Are e-readers a meme? When can I find a Stallman-approved reader?

Are e-readers a meme? When can I find a Stallman-approved reader?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book
github.com/bq/cervantes
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28118668
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26065349
journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0169114
a.co/fcVlWjD
google.com/patents/US20080043317
b-ok.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

E-readers? Yes. They are shit.

Get an iPad. If you just want to read, get the iPad mini. Otherwise an iPad Pro.

There aren't any stallman approved readers, but the kindle is the anti-stallman. Kobo is based on open source software and so is pretty close, The nook I have no idea about, but kindle is the worse since it's the most botnet.

100% free as in freedom and Stallman approved

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book

and take your iCrap with you

Get a tablet.
The few decent one are very expensive.
The only e-reader you can consider is the nook simple touch for the fast refresh rate, and Kobo Glo HD.

I started searching for a decent reader.
Reached the price of Kindle, see Tablets FHD for the same price.
Reached the price of a decent Tablet, see Thinkpads.
So here I am typing in my x240.

You should have gotten X230t

Oh my fucking god I miss Red Alert 2 so much, FUCK.

Which facebook game is that?

Go drink some bleach and shoot yourself in the mouth, you dumb fucking shit stain.

Underrated post

iToys don't have e-ink sceeens.

> (OP)
>The few decent one are very expensive.
You mean tablets or ebook readers? Any tablet recs?

That's Red Alert 2 you uncultured swine

I owned one of the very first ones and for me it was a meme. your mileage may vary.

Decent E-readers are expensive, can reach to 700$.
Currently most tablet are overpriced, so you either settle for older models or get cheap chink.

kill yourself

get some weak chinkshit tablet with a good battery, should be around $100 if not less. I think I was looking at some telcast 4:3 one that was probably ok for reading

>4:3
>reading
Why?

because fuck you, .pdfs without proper text reflow are cancer

>2020
>pdf

I was genuinely asking for a reason.
Thanks for nothing you useless reptile.

>what are old books that got manually scanned
sorry, the reason is pictures in books and books that are scanned and basically a pdf full of images

There are readers that run KOreader, a linux based reader.

I understand that.
But aren't those more close to 16:9 than 4:3?
Many of the books I do read are scanned books.

>that apple pen
kys

I don't know honestly, I'm kind of under the impression that it would look better on a wider screen. Plus then I wouldn't need to get a 9'+ screen to get that needed space

I have a kindle paperwhite and it's quite useful since I actually read books and scientific papers and not mangoes.

kindle is great once its jailbroken i have an old non touch screen model tho the resolution is lower than older ones its still okay for manga and great for books battery lasts a couple weeks without chrging

what aspect ratio do you think most ereaders are?

I love my e-reader and I consider it to be one of the best things I bought in my entire life.

Advantages in comparison to tablets:
1. I can read for hours without any eystrain;
2. The battery lasts for weeks;
3. It won't become slow and obsolete after a couple of years;
4. It's incredibly resistant (my Kindle once fell from the second floor and got nothing but a scratch).

Advantages in comparison to books:
1. eBooks are much cheaper than actual books (I know you can download them for free in many websites, but I like supporting this market);
2. Much more portable and resistant;
3. No need to print tons of paper and to physically deliver the books, so it is more environment-friendly;
4. More access to works from independent/amateur writers;
5. Built-in dictionaries to help reading in other languages;
6. Easy to add and keep track of notes.

4:3, but there are 16:9/16:10
>I can read for hours without any eystrain
Wear glasses.
>The battery lasts for weeks
Valid point, but who reads in outdoors?
>It won't become slow and obsolete after a couple of years
Neither tablets.
>It's incredibly resistant
Doesn't this depends on how careless you are?
>supporting this market
LOL, the writers don't get anything.
>Much more portable and resistant
Valid point
>it is more environment-friendly
You might want to reconsider this.
>More access to works from independent/amateur writers
YMMV
>Built-in dictionaries to help reading in other languages
Except when it doesn't really help you.
>Easy to add and keep track of notes
What's brain?

>$700

It only has to display text what the fuck makes it so expensive?

>Wear glasses.
I do. And yes, I have those glasses with blue light filter. But the light from the screen still make my eyes tired anyway.
> Who reads in outdoors?
I do. My work requires my to travel a lot and spend many days without returning home.
> Neither tablets.
I used to have a tablet and it started to become slower and slower with time, just like any smartphone I have ever had. I gave up using it, so I just gave it to a friend with more patience.
> Doesn't this depends on how careless you are?
Sure, but shit happens even if you are careful.
> LOL, the writers don't get anything.
I know that that's true in most cases. However, buying books and e-books show the editors that there is a public for that, then publishing more books. I am currently living in Brazil, and it is estimated that 44% of the population do not regularly read, and 30% never bought a book! So many good titles are never released here, and books are fucking expensive.
> You might want to reconsider this.
One ebook reader has a much larger footprint than one book, but you can easily make up for that if you read a lot with your e-book reader.
> YMMV
True, but I can at least buy them digitally and give my money directly to the author.
> Except when it doesn't really help you.
For me, it does. My native language is Spanish, and it's being really helpful to practice my English and to learn Portuguese.
> What's brain?
I read a lot, so it is impossible for me to memorize all interesting quotes I find. I usually do not have a notebook or a pen around, so it is much easier to have an organized list with exact quotations.

Newer e-ink technology, more "unnecessarily features" like pen and stuff like that.
>I have those glasses with blue light filter
I thought those were a hoax?

e-reader is a must for anyone that travels, reading on any kind of tablet is a fucking joke in comparison also.

Thinking of going to Kobo H2o edition lads just so I have a waterproof version. But my paperwhite has been going solid for a good few years now. Hopefully one day amazon stops being spergs and goes waterproof also.

But is an e-reader a good buy for reading my Chinese comic books on? Isn't a tablet more functional for translation tools and programs for reading than something that's just an electronic book?

>glasses with blue light filter.
falling for the blue light filter meme.
>spend many days without returning home.
In the woods?
>it started to become slower and slower with time
Flash custom ROM, Wipe the device, remove resource intensive social apps.
>books are fucking expensive
Don't you have second hand book store in brazil?

You probably don't read manga for hours on end every night so a ebook reader might not be needed. Mate has a Kindle Manga but and it displays great, he only reads the fan sub conversions but so no idea if it's actually capable of translation.

KindleFag here. I always keep my device on airplane mode/don't have a wireless network password saved on it. Have Calibre to torrent and put books on my shit (via USB). Is there anything I'm doing wrong here?

just print your shitty e-books

Get a bq Cervantes.

Src: github.com/bq/cervantes

Well for me all jokes aside I'm learning Japanese and recently realized I can purchase raw Japanese manga magazines for kindle off of amazon. So instead of importing the volumes months late and paying more for shipping I can get the magazine the day it comes out in Japan for almost what they pay for it. My Japanese isn't up to snuff though so I would like the capability of some tools like capture to text to put words into online Japanese dictionaries in case I get stuck. Is e-readers more capable of doing what I want it to do or should I spend more for a tablet?

I think tablets are better for manga than ebook readers. Consider the cheapest ipad you can get. Goes for books as well, with lots of pictures.

Got a random eBook reader from a local place, its running linux, has a micro sdcard and no WiFi.

Neat, how well does it run scanned PDF ?
And how much did you pay?

runs pretty much anything, PDF are kinda meh because of the resolution (at least for books/papers, so i usually convert to epub).

Think i payed around 80$ for it.

>PDF to epub
What's the difference?

With e-pub the ebook itself can decide the font, fontsize, and formatting.

there's only one e-ink display manufacturer because the technology is patented

as with virtually all patented technology, you won't see any actual widespread use of it until the patent expires

I cannot understate how enormously devastation patents are to innovation and competition in the marketplace. They should be abolished or reduced to a length of only 1-3 years before expiring.

We are only just now getting decent and affordable 3D printers for example, because the patents on the technology have finally begun to expire.

Blue filter glasses are not a meme.
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28118668
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26065349
journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0169114

> In the woods?
Yes, I work with isolated communities (including indigenous people).

> Don't you have second hand book store in brazil?
Yes, but (i) I don't like to have to search for what I want to read in many stores and (ii) this way I am not giving any incentive to the brazilian book industry, as I mentioned before.

I meant regarding scanned PDFs.

Also, epub files are much lighter (and most ebook readers suck at displaying pdf files).

Can you give me an example of a few? I'm having trouble finding these "premium" ebook readers.

a.co/fcVlWjD

I bought this exact one after both my Inkpad 2 and my Icarus XL broke. It's a nice little unassuming machine, I like it too. The only issue so far is that when set to English the inbetween texts remain Dutch.

seems like they come with different branding, mine is Denver EBO-610L

didn't E-ink parents expire yet? the technology was patented in 1996

They expire very soon or have just expired.

Which means we'll probably see an explosion in cheap e-ink screens in the next 5 years.

Would you buy E-Ink phone?

google.com/patents/US20080043317

it was filled in 2007

Yes, do this if you want to literally fucking cry every time you read something for more than 10 minutes.

>costs as much as a modern day flagship tablet
>runs a 6 year old os
still, if you use this and a free copy of your college's textbooks, you actually might end up saving money
Thanks for sending me the link.

>>The battery lasts for weeks
>Valid point, but who reads in outdoors?

I don't think that's the point. With a long-lasting battery life, you avoid that annoying situation where you have to stop what you are doing because the battery is dying and you don't have a power socket around.

But you get similar if not performance from old chink tablets.

>That 2010's aesthetic
HNNNG

They are awesome to read books and articles. Just don't buy it if your idea is to read anything other than that.
The browser usually sucks, it is slow for PDFs and it only renders black and white images.

What's wrong with it?

But do you get the e-ink display? also, bear in mind that the e-reader in question had a 1600x1200 display and people are still complaining about low dpi.

As both LCD and e-ink screens have their own advantages and disadvantages, I would.

High resolution doesn't mean high DPI.

>Are e-readers a meme?
That completely depends on how much you read. I use my paperwhite for at least 4-5 hours daily, and am too poor to buy books, so its a fucking boon for me.

eink is amazing and so are free books

is KOreader good for non-anglo readers?
I dont really see the need to actually jailbreak an e-reader if you have calibre

My old kobo just ignores any DRM for some reason
Pretty neat

why the fuck does anyone buy anything that is not the digital paper?

I use a Windows 8 tablet that has a decent 1280*900 (i think) screen so text is very clear and it's great to read both comics and ebooks.
I've read I think about 20-25 books on it the past 3 years I own it.
Recommend it fully because it's literally win8 so you can do anything you need (slowly)

>Windows 8 tablet
Which is?
Can you install android/GNU+Linux?

I'm a poor student. Had to settle for a much smaller Sony reader, but the digital paper would be the ideal solution.

i got the jailbreak to use Koreader since i'd rather put epubs directly onto the device than converting them to another format. I'm not sure about multi lang support though but i imagine it uses a uni font

where does g get their books from?

Telegram

Top bant

owning a kindle

L O N D O N
O
N
D
O
N

You are doing fine. I do the same. Calibre is the best.

I like my Kobo H2O a lot.
Chose it for the size (and sd card slot), not the waterproofing, and it feels pretty much ideal for reading material with light visual figures, like what's in training manuals.
Figure heavy material like math or scientific papers it still feels a little lacking in size for though. I'd also not read comics/manga on it.

I fucking adore by H20 v2. Waterproof + f.lux are things I couldn't live without now.

Seriously don't know how they could ever improve on this.

No, they are great. I went from a couple books read a year to dozens, it's just so much easier when I can just pirate most of the shit I want.

Also I guess there's no Stallman-approved one, but the Kobo Glo HD or the Kobo Aura H2O are probably close. They still have microSD slots and great screens.

>They still have microSD slots and great screens

I believe of the current Kobos only the One has an SD slot still. It's totally not an issue though since none of this stuff takes up much space, unless you plan to travel for a year and want to read nothing but comics.

Those were previous gen.

None of the current gen kobos have SD card slots.

>"unnecessarily features" like pen
its pretty useful if you want to take notes or draw or something.
it is pretty much digital paper, its nice to have all the good parts of regular paper.

i could do without slimness obsession and wireless shit though.

Red Alert 2's UI

#bookz
Literally ask /lit/

I mostly use #bookz too, but I believe there are DDL sites /lit/ knows about that are easier

with the kobos you can also use them without registering an account or ever enabling wifi on the device by editing the database on the sd card, or at least this is the case on my kobo aura h2o (first gen)

b-ok.org/
like i said! Ask them!
Its from their sticky

I meant like a horny hnnng

koreader is clunky shit
kobo own firmware is good enough

e-ink is nice. libgen is great. The two together is godly.

I use a Kobo Aura, pretty nice.

Seriously though, if you plan to actually read digital books, don't do it on an LCD screen like a tablet. The eye strain is crap and you'll get distracted and do something else within 5 minutes.