Why haven't you lubricated your fans with WD40 today?

Why haven't you lubricated your fans with WD40 today?

Because wd40 is for removing lube not adding it.
What you want is some spraycan lubricant.

because machine oil is better.

This is note lube. ever.

Is a degreaser, but does also have lubricating oil in there too.
Bad choice for fans though

WD40 is fine for squeaky hinges and shit but in a fan it'll gum up really quickly. if you need to lubricate a fan you get mineral oil.

This.
Technically it leaves some oily residue but in fact it works as if it was dry metal to metal contact.

Maybe it protects from rusting or whatever doesnt protect from friction at all

because I did not have to displace water from my fans today

Because I didn't get them wet, and there is no reason to use a "Water Displacer" on them.

Instead, I add some light machine oil to the oil pore on each fan once a year.

I wouldn't use that shit on my fans

Aside from all the other stuff mentioned, WD40 is also really hard on plastic, every time you use it your fans will just start getting worse each time until they sound like mini lawnmowers.
The god tier lube for plastics is lithium grease, which you used to see in VCRs back in the day.

The no meme approach for long lasting fan lubricant: powdered graphite

>smart straw
THE FUTURE IS NOW

because i switched all those shitty stock fans to Premium Magnetic Levitation Fans 2 years ago and i am not a poorfag.

my fans LE-VI-TATE nigga, they dont need no lubricants.

only my dick needs lubricant now.

My panaflo 38mm x 120mm fans never squeak or needed any sort of lube or anything.
Been rocking for 4 years. Although I need to use a fan controller on these fuckers else they go full delta which is a good thing when I'm rendering but otherwise it's too loud.

>corsairshit
those maglev fans are shit
they perform way worse than noctuas or scythe grand flex

t. owner of all three

idiots

>Function
>The long-term active ingredient is a non-volatile viscous oil which remains on the surface to which it is applied, giving lubrication and protection from moisture.

I use cheaper WD-40 clones

What's shit about them?

Just curious, not the same goy my dick is still intact.

I hate the smell of WD40

I only use it for things that stay outdoors, for its anti-corrosive properties.

If corrosion isn't an issue I use Teflon spray.

>using WD40 on a high friction surface
ayyyy lmao, the cheapest good lubricant for fans you can get would be either gun oil or grandma's sewing machine oil

next step up after that is lithium grease, but shit's expensive

Because I use $3 arctic f12 and I can replace all of them for the price of WD40.

>buy brand spanking new Hyper 212 EVO
>start hearing a weird sound after some days
>the same noises a hard drive going bad would make
>shit my pants, think my caviar blacks are dying
>check SMART, everything A-OK
>it's that fucking fan
>ignore the sound
>after a while it starts to annoy me
>oil the thing
>weird rattling sound still there
>no cables touching the fan or anything

What the fuck, Cooler Master.

>Not using paraffin oil

WD40 is terrible for electrics.
Use electrical contact cleaner.
Does everything WD40 does but much better.

wd40 isnt lube.
>door squeaks like shit
>wd40 it like clock work
>every couple months needs wd40
>have enough
>take literal cooking oil
>slather it all over the hinges
>door hasnt squeaked for well over a decade.

You fucking amateur.

Buy some Mobil XHP 222, with molybdenum disulfide, then lather that fucker up until grease is oozing out of every single crevice.

IDIOT

I was like 10 years old.
you know what, I solved the problem and it never came back so fuck you Im proud of little me.

Because I used it up killing wasps

NO EXCUSES FOR HALF ASSING, YOU INSOLENT LITTLE SHIT.

/closed

>lubricate fans with Hoppe's #9
>turn on computer
>room smells like Hoppe's #9 now
>mfw

I prefer to lube my fans with K.Y and saliva.

>cooking oil
Fucking nasty. Only vegetable oil that's good as a lubricant is castor oil, and even then you want it converted into a grease.

Way overkill for a low-pressure low-temperature application.

Any lithium grease will do, just get something clear that doesn't leave nasty stains.

>2017
>still having fans
passive cooling master race reporting in, AMA

Because my 12” MacBook doesn’t have fans and I don’t want my place smelling like a garage even if I had fans to lubricate?

Lots of terrible info in this thread. What you want to do is put one drop of pic related in the little hole under your fan's sticker

They might not perform as well in early life, but they will last for decades with only light dusting.

WD40 was invented to leave a thin layer of oil on irregular surfaces that have cracks, and pits, and shit like that. It has light volatile oils that carry heavier oils. The light one penetrates inside gaps and leaves the heavy stuff behind, evaporating. It was designed to protect rockets made out of thin material from corrosion, since a little rust making it into a microcrack would fuck everything up.
That said, if you want serious lubrication, you don't use WD40, even if it can do the job. Only use it if you're working with something that has an irregular shape, or gaps, or is hard to reach.

Not everyone is made of money to blow on server tier japanese fans for their pc.

And?
Cooking oil does tje same thing, but you don't use it in your fans.
The residual oil from WD-40 is not suitable for every job. Depending on the fan type, it could be bearing grease or other thinner lubricants

that chunk of aluminium with no moving part is rattling?
either tighten the screws or change the fan

Because I used it all to lubricate my anus :DDD

So yea, WD40 is great for a door hinge maybe. But i would strongly advise sewing machine oil for oiling the bearing of a fan. Its lightweight and viscosity is perfect.

because you mom's my biggest fan, OP, and she's self lubricating.

Is this real? I'm supposed to oil my computer fans?

No wonder they make such shitty noises after only three years of constant 100%

If you are ok to try:

Olive oil.

When used in places not exposed to air it wont oxidize.
Not only that: it slowly gets thicker over time due bio degradation.
This compensates the wearing in the fan over time.
Resulting in a cheap, emergency repair that also will last forever with incredible results even in already noisy old fans.

well it was canola oil, idk if its exactly the same as cooking oil. Im not saying its proper, all Im saying is it solved the problem for good. it doesnt have a smell or anything if thats what you think, it was fresh.

>bio degradation
>good

That gunk cant really be called oil by then.

>but you don't use it in your fans
Maybe you don't

it will smell over time...

great, we got soy boys and now canola boys

How does one make grease from motor oil or other high-speed types of oil?
I heard that it should be mixed with soft soap until a paste-like consistency.
Buying 1L of motor oil and 1L of soap is I'd say 20-25x cheaper than 2L of anti-seize or lubricating grease.

wd40 smell is one of the best smells in the world

WD 40 is a water displacement agent. It's called WD40 because they did test after test until it worked for them, now you WD 40, the test that worked. It is not a lube agent at all. It will stop a hinge squeak, but it is not a lube chemical...

WD-40 is not for lubrication.

*lewbs

>canola
What's the deal with canola oil? Is this some euphemism invented by SJWs because saying rapeseed oil is too triggering?

rapeseed oil used to be inedible so they gave the new variety for human consumption a different name because publicity reasons.

He's not talking about vegetable oil your stupid vegan. False equivalence.

fucking amateurs

/k/ has really quiet computer hardware... who woulda thunk it ... probably so they can listen out for home intruders

>all these home and diy level solutions
Trust no one on Sup Forums to work with electrical equipment professionally.

Followed by this.

Too busy lubricating your mom

When I fucked her mom she was already lubricated enough

You can get other penetrating oils that do a better job in most situations.
WD40 is great to have around, since it'll do until you get something more fit for purpose.

While at it open up your hard drive and lube that shit up to increase its RPM.

WD40 is a solvent for grease and oil. It is the opposite of a lubricant, at least long-term.

both probably cost more than the fan

if you can steal some like a good employee i am happy for you

Neither are one time use, so that's not really a valid point.

WD-40 can fix anything just like me grandpa taught me

WD40 can break down other, longer lasting lubricants. Good luck replacing all your fans next month.

my point is a drop of oil is more economical, well actually my point is what ever you have around is more economical... just stay away from food oil (smell) and wax based lube, stupid me almost used white lightning (parrafin based lmtb chain lube once - gums up by design)

Huh, over here we still call it rapeseed oil and we cook on it. Granted, we're not an english speaking country (CZfag) but the english parts of the label clearly state it: "rapeseed oil"

>not having more than a dozen different oils and lubes and using most of them on one fan

The rapeseed varieties with low erucic acid content were first bred in Canada; that is where the "can" in canola oil comes from. Pretty good marketing move if you ask me.

Used on your mom's vagina.

>lubricate
>WD40
This is the state of Sup Forums...

>not using it ultra power to your machine
Stop

Tell us more

> using deodorant on my fans

it's not good for a door hinge
did this at my parents' place years ago and after a week the hinges started creaking again

to everyone in this thread: USE FUCKING TEFLON OIL FOR LUBING METAL, USE MINERAL OIL TO LUBE PLASTIC