How to fake a British accent? Or get a real one?

I was trying to illustrate what a white collar British accent sounds like the other day for a friend and it was a fucking trainwreck. I sounded exactly like yanks in comedy shows trying to imitate Brits.

I'm a foreigner, I thought I could still switch between accents if I wanted to? That I'm not like the natives where they're stuck with the one they always had. ie: a Texan will still sound like a Texan after spending 30 years in the UK.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cnu01HHRxtc
m.youtube.com/watch?v=ztMboZYBCJo
youtube.com/watch?v=xj_kwIz9vcY
youtube.com/watch?v=fsdhOKZv0uo
vocaroo.com/i/s1ivCA6j1cvX
youtube.com/watch?v=lhODZBaSyq8
youtube.com/watch?v=06XcdUENDbw
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Step one: Take a dock in your mouth
Step two: Speak

basically just try to speak like a bit of a fag and it should turn out pretty accurate

>tfw my spoken english is the valley girl accent

Speak like a bit of a fag and remember the hundreds of years of world dominance to get the level of smug right.

Also stop watching American media until you get rid of americanisms.

Just watch some Jeremy Kyle clips and imitate how they speak.

youtube.com/watch?v=cnu01HHRxtc

You could probably get one off Amazon

m.youtube.com/watch?v=ztMboZYBCJo

Watch stuff like this and practice, repeat what they are saying until it sounds like them and you can do it naturally.

>24 yeahs

What did he mean by this?

If you say "ears", it sounds like you're saying "yes" in a really posh accent.

>stop watching American media
>stop watching American media
H-how can you even suggest something like that British-bro?! Good movies are coming out on DVD (which I will pirate) and those tv-shows aren't gonna watch themselves either. How long would I need to deny myself of these pleasures?
I mean I guess I could marathon Primeval or Being Human. I really liked those two. Especially the former.

Oh, you have trashy talk-shows too. That's just not the right material, I don't wanna sound like an uneducated person.

Now that is far more like it, the interviewer has a nice posh accent. The older dude in the blue shirt though. Is he even speaking in English?

Start watching the news lad, they always have RP accents.

Yeah the guy in the blue shirt is hard to understand, even for me, so ignore that guy and focus on the presenter. Antiques Road Show is great for posh accents though, and it's pretty interesting as a TV show too. Good luck!

You're stuck with your native accent
I bet your pronunciation is terrible

>Start watching the news lad, they always have RP accents.
did you stop watching the news in the 1980s m8

I live in the south east, they've always had RP accents here.

Where are you from m8? He just sounds like your average joe from the south. He's not hard to understand at all.

What the fuck, how

All English accents seem to be based around vowel subsitution.

youtube.com/watch?v=xj_kwIz9vcY

This is the QT we've got down here.

I'm from Cambridge bud. I can understand the guy but it definitely takes more effort when compared to the presenter, I can see why a foreigner wouldn't be able to understand a word at all.

I assume you have an American accent from watching films so if you want to change that to a Brit accent you have to pronounce the t in words rather than using a d like Americans. Then drop the r in words that en in 'er', don't use 'a' like "propa'" use"propeh'" . Also speak from your throat not your nose like Americans.

Another thing is that Americans raise their tone as if they're asking a question as they end sentences bits tend to keep their tone steady as they speak but I don't don't if I am expressing this properly.

That is about it.

Basically Brits

Can I have anothe' bit of butte'

Americans

Can I have anothur bid of buddur

The differences aren't really that big desu

You could watch some clips from British Pathe, they are from where presenters had a somewhat stronger accent, they are also very informative .

Just watch this lad

youtube.com/watch?v=fsdhOKZv0uo

NEED an Aussie gf

Pretty sure that's not RP. I speak like that and I'm from Bristol

>Speak with accent at home
>Just another fish in the stream
>Speak with accent in US
>Suddenly get laid everywhere i go

Pic very related. It was actually kind of concerning how easy it was.

write something for me to say on vocaroo so you can learn how to pronounce it

Pronounce your T's and D's properly.
An american says "preddy good"
A Brit says "Pretty good"

I've just tried to do a fairly well-off britbong with your post op, i don't know if i succeeded:

vocaroo.com/i/s1ivCA6j1cvX

youtube.com/watch?v=lhODZBaSyq8
youtube.com/watch?v=06XcdUENDbw

midlands represent

TOTTY
O
T
T
Y