What would you choose?

What would you choose?

Other urls found in this thread:

system76.com/pop
without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
levien.com/free/decommoditizing.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

fedora because it's the closest to opensuse (RPM package manager)

I tried Fedora but didn't really like how slow RPM is, and Gnome is super bloated and resource intensive.

Arch Linux

templeOS

openbsd

Mac OS X

It's only slow because it combines the "repo update" operation in. Apt is just as slow if you combine apt-get update before an apt-get install.

Windows 10

All good choices, but what if you had to pick only from the original four options?

debian, if I'm not installing gentoo I'm installing debian to run templeOS

Go with Debian or Fedora. Your choice, and if you can't decide, flip a coin.

I'd pick Fedora. I honestly don't mind using 3rd party stuff, as long as it's libre.

Debian + openbox/sway/i3

Debian everything every time

Debian obviously

at this moment im using manjaro, pretty good for me, when i can i will try to install arch, but probably it will end breaking my windows installation.
but from that list, probably debian

Linux mint.
>Easy to use
>Stable
>Just work
>No amazon.

Good idea too, thanks!

>muh font rendering!
Who the fuck cares?
>muh relase schedule!
How hard is it to update packages every couple of weeks and then upgrade to the next OS version twice a year?

I have Fedora on my laptop and it's awful. If I distro-hop again, I'll choose either Debian, Arch or Gentoo. Fedora is much, much worse than either Mageia or CentOS. Ubuntu is babby-tier, and I've never even heard of that fourth one in the image.

Gentoo. But if I have to choose one in the picture I would do Debian and replace systemd with OpenRC.

>>muh font rendering!
>Who the fuck cares?

I do. I'm probably on the computer for at least 14 or 15 hours a day. Blurry fonts make it hard for me to get work done. I used to use Bitmap fonts for everything but for some reason people like adding Xft support in everywhere, even WindowMaker and i3 use it now. Can't escape it.

>>muh relase schedule!
>How hard is it to update packages every couple of weeks and then upgrade to the next OS version twice a year?
Package updates are fine, but a distro update is another story. It's not as simple as a set of package updates and a reboot and you know it.

muh black homes

>It's not as simple as a set of package updates and a reboot
Shut up, retard.

Pop!_OS just came out from System76 in response to Canonical ditching Unity. System76 realized they needed to be responsible for their own branding and thus Pop!_OS was born. Really nice theming too. system76.com/pop I don't work for them and I think their laptops are ugly and overpriced, but the polish they put into that distro is nice!

install source mage

Fedora, and then install packages from third party repos to fix the flaws or edit fontconfig yourself it's not fucking hard

apt/itude+dpkg is fucking garbage

I'm also fine with arch because pacman is dumb, but it's honest about being dumb instead of trying to be smart like debshit, and the rest of the distro is basically pulled straight from fedora.

pacman -S gnome done

You're the one lacking information here.

>Debian
>Just works
What are drivers

t. poop OS dev

non free :^)

don't support capitalist hardware, comrade :^)

>Fedora, and then install packages from third party repos to fix the flaws or edit fontconfig yourself it's not fucking hard

No it's not. My complaint is that it's broken by default after a new install. Not that hard to build a proper freetype package. They can't stil be worried about expired patents can they?

Debian, even though people tell me it's not bleeding edge.

I gave Fedora a try but after removing the bloat/spyware nothing worked properly. Any good guides on how to uninstall systemd from Fedora 27?

What spyware? I don't think you can uninstall Systemd, maybe if you create your own spin or custom kickstart file?

How often are you installing your operating system?

Yeah, install BSD you fucking luddite. Systemd should be the least of your concerns when the kernel is bloat, everything is GNU/bloat, and freedesktop.org bloat is everywhere besides the init system already.

The font rendering on fedora is just fine imo

using it since fedora 21

Fedora upgrading is now painless, at least from 25 to 26 it was like that.

But Debian is just the right choice.

Work laptops: rarely.
Personal computers: more often than I'm happy admitting.

this

dnf just works

Font rendering in Fedora was fine, but broke in 25 and still hasn't been fixed in 27. You have to install the RPMfusion repo and then install freetype-freeworld to get your configuration options working.

there's this guide, but I don't think it includes Fedora

without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Complaints against systemd aren't really about 'bloat' but about coupling. Systemd wants every component in system to depend on it because the kernel lacks a useful IPC mechanism. As a result, systemd becomes the irreplaceable failure point of the system. Even kernel can be replaced if apps stick to POSIX standard.

It's hard to blame systemd for doing the best with what's available to it though. Kernel needs a good IPC and DBus should die a miserable death.

Agreed -- systemd has a lot of nice features (aka new stuff that people have to learn and instead just say "it sucks" and "bloat!!")

Still, I'd rather my PID 1 be kubelet... :-D

>PID 1
socketlet

We don't really use multiple *nixes anymore. POSIX holds software back

Standards committees in general hold shit back

>hey, this calendar program from 1971 needs to be able to compile
>so let's have locales other than UTF-8

Any of the first 3 are solid, there's no way to go wrong with any of them so in the end depends on what you want to do with it.
Since you didn't specify I guess we can use the average youtube and facebook machine user case so Ubuntu is a no brainer here.

install korora instead, its fedora without bloat and if im correct no systemmd it has a regular terminial

Fedora. I don't mind the repo updates, and with RPMfusion there's little to no problems with anything.

ubuntu

heretical.

ubuntu for the "just werks" experience and easy troubleshooting

Nah, Linus has the right idea in that "the kernel doesn't break user space". It's the one rule he won't break and is one of the reasons for Linux's success.
POSIX only holds back software if you say "only target POSIX and nothing else". There's nothing wrong with developing new standards on top of it, provided you don't change the standard in a breaking way after publishing it.
Unfortunately there's no such standard for what systemd does because it is intended to decommoditize standards in favor of Red Hat being able to assert their control over the ecosystem.

levien.com/free/decommoditizing.html

Fedora because I actually use Fedora and there is no distro but Fedora.

>older packages
>con
Every laptop I have runs Debian, while every desktop I have runs Ubuntu. Everything is pretty much the same config wise across all of them so setup is practically a breeze.

Ubuntu. I prefer to have support for the computers that I use. I'm not techie. Why should I learn how to code just because I want to be able to read things on the internet and play video games?

FUCK THAT UKRAINIAN FEMANON, FUCK HERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR SHE TALKED SHIT ABOUT DEBIAN. STUPID CUNT USES UBANGOOO. I just hope her cat gets run over by a car one day :3

Install Gentoo. Failing that, Debian is probably the least bad out of those four choices.

Listen. It's either Debian or Gentoo. Every single fucking distro out there is fucking shit.