it's a debian thing

are you using separate /boot?

huh?

not doing anything special, just installing the iso from a pendrive as always

>>at the very end grub2 install fails
>>quits with error
Nice error code or output.

there was nothing, it just said grub-efi?-signed?-? package failed to install

I had experience with it failing on a separate boot partition. If normal stock installation fails, you can try to install grub manually from the live cd/usb terminal after it fails, since installing grub is the last part of the install. You can probably see whats wrong there ,and dont have to wait for reinstall X times.

I can boot now by editing the command line but I still haven't figured out how to update grub

this doesn't work
> # update-grub2
> # grub-install /dev/sda

I'm replacing Fedora btw, this may be relevant

sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

switching to uefi fixed the issue for me

didn't help, still only getting the old Fedora shit

I think my EFI space was somehow raped by Fedora 26 or some virus

any ides how to cure it?

install grub again
create the grub.cfg file
read its entries and search for your OS
if everything is correct on the cfg but grub still fails then you must be doing something wrong on the installation (i dont remember tha grubs installation parameters but there are some and they must be correct)
i have broke my grub too many times but doing this you just can't fail (obs: most times i installed it through a chroot from a live cd)

create a new EFI partition

good luck!

Yeah, that's been my experience with hand-hold installers like Ubuntu. They're often buggy and inconsistent. With GNU/Linux, you want something done right, you do it yourself. If you can't handle that, then you're probably better off on Windows or whatever OS you came from.

Now if you still want to use Ubuntu, you can try this:
>Select "manually partition disk"
>Create a /boot partition
>Tell GRUB to install there

>not using efistub

>efistub
I would rather just not use efi at all t bh

who really knows what's going on there??

Debian is better

This is going to sound insane, but run the live image and disconnect from any internet source before running the installer. There's an issue with grub updating during install where it tries to place itself somewhere it doesn't have permissions.

You can also try just unchecking the "Install updates during install" dialogue, but I've found that removing the internet connection has worked for me 100% of the time I've deployed recent Ubuntu installs.

>not carrying a LiveOS to save your ass in these situations
Prevent

it's probably the same but without wifi and sound

disable your secure boot
make sure your disk partitioning method matches your system boot method (UEFI or Legacy)

Debian is for people who actually contribute

You're not trying to install 32-bit on UEFI are you?