Here's a nice little fact about luso culture

Here's a nice little fact about luso culture.
A surname like "da Silva" translates to "Silva's", as in owned by the Silva family.
This is how slaves were named, so if you ever meet a "da" or "do" person you can call him a dirty slave.

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.myheritage.com.br/2013/02/nomes-das-familias-da-silva/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silva
historia.fflch.usp.br/sites/historia.fflch.usp.br/files/THE MYTH OF THE MARRANO NAMES.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Having any kind of Moortuguese surname is shameful.

>surname commonly has a de in front of it
>mine doesn't
MASTERRACE

lol, nice to know for possible banter

Eh, this could come in handy

Never heard of this.
Proofs (and no none of my names have that)

No "de" or "da" on my name
Peasants swerve

it's bullshit. Several Silva families came from Portugal, some had da and other's didn't. What he's saying is a myth. It's like when people say that tree surnames like carvalho or oliveira are jewish

I know a kid with the last name C'deBaca.
Is that Brazilian?

I thought that the Da and De were the noble ones

I thought it meant from some family or town depending on name.

Moors used surnames based on trees. Olivera, Saucedo, Robledo, Pinheiro, etc

I always thought it was like European nobility titles, where 'de Richmond' or 'de Avignon' for example would be a noble from the City or Castle of Richmond or Avignon, basically the feudal lord of that place.

So 'da Silva' would be like Lord of the Jungle or whatever, which to me is even more insulting. 'Duke of Trees and Monkeys and Shit'

it is

those were sephardites (i.e jews), moors were christianized way before naming reforms were put in place

So did native Portuguese. Are you trying to tell me that all Pereiras are crypto-Jews/Moors? Bullshit. They took names that were well known and recognised so as to hide their origins. It's like a Jew moving to the US might take the name Smith because it is a common gentile name.

Doesn't sound brazilian at all.

Well it did happen in the USA. That's why so many black Smith, Jackson, etc

>Segundo alguns genealogistas, um dos motivos mais aceitáveis, seria o batismo pelos padres da época do império, de milhares de escravos africanos com o sobrenome "Da Silva" o que facilitaria o modo como ele se espalhou pelo Brasil. Uma outra versão sobre este mesmo evento escravagista é que muitos escravos adotaram na sua Carta de Alforria o sobrenome do seu antigo "Senhor".
blog.myheritage.com.br/2013/02/nomes-das-familias-da-silva/

So basically "Silva" is for the portuguese wanting to forget their past and "da Silva" is for African slaves.
I couldn't find anything about the other surnames with "da".

tree names were given to people under odd situations. Generaly the free people that weren't rich enough to have any real power or connection to the land took tree names. People that wanted to errase their connections also took tree names for that, one possible example is the powerful Tavora family having some of its members becoming Moreira to avoid persecution from the conspiracy

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silva
That's irrelevant. There were portuguese people with "da silva" as a name that came here and had no contact with slavery. That some blacks were given "da" after being freed does not garantree that everyone with the surname "da silva" descend from slaves. I have neither by the way

Funny because some da Silva guys I know from Portugal are very dark for native european, even by south european standard

But there's also iberian lastnames with -do, da, del, de la- that aren't related to that.

The thing is that the Pereiras, for example, were high aristocracy that were active in the Portuguese courts since the kingdom's inception. The Silveiras were also. There is no evidence whatsoever that these people had Jewish origins, because they predate the existence of known Jews who bore those names before carrying them into the Netherlands and elsewhere where they became corrupted (Perera/Perea, Silvera, etc.).

These claims about Marrano/filhos dos forçados names are made about virtually every noble Portuguese surname in existence. The same claim is made about my surname.

Read more here: historia.fflch.usp.br/sites/historia.fflch.usp.br/files/THE MYTH OF THE MARRANO NAMES.pdf

Silva means "Woods", by the way. So "da Silva" means quite literally "from the woods". Common portuguese name in Portugal too, as far as I know so I have no idea what the fuck you're talking about

aristocracy =\= nobility, especially in regards to historic nobility. I'm descendent of tavoras but that doesn't make me of noble descent as they were high aristocrats (ence why I know that tidbit about them changing names).

this is a very important distinction. Tree-names weren't originaly nobility, they got their place by intermarrying and ascending in social hierarchy. Not only that, but family names were standardized in gradual maner, first the great houses were before there was a country, then the smaller ones in the 16th century, the free people was somewere around 18th century and the rest was in the 19th century.

The founder of the duchy of portucale, Vimara Peres was called that way because his father was named Pero [asturian dynasty], his son was called [iberian name] vimares and so on.
On the other hand the first king of portugal was Afonso of burgundy (de borgonha), son of henri de bourgogne and his son was Sancho de borgonha, etc...

Nobility took their names by the land their governed or from what made them "noble".
de coimbra -> from coimbra (galician nobility actualy)
de bragança -> from brangança
de Aviz -> from Aviz order
de Lencastre -> from lancaster (yeah...)
many patronimics, as was tradition for the lower nobility (some of which from suebi lineage)
etc...

aristocracy had more diversity, as it was the transition zone betwen broke nobles, landless nobility, burgoise and even clergymen
castro - pre-roman fort (galician origin)
pereira - pear tree
Tavora - not entirely sure, they got errased from history
Alburquerque - land
coimbra - land
moreira - tree
peres - patronimic
soares - patronimic
ferreira - profession (smith)
etc...

Now the lower classes obviously took on their local noble names to look more important than they were, that's from where the memes come from and, in the end, it's good things went that way because otherwise you'd have serious societal conflicts regarding names

cont.
because even though we have changed regimes 4 times in the last 100 and something years, the rulling families haven't changed that much, some died out, other were ruined by poor investment or loyalties and some were pushed asside in power struggles. But a fair share of them still is powerful enough to have things their way

>So 'da Silva' would be like Lord of the Jungle or whatever, which to me is even more insulting. 'Duke of Trees and Monkeys and Shit'

kek
unitedstatians, everytime