Is there any practical use (besides nostalgia) for MS-DOS in 2017?

Is there any practical use (besides nostalgia) for MS-DOS in 2017?

K

I put it on my uni laptop for note taking.

>user can I borrow your laptop
>Sure, here you go *boots into DOS*
>Ah... never mind, I'll ask someone else

Why not run Linux with no gui

I don't want to be marked as a nerd.

>runs an ancient os instead
Okay Wizard

H I M E M . S Y S
I
M
E
M
S
Y
S

I heard it is still used in some U.S millitary base because the MS DOS program that calculates food supplies works great and that they don't need to risk upgrading.

Why use MS-DOS when FreeDOS can do? The latter has far better support for modern hardware, and is binary compatible with everything for the former.

CNC machines and other industrial equipment.

It's not fully compatible.
For games and some industrial software, it can have problems.

MS-DOS was obsolete the second it was released.

sextris

Flashing your shitty UEFI firmware of choice when it's a bloated mess yet doesn't have a way of updating itself.
Granted, FreeDOS usually works well enough for that and you don't need to head to an abandonware/retroshit site first.
>Over 57,000 downloads of #FreeDOS during month of October!
>A little above average compared to the last few months (May-Oct).

get the fokin' POW-WA.... POWASHELL!

i still use find-stringies. they're useful for chopping up large flat files, or appending them together, without raping all you ram out the window trying to open / import them

>I heard it is still used in some U.S millitary base because the MS DOS program that calculates food supplies works great and that they don't need to risk upgrading.

yea.... floppy disks are still used for some stuff. launching nukes being one of those last time i heard. makes sense in a lot of ways... a floppy is hackable when its sat in a disk box, doesn't need to store much information etc...

I think doctors in ?sweden? up until recently used to distribute their patient lists on floppy disks as transmitting it over the net wasn't considered secure enough and the lists aren't that long.

i've considered getting a floppy drive and some disks just for storing code on, so i can't accidentally delete it as easily

Like what?

>a floppy is hackable

isn't.... even

Probably better to just get an external HDD for backups

>patient lists on floppy disks
They could just bulk order some CD-RWs instead.

That's so smart user. Good for you!