/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Try googling it before asking here and remember you're not entitled to an answer, begging discourages many from helping

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Manga-Guide-Databases-Mana-Takahashi/dp/1593271905
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TFcEXMcKrwoIAECIVyBU0GPoSmRqZ7A0VBvqeKYVSww/edit#gid=0
amazon.com/Crucial-MX300-525GB-Internal-Solid/dp/B01IAGSD68/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1510942711&sr=8-2&keywords=crucial mx300 525gb sata 2.5&dpID=51YndxZLJmL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

amazon.com/gp/product/B00OBRE5UE
tampermonkey.net/faq.php#Q102
wiki.greasespot.net/Greasemonkey_Manual:Installing_Scripts
cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/AMD-Sempron 140 - SDX140HBK13GQ (SDX140HBGQBOX).html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Why does a qBittorrent configuration guide recommend to limit the number of active torrents depending on your bandwidth while rtorrent doesn't seem to care about any such limitations?

I'm running Debian on my server and it can't connect to the Internet anymore. My local network's still fine, I can still ssh into it and stuff like that. It's not a DNS issue because I can't ping IPs either

If I am using a binary which is licensed with GPLv3 via shell in my project, does that mean I would have to release my entire website as open source?

ok, the firefox quantum is out, what can i use to replace self-destructing cookies and random agent spoofer?
self destroying cookies and user agent switcher are good options?

A process ''nvcontainer" is eating up 1GB of my ram almost constantly while playing games, i guess its coming from Nvidia's shadowplay, how do i reduce the ram usage it has?

Uninstall or disable the autostart of all nvidia shit you don't need.

Is there a future in being a SQL dev/DBA?

Recently got thrown into a job where I'm always working on a SQL server and wonder if it's worth pursuing.

I have nightly and it is considered higher(alpha) build for firefox, so does my nightly have quantum features/speed ?

SQL isn't going away any time soon

and the fact that almost everyone hates dealing with it gives you an advantage if you don't mind it

can someone help me understand this python thingy

a[i, j]
so what's going on there? It's not the same as a[i][j], right? what do comma separated values do here?

yes
if you've updated it, that is.
Does the fox in the icon have a large looking tail?

bidimentional array.

I don't really like it, and it's been pretty stressful.

But right now I see as an opportunity to make more money and move up in my shitty job.

Any fix? I set up the profile with wifi-menu but doesnt work

It literally tells you what yo do

What AM4 board should i buy? does it matter? is A320M good enough?

i see two RAMs at the same price
>2133MHz CL15
>2400MHz CL17
wich one is better

Forgive me for not knowing anything about electronics.

I took apart my Galaxy S4 smartphone and weighed certain parts. The rear camera has a weight of roughly 1.65g. It got me to thinking what exactly is necessary to take a photo using that camera and what the minimum combined weight would be. The total weight of the phone is 120g. But if I were to strip everything down to the essential components, minus the display (remote access capture or something) and a severely reduced battery (to take a few pictures and no more) how low could the weight be?

Is it possible to repurpose the Galaxy S4 rear camera to take pictures on an ultra lightweight body?

how is that even a question

Take a guess.
If you guess correctly, you win 3 more guesses.

you could probably get it down to just the mainboard, camera, and a small battery
not sure if it will want to boot without a screen attached, but if it does, you could control it over wireless (set up adb-over-network and/or a vnc server)

What is this

rfid tag.

NFC card I'm pretty sure

Any recommendations on where I could freshen up on/learn SQL?

so does the 4chanx shortcut to add image md5 to the filter list not work for anybody else?

>SQL isn't going away any time soon
Different poster here. Why arent we able to retire sql? It even shows up afresh in things like spark. Is it just a good language?

Timings?

so today I purchased a 3 days trial for a VPN and I started testing it. it works perfectly fine at home but if I try to connect to the VPN when I'm in the university it says that the connection is ok and the ping doesn't fail (I tried pinging 8.8.8.8] but if I try to use the browser it says it can't find the DNS address and doesn't load the page. what is happening?

its a legitimate question
CL15 is better than CL17, but 2400 MHz is better than 2133 right?
what matters the most? CL timings or frequency?

No. You will need to release only the source of the tool and only if you modified the code of that tool. You sould mention somevhere that you use that tool and that user can get its source here and read gplv3 there.
You can also "forget" to mention anything at all and dont give a fuck.

>CL15 is better than CL17, but 2400 MHz is better than 2133 right?
Well, yes and no. You can't really compare latency between different frequencies like that, because it's measured in cycles. The real difference in latency between CL 17 2400MHz and CL 15 2133MHz is negligible.

so how do i know wich one is better

I know about and how to use the Alf's Apprentice tools to remove DRM from Amazon ebooks.

My question is: is there a way to retrieve personal documents uploaded to be available for Kindle devices?

Does amount of RAM affect overclocking ability? I just put in another 16GB of the same type, rated for 2666. I had the previous two sticks running at 3000, but the same settings wouldn't post with the new RAM.

how the fuck do I use the mutation observer? the samples on the mozilla wiki isn't working and don't know why

Windows 7 user here.

Security for 7 is going to be dropped soon, and the window for the free 10 upgrade is ending even sooner. Should I go ahead and get the upgrade despite all the bad things I hear about 10?

Should I do a clean install after backing up my stuff or should I be OK with the upgrade option?

>windows problems
solution: kys

isn't it deprecated or smtn? don't use it. change your code so it works without it

If I can write a "sum of primes below 2 million" that only takes a second to finish, am I good enough to get a job as a junior dev?

user... anyone with internet access can do that.
so yes

Firefox Quantum wont save the Sup Forums style im used to. Any tips on how to fix that?

I can't do that. I need an observer and I've been suggested by people better than me with javascript to use it since I have no event listeners available for what I want to do. also the mozilla wiki page doesn't mention anything about it being deprecated

then try the webdev thread

But whst if i can do it from memory without copying someone elses code from stack overflow?

domo

In that case, I think a good "congratulations" is in order. You've successfully memorized an algorithm that has no actual use.
Congratulations, user-sama

Bad default gateway? fucked up routes? Outside chance: system time setting that's too far from reality.

I know there's an SDC replacement out already (Cookie Autodelete or something like that, I forget the exact name) If all you want is useragent spoofing, uMatrix can do it (options->privacy), with the downside that it doesn't keep its list of UA strings up to date, you have to manage it yourself. Some of the other things RAS can spoof aren't replaceable with webexts to my knowledge, most notably the reported screen/window size. Personally my solution is sitting on 52ESR for a while longer while some of this shit gets sorted out.

well gee, I don't know, depends on what you want in a motherboard. Look at the build guides on logicalincrements if you just want some suggestions of boards to look at for various price points.

get the Manga Guide to Databases
amazon.com/Manga-Guide-Databases-Mana-Takahashi/dp/1593271905

a massive installed base means that any prospective replacement not only needs to be better, but so much better as to justify a massive switching cost. See also, Plan 9 not replacing unix-like OSes, nothing replacing C. The fact that SQL is declarative also gives the database implementation some optimization room.

I don't know but my wild guess is that the university network gives you IPv6 connectivity, the browser sees it and tries to favor it, but the VPN tunnel is v4 only. I had a vaguely similar problem once. Try seeing if you can tell your browser to not do v6 DNS queries.

Yes, as does the number of slots you fill. More load on the memory bus can impact overclockability. Set your speeds and timings to default and start over.

I went ahead and switched to Linux. But anyway W7 end-of-support isn't until January 2020.

Sorry I just want a job

Have you tried applying to one?

nice thanks user

Can you guys tell me what you think of the build quality of dells?

Is there any difference between putting a food/drink in an insulated container, or constantly heating it at exactly the same temperature it's currently at to keep it at that temperature? My gut tells me that there is none, though I got curious since I saw someone warning people off those smart mugs saying they will scorch your coffee.

I'm worried that I'm not going to be good enough because I have no idea how skilled junior devs are supposed to be.
Also I have no experience outside of self teaching.

When I try to play games with my browser open on my other monitor, everything besides the game freezes. Doesn't matter how intensive the game is to run, but force closing my browser and starting it back up again will let me browse and play normally again.
Is 8gb of ram not enough? or is this a problem with firefox/chrome trying to use more memory than they need or something?

>Security for 7 is going to be dropped soon
And that's not worrying if you only install a selection of good updates. The future updates perhaps will only serve to crash more than fix and include more telemetry and botnet. Remember that Microsoft once was forcing people to use Windows 10 through the updates provided by Windows Update.
Install only the recommended updates, then silence Windows Update forever. How? Research, bro.

>and the window for the free 10 upgrade is ending even sooner.
Don't fall for it. The "offer" is just a bait, because it will always be free.

>Should I go ahead and get the upgrade despite all the bad things I hear about 10?
No. 7's support will end on 2020, so you still have a big time to enjoy the last good or second to last OS of Microsoft. 10 is worse than Vista to make you have an idea.

>Should I do a clean install after backing up my stuff or should I be OK with the upgrade option?
ALWAYS go for a clean install. Upgrading directly has chances of corrupting files, the OS itself and bring even more bloat. Clean installing prevents all of this.

The one with higher clock speed. Timings make such a miniscule difference that caring about them is irrelevant now

HOLY FUCKING SHIT FIREFOX QUANTUM JUST DESTROYED SPEED DIAL WHAT THE HELL DO I DO?

Install gentoo

Extremely imbecillic question:
Firefox has, as of now, a bug where it can't install userscripts from github, 4chanX is on github.
Any step-by-step-for-utter-retard-manbaby workarounds to install it?

Servers? Workstations? Laptops? Switches?
Work is mostly a Dell house so had to work with them more than other brands.

Laptops are fairly reliable though overpriced of course. An XPS definetly doesn't survive a mug of tea poured over it and unless you forked out for accidental damage then your Shit out Luck.
Precisions though, at least the chunky models are tanks and have lasted for years with only dents and a lower battery life to show for it.

Not used desktops.

Switches have been reliable (N2000s) but not done anything fancy with them.

Servers are good, certainly less noisy than HP and less prone to drive bays failing.
Support is also much better: call up, list service tag, get engineer on site within 4/24hours (depends on warranty type), engineer can replace aprt for you and test or leave it with you.

OMSA on servers is great for seeing full spec and status of the components without opening it up, it's only flaw is no inbuilt email alerts for component failures.

Would stay away from Latitudes and Vostros, never heard good things from them

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TFcEXMcKrwoIAECIVyBU0GPoSmRqZ7A0VBvqeKYVSww/edit#gid=0

Is it a good SSD? The price is very cheap:
amazon.com/Crucial-MX300-525GB-Internal-Solid/dp/B01IAGSD68/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1510942711&sr=8-2&keywords=crucial mx300 525gb sata 2.5&dpID=51YndxZLJmL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

I'm having problem with this regex, the first bracket is to capture anything (to capture a link even when you copied something else with it) and the remaining is to capture "". But when the first bracket (capture anything) is there the group1 capture goes straight to "www." how do i fix it? pic related
>Regex
(?:.*)((?:https?:\/\/)?(?:(?:(?:www\.))))
>Matching test

helloworld

Try manually copying the userscript direct link and importing in tampermonkey/greasymonkey.

Yeah, i hated that too, but the replacement works exactly the same (and better) but it's a boring job to import everything.

Thankfully the speed dial backups makes it easy to replicate the setup. I think I'll be fine.

Crucials are a decent 2nd choice but when you have a Samsung going for the same price then its stupid not to go for the EVO
amazon.com/gp/product/B00OBRE5UE

Am I an idiot for spending $80 on a smart mug?

Honestly the idea just sounded cool to me and I drink like 13 cups of coffee a day so seemed like it might be nice. Wasn't willing to spend $150 for the earlier iteration those guys did but the $80 seemed more reasonable.

Nvm, Group Speed Dial just crashes. I'm fucked.

You have to copy one link by one. It's true hell.

What about the latest inspirons?

I must output the data from a table in a PDF document, the problem is that the said data is stored like "x, y, z" with the following letters being given in random order, and amount, from checkboxes.
There's a single column/field storing this data, but i can't make the logic part of filtering that said data to show only the ones selected by the ID... Lets say that the user selected, from the options w/x/y/z, 'x' and 'z'; this data will be stores as 'x, z' but how is the logic done when i will output it? I'll store the select result in a string array trim it to strip white spaces and ','... but how so?

>when i output it
Fix.

>Try manually copying the userscript direct link and importing in tampermonkey/greasymonkey.
Explain, i'm a retard

Addendum, i tried disabling security.csp.enable and it says "script installed", yet when i hover over GreaseMonkey's icon on Firefox it says "no script installed"

I'm trying to install arch Linux but I'm having trouble connecting to the internet. I'm using a usb WiFi adapter that apparently needs external drivers to work. I found the drivErs but don't know how you would install them on the boot usb so I can download the base packages. Is they any way around this?

will installing WIn10 64bit on a 32bit machine, then taking off the HDD and putting it on an actual 64 bit machine fuck things up too badly if I adjust all drivers afterwards?

I did so yesterday because I couldn't figure out why my new PC couldn't install Windows, and then finding out it was due to a faulty RAM stick

I'm unsure if I should even bother reinstalling it now, or keeping it as it is since it seems to work well but I can't speak for the future

tampermonkey.net/faq.php#Q102
wiki.greasespot.net/Greasemonkey_Manual:Installing_Scripts
try tampermonkey

I don't think you can install Win10 64 bit on a 32 bit machine

Why does YT keep "recommending" garbage popular videos in my notifications? I want that reserved for important stuff. How do I stop it from putting recommendations in there?

Oddly enough, I have two accounts I use frequently, and only one of them does this.

you can, actually
it's not optimal, runs like shit, but possible

We've had a couple of the previous gen inspirons laptops (the 13" fold over touchscreen ones)
Not heard any complaints from the couple of users that have them aside from one who had a 7000 that had an all-but-useless stylus

If you have Ryzen go with CL15.

>Am I an idiot for spending $80 on a smart mug?
Absolutely,especially for that price tag.

> I drink like 13 cups of coffee a day
Med fag here.
Enjoy the sweet unbearable pain from your kidneys in the upcoming years.

No it flat out doesn't let you. How are you determining that your PC is 32-bit?
Unless you are running an early Pentium 4 or older then it's highly unlikely your desktop/laptop is 32-bit

Nada, it simply won't fucking work

AMD Sempron 140
old as shit mobo, Zotac g41 I believe
2gigs RAM

cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/AMD-Sempron 140 - SDX140HBK13GQ (SDX140HBGQBOX).html
It's 64-bit.

Nevermind i'm a fucking retard.
OF COURSE it says "no script running" if i'm NOT ON FUCKING Sup Forums

God dammit user

But how's that any worse than spending $80 on a shirt I might wear one time and then throw out?

OKay, yeah. Looking for a new machine to replace my shitty old HP, and would like something with decent power (1060) to be able to work well on some graphics design and rendering as well as gaming with friends. Most things targeted around or even slightly advertised for "gaming" are super gay though. The 7000 series, 7577 for instance ooks really nice and suitable with a reasonable and professional appearance. Assuming the build quality is good I would be interested in getting one. Any criticism or suggestions? Ive had bad experiences with HP build quality and especially hinges.

Prebuilts are always terrible value, especially if you're planning to use them for gaming.

what's currently the best android ad-blocker?

on my rooted tablet, i have:
>adaway from f-droid (blocks ad hosts)
>minminguard for xposed framework (blocks ads in apps?)
>ublock origin for firefox

Best Skype alternative? I tried Signal, but it doesn't let you do calls on the desktop client, so that's not good enough.
It doesn't even have to be as "secure" as Signal. I just want something that doesn't literally share my contacts with my other contacts against my permission.

Well I need a machine I can move around frequently, so it has to be a laptop. That's just what fits my lifestyle.

The 7577 is a laptop, he is looking for a gaming laptop that won't fall apart the moment you look at it.

The Dell stuff at least doesn't look gawdy as fuck so it has that plus point. I'm afraid I can't offer firsthand experience of them though

why is firefox eating my memory?

as soon as i open the browser, literally just sat on google, my memory usage goes through the roof

ive launched in safe mode with no extensions etc, ive tried 'refreshing' firefox, nothing works

what's the best Firefox adblock?