/hsg/ - Home Server General

FreeNAS sucks big dicks edition

Discuss building, setting up your own homeserver and maintaining the services and demons on it.
>hostan. installan. rebootan. crying about uptime.

---> FAQ & Tips

Other urls found in this thread:

serverfault.com/questions/810581/microsoft-sccm-2016-build-1606-deploying-software-updates-to-server-group-co
serverfault.com/questions/326844/is-hyper-v-a-real-hypervisor
mega.nz/#!q4d3kLBL!D0lTpPtUbOxw1riR0PEUwbaXQXfClhSPZyqEDw7Niuk
docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/core/servers/manage/pre-release-features
docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/failover-clustering/cluster-aware-updating
technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831367(v=ws.11).aspx
docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/failover-clustering/cluster-aware-updating-requirements
lmgtfy.com/?q=vlan tutorial
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

so I've had a custom built PC functioning as my home server with FreeNAS for about nine months and all in all it's be been pretty shitty. I had it basically as a Plex box that would automatically grab new tv shows with sickrage and transmission. Recently, the plugins have developed this nasty habit of stopping and then when I try to start them again, they just give me "some error occured." Most of the Googling says it's a network error but I've tried everything to mend the situation but the only solution is delete everything and start over again.

I'm sick of it. What can I install to function as a Plex server and automatic seedbox that will support the large ZFS library of content I have accrued?

Has anyone ever used OpenFLIXR?

Thanks.

bump

I have an i5 6700K 16 GB of RAM and an SSD.

I'm not even sure which plugins stop. Sickrage's? RSS+torrent has been reliable for me.

No, I haven't used OpenFLIXR

No experience using any of that software but I unironically recommended checking out /r/homelab and /r/datahoarder

I understand that if I have to ask why I need a home server, then I don't need one. Sure, fine. But is there some part of my life that can be more convenient or in some way "improved" if I put in the time to make a home server of any size?

>seed box

I mean if you torrent, it would be easier just to have a dedicated pc to torrent for you.

Dedicated file backup server

This could be on the same pc on a different hard drive.

Minecraft server for your kids if you have any.

digital library for ebooks.

these ideas can range from using raspberry pi, to a used server.

>seed box
Thanks for the suggestions. Seed box is good but I wouldn't know how to automate downloads from my private tracker--I guess I would just take control of the machine and download it.

>file server
File backup server is something I should probably really do. Thinking about it now, if my harddrives fail, it would hit me pretty hard and a lot of random data would be lost. I should be robust.

>digital library
I prefer paper but I do sometimes download a random reference or instructional book.

I'm learning how Machine Learning works. Do y you think a home server could be good for testing ML code on or should I contain that on my workstation? I'd think the answer probably depends on how much better/worse the server is than my workstation.

Shitty pic is shity - couldnt find my camera and phone is kinda crap, Medication messing with my balance isn't helping either.

>that setup
>bt home hub
lmaoing @ u user

it was free and it works well enough. Be nice if It would function as a straight modem, but putting the router in DMZ is good enough for now.

What is the best practice for sharing storage with a VM in terms of performance? A simble samba share, nfs, or share folder feature present in virtualisation software?

Phew. Typically block or object storage made for vms, but I think nfs and smb in their most recent incarnations might also be worth a test.

on torrent seed box, you can use RSS and filter to download certain shows, especially on private tracker, I would recommend transmission, it has ui you can access from your devices on the local network, or setup for remote uploads.

Yeah you can setup to upload files you want backed up on a daily/weekly manner, and have only backup if it has a newer date than previous or you can do it manually, too.

I have never done machine learning so that is completely up to you, I guess it depends how demanding your ML application is..

What's wrong with freenas? I use it and it works great.

its for noobs

I guess I'm a noob them

Is a raspi with usb connected laptop HDDs a good solution for storage?

>Phew
Is it a pain in the ass?
Do you mean creating a virtualdisk and moving the data onto it?

What should I move to? I'm sick of these plugins fucking crashing. I just need it to be able to read ZFS.

stop being a fag relying on shitty application servers and just use BSD

ok. I'm down.

FreeBSD then?

FreeBSD is for noobs

use OpenBSD

I've also heard that CentOS is good. Should I consider that?

CentOS is for noobs

use Arch

I'm reading up on some BSD options for a NAS and it seems like people are saying that the Plex offering still runs in a jail just like FreeNAS. Am I gonna run into the same issues as before where it just stops working randomly and I have to start from scratch all over again?

what do you guys think of QNAP?

Hardware compatibility is a problem, move to OpenMediaVault.

Setting up some enterprise object / block storage can be a pain, as can it be to operate it.

Running kvm or such off it once you have it is easy.

+- the same as Synlology. Makes decent premade NAS, but at a pretty high cost once you want a few more drives or more processing power or functions.

Plus in the end these NAS aren't as easy to work with for more complex setups as a linux / bsd box of your own.

What's a good managed switch I can buy that isn't a 16-24 port monster?

I'm getting an 2u qnap
2 dead bays $50
I got a free 1gb router from work I'm turning into a switch

Any cheap quarter racks?

I'm gonna have an image of my c drive + backup to a local drive + to the qnap

What else should I do?

No I'm not using free nas

A home server is literally just a pc that is on all the time. If you have a use for that, then you have a use for a home server.

I use an old netbook because it's cheaper than running my gaming pc 24/7.

Debian Stable without a DE beats Arch in every way.

I'm gonna build a pfsense machine out of scrap parts I have lying around. It's powerful enough and all that but I have a technical question;
If I use the motherboard's ethernet port and bridge that to my ISP's modem, will I be able to plug in a PCIe ethernet port and connect the rest of my system on that?

I don't know how pfsense works, if there's gonna be driver issues or conflicts or any of the kind.

yes just prepare for shitty performance from consumer standard nics i sure hope its an intel build...

I'm picking up a pair of used rackmount servers in about an hour.

Bought them for a potential learning experience.
Which OS should I use? Is windows server the most entry friendly?

Yep, weird realization

A centralized service to be run for 24hrs

>FreeNAS sucks big dicks edition
no shit

>I'm too lazy to read a log file

>I mean if you torrent, it would be easier just to have a dedicated pc to torrent for you.
you don't need an entire pc you tard. just spin up a VM.

you're weeb trash, with a ton of trashy raspis and old as fuck ayymd boxes who can't stop posting his trash

>I'm too lazy to run iometer

>I don't understand the purpose of object storage

no, its trash

>what do you guys think of QNAP?
trash for people too retarded to setup their own. its intended for small businesses who balk at paying for IT services

>Makes decent premade NAS
Neither is decent, if you have a one with a Atom C2000 just try to get that shit RMA'd. they'll laugh at you and tell you to go fuck yourself if it isn't broken yet.

>A home server is literally just a pc that is on all the time.
its not you retard. servers have things like redundancy. your shitbox doesn't take ECC RAM or have redundant PSUs.

you don't need multiple NICs, you can just do a router on a stick, and use different VLANs for each network which you should be doing anyways rather than just leaving everything untagged.

I know a lot of people hate windows. But my server has been running fine since I brought it online back in 2011. Only issue has been h/w related but that was due to upgrading parts/storage as time went by. The OS itself is Windows Home Server 2011: Core features:
1. Auto Backups of client pcs: (even if they are in sleep mode) Support Mac OSX/Windows XP SP3 - Windows Ten. Long as the client is on it will be backed up once a day. If client is asleep it will be "woke up" during backup, then told to go back to sleep when done.

2. File Sharing/Configuring shares/access rights - Painless and easy.
3. User Accounts - Creation of users is easy
4. Remote access - Allows web based remote access so you can browse/download/upload files to the server. Can also stream your media via the web, (aka youtube like). Oh and the connection is encrypted from the start.
5. DNLA - Supports this and popular formats outta the box, can be augmented with 3rd party programs (Serviio comes to mind, it plus a WDTV live and your set)
5. Can use either built in windows to create software Raid 1/5 for data safety or use h/w raid card.
6. Supports most Server 2008R2 functions such as DHCP/DNS/VPN/IIS Server, can use WSUS to manage client updates.

>not using SCCM for cluster aware updating
pure pleb

bump

Even though you're user, I always know when it's you. Since everyone knows it's just "that one autistic asshole on hsg" again, they know not to take your berating seriously.

Are you this self defeating in every aspect of your life?

Reminder than SBC's are more than enough for home servers. Don't over spend on power bills you stupid.

>Reminder than SBC's are more than enough for home servers.
Then you're not doing jack shit on it, not even running Plex. Go try and transcode 120mbit 4K x265 on your raspi.

no shit, I'm someone who makes a good point and calls everyone a retard when they say something retarded.

>no shit, I'm someone who makes a good point and calls everyone a retard when they say something retarded.

I'm all for good points, and I've seen you spread some wisdom. But berating the kid for having Pis? Come on. Could be some 15yo with no money who is working a summer job to buy our type of gear. Bitching at him for his equipment isn't helping. Telling him the benefits of doing the same thing in a bunch of VMs on ESXI would be more productive.

try restarting the jail itself? if the jail starts, jexec into it and read some logs.

freenas really is a pain in the ass but i've used it for a while

>But berating the kid for having Pis?
yes, if he wants to talk about how he runs plex to stream yify transcodes to his smart tv then he can go in to a different thread and I'll leave him alone. raspis are not servers. the only time I wouldn't give them shit about using raspis is if they were doing something impressive with them, but they never do.

> Could be some 15yo with no money who is working a summer job to buy our type of gear.
when I was in HS I still managed to get some enterprise class gear. I had a cabletron hub which we got rid of at work, and later a HP 4000M. For a few hundred dollars you can get a old server and do shit with it, that is within the reach of some high school kid with a summer job.

it would fall on deaf ears, if fags ask for a vSphere key gen ill give it to them, but they don't want to deal with the overhead. they're just phone posters who want to feel included and put no actual effort in to it.

also the guy with the 10 raspis is like in his 40s and could easily afford a real server. he supposedly works as a sysadmin but somehow has never managed to take home retired equipment from work so he has a 10/100 switch, a ton of raspis, and some old as fuck ayymd boxes.

>For a few hundred dollars you can get a old server and do shit with it

Literally me right now. Whats a reliable OS to install and learn on. Must be dependable.

>Go try and transcode 120mbit 4K x265 on your raspi.
I already did and watched a movie on my odroid c2 ;^)

IMO the best intro would be ESXI free, then make some Ubuntu server VMs to try things out.

Install a cracked version of windows server
I can send you pdfs of takes to do if you want free education
I may have to take some time to find them... I saved them from college includes ad/DNS/dhcp/failover/exchange and more

>choose a hypervisor
>install guests
>figure out what you like
if you want a vSphere key gen then ask

You didn't on a raspi, it uses 16x E5-2660v2 cores.

>IMO the best intro would be ESXI free
No reason when I can just give him vSphere Enterprise. Even if he uses nothing else, storage vMotion is nice to have.

I posted but user I am quoting is a good choice, my senior didn't even know how to use vi

People will pay you for pretty simple shit on Linux

Ok. I'm actually getting a pair so on the first rackmount I'll install this.

On the second identical system I'll put winserver. I just finished torrenting winserver 2008 and 2012. I'd appreciate if you upload some pdfs somewhere for me to read.

>On the second identical system I'll put winserver. I just finished torrenting winserver 2008 and 2012. I'd appreciate if you upload some pdfs somewhere for me to read.
This is retarded. Just install it as a guest unless you want to use hyper-v as a type 1.

And why the fuck are you using legacy editions of Windows Server. 2016 is current.

*shudders* you'll easily see 2000 if you work for an map

SCCM literally cannot manage CAU natively, stop making shit up.

I'll have to google your terms, I'll come back with an opinion later.

How in the shit do you consider 2008 or 2012 a type 1 hypervisor

>On the second identical system I'll put winserver. I just finished torrenting winserver 2008 and 2012. I'd appreciate if you upload some pdfs somewhere for me to read.

You can run win server in ESXI too. At least for your initial testing. Will be nice to have snapshots and the option to easily nuke it and start fresh a few times when you inevitably fuck everything up.

>SCCM literally cannot manage CAU natively, stop making shit up.
It does you retard, they're called Server Groups

serverfault.com/questions/810581/microsoft-sccm-2016-build-1606-deploying-software-updates-to-server-group-co

Hyper-V is type 1 you retard

serverfault.com/questions/326844/is-hyper-v-a-real-hypervisor

I am uploading the PDFs now with 1/3 text books -- it's the highest level text book for server 2012 r2. in theory this would all get you your mcsa, i never went for it...

sorry not the "highest" level text book, it's the highest level for the mcsa certification.

I was impatient, i should have just waited for the upload to say that.

here is the link: mega.nz/#!q4d3kLBL!D0lTpPtUbOxw1riR0PEUwbaXQXfClhSPZyqEDw7Niuk

I honestly haven't gone through the files in close to two years but should be useful for fucking around.

>serverfault.com/questions/326844/is-hyper-v-a-real-hypervisor

You apparently do not know what Cluster Aware Updating, or what it does. And since it looks like you just google your answers, go look up "CAU" role, and tell me how that has anything to do with Group Updating feature from SCCM.

But bro, those are dates, not servers!

>go look up "CAU" role
There is no Cluster Aware Updating role you retard. Pic related

Nor is there a feature you retard

that makes no sense

That's pretty sexy but what do you do if a cable goes bad or your dog chews it up? Tear it all down and re-wire everything and then bundle it up again with ties?

And Microsoft even calls it as such

docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sccm/core/servers/manage/pre-release-features

>Servicing a cluster aware collection (service a server group)

docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/failover-clustering/cluster-aware-updating

Holy fuck you really don't know what you are talking about do you?

How about I enlighten you, assuming you have ever built a windows failover cluster, see above article.

Or just google more. kthx bye

cluster aware collection, is not cluster aware updating.

Also you are pointing to a pre-release feature that has not made the cut because of it's unreliability of node locking.

Also before I ass blast you, please see below

"Can CAU work well with System Center Configuration Manager?
We recommend that you not use both CAU and System Center Configuration Manager to update cluster nodes. CAU coordinates software updates on each cluster node as part of a broader orchestration with a design objective of maintaining service up time through updating cycles. Configuration Manager is also technically capable of updating the cluster nodes. You may use either tool at your discretion. However, be careful to avoid overlapping coverage that might affect availability of your clustered services as a result of each update management tool operating independent of the other."

citation: technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831367(v=ws.11).aspx

kthx bye

>I still don't know what a role is on windows
stay retarded user

>I don't understand how SCCM works
and it works fine

>legacy documentation
that predates Server Groups in SCCM you retard

I dunno man, a server in the home is good but without the second part part of it, backup, your pretty much just playing a waiting game till your data is lost due to failure of some type. It don't mater if your using a shit box or a nice rack setup, failure don't care. RAID is NOT a backup, all it is good for is to create large vast single data volumes with some protection so if failure does happen you can backup your data before the whole volume (array) is lost for good. With 12TB+ data sets coming more and more common now you better have some plan in mind in case the worst happens, cloud based backup is out when it comes to data this vast (unless you have a lot of time/money to burn), so is burnable media (Blu-ray/DVD). THe only decent option from price point of view is HDD backup. This is where low end nas units shine, sure they are low power but for just data backup work they're perfect. or depending on need, a USB 3 external enclosure will work. Right now I've got all my data backed up to a pair of nas units. The data is split between them. Next year I plan to get a 12TB drive and stuff it in a external USB 3 enclosure. So I will have two copies of the backup. Yes 12TB drive cost $500 but for backup it's money well spent plus the benefit of higher transfer rate (6GB VS 1GB ethernet).

There are many free backup solutions, a shotbox won't take up much space. I'm sure everyone has some sort of backup

How can someone be this much in denial.

Iono man looks pretty fucking current to me since it is a best practice

docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/failover-clustering/cluster-aware-updating-requirements

Also, it is still a role, just because it doesn't show up in the "roles" does not mean it's not a role. The fuck kinda aspie are you

"CAU clustered role "

I know how SCCM works perfectly fine, let me know how manages updating your 16 node clusters with 50 VM(s) each without failing miserably halfway through. There is a reason why people are not using it and it is still in pre-release.

Unironically agreed. Their wikis are pretty good.

doing some firmware updating on the new host

looks like im going to need to buy another 1500 ups if i want to add the 4th 380. hoping i can get 4 more 6tb wd reds this black friday

Which partition method should be chosen on d
debian 9 server setup for a home server used for data storage, random backups, cloud sharing among a family, and vpn? This server will be running on a i3 laptop with 1TB hd and 6GB memory.

Can anyone vouch for or against Resilio (formerly BTSync)? I can't pretty forward on my school's network, so I've been using Resilio to access files from my always-on desktop over WAN while in class or traveling. Are there better options for file syncing? Should I be worried about security?

>backup

pic related

>docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/failover-clustering/cluster-aware-updating-requirements
more legacy documentation which only references SCCM 2007. good job on using references which talk about 10 year old software you retard. And stay butthurt you can't make SCCM work.

Currently I'm routing everything through a 4-port ISP issued Modem/Router combo. My speeds aren't that great, so.

It's intel all the way.

> you can just do a router on a stick, and use different VLANs for each network
massively overcomplicating things for a newbie. I have 3 computers/servers and a NAS. There is no need to complicate this type of setup when it's this volatile. If I wanted a correct, proper setup, I would've bought a fucking server rack.
There is an art to building infrastructure out of scrap you find.

On another note I would like to point out that you're fucking wrong on this point
>servers have things like redundancy. your shitbox doesn't take ECC RAM or have redundant PSUs.
A server is a fucking computer that serves user(s). It does not matter if this has any level of redundancy or reliability or stability. If it serves, it's a server.

Honestly you sound like a twat. Where's your trip?

>massively overcomplicating things for a newbie
so what you're saying is that you don't know how to do these things, don't want to learn, and declare that it must be overcomplicating things.

>If it serves, it's a server.
Its not

>Currently I'm routing everything through a 4-port ISP issued Modem/Router combo.
This explains everything, you're a retarded phone poster larping

>so what you're saying is that you don't know how to do these things, don't want to learn, and declare that it must be overcomplicating things.
Point me towards resources I can read, otherwise you're just belittling.

>Its not
Good point, I retract my statement!

>This explains everything, you're a retarded phone poster larping
So because I didn't dump a few thousands bucks into servers I don't need, even though I'm literally fixing this exact thing right now, it makes me a retarded phone poster, LARPing.
pic related, my phone.

Any of this shit worth it?
Mainly looking to pick up a NAS

>Point me towards resources I can read, otherwise you're just belittling.
I am belittling you. Its not my job to spoonfeed you.

no, it is all trash

Look at the date of the article, sorry Microsoft cannot update EVERY EXAMPLE

04/28/2017

Applies to: Windows Server (Semi-Annual Channel), Windows Server 2016, Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows Server 2012

Examples of configuration management systems include Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager 2007 and Microsoft System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2008.

keyword examples. Christ you are daft.

When did I say I can't make SCCM work? Up until 20 minutes ago you didn't even know what fucking cluster aware updating was.

all-in-one routers are garbage. buy discrete APs/routers/switches only, ever.

the synology NASs have decent prices, and while you could obviously build something yourself cheaper, the software management is miles beyond stuff like FreeNAS

So you can at the very least admit that much. Maybe there is hope for this conversation

Let me try and explain this to you, as a mere peasant to a king.
If I want to eat a bowl of spaghetti - I'm sure you familiar with this, seeing as you're leaking spaghetti all over the place from your fucking imaginary pockets right now - I wouldn't eat the whole plate all at once. I'd eat it slowly so that I don't choke and die.

Same with information and knowledge. You learn a little bit at a time, you don't go balls to the walls day 1. You may take in a lot of information, but for us mere peasants, most of that isn't gonna stick. We don't have time to process it.

I'm sure an IT king such as yourself can understand this analogy.
Please accept my sincerest apologies for intruding on your turf, and thank you.

Hi /hsg/, I currently have an old shitty PC setup as a headless debian server to act as a seedbox and fileserver but it costs me over $10 a month in electricity just having it on and it is a in a large desktop case which is taking up a bunch of space. I was planning to swap it out for something smaller and more power efficient that I could set up near my TV so that I can use it as a HTPC + the other jobs.
Suggestions appreciated.

Budget: ~200 AUD (150 USD, 130 EUR)
Uses/programs (question marks are things I am considering but unsure of): Torrenting (rtorrent+rutorrent+autodl-irssi), VPN (OpenVPN?), fileserver+backups, htpc/media server (PLEX or Kodi?), TV gaming with gamepads (stream from my gaming PC?)

I have a non-home server for ZNC, seedbox (shortterm), distant VPN etc. I was thinking of just grabbing an rpi but am worried about it being too underpowered.

>2007
>10 years old
As I said you retard, you're references only cite legacy systems

>When did I say I can't make SCCM work?
In >Up until 20 minutes ago you didn't even know what fucking cluster aware updating was.
That projection who thought it was a role in windows server and who didn't know that SCCM can do cluster aware updating.

>So you can at the very least admit that much
I've said this repeatedly, not only in this thread but in previous ones.

If you want to learn how to use VLANs there are tons of documents and videos to spoonfeed it to you. I'm not going to work a 10k word article on Sup Forums explaining what VLANs are, and how to implement them on some unknown piece of hardware.

Thank you, I just came back from picking these up. I got the pair for $80. I'll start tinkering in the morning.

Those IstarUSA 5.25" HDD cages seem like a good deal. get one of those cases where the entire front is 5.25" bays and you have a decent hot swap nas case for cheap

>I've said this repeatedly, not only in this thread but in previous ones.
I've said this repeatedly, not only in this thread but in previous ones.
I don't read the fucking threads for such specific questions as mine, buddy.
Nor do I hang around, some of whatever it is you got might rub off on me.

If you had a shred reading comprehension you'd notice I said:
>Point me towards resources I can read
not
>Write me a gigantic essay on vlans please thank you
you'd also remember that my question was, in fact, not at all how vlans work, but if pfsense would be able to tunnel shit from the motherboard's ethernet port to the PCIe NIC port.

>>Point me towards resources I can read
lmgtfy.com/?q=vlan tutorial

>but if pfsense would be able to tunnel shit from the motherboard's ethernet port to the PCIe NIC port.
yes although it is completely unnecessary unless you really need the additional bandwidth which you likely don't.

they're cheap in every sense.
the supermicro 3*5.25" -> 5*3.5" with the fans are pricey but not actual garbage.

>the supermicro 3*5.25" -> 5*3.5" with the fans are pricey but not actual garbage.
/thread

In my first shitbox I had some icy dock backplanes which would constantly rattle the fans died quickly. My SuperMicro M28SACB works like a champ however.