I hate Oracle and I don't know why

I am currently working on an Oracle database and others Oracle technologies around it, like Pro*C. And I absolutely hate it. When I work on Oracle Technology, I most of the time feel a kind of gigantic hate, the kind of hate that makes me want to shit a huge 3m hammer and then use it to destroy my keyboard then my screen then my tower then every computer inside the building then myself.

However, I am even more frustrated because I am not even sure why I hate it do much. All I know is that I do, it's kind of subconscious. Do someone here has a kind of list of why Oracle sucks that much and / or why I (as a C/C++ developper) hate it that much ? And if anybody has a solution about my anger issue, I would gladly kiss him anywhere he wants...

Other urls found in this thread:

vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/whitepaper/solutions/oracle/understanding_oracle_certification_support_licensing_vmware_environments-white-paper.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>. Do someone here has a kind of list of why Oracle sucks that much and / or why I (as a C/C++ developper) hate it that much ?
As a C++ developer, there is nothing more that I hate than Microsoft.

The Oracle DB is actually a very good RDBMS, expensive as hell but it performs really well and is reliable if properly maintained. It's very dependent on optimizer statistics, and if you fill a table from zero to millions of rows rapidly you sometimes need to frequently run them, but overall it's a good DB with a good knowledgebase online and people have worked for it for years.

The rest of their shit, I never really interacted with. Only reason I interact with Oracle DB is because I work on SAP shit all day and a lot of customers use Oracle as the DBMS.

They killed Solaris. On of the last truly certified Unix which was actually pretty neat. I will never forgive this. Also these faggots turned it closed sourced after Sun aquisition and even after the killing they still won't release source. Fucking assholes.

Microsoft has their own C++. It's just a (((coincidence))) that it is called the same as that other C++ language.
>DWORD
>2017
>still not fully supporting at least one C++ standard
>still not supporting C11

Why did Oracle make their own Linux when they Solaris / Illumos? Is it RedHat Competition?

Oracle killed Solaris because their greed made it so.

Customers were used to buying POWER* systems from IBM, or HP-UX hardware from HP. But Sun eventually took certified Solaris from just their own hardware to partner hardware like Dell and HP and Fujitsu. But SPARC started to stagnate as Intel's performance improved, and running Linux on VMWare gave you 95%+ of the benefit of Solaris at a tenth of the price. AIX is dying in the enterprise for the same reason.

At this point without a major development org releasing Solaris source is kind of pointless.

Oracle Linux lets them piggy back off of RHEL while adding support for their own technologies and licensed shit. It also lets them license software to customers under the guise that it's "one neck to strangle", now rather than having an issue with your application and Red hat blames oracle + Oracle blames red hat, Oracle ultimately has to own the support and resolution.

Because companies will gladly pay for support on their distro which 'guarantees' 100% compatibility with their DB products.

Interesting that you're even using pro*c. It's become very much a niche product (and has probably not changed since the early 90's).

the problem with oracle is that it's a DB company that wants a piece of every technology market out there, so they're ruthless as fuck. they sue others out of nowhere and don't even want to deal with java anymore because the minds behind it left the company.

You can't even call oracle just a DB company with the number of other shit they have... PeopleSoft, Siebel, Hyperion, BEA, Sun, Taleo, MICROS, Netsuite... they're fucking everywhere.

Oracle tends to buy precarious garbage, use their leverage to force it into being an industry standard, and then ruin it as had as they can.

It's entirely understandable that you would hate them and everything they touch.

modern Java (9) is quite nice honestly. Of course it offers less syntactic sugar than C# but than again not everything has to be a race

It's easy to hate Oracle once you see their anti-competitive, ridiculous licensing practices.
Want to use something other than Oracle Linux and Oracle VM? Too bad, you'll have to license your entire cluster for Oracle Database instead of the resources you assigned to it.
Are you enjoying that Amazon AWS? Have fun getting charged double for running Oracle Database there and being forced into Oracle's service.
It amazes me how their customers enjoy so much being throughly raped in the ass.

db2 licensing is not much better
MSSQL is windows only and not much better licensing is per core
nobody wants to run enterprise shit on free databases because it's generally not supported by enterprise software vendors

The company I’m currently working on was victim of one of their license traps and got bullied into buying Exadata.

At least MSSQL doesn't care if you are using VMware. With Oracle you have no choice but switching or licensing the whole ESX host/cluster. Oh and the additional cost of getting a consultant tell you the exact same thing.

Vmware seems to indicate the same, assuming you don't license it by the frame and instead license the cores / use Vsphere to restrict them.

vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/whitepaper/solutions/oracle/understanding_oracle_certification_support_licensing_vmware_environments-white-paper.pdf

I work for SAP though so I just deal with customers who have Oracle licenses, not actually dealing with Oracle licensing.

>The rest of their shit, I never really interacted with.
You lucky lucky bastard.

SQL guy here. Writing SQL in Oracle compared to MSSQL makes my eyes bleed excrement. Every query is like having a tooth pulled compared to MSSQL. The last good thing about Oracle SQL was a couple of the pre-compiled functions that MSSQL didn’t have but these are now available in MSSQL 2017.

True but SQL Server licensing requirements around VM virtual cores are brutal. 4 virtual core minimum per VM. If you’re only licensed for 8 cores there’s your two VMs gone.

I work in the software industry, and listening to the lack of understanding about the market forces involved with these products and companies literally never fails to crack me up.

Everything isn’t a conspiracy to ruin you Mickey Mouse open source weirdware. Companies like oracle couldn’t care less about that

Fuck off GPLtard, all the good shit is already in Illumos, Solaris was already dead when Oracle half-assedly buried it.
What's rage-inducing is what they did to the shit tons of drivers, patches and packages Sun hosted for free. Now to get something like a SunPCi running you either need to know someone with a multi-million dollar support contract or dig through FTP search engines and forums full of smug luddites who hoard it all and brag about it while lecturing anyone who asks for help about "copyright concerns."
That's why Oracle should go fuck itself.

Ellison is the biggest tool in the universe. I can feel his dickhead vibe leak into everything oracle acquires.

I love Solaris and muh SPARC64 CPU.