making 100 bucks off of idiots for this so there's that (I tell em I'm an employee at microsoft)
There was a curious fag like you who thought I was using activator like kmspico and when I reinstalled win10 in front of him with the license still intact and linked it to his microsoft account he shit bricks

Here's a KMS activator that works on my machine. It should crack every version of windows 10.
ufile.io/dh0ta

I'd recommend that anyone who wants this just goes to mydigitallife forums and get it from the original source.
I have never gotten anything malicious from Sup Forums before but you never know.

licences are now tied to your hardware.

I wiped win10 off this laptop, then reinstalled it with the MS tool

shit just activated

It depends on what type of key I think.