From Windows 10 to Kubuntu

How long have you used Linux?
Do you use Windows sometimes?
Was it scary to convert over to Linux?
Do you miss Windows?
What made you go over?

I want to go over to Kubuntu from W10 on my main computer, but I'm scared.

Dual boot

You can install Kubuntu onto a thumbdrive. That way, you can play with it without having to worry too much about fucking up windows.

>I want to go over to Kubuntu from W10 on my main computer, but I'm scared.
Something like Kubuntu will almost certainly justwerk out of the box. You may have to tweak a few things depending on your (hardware) setup, but KDE is quite solid in that regard. Other than that, there's nothing to be scared of. It's not hard to use or anything. You'll just have to get used to doing a few things a bit differently, like installing software. As far as Windows software is concerned, there's so many different ways to run it that that shouldn't be a concern, either.

easy
the fuck you use your PC for?
if the answer is games, stick with windows.
if the answer is literally anything else, move the fuck on to literally anything else

>How long have you used Linux?
started to dabble with it 5 years ago. Switched full time around 3 years ago
>Do you use Windows sometimes?
Yes
>Was it scary to convert over to Linux?
Not really
>Do you miss Windows?
Why would I?
>What made you go over?
XP end of life

For about 14 years.

Have to at work (God bless it's Win7).

No, but had a few hiccups in the beginning.

>Do you miss Windows?
Not a bit.

>What made you go over?
Friend recommended it.
Had a few switches back and forth, but since MS released Win8 and the Cryptoviruses appeared I've stayed with Fedora.

Two months.
On my main computer.
A little. I installed Mint on a laptop that came preinstalled with Windows 8.1, and I didn't fully understand what challenges Secure Boot would/could bring to the installation process. But it was a cakewalk, makes me more confident about switching over my desktop someday.
>Do you miss Windows?
Nope, still use it.
>What made you go over?
Took a server management class in college, first half was spent teaching CLI basics in Linux Mint, found it really fun and interesting so I kept it going at home via my laptop.

since 2011
just for the occasional application
I was most scared about losing my files, but that had more to do with hard drives than software
>Do you miss Windows?
lol
>What made you go over?
For me linux is much easier to understand and doesn't have stupid shit popping up all the time

5 years
yes but not my computer
yes, because the file system is not the same as windows, even OS HD partition also confusing for first timer... do your research first then everythings is gonna be ok, afraid also for not able to play games that support windows only
>Do you miss Windows?
I miss some features of it like Icons, windoew media player, paint, XP pinball, oh god I forgot so many windows tricks and command line
>What made you go over?
virus, windows update and windows 8/windows 10...windows 7 losing the support..windows 8 tiles view very confusing and got a lot unnecessary features
study how kubuntu file system works first, then linux HD partition, so you dont do anything wrong during installation. live boot using live Cd first, explore the features

Almost 15 years.
Yes, all the time.
Not really, it was difficult though. l33t online h4x0rZ told me to install slackware, those fucking cunts.
>Do you miss Windows?
N/A, although I hate using it.
>What made you go over?
Promise of being cool l33t h4x0r.

about 4 years now. I've used it almost exclusively for at least 2 years now
if there's a video games I want to play. I haven't had a case of that in a couple years now
at first I had trouble doing a lot of thing and figuring things out. I had 2 Ubuntu installations just die randomly. After I moved to Debian everything was mostly fine. I later moved to Antergos, then Arch and Gentoo and everything was fine on those.
>Do you miss Windows?
No, for everyday use any Linux distro is better, these days. For video games, it would be nice to have Windows,but I don't play that many video games anymore. almost everything works in Wine now anyway.
>What made you go over?
I had tried out Linux before I had any reason to switch over. The first time I realized Linux was better was when I was building some shitty video game I made and spent over an hour trying to get MinGW to hook into the correct windows libraries to work. On Linux it was one command to get these libs.

I've also always been into the anti-corporate spying thing, which has driven me to Linux and BSD.

Around half a year.
No. I'm not much of a gamer and the games I play are mostly rogue-likes and retro games anyway, so I have no real need for Windows.
Nah. I used DOS for more than a decade, so terminals don't faze me at all.
>Do you miss Windows?
Not even for a second. It's hard to describe just how much more pleasant and stress-free my computing experience is on Linux than it ever was on Windows.
>What made you go over?
There was a number of reasons - chief among them was that I just tired of constantly having to play whack-a-mole with Windows' numerous vulnerabilities and botnet features.

Why are Windows users so intimidated by using a GNU/Linux OS? Is it about the terminal? Because, OP, once you learn how to use it you won't know how you went without it.

5 years now, on my laptop
Yes, mostly for work
Not at all
Not at all
Microsoft being shit

First time I installed it and used it was like 2008 or so. First Ubuntu and then Debian for a bit and then back to Ubuntu. For a long time it was just a dual-boot thing until I got a second machine and started using it as a "home server" (read: other computer to back up files to). By about 2013 or so my laptop ran Linux exclusively (I'd played with Fedora and once did indeed install Gentoo, but went back to Debian) because it didn't need to play games, and that was the main thing I needed Windows for. But a year or two ago I just spiffed up my second machine and switched over to it, and stripped down my gaming machine. I start it up when I want to game, but other than that I don't use Windows anymore. I had slowly switched to cross-platform applications for most of my stuff, so it wasn't that hard to switch once that was finished, but it did take a while.

I did it because I was bloody fucking sick of Microsoft's shit. First Metro, and then the mandatory telemetry. There's things about Linux that annoy me, and things about Windows (7) that I miss, but overall I think I'm quite a bit better off now.

it was never the terminal for me, it was just a sort of general being-in-the-dark feeling about how the OS worked, how to do things with it, and how to fix problems with it. I'd been using shit in the control panel for years, and could always find the setting I wanted, but then on Linux I was lost. Was there a GUI config thing? did that vary by DE (yes)? was it a config file somewhere? where? You feel like a noob again. If you can get over that hill though, the discomfort of using a different OS goes away. You just have to be willing to google a lot of shit, ask stupid questions in the Linux thread, etc

I recommend KDE Neon over Kubuntu

It's basically the same thing, but with a more up-to-date version of kde and the lts version of kubuntu

I started dual-booting around 2 Years ago, and just now deleted my windows partition.I dual-booted this long because of games, but now everything i want is on linux or works via wine (even overwatch)
Until a few weeks ago i dual-booted
Nope
>Do you miss Windows?
Nope
>What made you go over?
Win 10 being shit

first off
1. dont fall for meme distros
arch/gentoo/void ect are only good for tinkering with. they dont just werk like other distros
2. ubuntu is a great distro. linux mint is also very nice too if you like the cinnamon desktop environment
3. you wont run into any problems with ubuntu, it automates a lot of stuff for you and nearly NEVER breaks (if it does it's usually if you've done some serious fucking shit in the core components)

that's really it

Debian as main OS on all my machines since 2009
When I have to use other people's boxes, and it really feels off.
No, why should it?
>Do you miss Windows?
Not for one second.
>What made you go over?
Curiosity.
Move in small steps, find a spare drive and replace your main one, try it for a week or two. Don't give up on the first difficulty. Man pages and unix&linux stackexchange are your new best friends. Pick debian/a debian based distro, avoid kali and niche distros. Arch wiki is great, but don't use arch until you're comfortable. Check your hardware in advance, so you know of you need a distro which includes non-free stuff.

3 years
Not anymore
Yes
No
Spyware, heavyweightness of windows, freemium garbage software is not required on Linux to make things work

About 3 months.
Not on my own machine, only when using somebody else's computer with it installed.
Not at all.
>Do you miss Windows?
No but I sometimes miss the old Windows 9x "classic" GUI (but I already missed that before I switched to Lunix).
>What made you go over?
Fell for the Gentoo meme.