Do people live on boats in the Netherlands? I read a children's book that said they did because the rent was so high

Do people live on boats in the Netherlands? I read a children's book that said they did because the rent was so high.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vliet_(canal)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

yea but im not sure if its for that reason

yeah it's pretty comfy i know a friend that lives on one, it's not because the rent is high though

Why would anyone live on a boat if it's not for rents.

you can drag it anywhere

Not really. You have to find a marina/dock, and some way to connect it to water/electricity. your mobility will be determined by your job/university and if you want to go away for a bit, you are much better off traveling like a normal person.

>your mobility will be determined by your job/university and if you want to go away for a bit, you are much better off traveling like a normal person.
You seriously overestimate the size of this country

It's more about being able to move towns every year, not like taking your house-boat on a weekend trip.

Also is it true that Dutch houses don't have curtains.

it's not, the house in the OP has curtains.

Why was my book so full of shit?
Is it true that in the Netherlands you can sneak into someone's house, spend 48 hours, and gain legal rights to stay there?

Why do you need to live in a boat house in order to move towns every year? Also who wants to move towns every year? Also who still lives in towns?

This desu. Why not just move towns like normal people?

>Why do you need to live in a boat house in order to move towns every year?
You don't have to buy a new house, you just have a tug boat drag you there.

>Also who wants to move towns every year?
Well not necessarily every year, but some people like to move around.

You could just rent.

You're gonna keep renting forever?

What is the difference between renting and living on a boat? Either way you are not building equity.

A tub boat to drag your house boat from one town to another? That seems impossible, how would you, for example, get a house boat from Den Haag to Amsterrdam? Or even Leiden?

>What is the difference between renting and living on a boat?
You own the boat i guess.

Look I'm not advocating that you should buy a boat house, this is just what people i know who live in these things say

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vliet_(canal)
There aren't a lot of town here that aren't connected by a canal, river, or lake.

We're called swamp Germans for a reason

They can get pretty comfy if you don't mind the lack of space

People do that here also

Until it sinks.

Thinking about that picture, how is it about manteinance? Normal sail ships are taken out of water yearly for that reason.

>Normal sail ships are taken out of water yearly for that reason.
You put it in a dry dock like normal boats

We have them, but they're Always open

some people do that here too

>lack of space
my uncle used to live on one and it huge on in the inside somehow

people live on boats here as well

well on "péniches", if you ever visited Paris you might have done a tourist trip in one of those, or eaten in a péniche-restaurant, at some point

well some of them have been designed into houses
people who live there definitely don't do it for rent since it's quite expensive

they do it probably because it's comfortable and i guess quite high-class

Are they on the other side the river as well?

comfiness

Max comfy