/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.
If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous:

Other urls found in this thread:

cloveros.ga
gentoobrowse.randomdan.homeip.net/packages/sys-libs/glibc
cyberciti.biz/open-source/oneko-app-creates-cute-cat-chasing-around-your-mouse/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

looking for a comfy, systemdless, minimal distro. any suggestions?

Trying to install adobe piss on a second drive for my job, is the only way to run them on wine is through symlinks?

Xubuntu, void os.

Puppy linux.

So I'm trying out pywal and while it works out of the box with st (simple terminal from suckless), every new instance of st reverts to the baked-in scheme at compile time.

Is there any way to fix this, aside from writing some script that re-runs pywal everytime I open a new st?

Ok so I did gpu pass through and my drivers are saying that this windows install isn't compatible or some shit.

I tried to fix it but it's still not working. Someone help

Is this a meme or is it legit?
cloveros.ga

If you'd like something Arch Linux like, I suggest Artix.

What program did you guys use to write your iso file? In windows btw

Install GuixSD

It's legit, but AFAIK, it's nothing to really care about. It's just a reskin of Gentoo.

Install Gentoo. Seriously, read their documentation. That should fix your issue.

dd

I would, but my t420 needs proprietary firmware in order to work ;_;

It's a binary Gentoo without pulseaudio or systemd, riced to the gills.
>literally -funroll-loops

Gentoo is minimal by default. You only get what you choose to install.

>"or some shit"
>tried to fix

Details or no one can help you.

Legit meme.

The only tool you need.

I am new to Vim

Where saved script files automatically go? How do I make sure the files get saved in my path?

Well unless you provide another path, any file you write goes to your present working dir (pwd)

how do I check what that is :)

Just type pwd in your shell.

my script still isn't running though

Two things.

First, make sure your script is executable. chmod +x filename should sort you out.

Second, if you're going to execute something in your pwd, you need to provide a relative path. Try ./filename after setting it executable.

Not him but Xubuntu has systemd, right?
Tried Void but I can't get Xorg to work on it (or I'm just too dumb)

chmod +x hello.py did not return anything

i nearly solved this problem but i need an experienced person for the last part
>want to update to new kernel
>compiles kernel
>want to compile initramfs
>genkernel --luks --mdadm --lvm --install initramfs
>Error rpc/rpc.h Error file not found
>Should be in glibc
>go to gentoobrowse.randomdan.homeip.net/packages/sys-libs/glibc
>they ditched the rpc patches for glibc, rpc.h is now in tirpc/rpc/rpc.h and not in rpc/rpc.h
whats the best way to fix this problem ?
Should i patch the code ?
Should i symlink ?
Is it possible to run genkernel with some environment variable like "LIBS=$LIBS:/usr/include/tirpc" ?
I'm looking for the nicest and cleanest way to solve this

It shouldn't.

Try python hello.py rather than trying to execute it directly.

If you want to call it directly, without specifying python, you need the following as the very first line of your script: #!/usr/bin/python

What's a good prefix for international keys on Emacs? Does anyone have this issue?

We already know that you're dumb after your initial request.

Well I am dumb when it comes to Linux because I have very little experience with it, that's why I was asking for help

>I edited /etc/sudoers in nano

so every time I run something from the command line it has to have that?

After install ubuntu 17.10 (uefi) i cannot boot from a usb device anymore, and the bios dont save changes for some reason, how i can revert it? :(

No, he means that needs to be the first line of the script.

Scripts aren't actual binary files you know, they're just text. So an executable script is different from an executable binary. When a non-binary is set to executable the terminal understands it to mean you want to run it through an interpreter, like bash or python. The way it knows which interpreter to use is from the first line of the script starting with "#!" called a "shebang"

>i cannot boot from a usb device anymore
Can you be more specific?
What happens?

Ubuntu doesnt touch your bios...

>has little experience
>knows nothing about it
>but apparently knows enough to know that he doesn't need a specific piece of software

Just stop posting and go back to Windows you retarded, gullible, spineless and pretentious idiot.

>helping a helpvampire

>but apparently knows enough to know that he doesn't need a specific piece of software
I have no idea what you are talking about
>go back to Windows you retarded, gullible, spineless and pretentious idiot.
Why do you immediately insult me lmao, you're missing the 'f' in /fglt/

Just ignore the other guy responding to you. He's a bit of a cancer on these threads and has a pretty unique posting style of going from 0 to mad as fuck in no time at all and low blowing the intelligence of new users asking simple questions. Most likely just a teen insecure about his own intelligence.

Yes, during the installation ubuntu asked to disable secure boot, since these moments is impossible boot from a usb device or revert the uefi in the bios directly (because it dont save the changes). My laptop is a small acer es1-111m

>I have no idea what you are talking about

You are a beginner who knows nothing, but apparently you're so advanced at the same time not to require a specific piece of software that you don't know what it does nor do you interact with it. Textbook definition pretentious and gullible behaviour. There are dozens of posts like yours every day.
Your internet connection license should be taken away.

Get a load of mt. stupid over here

question:

why when i add
DEFAULT=saved
GRUB_SAVEDEFAULT=true
to grub,does it not fucking work

thanks.
FUCK

>not using visudo
the absolute madman

>i know nothing about the thing or even the basics of what i want
>but i want to do this thing i know nothing about just because someone told me it's not good
>i am very smart, have this picture

pywal sends escape sequences to all open terminals, but it doesn't write a config for st. That's why it works just once. Get a supported terminal or add support for st yourself (for example, patch Xresources support).

>ubuntu asked to disable secure boot,
ah interesting, I dont have any computer with that so I didnt know it could even do that.

You should be able to reset the bios, do a search for how to on your specific model

>Hello could you please give me advice for [very specific topic] i heard you are very good with [same very specific topic]
>*gives advice*
[ff few days]
*meets you*
>Hi can you please give me advice for [same specific topic], a other guy already told me i should [advice from other guy]
You:
>*breathes in*
> LOL YOU ARE SO DUMB NEEDING HELP FROM SOMEONE AND THEN BELIEVING WHAT THE PERSONS SAYS HAHA YOU SHOULD NEVER TAKE ADVICE AND YOU SHOULD DO YOUR OWN DECISION NO MATTER HOW BAD THEY ARE, BTW CUTE PICTURE INTERNET LICENCE HURR HURR

Yes, he is an idiot in that case. Only an idiot would adopt strong opinions and make decisions based on things he doesn't inform himself about. The next step on his retardation evolution scale will be ferociously defending and spreading his views he got from a different retard.

Enjoy reading questions about someone's Zsh options not working despite them editing their .bashrc file as read in tutorials. That's the type of person behaviour like that brings out.

it didn't ask you, lying faggot, it offered you a choice to install with secure boot or not. ubuntu can't disable secure boot you asinine dumbfuck.

How to get started for Android/Linux development on my GNU/Linux machine. Is there something like an emulator for testing? Pls point me into the right direction.

Why does Firefox UI looks completely different this morning? I mean, I actually prefer it this way, but did the browser get any update?

Firefox 57 (which brings drastic changes) just got released.

Oh I see. Then has it updated automatically? I instantly noticed it as soon as I launched the browser in Xubuntu.

>The Distro only has one package mirror

stop using an obscure hipster distro

Alternatively: maintain your own mirror and contribute to the community.

>page 7
GNU/Bump

gentoo

Hello, is there a istripper alternative on linux ?

Kind of.
cyberciti.biz/open-source/oneko-app-creates-cute-cat-chasing-around-your-mouse/

>I spend most of my time editing in Emacs. I read and send mail with Emacs using M-x rmail and C-x m.
>I have no experience with any other email client programs. In principle I would be glad to know about other free email clients, but learning about them is not a priority for me and I don't have time.
read that on his website, and I think to myself "What an absolute sorceror," but, using only Emacs for your e-mail probably isn't too crazy once you learn it, r- right?

Anyone have experience with busybox?

How do you make busybox automatically log in on boot?

Normally you would edit your /etc/inittab, but busybox seems to be using a different standard.

How can I install firefox nightly as a regular program? If it was just a single file I could put it in /usr/local/bin but it's a whole folder worth of stuff

I'm copping a ThinkPad x230 later today. It's gonna be the first system I format with Linux/GNU but still don't know which to go with. I've done a live USB with Ubuntu and Tails and played wit a xubuntu system but otherwise I'm not super experienced.

I'm looking for something I could get to know Linux on, do some programming, maybe emulate or play some GoldSrc games. Any suggestions?

why does compiling have to be such an enormous pain

are you looking for distro suggestions?

literally anything.

If you're looking for a place to ""learn linux"", I would recommend staying away from the Windows-lite "click click install" sort of distros like Ubuntu, Fedora etc.

But at that same token don't go arch/gentoo etc, stick with a middle of the road distro.

Memes aside, go to distrowatch.org and just pick out something in the top ~50 range. Anything there will be good, stable, and with a large enough community to solve your problems.

One last thing, don't choose based on looks. Any distro can be made to look like any distro. Completely ignore whatever the "desktop" screen image they have on their site -- it doesn't matter. You'll customize it to look like how you want.

Thanks senpai, I'll give it a look

make a symbolic link in /usr/local/bin and link it to the firefox executable in your home directory

How do I get icons to show up in my bar? Currently using i3 and polybar, copied someones script for testing, but none of the workspace icons appear.

Thanks in advance

why still no 57? pls no bulli

Cant reproduce, update your mirrors

I'm about to install Fedora for the first time.
Anything I should know?

It's the net install of Fedora Workstation 27, and I'm gonna be using KDE.

if this isn't done anything in 10 minutes, am i safe to assume that it's dead?

hasn't*

Is anybody using instant translate for firefox?
It stopped working any idea how to fix this? ;_;

Honestly I'm glad I started on Ubuntu. Interface is really easy to use so once you're fine navigating it, try adding something like a window manager (I've been using i3 and love it). With a wm installed, on the lock screen you can chose if you are loading into the wm or just the preinstalled Ubuntu gnome desktop, good for if you mess something up. From there, I'd recommend learning how to do basic ricing to get used to going between various config files. After that, you shouldn't have any problems doing whatever you so please.

Cant google that, is it possible to make a single gvfs trash for all users on certain partition, or at least make it work without checking owner and permissions of .Trash-1000?

What's a good terminal font? Tried out Roboto Mono, but I'm not sure if I did something wrong or it's just the font because it comes off spaced out like this

terminus, hack, inconsolata, dejavu sans mono

there's the top 4 most popular, all Sup Forums approved.

and the spacing you're seeing is called "kerning", that is what you need to google + your terminal emulator

I really like Liberation Mono.

Thanks, it worked
Learned that roboto is just ugly in my opinion
Trying out this, like it so far

I need a script that opens up three terminal emulator windows in one go. Any idea why this doesn't work?
urxvt -e sh -c "cd ../../dir1 && ./run.sh"
urxvt -e sh -c "cd ../../dir2 && ./run.sh"
urxvt -e sh -c "cd ../../dir3 && ./run.sh"
It opens a new urxvt window, but only one, and runs all the run.sh's in that same window. I'm not sure what's going on.

I don't know if this works but try appending an '&' at the end of the first 2 lines

That did indeed work, thanks!

Anyone happen to know why my spacemacs has that fucked up buffer line? It's not really affecting functionality but it triggers my tism.

What's the current state of open source Nvidia drivers for Kepler generation GPUs? Specifically a Quadro K2000M. Don't need tip top gay men performance, just want something stable and usable.

install fontawesome or any other needed font
installed a new addon like forced https, etc?

Stop using binary based distros.

looks like the powerline (left/right) arrows are too small

spacemacs modeline is a buggy piece of shit.

spacemacs is a buggy piece of shit

Please avoid using the term “google” as a verb, meaning to search for something on the internet. “Google” is just the name of one particular search engine among others. We suggest to use the term “search the web” or (in some contexts) just “search”. Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy.

Not a linuxy question, but any font like Tewi but in ttf/otf?

disregard assuming it's in ~/firefox, update your ~/.bashrc with
PATH="$HOME/firefox:$PATH"
save, then
$ source ~/.bashrc
done, your default firefox is the one in your ~/firefox ; it won't work if you have launchers targeting explicitly /usr/bin/firefox obviously.

No.

yes

What is the best icon theme for Linux?

Anyone else here that got trackpoint problems after the latest manjaro updates?

I love Numix Circle

Linux is a kernel.