RF interest thread

Who RF here?
it seems like I never see threads here about interest about anything RF related. SDR, Coax, wifi, whatever.

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/kicksat/groundstation/wiki/Radio-Info
websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I'd like to get into RF but haven't set aside the time. I got my technician-class amateur license, but it has almost expired. I should renew it.

Any advice for a radio babby?

SDR + Wi-Fi dongle?

I want to stick an antenna on my house and pick up nice stuff. What frequency range should I target for the most interesting content? Amateur bands that are most frequently used?

look into sdr, right now it's pretty much exploding and it lets you into so many different things.
What are you looking to pick up? right now I think that bellow 80 mghz is all QAM over the air tv shit so you'll need a radio with a qam tuner to pick it up. Obviously above that is the FM band, and then lots of other random shit until 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz respectively... I think 1200 is LTE and MOCA respectively.
It all depends where you live
the 20 dollar RTL one with SDR# is literally all you need to start looking into shit

Nice Pathtrak sceen shot, pretty sure 90% of Sup Forums has no idea what the fuck that is, or why it's so important to this board.

foundation license, uv5r, hackrf one, rtlsdr & a shit load of 433/315mhz transmitters

and I barely use any of it...

do yourself a favor and get a coax f to sma connector and connect that hackrf one to cable.
SDR is really weak when it comes to look at QAM radio even though thats what it was designed for. CableCard has been cracked sooo

So apparently pic related is in space aboard the Max Valier satellite. They have a site which explains the radio info and setting up a ground station, which is supposedly simple.

github.com/kicksat/groundstation/wiki/Radio-Info

Is this manageable with the proper antenna and a LNA with an rtl-sdr or am I a retard for chasing a 10mW signal?

already got an sma to BNC, a nice LNA and an aluminium case (used electrical tape on the edges of the board to reduce the noise too) as well as a foot long m/f SMA to keep the LNA from shitting allover the signal

also a nice 1mhz-4ghz telescopic antenna (BNC)

when you say cable, do you mean coax for TV/Broadband?

Holy fuck,
you literally have all the toys, do you just live in an area with no planes, cb, or anything?

Right next to an airport, get alot of security and PBR traffic too, its a city though so lots of sandstone and steel :(

Yeah TV broadband,
not a lot of SDR folks are looking into it, despite the fact that a lot tools specifically to examine have been made for the cable installers and technicians.
Comcast/Century link is pushing out meters for their guys that is basically just an SDR with a modem.
New cable equipment from them has built in spectrum analyzers as well.

also got an alfa us036ac (usb dual antenna, 1W output), driver support is pretty shitty desu since the new kernel release

wouldn't I need some kind of buffer between the hackrf and the cable? what about the load, isn't it 75 ohm instead of the standard (for radio) 50 ohm?

What about an overcurrent going in, don't want to fry it (I know little of tv/broadband coaxial services)

also, never picked up CB on a hackrf / rtlsdr, although my Dad (has a camper) and says it's starting to gain popularity again

You could just put 50 cable between the RG6 and the Hackrf if your concern is fucking up the Hack RF.
Coax cable carries almost no actual voltage unless their is a problem with the ground at the house.

it seems pretty good but underpowered, is it to be a part of a mesh network of some kind or tunneled via EchoLink?

Each one is independent, does not actually broadcast much data though

websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901/

8992khz

ongoing call - (us nuclear strategic command)

but enough for say a text conversation between devices?

Yes, but the one in orbit only broadcasts it's PRN code and stuff like temp readings. I don't think it has a receiver

anyone looking forward to ssb sweepstakes this weekend?

i sure am. Doing a ton of antenna work tomorrow to get ready for it, need to get my antenna back in the trees after the wind brought it down.