/Fedora/ - /fed/ - general thread

Itt we wait for the 3rd best distro's 27th edition to be released today. Red Hat and CentOS being 1st and 2nd place of course.

Other urls found in this thread:

getfedora.org/en/workstation/download/
dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/releases/27/Everything/x86_64/os/Packages/
apps.fedoraproject.org/packages/
fedoraproject.org/wiki/DNF_system_upgrade#How_many_releases_can_I_upgrade_across_at_once.3F
projectatomic.io/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Homepage has changed, here it comes!

Downloads are live!

>his distro has releases
Top cuck

You really guys like breaking your OS after a kernel upgrade.

what is wrong with that?

>breaking your OS
explain

Search "kernel update fedora broke".

>doing free daily bug testing with a rolling release

>release cuck
>excited for his next wave of enterprise bug testing

Loving every laugh

Can I get a release of Fedora with KDE that doesn't crash every 20 seconds without doing absolutely anything?

having fedora on 2 notebooks since 3 years, never had any problems.

THANK YOU BASED RED HAT

>GNOME

What am I looking at?

>All thos....
>Icons wi....
>Labels li...

GNOME Boxes running GNOME.

>red hat
>paying
piss off dickhead

works for me

>Fedora
>never had any problems

Labels are acceptable in app menus, just not main screens

It's because of the 1000x600 desktop size.

i have 2 questions
- is there x86-32bit support?
- why is there no list of all packages and their versions in every release?

You can browse through all the packages here:
dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/releases/27/Everything/x86_64/os/Packages/

There's a 32 bit net install image on this page:

Don't forget to try out RHEL through GNOME Boxes.

Just upgraded

pretty gud

i mean the pkgs that come with the install
>There's a 32 bit net install image on this page:
are there any plans or rumors of dropping it

That depends on what you choose at the software selection point of the install. I don't know a way to see the packages that would be installed at that point, but once your install is up you can use 'yum list installed' to see everything.

They'll support the 32 until Fedora 27 goes eol, but RHEL has already dropped 32, so I don't know what their plans are for 28, 29...

Been running the F27 LXDE spin since the beta release. The main difference I noticed Firefox 57. It's fast. Shame about them getting in to a contest with Chrome to see who hates their users the most though.

They've been toying with the idea on the development mailing list since at least 24. I think the most likely thing to happen is they procrastinate for another year or two and start treating 32 bit like they do ARM 64bit.

>is there x86-32bit support?
sadly, yes. I voted to have them dropped, they'll be dropped in the next cycle eventually.
>why is there no list of all packages and their versions in every release?
apps.fedoraproject.org/packages/
There could be intra-release version upgrades, so it would be pretty moot.

>not updated in three months because an update a while ago broke my system
going to try again in the new year

works on my machine

>I voted to have them dropped
why?

It has been obsoleted for more than a decade already, the kernel's upstream considers i686 bugs as low-priority and packages on the x86 arch are invariably only tested on x86_64, which leads to some unpredictable aberrations on some i686 builds. qemu is affected too. The question should be "why should we keep it?" and the only answer is "we shouldn't". It's out of the scopes for a distro like Fedora, unless obviously you want to step up and take care of upstream bugs.

Uhm. My T420s is still running Fedora 25. Can I skip a release when upgrading or will everything fall apart?

I went from 24 to 26 thinking it'd be alright but I ended up with a bunch of services being duplicated - it all worked fine but startup was slower as a result and I had some minor warnings, I think there were some systemd changes between those releases that would have been resolved had I updated properly

Any spoonfeed to get bfs/bfq on fedora?

>"kernel update fedora broke"
>literally 2 results
>both of them b8
>not a single broken kernel

Fedora is literally the best thing after sliced bread.

does the netinstall ISO with the minimal option still install network manager and other bloat?

i use rawhide upgrading every six months sucks

Advantages of Fedora over Debian or Debian-based systems as a daily driver? Both Stable and Testing, that is?

fedoraproject.org/wiki/DNF_system_upgrade#How_many_releases_can_I_upgrade_across_at_once.3F

Read it entirely.

Are you some sort of savant who doesn't know the effect of quotes in a google search, or is it weak bait?

You should compare Ubuntu with Fedora and Debian with RHEL/Centos. Fedora is tailored for Desktop use.

The nice thing about Fedora is that the projects tends to add lots of new features with each release. The problems they only care for Gnome so the other spins suffer a bit.

Isn't GNOME boxes just a frontend for KVM?

bfq exists only in bfq-mq, for the "old" bfq nowadays you should get out-of-trees patches and you're on your own. Hint, you don't want to use mq unless you know exactly what you're doing. Hint, you don't.
bfs has never been relevant. CFQ is fine. deadline is edgy already, since you're giving up nice priorities.

90% of them are related to noobs dealing with kmods and horrible blobs. Only one result from $current_year. It's fucking nothing.

>frontend for KVM
jeez. you mean libvirt.

which is a frontend for kvm

>lennartware

qemu, which can take advante of virt-manager or boxes, which in turn can use other virtualization technologies as well

>trying this hard
shoo shoo

alright you win

Why would i want to use fedora over ubuntu?

How many of you will play with Atomic?

projectatomic.io/

The cloud image is pretty neat on openstack, I don't plan to use kubernetes or docker

What apps are missing from Fedora repo that you zant to see packaged?

If you mean the standard non-fusion repo then definitely mpv and neovim and docker

At least my home laptop didn't broke with this update. Tomorrow I will be having rough start at work.

Not gonna lie. Fedora it pretty cozy.

why not just use virt-manager?

>mum cancel my meetings, pacman broke my install again

devuan is better

>arch user
>meetings