The absolute state of Android in 2017. Still a complete fucking mess. New phones coming out WITHOUT the latest version

The absolute state of Android in 2017. Still a complete fucking mess. New phones coming out WITHOUT the latest version.

This is why people still prefer the iPhone.

Other urls found in this thread:

arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/09/android-8-0-oreo-thoroughly-reviewed/2/#h1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>This is why people still prefer the iPhone.
Basically, until Android phones get updates directly from Google they will always be seen as inferior to the iPhone.

My phone runs Oreo

>My phone runs Oreo
Pixel?

Xperia XZ1 compact. Paid less than $500 for it and I really don't care about smart phones that much to justify spending $700-1000 on a device.

>New phones coming out WITHOUT the latest version.

You're talking like this is a new thing, or a problem for that matter.

this. oreo is fucking nothing.

I really hope project treble is successful
It supposedly allows all phones to run a clean version of AOSP
Cross your fingers

Yeah Google fucked up pretty hard and it doesn't look like they're going to fix anything anytime soon. Oh well, they clearly don't care about their lusers as long as they keep buying new batteries for their Google Play Services powered personal mining devices.

>android users are so used to getting the shaft that they go full Stockholm Syndrome mode and start mocking updates.

Samsung IS Android at this point and they clearly don't prioritize OS updates on their products so why should anyone else care.

Ok then. Why do you need only the latest software versions at any given time?

I own a Galaxy S8 (work) and a Pixel 2, Oreo is fucking nothing. It's way better than iOS where you have to accept the iOS updates in order for other apps to continue updating and the bluetooth breaks in every other release. And before you say
>muh anti apple android fag
I owned an iPhone from 2012-2017 (iPhone 4S->5S->6) and I STILL own an iPad Air, I know what it's like on the other side of the fence. Particularly with Apple using the OS updates to deliberately fuck old devices since they don't put enough RAM in them.

>This is why people still prefer the iPhone.
imagine being this delusional

I'm getting the standard XZ1 in a few days. My first Sony, don't know what to expect.

This. I only updated mine to nougat a couple months ago, when I was sure everything still worked. Previous one I had broke the wifi when I updated to lollipop, 5 minutes rolling back to kitkat and it was rocking again.
Fun fact is I gave that one to my father when I upgraded, it's now 3 years old, running kk and still performing like a champ, but my sister wants him to buy a new one because "that one is old".

>mfw got a 5s a year ago and it's still getting updates
The phone is 4 YEARS OLD

How can I go back to Android without losing self-respect?

Will probably just get an SE when 5s dies

why would you willingly run outdated software with unpatched vulnerabilities? Are you retarded?

My phones runs Android 2.3 or 2.2 or something 2. You're a tool for even spending $500 on a CIA tracker in the first place.

>don't know what to expect
Huge bezels and small 5'2 screen.
Other than that, a pretty good device with some Sony bloat, but minimal.

>android 2
Esl please leave

This has been a long time issue for android, no company is obliged to ship their phones with the latest version of the OS, still, they should. I'm not saying I aprove this kind of business strategy, I truly despise it, so I don't encourage it and only buy phones from companies who ship them with the latest version

Do you, if you use windows at all, always use the latest version with all the updates? Updated to windows 8, 8.1, 10 day one? Probably not, and most people don't.

Just like with windows, android updates no longer add much of value. I have updates avalible for my phone but why the hell would I...?

>New phones coming out WITHOUT the latest version.
this is not news.

Exactly. They prefer it because the OS is superior overall; the version really has little to do with it. Just like when the army changed their field-deployable missile control units from Android to iOS because Android would freeze too much.

Having the bleeding edge Firmware is not always a good thing. For example my tablet is still on marshmallow because nougat and beyond lags on it.

they released project treble with Android Oreo which fixes this problem partially.
it's a until manufacturers start to implement it

>not unlocking, rooting, flashing roms on your own
>relying on the phone manufacturer and not yourself

LOOK AT THIS DOOD

You mean finally software is out pacing hardware in advancement? We knew it was coming but how is apple this far behind the curve?

> with unpatched vulnerabilities
It's not because I use a maintained rom with security patches.
I didn't update in a year because idgaf but that's another story.

don't mind the design - actually, I like it. And it has a pretty fluid, snappy UI in comparison to fucking samsung phones.

>has to go through this much effort just to do what iPhone can do out of the box

A mostly unmodified Android experience with decent hardware. Most phones are going the AMOLED route while Sony is still using IPS. Sony also needs to work on their cameras. The actual camera hardware is fine but they are not very good at utilizing that hardware with their ISP and software.

get out pajeet

>They prefer it because the OS is superior overall
(You)

I don't know user, I'm posting from an outdated, vulnerable phone and it's still kicking fine.

What can iPhone do that a rooted Android device can as well? Let's hear it.

>plug phone in
>launch flash program
>get ROM loaded
>click "flash"
>you now have the newest update
oh man that sure was hard

Literally anything that’s actually important. I can ssh/ftp, use a photoshop equivalent, torrent, etc. all from my iPad Pro.

>get out pajeet
Great argument. Also, the process of rooting a phone and flashing a custom ROM has been simplified over the years. It's become harder to brick your device or outright impossible in some instances. The real geniuses are the developers who've made it simple to the point of following basic institutions.

go read the new "features" in oreo. its just a bunch of cuck shit cause they didnt have anything better to release.

t. mart sharter

>torrent
(You)

>b-but software updates don’t add anything good
back in like 2014, I bought my first smartphone. a droid turbo. it was supposed to be some OG flagship shit and it was pretty good. Then a new version of android came out. i don’t remember which version it was but it was the one that introduced the ART ahead of time compilation shit that made android not slow as fuck due to byte code BS
I think i waited like 9 months to get that update after everyone else had it already, because motorola wanted to make sure all of its bloatware was working properly
didn’t matter at that point because i went out, threw down like $800 and bought a 6s+ which has been an infinitesimally better mobile experience

What os are you running in your pc? Just curious?

Not all android phones allow you to do this so try again, pajeet.
Sorry but I’d rather get official, consistent updates instead of leaving my phone in the hands of xda pajeets

arch + centos

it’s not a joke though, you do realize that Sup Forums is 18+ right?

>only this, everything else doesn't count

Your next line will be "I was only pretending to be retarded"

>Not all android phones allow you to do this so try again, pajeet.
not all iPhones allow you to have the latest updates either
also repeating "pajeet" isn't an argument

>Not all android phones allow you to do this so try again, pajeet.
Researching which phones have good custom ROM support is even easier than flashing a ROM. I suppose you aren't even capable of doing that. And yet you're claiming superiority of something on a technology board. I'm not going to bother responding to "pajeet". It's not an argument either.

I put Oreo on my redmi note 4 and its fucking garbage
Dumbed down for normies

Congratulations on being from a third world country but to post on Sup Forums you really should work on your reading comprehension in English
Can you even list anything that you can do on android that can’t be done on iOS that isn’t a meme/useless/for children?

I'm hoping project treble and Android One are the beginning of the solution, but keep knowing Google they will find a way to fuck it up and 5 years from now it will be the same shit, normies walk into Best Goy and buy a "new" buget phone that's already 3 years old, running a 6 year old OS that never got a single update and then think Android is nothing but a flaming pile of shit.

shouting "underage" isn't an argument

To be fair, the Oneplus 5t is supposed to be more like an updated version of the Oneplus 5, and less like a new phone.

The codebase for security patches and the OS are separate so your argument is invalid. You can run any Android version >5 and still be up to date.

>researching a phones third party support just to get consistent updates
Pajeet life is sad

The iPhone 5s is almost 5 years old and is still getting software updates. Can you show me an android phone from 2013 getting official carrier updates?

Just like how (you) isn’t an argument, dumbass redditor

Especially considering not all of the ROM developers are Indian. Cyanogenmod was started by a white guy for fuck's sake, and I'm pretty sure many of the maintainers of Lineage (at least for supported ROMs) are white guys as well.

shouting "redditor" isn't an argument either

>researching a phones third party support just to get consistent updates
Why shouldn't I when there's an option to receive consistent updates that way? It takes minutes.

I get it, you’re in high school and you don’t have a job so you have a lot of time to play with your tracphone but Sup Forums.org is for adults

Sorry but if you’re incapable of discussing what I’ve written then you are actually underage. Please stop posting until you’re emotionally mature enough to handle an online discussion

>that isn’t a meme/useless/for children?

Fucking shit I thought had that one
>you can only reply to this under my specific stipulations and set of circunstances that I control hehe I knew you couldn't I win
image on the phone to reply, but I only have it at home. Someone hook me up.

>Sorry but if you’re incapable of discussing what I’ve written then you are actually underage.
please explain to me what is there to discuss from this

And you, as the educated adult are incapable of using Google to determine if a phone you intend to buy has a good custom ROM support. I hope you're proud of that and repeating meaningless buzzwords like underage, redditor and pajeet instead of actual arguments.

the iPhone 5s is 4 years old and stopped getting software updates since iOS 10. What the fuck are you talking about.

>i can't be bothered to look up a list of phones receiving Lineage/custom ROM support
(You)

pic related, I know using google is hard when it’s blocked in whatever shithole you’re from

Sorry but I want my phone to actually work and not leave updates in the hands of shitskins

Esl please leave

I don't want direct updates from Google. I feel much better running LineageOS without gapps and getting latest or near-latest Android on any somewhat popular phone, long past it's supported. Just give me unlocked bootloaders and then the community can handle it.

New argument everyone - shitskin.

reminder that Lineage was literally based off of a white man's project

You're not thinking of it the right way. Let's put aside that what you said is stupid and misinformed. The iPhone _will_ lose support eventually. Phones that get custom ROM support do not lose support. You can still get a very recent Android on the Galaxy S3, probably even the Galaxy S1.

The 5S is running iOS 11 you fucking retard.

are you really from a 3rd world country? do you seriously keep a phone longer than 5 years? No wonder android support is a shitstorm

@63417171
>thank you master

I'm in the USA. Using a OnePlus 3 right now. I am planning to stop upgrading until a decent phone with a keyboard comes out, though. The Gemini was tempting, but I didn't have cash at the time. Maybe it's not too late, but I still don't have the cash.

>meme chink phone
this is just getting sad

Treble certification seems to be kicking OEMs in the ass, Oreo devices with Google certification, require Treble. Treble is only going to be a good thing for custom ROMs as you can build ASOP directly on the device with no extra work

>"muh 5 yr old phone has updates"
>my 6 yr old android phone gets updates too
>"WHO KEEPS A PHONE LONGER THAN 5 YEARS?!"

Source on that?

not an argument

Uh, okay. I went from the Galaxy S1 to the S3, then the OnePlus One, then I used that until a year or two ago and I accidentally dropped it in some water. I got a friend to give me his OnePlus 2, then that friend got the OnePlus 5 and gave me his OnePlus 3. Both the phones from him came with partially cracked screens, so it does bother me a bit. I never cracked the screen on the phones I owned myself. I either stopped using them when I upgraded and gave them to someone else, or in the case of the OnePlus One, water damage.

The point is nobody keeps a phone for very long so what’s the point in wasting time looking for unofficial support for a phone when you can just get official updates without any extra hassle desu
Face it, android software support is shit and having to use third party support just for something as simple as updates is sad and trashy

Post S3-Samsung sucks, by the way. They stopped releasing info about their hardware. That's why the S3 is the newest phone to have Replicant support. Imagine if those yellow jews had stayed free and we could all have modern phones that respect our freedom.

You're putting way too much value in "official" support. Do you use Windows as well? The community unironically does a better job and takes care of you better.

>hand me down phones
high school please leave

>what's the point of receiving free updates when you can just buy a new phone
(You)

My phone runs Oreo too.

>tfw it's a Galaxy S4

>implying you stop having friends or family after high school

>windows
I don’t play video games so why would I use windows, sorry but if you use windows you’re retarded

not an argument

You obsessing over official support is why I'm accusing you of using Windows. I use Void GNU/Linux.

Phones aren’t toys so why would I want to waste even a minute of my time looking for updates when I can just get it from my settings the day the update comes out

arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/09/android-8-0-oreo-thoroughly-reviewed/2/#h1

New devices with oreo need to be able to build ASOP to pass googles testing

>Phones aren’t toys
wow nice argument, sure got him

I'd say spending money on a new phone doesn't qualify as something "without any extra hustle".

Nice reading comprehension esl

Its a good phone. Battery life is pretty good, and build quality is solid. All the controls are on the right hand side, so you don't give a shit about the bezels during normal use, though the camera button isn't as good with a case on it. I like the battery care/system monitoring out of the box. And the super slow mo is a fun gimmick.

>And the super slow mo is a fun gimmick.
It's a shame the recording length is so limited. I've used it when shooting, popping balloons and throwing treats to my dog and it's hard to time.

>now it's esl

20€ says his next insult is
>only snowflakes root phones