What is some old/outdated tech you still use? Does it do its job well or are you just using it for the novelty of it?

What is some old/outdated tech you still use? Does it do its job well or are you just using it for the novelty of it?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=mYW2jfsZ2Ro
ark.intel.com/products/35428/Intel-Core2-Quad-Processor-Q9650-12M-Cache-3_00-GHz-1333-MHz-FSB
apple.com/shop/reviews/MD506LL/A/apple-85w-magsafe-2-power-adapter-for-macbook-pro-with-retina-display
nscope.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

my thinkpad and my model m

I still have a CRT tv. I would be fine using it as long as it works, but practically nothing outputs scart/s-video anymore. I'm trying to repair the motherboard of an old PC which has the last model videocard which still outputs s-video (a radeon HD4870). This is my last hope to keep using it to watch series and movies.

It's weird, but finding s-video to usb converter/recorder is still easy and they're really cheap too. The other way around however, which should be much simpler you'd think, is near impossible.

These are completely outdated in comparison to their solid state brethren.

Like a muthafuckin' boss

>using old tech for novelty
>and not enjoyment
you're doing it wrong

I still use an early 90s sony alarm clock radio
It looks like this but it's a dark grey not light grey like this pictured one.

what is that user?
laser for what?

ayyy, same here bro
currently OC'd to 4.2ghz (for the past couple months) and has been doing me good since 2012

I've had mine since 2011. I mean a slight downside that with it and my video card (770gtx) I can't run the newest of the new stuff great and forget VR, but it's still good for a lot of things out there that are older. Plenty of old good games out there.

Yeah I was using mine up until this year. There have been no major improvements since Sandy Bridge outside of power consumption (TDP). Intel kinda focused on mobile efficiency for awhile.

The modern chips are starting to look like a decent upgrade though. I'm scrapping my desktop for a modern thinkpad soon though. My 2500K lasted 7-8 years while doing an excellent job at all my processing needs. Thats pretty impressive for tech.

Gotta love a good CRT. Those scanlines and low input lag are great. Their size and power consumption and weight are the biggest downsides of an otherwise excellent and smooth picture.

Nothing beats this guy's keyboard for texts and emails and some web browsing. I love it. I just wish they'd had opened up their bootloader to custom roms. I don't really use apps so this guy really got me through a lot of mobile cellular shit really comfortably.

I ended up selling my Model M and using a Unicomp. Its not the same quality level as the Model M but Unicomp switches are a bit crispy since the metal is all new. Looks better at my workstation with the black chasis and white and grey keys.

Those Model-M's have some solid ass chasis though. The molding on the plastic is perfect.

I know that feel, my q10 was super nice. I wish I hadn't updated it to 10.3.3 though, absolutely ruined my battery life and led to me getting another phone eventually.

Thats more a fault of you GPU, not the CPU's fault. You could get a newer GPU and the i5-2500K would handle all your processing loads perfectly fine. Just slap a good heatsink on her and overclock her to 4.2 - 4.5 Ghz and you've got a nice running CPU there. I've frequently gotten mine to around 4.9 - 5.0 with an expensive cooler but it wasn't worth the price vs a budget cooler that gets the job done for a 1/5th of the cost.

occasionally i listen to vinyl and use a film SLR just to be a faggot hipster, but my sansa clip+ still gets regular unironic use

Yeah the Clip+ is an excellent little Mp3 player. Just throw rockbox on it and a fat SD card and thats all you need. Ipod Killer.

x200 with gentoo and libeboot

Does it matter that my motherboard isn't pci-express 3 because that came out like right after I got it. Are video cards relying on that much yet?

The oldest technology I use on a daily basis is an EliteBook 8740W. Although it's far from perfect, it's a hell of a lot better than any laptop made in this last decade.

posted this in the FreeBSD thread that is up.

Currently working on a 866Mhz P3 with 512mb of ram and a Riva TNT2 64
Doing a FreeBSD install on it and hoping to get a functional desktop out of it by the end of today
should be a fun project.

guts for anyone interested. it also has a tulip based 3com card, and a 4 port usb 2.0 pci card I had around
which helps a lot because it only has 2 usb 1.1 ports

I hope you air can that it looks so sad.

We have some machines that use Elasticsearch 1.x. That more or less qualifies consdering everything else is 5.x, or at the least 2.x.

I have a CRT, a Sony PVM that I use to get the best quality possible from old videogame consoles

IBM Model M from 1988
Technics SU-VX620 amplifier from 1992

I've been using both for years without problems. No reason to upgrade yet.

>bought iPod video in 2006
>11 years of daily use for several hours
>dropped tons of times
>battery still works very well, no internal HDD problems

FUCKING HOW?

quick google says it's a laser cutter

Because they were actually built half decently

Do you not have an HD CRT?

this is why apple don't make much money from ipod sales, they're built to last so no one ever needs an upgrade.

Televisions use different phosphors than computer monitors. They have a warmer and slower picture which is pleasing and good for movies. HD doesn't really have anything to do with it, but there were some XGA resolution CRT TVs in the 1990s, and a couple of 1080i CRT TVs with HDMI in the 2000s.

Requirement analysis was well done.

Marantz from the 1970's. Fun to show off to guests, but it also sounds amazing.

Forgot example pic

I write code in C, not C++, if you consider computer languages tech.

printf("%s\n", "Hello, World!");

Redpill me on why I need a Marantz when I use a computer for listening to music.

I still use a CRT monitor on my desktop because it doesn't have a native resolution like LCD monitors do. I also listen to broadcast radio on a late 80s GE clock radio because it works and there's no need to replace it until it breaks.

Ayyy. It works well enough for me especially since I have a boss graphics card

Same except I lost it travelling a a year ago.

These where some of the best CPU's intels made in a while. My 2600k is still able to handle pretty much anything I can throw at it. It over clocked really well with just a better air cooler.

Its been my video card that's not aged so well.

I have an original 30GB zune I still use at work to listen to music. Battery is shot so it needs to stay plugged in all the time. I've managed to shock quiet a few people that there still a kind of functioning one left.

cout

I've been using that for years in my car.

I have a super old version of the logitech trackman marble ball thumb trackball
>looks like pic related but more beat up and the cord is white

it's the only mouse I own and I'd never get rid of it
I played half-life opposing force with this thing when that was a new game and you can't replace that kind of muscle memory(or the all gold wiring)

Analog oscilloscopes. They're good enough for what I use them for and aesthetically pleasing.

those things are cool as fuck and I wish I had a use for them so I could have a bunch in my room

My C3000 has pretty much been my main desktop for a while now. It's more entertaining to write useless toy software and pretend to be important when the target system carried a price tag that belongs in a car dealership.

I used to own that thing's much bigger brother.

Which brand? Tek?

Wired mouse
Old compilers (for hobby purposes)

I have a small hand cranked german drill press from the 1930s. It probably was used in the nazi war machine.

i7 920 crew here. Haven't touched a thing on this rig in ten years and it's still going strong. Literally never going to upgrade at this rate.

>used to
What did you do with it? Last i checked those things were worth a small fortune.

My 2216B is on whenever I'm at my battlestation, driving my desktop speakers. Probably about a dozen hours a week on average. Never been repaired/restored beyond replacement lamps, and still sounds great to me.

I was using a ThinkPad T42 as a distraction-free note taking machine since I have no restraint and usually have a chat window open or something on my more modern laptop. My GPA went up, I learned more, and I barely have to read the assigned texts, since I'm now actually listening to lectures. It died on me recently, though. :(

Also stopped carrying a smartphone, and started using a Palm III. It has contacts, a nice calendar, and a note taking app. I feel more at peace since I'm not constantly online, and I'm not "at work" 24/7. The smartphone stays at home, and only leaves the house when I know I'll need my work's chat client and navigation.

I bought a keyboard for it, so instead of lugging a T42 to class up a hill, I just need to take the tiny folding keyboard and Palm with me for notes.

We're just using 90s tech, but everything is HD and has distractions built in, and it also spies on you.

A few different brands. BK, Tektronix, Megure, Radiom Copenhagen, Telequipment. Basically every old scope not made by Tektronix is a clone of Tektronix tho.

I upgraded to a Soundblaster ZxR for dat low-latency 192bit HD audio fidelity. Still miss the retro dials/guages on the marantz, but the decreased lag and higher nitrate sound more than makes up for it.

>decreased lag
I'm confused. What was causing lag with your old setup?

I suspect the inteferrence owes to an old/slightly damaged pcie cable.

>grey

I really like old tech, particularly 80s and early 90s stuff.
Here's some of what I have and regularly use. (modern keyboard I know, but the caps are an actual set from the 80s)

I still used floppy disks at work

Plenty of Cnc machines have no other interface

do want

iPhone 7

windows

I have a IIIc that I still use for my to-do list and other notes, but I find it a bit too bulky for carrying around in my pocket. I don't have a smartphone at all, but I'll probably get an iPhone eventually.

Right now if I need to make a portable shopping list or something, I go even more old-fashioned and and use a pen and paper.

>some old/outdated tech you still use?
vinyl records for djing
>Does it do its job well
when I'm playing at home yes it's funny as fuck, otherwise shits too heavy and annoying to manage I use cd decks.
thinking about buying an akai S950 too, cheap old sampler that sound lofi

I love the fact that this consumer audio product has an oscilloscope. That is cool as shit.

I read a bit about that recently. Surprisingly it doesn't make as big as a difference as one might think. Read up on it a little bit and I'm pretty sure you should come to the same conclusion. Try a modern mid line budget card like a 1050ti or whatever AMD's equivalent is.

Just buy a lithium ion battery replacement. At most you only need is soldering (or duct tape if you're cheap enough)

Kek remind me of this
m.youtube.com/watch?v=mYW2jfsZ2Ro

An old ibm computer with an amd k_6 inside , it has Windows 98 so i don't use it at all, except for ms.dos booting

My Reel to Reel machine.

What do you use them for?

Better question is what outdated tech DON'T I still use?

My old LGA 775 socket Core2Quad Q9650 still in use today, no real reason to upgrade.

ark.intel.com/products/35428/Intel-Core2-Quad-Processor-Q9650-12M-Cache-3_00-GHz-1333-MHz-FSB

Do you ever touch your dick onto the display?

same except the headphone jack went out and i havent bothered to replace it a second time so i just stopped using it

most people here know the Q9650 specs, you don't have to post the ark page, you dumb-dumb

I use one from what I can only guess is the late 70s/early 80s.

>most

2016+1 I wouldn't be so sure about that.

you're delusional
most people browse 9fag and stay on facecuck/plebbit

i'm pretty sure this place is 80% oldfags

>Keysight equipment
Y E S
E
S

looks nice

In a loose sense I suppose since Keysight acquired Agilent and Agilent acquired HP's test equipment division but I don't actually have any modern Keysight equipment.

I've had mine running at 4.7 ghz @ 1.32v vcore since 2012. It still handles everything I throw at it just fine.

They have cheapened out on cables too. My powerbook G4 charger from 2001 is in better condition than a large amount of magsafe 2 chargers.
apple.com/shop/reviews/MD506LL/A/apple-85w-magsafe-2-power-adapter-for-macbook-pro-with-retina-display

I still have a Zune HD.
Best sound I've ever heard coming out of a device of that size. Heck, it has a better sound chip than my PC.

How did you acquire so many of them ? I couldn't find any below the price of 150$ and those were really beaten up. I am an EE student, and really need a fucking Oscilloscope, I'm tired of having to go to collage every time I need to use it for something arbitrary

My PS4

>durable
>cheap
>superior sound quality compared to what your shit speakers can offer
>looks cool
>can be paired with a ton of different HiFi equipment to look even cooler and produce even better sound

You can find them online for 15$, not only Marantz, there are ton of good companies that produced HiFi systems during 70s-80s like Grundig, Sony, Hitachi ... My father got me into this and so far we acquired some 30 different amps, equalizers,decks, Revelbaratiors, cd players .. my basement looks like a forgotten 80s supply storage

>15$
You forgot a zero there.

Mine is still going strong as well

I use mechanical calipers because they justwerk and never need battery replacement in contrast to that digital junk.

Let me guess you only used shitty chink digital calipers that draw power like a motherfucker.

Batteries in decent ones will last at least a decade.

nscope.org/

Have you try asking around in your college or some local tech company?
These things are just thrown away these days.

>100$ for 100kHz
Wow what an abortion.
Even the shittiest Hantek USB scope kicks the shit out of that and it costs half as much.

Why do I feel like EE has had a spike in popularity lately? Fairly recently too, last 6mo to a year I feel like interest in it has gone up a lot for seemingly no reason. I'm not terribly happy about it because it's driving test equipment prices up. I got in a few years before it started and got most of my stuff relatively cheap but it seems harder to find good deals, not impossible though.