Question for Rust, Ada, C++ or DLang power spergs

youtube.com/watch?v=N2UdveBwWY4

Here we see Jon Blow using metaprogramming to register functions at some interpreter at compile time.

To which extend is this possible in common system programming languages?

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/Jonathan_Blow/status/872166805157969920
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

are programmers streaming now too?
Fuck this world.

Who is Jon Blow?

>now
some dude that makes a system programming language that has this feature

>are programmers streaming now too?
Who is Terry E Davis?

>are mentally sane programmers streaming now too?
ftfh

>some dude that makes a system programming language that has this feature
Can you explain more closely what this "feature" is? I'm not going to sit and watch 3 hours and 24 minutes about an esoteric language less than 10 people use invented by a disgruntled indie game dev.

He made some games

Fair enough.
This feature is basically is full compile time evaluation + an AST manipulation API to manipulate the yet to compile code.
Similar to what Lisp does.

However, I'm only interested in this particular use case as mentioned in the OP.

Closest thing I found is ChaiScript, that allows passing foreign functions without further descriptions of parameters.

>Braid
Oh, it's the guy that went amok in the comment sections on game reviews and told people they were simpletons for not "understanding" his game.

Why is he making a new programming language?

>AST manipulation API
>Similar to what Lisp does.
I see. I only know C++ of the languages you listed, but you can't do this directly no. Specific things you can emulate though, through templates and reflection patterns.

As a C++ expert he has realized C++ is not the best game dev language that could possibly exist, and also, as the only true genius in the software industry, he alone knows how to improve on the status quo, so he is compelled to share scraps of his wisdom with intellectual peasants like you and me

Because he has enough money to burn, as long as he doesn't has to use C or C++ again.

forth can do this with immediate words

>As a C++ expert

kek

twitter.com/Jonathan_Blow/status/872166805157969920

Yeah, we know Lisp, Forth, Red and other sperglangs are pretty good at this. Unfortunately, that's pretty much the only thing they really excel at.

I figured so. It's kind of impressive what ChaiScript does, but last time I tested it I got a 200 line error message.

He's definitely right on this one. Header files were a mistake.

>make clean deletes source code
kek

>He's definitely right on this one.
I was thinking more about the entire thread.

>Header files were a mistake.
They were a good idea in 1977. They are a terrible idea in 2017.

>I was thinking more about the entire thread.
Fair enough. I honestly don't know enough about make clear since I don't use shit tier build systems. Maybe it's possible to delete source code if binaries and source code are in the same directory?

>They were a good idea in 1977.
Symbolic inclusion existed back then, user.

Modula-2 is from 1978 and implemented modules without problems or sacrificing speed

>Symbolic inclusion existed back then, user.
b-b-b-but muh unix way!!!!!!

forth is excellent for embedded programming

Do you think it's Unix that influenced C to be halfassed and incomplete or do you think it's C that influenced Unix to become incomplete and halfassed?

>"So we still haven't done anything but that already feels like progress, so.. it puts us in a good mood..."
Sheesh, 3.3 hours of this?
> tfw svn add

Forth is far too slow for embedded programming, C is used universally

Chicken or hen. Since they were developed more or less simultaneously, I'd say it's the people behind them that made it halfassed and incomplete.

Not really, no.
Neither is C. But unlike with C, I'm not even sure it is possible to automate formalized tests in a reliable way with Forth.

Apparently git is bad with binaries e.g. game assets.

what language is he coding in

his own called Jai

>jai
cute