HEVC codec is no longer free. Microsoft requires you to purchase a license

HEVC codec is no longer free. Microsoft requires you to purchase a license.

Other urls found in this thread:

nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4583/~/4k-uhd-netflix-content-on-nvidia-gpus
nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4583/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It never was. That's why adoption sucks.

They gave it away for free in the past.

Please note. If you are using a fresh install of Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, you may need to go to the Windows store to purchase the HEVC codec to playback Netflix 4K/HDR content. Microsoft no longer provides this for free.

Why the fuck would I do that? My TV doesn't have this problem and my PCs monitor isn't 4K because I'm not a special snowflake with alleged super human vision

>They gave it away for free in the past.
>they
Who?

It's actually why MPEG standards suck, they cram in all sorts of proprietary variants of the standard, so that companies can demand royalties.

>Proprietary standard
>not free

Nothing has changed and not a problem for anyone.

Who?

>Microsoft no longer provides this for free.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAH

>4k@23"
>patrician fonts
pleb

REEEEEE my poor windows 10 computer nooooooo!!

It was never free.

It's just no longer included in the base price.
Which is good because it gives people a choice.

>receive less for the same price
>"good"
This is what your brain looks like on unrestrained capitalism.

He's probably again net neutrality too because it gives consumers more choice, like Comcast or suicide.

Would this affect video game cutscenes?

No. The video game developers will most likely include a license for HEVC decoding for the cutscenes.

Well, the price of Windows 10 should come down as a result.

Nah, I'm against net neutrality because I want to see Americans suffer no other reason.

I tho video cutscene use bink video?

Works fine on my iPhone and my Mac.

Natively supported too for encoding and decoding.

Even works on the iPhone 5s :)

This makes more sense:

People encoding HEVC should pay for the license to have their own videos decoded.

If, say, Netflix likes HEVC so much they could easily pay for it themselves.

nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4583/~/4k-uhd-netflix-content-on-nvidia-gpus

>Please note. If you are using a fresh install of Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, you may need to go to the Windows store to purchase the HEVC codec to playback Netflix 4K/HDR content. Microsoft no longer provides this for free.

>Microsoft has billions but won't even subsidize HEVC decoder costs

HEVC IS FINISHED & BANKRUPT

MS begins on AV1, h264 don't think avoid internet video, becomes standard web, now h265 want gets a lot royal money from web.

Does the Winshitters nightmare never end?

Mkay.
I suppose everything is in h.264 anyway

You also have to pay for decoding, that's the issue with the MPEG standards. Luckily, non-free browsers such as Google Chrome come with these already paid for by Google. However, on Windows, Microsoft paid for it, so you could have it in whatever browser or user application you wanted for "free".

people used 265 ???
kekekekeke

Oh you mean microsoft specific implementaion of codec is not given out? They did the same thing for DVD playback when W10 first launched, they only provided it free for people upgrading from W7 etc. Anyway 4k with DRM is cancer, stick to ffmpeg based players.

>netflix
Literally lol.

>You also have to pay for decoding

My point is: instead of making consumers pay for decoding they should make the content creators pay for both encoding and decoding.

Making consumers pay is like selling someone your product in a locked box the buyer has to pay extra to open.

>Making consumers pay is like selling someone your product in a locked box the buyer has to pay extra to open.

Or like selling an app that can only be used on a $1000 facebook remote made by Apple.

AV-1 is in final stages of development, IDK lol.

AV1 when?

The jews

It's great that Microsoft joins in supporting AV1

So glad I fell for the LTSB meme.

>HEVC codec is no longer free. Microsoft requires you to purchase a license.

WINBLOWS WAS A MISTAKE

What? I use K-lite codec pack though.

Is this bait? Can't find anything about this online.

nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4583/