I do

Explain why you're a fag who uses transparent terminals

come to #cloveros senpai

I like gnome

because it sucks

/thread

post your panel

bspwm

Used it for a reasonably long time, then I went back to KDE slowly.

/thread

becuase i use cinnamon

manual tiling sucks

I use dwm.

It doesn't give me an erection.

>using gentoo
braindead fuckwit detected. source based distros ARE NOT FUCKING MADE TO BE USED AS DESKTOP DISTROS. for a moderate speed boost you have to wait for 3 hours to have fucking firefox installed

>i3wm
ugly and it's more geared towards normies trying to look cool and hacker-ish

>Laptop

EVERY FUCKING TIME

It takes like 20 minutes max for FF

for older hardware it's shit

and 20 minutes is a fucking joke

>8-space tabs
why.

There are better tiling wms. Plus on my giant 4k screen it would be retarded to use tiling. I'd sooner opt for a normal dwm because my hardware isn't complete ass.

>muh kernel style

Kernel style belongs in the kernel.

You dont do it very often, and it's not like your entire computer is rendered useless while you are compiling something. Stop being poor.

Wayland made xorg obsolete

Gnome works fine. I have a 4k display and I doubt i3wm scales for it in a sensible manner. I also dock my laptop via displayport to 3 standard dpi displays.

Oh boy, here we go.

>run a distcc cluster
>designate a binserv with slot options or multiple binservs with different flag/targets
>compile once for n machines
>pull binaries from the binserv for your older hardware

Sorted.

I use Tmux and Xfce because I don't want to spend 5 hours configuring i3.
Also, your ASCII gentoo logo is very gay and lame.

Post your desktop

I've never used a 4k, but I can't think of any reason why i3 would have a problem with it. Explain yourself.

Because I use i3gaps

I've been using Cinnamon as well, that DE is really comfy.

Could you redpill me on the advantages of bspwm over i3? I've always been curious about using it but I never found the motivation of installing it, since they seem like the seem to me.

because i use gaps

Because sway exists and can read i3 configuration files

I used it for a while but I got tired of it fucking with VirtualBox and games and various child dialog sizes.

bspwm is better

yes

>5 hours configuring
It takes like 30 minutes tops, if you know what you're doing. And if you don't know what you're doing, it's the same for any tool or software, which takes time

That's the kind of autism I admire

b-but I do...

Like, in the future?
When will xorg be obsolete?
When will I get to use Wayland?

You can install and use it right now. I've been running gnome 3 and the sway window manager and they both work flawlessly. Ubuntu 17.10 and the recent versions of Fedora ship with wayland by default if you would like it working out of the box.

There are 3 major issues I'm aware of:
- Some decent DEs don't implement it just yet, like the XFCE window manager. If you're DE of choice doesn't work this is a deal breaker.
- Propriety nvidia drivers are supposedly troublesome with it. Again, if you have an nvidia card and want decent 3D performance this is a deal breaker.
- When running X windows on wayland, sometimes the input can behave a little strangely; ie sometimes it treats one long sustained key press as multiple key presses. I'm not sure if this is just the wayland implementation in gnome or a problem in the wayland protocol itself.

For these reasons Xorg is a long way from being deprecated but it's looking like it will happen eventually, especially now that Ubuntu has adopted it.

i do, but i would never recommend it to a beginner, it's hellish to learn. Only reason I was able to configure mine was reading others' shit over the years.

because bspwm actually works the way any reasonable person would expect it to, unlike i3wm

Because awesomeWM is obviously the superior option

>over the years
>it seriously took you that long to learn this shit

FPBP
i3 is for underage weeb teens. bspwm is better in every way.
However, tiling WMs are shit for anything other than terminals.

mouse support is shit
this

Not cool enough yet.

Op's pic:
>only has ricer .conf files, screenfetch, and Gentoo IRC open
>probably spends 2 hours tweaking the optimal configuration that doesn't even look good
>GUI apps break and bounce around because i3's floating mode is a joke.
Just use Openbox. Tiling WM is the worse meme and you retards fell for it. Openbox can do tilling too, it's called window snapping, it's called tmux.

If you aren't using an FVWM-derived WM, you are a complete retard. i3 is shit, dwm is shit, bspwm is good, awesome is shit.

Is sway actually stable enough for daily (heavy) usage? I might install Fedora 27 and give it a shot if it is.

I prefer to use all suckless software (dwm, dmenu, st, etc.)

>Tiling WM is the worse meme and you retards fell for it
>bspwm is good
Make up your mind

I do and its great
>hrrdrr its a meme
While that may be the case, it just werks™. One setup of a config file and its able to be synced across both my desktops and laptops without any problems. Setup is really easy, and I generally just don't need to do anything more complicated than hotkey programs or set their default workspace to open on. Anything more complicated than that I don't really have a use for.
I don't care about ricing either and GAPS seems to complete ignore the main purpose of WMs, which is to maximize used screenspace.
You might say that this is true for the alternatives, but I haven't tried them

wayland

Awesome is better

why don't i3 gap fags switch to bspwm
>muh small footprint
>muh flexibility
>muh unix philosophy

btw after one year with bspwm I switch back to i3 because I don't need useless gap for muh ricing anymore and prefer the layout of i3

ITT: people who pretending to use bspwm

daily remind that if you dont understand bspwm your retarded

whom*

I use Xmonad, it just works! :^)
Also it's made in glorious Haskell

i3 > bspwm
proof
>open three(3) equally spaced, horizontally aligned terminal in i3
>just open three terminal

>same but in bspwm
>open terminal
>presel east
>open another terminal
>focus parent
>presel east
>finally open the last terminal

For those of us who don't want to change wm to test out your post, what is the expected result?

>mouse support is shit
Using titling window manager and cares about mouse. Wew lad..

weston

>I don't like choice
lmaoing at ur lyfe

the superior DWM exists

fix your font

awesome is better

nah i3 in tabbed mode is better

xfce just werks

I don't need anything more than a tty