ZeroNet. Could this be a better home for us?

zeronet.io/

Decentralized, can use tor, use bit torrents for sharing sites, caches them as much as possible. It seems pretty damn cool. Nobody's made an image board for it yet, but it has a redditesque upvote/downvote forum. Any thoughts user? Could this be a better home for anons? It seems a lot harder to control.

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/kustomzone/nullchan
127.0.0.1:43110/0chan.bit
127.0.0.1:43110/xxxxxx
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Hey. Ya'll need to quit being such stupid fags who argue about your shitty little phones all day and pay attention to this shit. I'm looking through it and it seems legit. Seriously, fucking check it out.

>us
who???

There is an image board, check 0chan.

convince me that this isn't a shll by the devs of pic related

cool. very cool. not quite lively yet, but still very cool.

OP here. I'm not yet convinced myself. You should check it out too.

From what I've seen, it seems legit, but I have a hard time believing in anything so... just check it out. If you can dig something up I couldn't, I'll appreciate it.

If not compromised by NSA it looks really promising. Although too much JavaScript for me.

Is it safe to browse without tor?

Yeah, the amount of JS is a little heavy. I think a fair bit of it can be eliminated with a dedicated browser though. Perhaps NetRunner might want to get in on this.

You can be tracked one way or another. For now, you probably will be fine.

Anyone know the tor2web kind of equivilent for ZeroNet?

I remember I had it written down, but I must have deleted the file.

isn't what i2p already is?

The best decentralisation would be a cultural one, where files people liked are posted by other people on their own servers, making countless copies across so many devices and sites, on so many countries, that they'd never be able to put a lid on it.

Look at how many copies of the Anarchist's Cookbook text files go around.

trying in Tor Browser, but getting TOR: ERROR [Errno 111] Connection refused on the ZeroHello page. What do?

That's what ZeroNet does.

>Sup Forums, Sup Forums and /rus

dropped

Doesn't this have absolutely no privacy though? GNUnet sounds more promising but the GNUtards haven't begun developing it further or making a good GUI.

meme

No it doesn't. All it does is spread around a bunch of encrypted json files which aren't any good to anyone without ZeroNet.

What I'm talking about is a change in culture rather than just hoping for infrastructure to sort everything.

>go on 0chan
>open board
>pc gets flooded with cp, which i am also hosting because muh blockchain

wew, lookin good already

>not wanting to hang around in the vodka /S I P/ General

And what's worse now your ISP knows you downloaded it because the service is transparent. I hear jail is nice this time a year.

You should know better than to go Sup Forums on a dark web site.

The 0chan Sup Forums is not bad. It's slow as hell, but there is something novel about not having a captcha

>if everyone were as smart as I am everything would be so simple
You might onto something.

So, after playing with this thing for the last 5 hours, my review is such:

It's alright, but slow. Definitely could have a lot of potential if they figure out a way to speed it up. Seems to the classic issue of seeders vs leechers.

For sites with a lot of data, if you like them and give the content time to download, there's less of an issue with performance when you return.

>there is something novel about not having a captcha

NEWFAG REEEEEEEEE

This
Shit seems ingenious to me

Bumping.
>meanwhile page 1:
"APPLE LITERALLYU BTFOOOOOOOOOOO ITODDLERS ON SUICDE WATCH XDDD"
or
"ANDROID PAJEETNIGGERS GOT FUCKING REKT BY [insert meaningless shit to argue over here] OOOOO FUCKING DESTROYED FUCK ANDROID!!!11!"
This is genuinely tech-related
>absolute state of Sup Forums.

Normalfags will ruin it by making cancerous memes about it on twitter and facebook and reddit

Wow! Looks very promising, checking it out now.
Check it out for yourself!

>redditesque upvote/downvote forum
this is exactly what makes reddit bad, why are you shilling this?

So what's the difference between this and Freenet?

dead as fuck
there's a shit ton of chineses on zeronet and it doesn't look like we're in 1997. there's also less nonces I don't think it's designed to be anonymous like freenet

So it's worse than freenet? I've been looking into various decentrlized network as of late, and freenet seems like the best of the bunch.

i don't know if it's really comparable since they don't aim for the same thing. Freenet has some good points especially anonymity but it probably won't take off considering the content it attracts, it's also really slow.
there's also ipfs and i2p worth checking out but i'm too much of a brainlet to set them up

Why can't we get more threads like this? Decentralized networks are interesting.

Reddit's anonymous voting aggregate is what makes it shit.

>same cryptography as your bitcoin wallet
Is that actually a good idea?

Can't handle the banter, Pajeet?

If you actually read the thread there's an imageboard as well.

FUND IT

Ok, so it's Sup Forums with the community of reddit. Still sounds worse than shit

So I just looked into this. I read the slideshow and some FAQ questions.

I'm still confused on how this "works." It says it can work with any browser--so is it a plugin for a browser? Do websites look the same or something? Why are people like saying it's shit and saying it has an imageboard? What do you "it has" an imageboard? Can't any user create his/her own website that can be an imageboard?

Excuse my brainlet questions

Check out IPFS.

yeah, GNUnet works, but it needs an easier way to build applications. You're not going to switch your OS today and be able to figure it out tomorrow.. documentation sucks mostly. and no one is talking about it. But it and similar decentralized networks 友 are the future. I think I will make some kind of dedicated channel to go through how to get it up and running.

Yeah checked it out last year. Very cool and fascinating as a concept, but practically speaking, it's still extremely young and not truly tried and tested. Essentially it's far from mature, and until it matures a bit more, I don't trust it at all.

Are you Chinese by any chance?

It's okay.

>It says it can work with any browser--so is it a plugin for a browser?
not exactly, it's a standalone package you let run in the background then you can access it from your browser
>What do you "it has" an imageboard?
wat
>Can't any user create his/her own website that can be an imageboard?
yes there's already a bunch of ibs, they're all dead though. The last time I checked was the most active one

Does this require restarting the OS?
Does it leave any traces?
Why do you use TOR with it?
How fast?
What's prevent people from posting "Illegal" stuff?
Can I host a website?
What's the address?
What's Sup Forums like?

Seems too good to be be desu.

>nobody made an image board

what the fuck? 0chan.bit has been up for what feels like years.

Freenet is full of cp and you are hosting and serving encrypted cp when you run it

only used for the site addresses and to publish content with your private key

Inculcating people into a dead-end worldview at every chance isn't banter user, it's mental illness

>Freenet is full of cp
Google is full of CP, just do basic search.

Months ago ZeroNet threads were very common, today it feels like nobody heard of this. WOW.

>Does this require restarting the OS?
No
>Does it leave any traces?
Just unpack and run. Protip: run it from a usb key, so you can burn it down if needed (yes, you will need)
>Why do you use TOR with it?
Because anonimity, it's one of its strong points
>How fast?
It works like torrent, so it's as fast as torrent. No seeds = page won't load. Many seeds, you can watch streaming hd movies.
>What's prevent people from posting "Illegal" stuff?
Nothing. But in case of user contribution on a website, the webmaster can delete it.
>Can I host a website?
Yes, it works like seeding a torrent, it's just you are seeding a website. The more people visit your website, the faster it will be.

The only downside is it's all fucking client site code (aka Javascript). You can't run any server side code like php, asp, servlets. You can have dynamic websites (like imageboards) but you'll have to learn their API.

>run it from a usb key
What?
Care to elaborate more on how ZeroNet work on the Host OS?
>anonimity
So ZeroNet is not anonymous?
>You can have dynamic websites (like imageboards)
Is there available IB template to host?

Just use i2p.

BTW, how do we make i2p faster?

zerochan run on this one
github.com/kustomzone/nullchan
but it's old and unfinished

>run it from a usb key
>What?
It's just a program like many others, nothing special. Just run it and it works. But make sure you put the cache on a usb key, because every website you visit, every image, every file will be saved and served from it. Just like a torrent, you become another seeder for the website, and you will serve the content to anybody that will request it. If there's something you don't want to share, you can manually opt out of it, but sometimes you want to make sure you can wipe it off your storage device for good, hence a cheap usb will do the job best.

>So ZeroNet is not anonymous?
Yes, but the default install is NOT anonymous (I used it months ago, didn't update so I dunno about new verstions) you have to manually enable Tor on it (it's a couple clicks and app restart, but make sure you do this before browsing any site besides the hello page)
It has same anonimity as Tor, if enabled. Otherwise it's just like Torrent, anyone can see who is seeding, his IP or his hidden service address

>Is there available IB template to host?
Websites are all client side code, no server side. So yeah, you can clone any site you want and make it yours. You like 0chan ? You can have your own with relative low effort. But keep in mind, no visitors = slow as hell.

these anonymous networks are doomed to fail, if you want to hide something, do it in plain sight

>anonymous networks
Anonimity is just a feature of it. The coolest feature is its distributed nature. Websites are almost impossible to take down, as long as they are visited and seeded by at least one person.
It's the future of CDNs, where in a normal scenario, the more users, the more bandwidth you need to pay. With zero, the more visitors you have, the faster is the website.

Why don't the devs abandon the project and help IPFS instead?

Zeronet implements something similar to IPFS, but extends its possibilities and adds fatures and ease of use. So you should ask why ipfs devs don't jump on zeronet project. Either case, I have no idea why.

How the fuck does this work? What happens when all visitors go offline? Or are we talking a daemon everyone downloads?

Yes.

This'd be a great use for all the Raspberry/orange pi's lying around...

Like said before, it's decentralized. Everyone is hosting the website he visited, just like a torrent you're always seeding (unless you stop seeding it). When all visitors and website owners are offline, the website is offline. When just one is back up, he will be offering the part of the website he visited (or the whole website if the user downloaded it all, there's a opt-in feature for this).

>TLDR; How does DHT torrent work ? What happens when all seeders are offline ?

>Nobody's made an image board for it yet,

Except someone did ya ookin dooker. It's called "Zerochan", check ZeroSites

Can you please give us an adress user?

Also - is there any (either good or bad) page searcher for zeronet?

it is just /0chan.bit

0chan.bit but keep in mind urls are different from normal internet, so it will be more like 127.0.0.1:43110/0chan.bit when you have everything installed. That site anyway is one of the first linked on the sidebar of your new homepage when you install it (hello page)

>another zeronet thread from the fbi shills
This is literally the opposite of anonymous, your identity is exposed to every website you visit and every piece of content you publish. It's the same identity across the entire network, unless you jump through hoops to have multiple identities. Anyone can doxx you without any effort.

>your identity is exposed to every website you visit and every piece of content you publish. It's the same identity across the entire network

This is somehow true, you are not anonymous, you are pseudonymous. Your "identity" is shared among multiple sites, but you can change it whenever you want. That's why you want Tor enabled while browsing it.

>Anyone can doxx you without any effort.
Cool, Shadow Brokers took their market on zeronet, go dox them and collect the bounty.

>put the cache on a usb key
How do I do that?
Can it be done on both windows and GNU/Linux?
Won't there be any files related to ZeroNet on my machine?

>How do I do that?
Zeronet cache defaults to the dir it runs in, so if you unpack it on a usb key, the cache will be on the usb key as well, that's a good way to run it.

>Can it be done on both windows and GNU/Linux?
Sure.

>Won't there be any files related to ZeroNet on my machine?
No, unless you run it from a computer and not usb key. Your browser url history will still give you away, 0net urls all start with 127.0.0.1:43110/xxxxxx so that's probably enough to prove you used zeronet. Browser cache is also obvious. You can use a portable browser like FF running from usb as well if you want to fix that.

Or run it in private tab/incognito
Also if this is based on python.
Why it was designed in such way?

>Or run it in private tab/incognito
Sure it would work, but just like you use a separate browser for Tor, it's better to use a separate browser for 0net too.

>Also if this is based on python.
>Why it was designed in such way?
I don't understand this, and I wouldn't know their motives. The inner workings are kinda complicated, took me a while to figure out how this works, and ofc I still dont understand it all 100% but the potential is awesome.

I don't want cp on my drives fanks

How do you know when you have tor enabled? I click on "Tor always enabled" mode and restart. wheres the indication?

Visit tor site.
The problem with tor on 0net is that all traffic would be routed through tor.

>Client side code.
Are you validating passwords and shit client-side?
>Unless my website gets lots of viewers it'll be slow.
Nice, so I'm still going to have hosting costs seeding, since presumably people only seed websites when they're browsing them.

Except that it means that only websites with lots of visitors will be fast, and I'l still have to seed when there aren't any users online. It apparently has client-side authentication due to technical details, and good luck with streaming video. Something like YouTube will still require hosting costs in the form of seeding it due to the ratio of online users to videos, unless you do some fancy coding and have people seeding videos other than the ones they're watching. Plus a website goes offline if they're 0 seeders, meaning that you'll still have to host shit yourself.

So we'll still have hosting costs because someone needs to be seeding it to keep it online, we'll apparently be saving copies of websites we visit for seeding purposes, and video sharing websites will be slow for videos few people are currently watching, and still have high hosting costs.

Zeronet is insecure, trendy, vaporware whose pajeet developers try to shill everywhere while pretending IPFS does not exist. Image related.
Add better nodes.

Fuck off botnet shill.