I don't understand

I don't understand

I want to try openbsd. How different is it from linux?

How do I even install openbsd?

What does openbsd have over Linux distributions

bump

bsd is a shitty loser version of linux you pretend to use when linux is too mainstream. the person who "recommended" it to you doesn't use it either.

>how do I install bsd
You don't, they have this thing called a "hardware list" which is a loser way of trying to keep you out, sometimes it doesn't even work in a VM, this is to keep the secret club numbers down by making you find some shitty 90s laptop

>what does bsd have over linux
It only has 1% of the drivers and software but bsd turds insist this is the proper way, this also applies for things like web browsers and media players as they believe those things are just passing fads. Again this is to keep you out should you manage to install it.

use Google, all of those questions are answered on the bsd home page or Wikipedia

So I guess it won't work on my 2008 macbook?

> I don't understand
Me neither
> I want to try openbsd. How different is it from linux?
Once it's running, it's a unix system with a graphical interface with programs that run on it. Not much.

> How do I even install openbsd?
ISO.
> What does openbsd have over Linux distributions
Nothing. I guess it's a more stable (in the sense of changing less) installation. Boot is slow, at least it was when I tried. Fewer hardware support. I don't see a reason to use it desktop.

>openBSD shills cant awnser these questions because they know bsd has less than linux.

OpenBsd is more obscure than most obscure linux distro. So only radical hipsters are interested in it

Your MacBook already came with an operating system based on BSD though.

Should I use it over slackware?

All I know is:

Security

On openbsd

Is it that much better

gnu+midwit

Considering both of them are shitty anti-alternatives a better question is how or in what manner you want to jack off. Linux is succeeding now so ubuntu users will still come up to you and say oh cool you use linux too!

The bullshit here is:

Security

doesn't count

When you're just fucking deleting everything in the os

putting openbsd or linux on a laptop is like putting a fucking spoiler on your ford fiesta
dont be a fucking idiot

>how dare you use things I don't like!!!!!!

He's just here to make sure you don't even try so their club isn't ruined before you even get the chance. This entire OS is a shitty hipster game, nobody uses this garbage they just go into linux threads to offhandedly mention they use it and how better they are that they've never made any money and never will

>being botnet

I use Linux on my laptop and have done so for 6 years now and I've had no issues with it. What does ones income have to do with this conversation?

>actually doing something with your life

no bsd shit has ever made money, or any thing for that matter, if you "use" bsd you are just a hipster first who found tech second. it's basically the beginnings of a suicide note

>its about money

No
its about whats the best operating system if you want SECURITY, LIBRE, FREEDOM.PRIVACY

How did BSD get out played by Linux? It came out a decade earlier and BSD invented the TCP/IP model.

>How different is it from linux?
If you're a casual, nothing much. Some things like disk formatting is a bit weird if you don't know how *BSD does things.
>How install OpenBSD?
Burn it onto a bootable medium and run it. I recommend getting drivers/ports on a separate USB as well and to just use the defaults.
>What does openbsd have over Linux distributions
For a casual? Nothing. It's very stable, sane, and secure if you have mission critical stuff. I use it on my ThinkPad, but it's easily extensible like Linux i.e package management can get fucky and some things I've had to compile from source.

I use systemcucked Arch on my other laptop and I think it's more streamlined. OpenBSD will run on most older machines flawlessly.

GPL appeals way more to developers than BSD license.

not as easily extensible*

You'll find yourself compiling from source a lot if you have a lot of different things you use. But that sort of defeats the purpose of it.

they had to go to court

linus himself admitted that linux wouldn't even exist if BSD wasn't encumbered at the time he was experimenting with his 386

linux has this nobody cares about your made up hippie pseudo reasons

bsd turds from the start have always been shitty smelly contrarians who don't give a fuck about technology and just want to "stop the normies"

This entire post from the start is insulting you by calling you a casual and then "suggesting" you take a stupid way to "install" it (he wants you to fail) by saying you should put drivers on another drive. Why would you ever do this.

>casual
There's that word again. This isn't technology it's a pretend secret loser club.

daily reminder you've been doing this for years now

I guess I'll go with slackware guys thanks

Now to find a really minimal light weight tiler de