Why would you use Windows 10 LTSB over 7 or 8.1? What does it offer for you that previous versions don't?

Why would you use Windows 10 LTSB over 7 or 8.1? What does it offer for you that previous versions don't?

Other urls found in this thread:

support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows 7 - 64#
reddit.com/r/Piracy/comments/6dvkbt/full_guide_installing_activating_windows_10_ltsb/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

A brainlet like me can use Ryzen CPUs

kek

I used to be on Windows 7/8.1 and asked myself the same question..
LTSB really reminds me of 8.1 in that it's a clean OS without app bloat.

I upgraded to see what all the fuss was about and I'm pretty happy with DX12/WDDM 2.2, some handy additional OS tools and generally a tiny bit more performance.

WSL and virtual desktops alone make Windows 10 incomparably better than 7 and 8 (and as far as I know, 10 LTSB doesn't have WSL too).

8.1 was shit because 8.

7 was good back when it was released, but I don't see the point of staying on it when it lacks features and UI improvements from 8 and 10.

>It's a let's shill win 10 LTSB because Sup Forums won't touch the other versions of 10 even with a 10 foot pole episode.

Just stop dude, you make windows 10 threads at least 5 times a day.
Let it go my indian brother.

windows update on 7 is basically broken due to microsoft refusing to release an sp2 and improve the windows update agent

8 is shit because of initial launch issues

8.1 is okay but modern CPUs don't support it and now all the shitty parts (update bundling, telemetry) have been backported regardless

WSL isn't on LTSB? That's sad.

W10 LTSB feels snappier and faster overall on both my machines with the same SSD compared to fully updated W7 and one of them is a fucking 1024x768 thinkpad. It's just empirical evidence on my devices though, your mileage might vary.

That being said, unupdated W7 is fast as fug and blows both of them out of the water but i'm too much of a pussy to run an OS from 2009 without updates.

Because Windows 7 doesn't work with Threadripper.

Windows 7 is outdated feature wise and support isn't going to go on for more than another 3-4 years. The 8.1 underneath is just 7 with the Store and other bullshit apps and the UI is an unusable abomination that should have never been sold to the public. Windows 10 LTSB has almost no extra software installed except for basic stuff like Notepad, Paint, IE, etc. The version of it that I'm using doesn't even come with media player features or whatever. You start with a minimal install and you just install the software that you want instead of wasting time on removing the stuff you don't. It still phones home to Microsoft but it doesn't hardly any data compared to what the regular editions send. It doesn't get retarded feature updates, only security updates. It's fairly light on resources and it's incredibly fast. I have it on a 7200RPM HDD and it boots faster than Fedora 26 on a SATA3 SSD. It's the best version of Windows since Windows 2000.

Yamero!!!

don't give more (You)'s to this person.
sage.

So LTSB gets security updates, but does it also get rid of bugs? 1607 is a bit of a mess.

Get raped and kill yourself, you retarded fucking faggot sack of nigger shit with down syndrome.

>but does it also get rid of bugs?
No. Also LTSBs seem to get shafted rather quickly. Expect LTSB2016 to be the next one. At this rate Windows 7 will outlive LTSB2016.

That's strange considering the next update will be in 2019.

you too user!

How is windows 10 LTSB on gaymes, i hear it's missing shit

>i hear it's missing shit
It isn't missing anything. If anything, it has too much crap and telemetry still. Don't get the N version, it's missing codecs.

It's not. Unless you mean the shitty GameDVR to record your sick PUBG car flips with.

microsoft doesn't want you to access your steam library. They want you to load up their nigerian level game store.

I keep using 8.1 with StartIsBack for the start menu, I've given 10 enough chances and it has always disappointed me, though I haven't tried LTSB.
As far as I'm concerned 8.1 looks better than 7 and when you clear out the X apps it's lighter and has a smaller footprint on your drive than 7, but I can understand people who want to stick with 7.

Those are all cracked games :^)

7 is easier to crack because OEM activation 2.1 uses the same key in every BIOS in every machine shipped by a manufacturer vs. unique serials on win 8

(KMS activation on 7/8 is subject to eventually deactivate at random)

Because AMD don't release RX 5xx drivers for Windows 7 and 8.1

The only thing that appealed to me about 10 was that I could use a "legit" key, i.e. upgrade from my KMS activated copy of 8.1 and then do a clean install with the same key.

7 is actually lighter than 8.1. 7 Ultimate x64 is only 12.5 GB installed with all updates. Assuming used DISM to clean the image after updating.

This?
support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows 7 - 64#

W10 LTSB N ends up using like 6-7GB with /CompactOS:true or whatever it's called.

I use it on my shitpad with a 32gb shitssd.

>CompactOS
So disk compression. You can turn it ON on 7 too.

DX12 and support for anything newer than Haswell.

Broadwell works fine on 7. I'm fairly sure people are using Skylake, Kabylake and Coffeelake too on 7 without any issues.

I think threadripper probably works on 7 and 8.1.

I'm also pretty sure even jayz2cents once made a video about installing it on a win 8.1
Just because microsoft won't give "support" anymore doesn't mean things magically stop working.

are there any games worth a shit that get a considerable speed boost with DX12?

how do I convert my regular w10 install to w10 LTSB?

Have those russians finished that windows9x clone yet

Hello fellow italian, howdy?

Oh, that was a screenshot I took from google.

Complete reinstall is the only way.

well FUCK, I have a hueg SSD and everything is installed on the same drive.

Fuck it, I'll just use ShutUp10 and make the best of it.

Yes it does.

It might boot faster because it never turns off for real but instead is in sleep, brainlet.

Are you retarded? I've just installed Win 7 driver.

10 is more intrusive, and no I'm not talking about spying or telemetry. I'm talking about how it just gets in your way. So many annoying "tip" pop ups, and advertisements fucking everywhere. "Buy a OneDrive subscription! Buy Office365!"

I know you can disable these things, but honestly it's not even worth the hassle. I don't like the direction Microsoft is heading. With each update, Windows 10 just gets further away from my demographic. I just want the computer to stay out of my way, not handhold you every step of the way with video-game-tutorial tier hand-holding. For this reason, Windows 8.1 will likely be the final version of Windows that I use. Once it is no longer usable, I will likely migrate to Linux completely, or get a Mac.

It's not doing that since I can see the BIOS splash whenever I turn it on, you retarded nigger. Fucking kill yourself.

OMG HI >:3 nice to see you in another windows thread c: :3c
toodles~! ~_^

>doesn't know what hybrid shutdown is
Oh my goodness.

Thanks for confirming that your an idiot but I already knew that.

Don't talk shit about videogame tutorials, even Adobe Illustrator has that now.

I'm on my second slmgr -rearm

Is that the last one? And can I just reinstall with reformat when it expires?

Drivers

Apparently you retarded fucks don't understand shit about how fast startup works. It's not like putting the machine to sleep, it's saving the last state as a file and then shutting off. When I power off from the start menu and then power on again manually, it shows the BIOS splash and goes to GRUB where I select Windows loader. It's not in some "fake off" mode as you faggots seem to be suggesting.

God I hate nu Sup Forums

>it lacks features and UI improvements from 8 and 10
such as?

>>>r/eddit

>I was proven wrong so I have to post fake board links like a child
Ok.

What are these "features" that are supposedly added post-XP/7? Apart from UI changes and support for newer hardware.

Where's 8.1 driver?

I think 7 drivers work on 8.1

t. user who's using 8.1 and had to install the rampage III win 7 mobo drivers on it because it didn't recognize some mass storage something something.

Working flawless for the past year btw.

to be fair at work we have win7 and you have the same problem.

I don't have that problem on 7. Even with indexer off.

how does one get windows 10 ltsb, isnt it almost impossible to find

if you have a place to upload a ~2.8GB file i'll upload the original iso

Mega, torrents, Google Drive.

ThePirateBay
That's where I got my copy.

>even with indexer off
How is that a good thing?

reddit.com/r/Piracy/comments/6dvkbt/full_guide_installing_activating_windows_10_ltsb/
just search the file name on tpb like the other user said
there is an sha-1 if you're skeptical, the pirate bay one will match, its 100% legit

Nope, you can install the basic subsystem via Features menu but even after installing the Store manually you can’t download the apps that make it work like the Ubuntu app, so it’s useless. The apps require a newer build #, so it’s greyed out. Despite being on the anniversary update, the exact build of LTSB 2016 is too old to install it.

There is only one LTSB version and that’s N, just install the Media Features Pack for 1607 and it fixes it. Or even better do like I did, just slipstream the update into the ISO so you never have to manually install it again.

not the same user, but once i install that, is there something else i must download (a fix or smth) or is everything working as it should? thanks

8.1 was pure kino once configured correctly. I don’t find 10’s Start Menu any better, not in my use anyway.

This is actually the number 1 thing I fucking hate about Windows 10 and makes it unusable. I search for something and it can't fucking find it. It can be sitting right on the desktop or in downloads and it acts like it's nowhere to be seen. But ofc it can try searching fucking Bing for it.

#2 gripe. The start menu sucks. No one wants fucking tiles. You'd think they'd have learned from Win8 but no they still wanna shove them down your throat along with their adds for their shitty games or whatever. Yes there's 3rd party tools available to make it look like Windows 7 but I shouldn't have to go to a 3rd party to make that happen.

#3 problem. There is no fucking reason to have the Settings menu. They went and splintered Control Panel into Settings for no goddamned reason. Now you have to go to 2 places to find what you're looking for and the interface is more touchscreen garbage. Who the fuck decided that radial buttons or drop downs are out of date?

Other dumb shit:
-The notification crap on the taskbar/sidebar. Also, additional settings splintered into here as well.
-Fucking over Internet Explorer. Many of us on the business/enterprise side have to still use IE and Microsofts decision to fuck it up is frustrating.
-Getting rid of Aero for a solid black bar. What the fuck. Who decided less screen real estate is a good idea? Same goes for start menu. Why the fuck is it so big, so dark, and so opaque.
-All the telemetry shit. (A huge deal but not gonna beat that dead horse anymore.)
-Microshit deprecating features of Pro version. (Most home users do not have access to Enterprise so why the fuck are you taking away features power users want to use?)
-Windows update. Not being able to choose what to update, when to update.
-Edge
-Windows Apps/Windows store. They went and fucked up the calculator. THE FUCKING CALCULATOR. I don't want your fucking touchscreen "modern" design bullshit. Fuck

meant this. Just watching that made me angry.

I hate this steaming pile of shit but guess what I'ma be doing for the next 6 months. Win10 deployment company wide. I at least get my cert payed for out of this but I'd rather not have to deal with any of this bullshit.

Windows 7 is the most perfect UI that's ever been created for user. Sure they could have added some tweaks and additional features here and there but all they needed to do was keep the UI and update all the backend stuff. Or at least give you an option to run Win7 UI like 7 did with 95. But no. Fuck Microsoft, fuck Windows 10, and fuck having to go into work tomorrow.

>Who decided less screen real estate is a good idea

But without Aero there’s actually less borders and shit. I don’t follow.

And with Aero, you actually see what's behind the border/titlebar.

I'm still using Win XP. I'm thinking eventually I'll get a chromebook for web browsing and continue using the Win XP machine for everything else. For me "everything else" is primarily note-taking with WordPad.