Best gaming laptop <$600?

I have been trying to find the best preforming laptop that fits my budget and wanted your expert opinion.
I do want something that can run modern games but don't care if I have to use low settings for playable frame rates.

In my research the Acer Aspire E 15 E5-575G-57D4 (Intel Core i5-7200U, GeForce 940MX, 8GB DDR4 SDRAM, 256GB SSD) seems like it may be the best option in my price range but I only have limited knowledge of the current laptop market so I am not sure if something is better out there for under $600 USD.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Yzif38XKW9w
notebookcheck.net/AMD-Ryzen-Mobile-Raven-Ridge-Back-to-the-Top.260136.0.html
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAATJ60H1169&cm_re=mx150_7700hq-_-2WC-0019-000G2-_-Product
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834154149&cm_re=mx150_7700hq-_-34-154-149-_-Product
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Bump for interest.

Bump for interest, I'm thinking on getting the one with the i5 8250u and MX150

you can't get a gaming laptop for $600. they suck anyway.

>gayming
install gentoo

At that price it will be used or quite low spec. The 940MX is NOT a gaming card, and will just be dead weight that you are better off without. The 7200U is an awful cpu for gaming or CAD work.

>t. owner of asus K501UX with I7-6500U and GTX 950M

What do you define a gaming laptop as?
I ask because there are laptops on the market that can play modern games at that price range.
So what do you mean you can't?

If it is bad then what would you suggest instead?

>gaming
>laptop
dont

Buy used or work an extra day.
Or maybe hunt local and see what you can trade for one

No other option if I want to continue my hobby.
I have to move around a lot for work but I don't want to be stuck only playing handhelds and mobile games for the next few years.
It also isn't practical for me to lug around a full sized gaming rig, monitor, keyboard, ect, everywhere.

why would you game on a laptop. it's like throwing consciously money out of the window and limiting the efficiency of the build. it's not really a cost-effective choice. you are only going to regret the lack of performance, the overheating and the poor battery life

I am asking what laptop or specs you would suggest and why, not where to get a laptop.

What if someone wants to game on a flight? I know I would.

Because I need the mobility of a laptop.
If I didn't need the mobility then of course I would get a desktop computer.

>gaming laptop

People like you should be taken out back and shot.

>need mobility
>gaming laptop

This is why some people are stupid and why stupid people stay poor.

you need the mobility of a laptop to play or to do your job? because I can't picture any sane person playing outside of your home. what's the laptop for?

For fuck sake, I don't have any other options but a laptop if I want to continue to be able to play decent games with my lifestyle.

Yes you do have options.

You simple just already opted for the muh gaming laptop option without any rationale behind it.

You're a fucking idiot.

It is for fun.
It is just that my job takes me all over the country and I travel extremely regularly for work.

lol

pathetic

>Yes you do have options.
Like what?

Not being a dumbfuck for starters.

What games are you playing? I have a thinkpad with the exact same CPU and GPU so I should be able to give you an idea of what frame rates you'll get with the E15

so you are fine carrying a desktop in a suitcase? because there are a lot of gayming-branded laptop out there you can buy instead of something that isn't really meant for gaming. if you want desktop-like performance on the go you'll have to spend money or you'll just waste money

I am not playing much of anything now because I move around too much to justify getting anything that can run modern games since I would have to leave it behind after a few weeks at most.

there are a lot of issues with gaming on laptops such as keyboard, overheating, cd/dvd drive will fail (or start doing wierd stuff) and compared to pc a significantly lower capability. thats why usually nobody would consider using a laptop for anything else than work stuff. before buying a gaming laptop you should be aware that you wont be able to play your favourite games on max settings under any circumstances. do you really want to be the guy who sits in the train / airplane / whatever, pulls out his laptop and is like 'whoa time for some cs:go'. spoiler alert, the gaming experience will be much worse than you migth expect (t. somebody who used a laptop for gaming for 3 years).

The reviews make it look like it can run games. The benchmark test look acceptable.
Am I missing something?

Right I'll rephrase it for you, what games do you want to play?

I bought a dell inspiron gaming laptop while studying abroad. Continue to use it for games when I stay at my girlfriends or travel with work if the other lads don't want to go out drinking.

The inspiron might be a bit over what you want to spend but decent gaming laptops do exist and fit some people's use case. Don't listen to the neckbeards who won't leave their Mums house and thus will never need something portable.

The main problem you may have is finding one for 600usd that will run what you want it to. Laptops with decent graphics cards are expensive and the 940s and stuff are pretty turd IMO.

I have literally never played any pc game on max settings ever in my whole life

Overheating and thermal throttling is a concern but it is one of the things I would just have to deal with if I would want to play pc games at all.

What people in this thread refuse to understand is that a desktop computer is not a option for me right now.
If it was I would probably be happy with a $300 dollar low spec rig.

wait for a Ryzen mobile laptop that fits your needs.

MGS:V
Elder scrolls 4 and 5
Fall out 3 and new Vegas
Some sort of competitive online shooter that is relatively popular like tf2 or overwatch

That type of stuff
The rest of the stuff I am into can be run on nearly anything so I am not worried about performance issues playing them.

I would definitely save a little more before spending $600 on a laptop, even if you can only raise your budget to $800 you will have a lot more choice.

>MGS:V
Not gonna happen, don't even bother.
>TF2
Should work decently
>TES/Fallout
Should be able to run fallout and oblivion at very low settings, don't bother with Skyrim though.

Should be able to run fallout and oblivion at very low settings
That is at 30 fps?

I'd say around 60

I know this sounds retarded, but at this price point, you may want to consider waiting until december when laptop manufacturers release their machinees with ryzen mobile. It is your best bet at some decent graphics in an affordable laptop. In the meantime, bristol ridge APUs are cheap but a little lackluster and on 28nm node.

TF2, Fallout 3, New Vegas and Skyrim are all installed on my decade old Thinkpad T60P, anything with integrated graphics today should run them fine

this.

Nice
Do you have some information on this I can read up on.
I guess I could get a cheap table that runs windows and play games that I liked from the 90s and early 00s on it to hold me over if it really is worth the wait for the same price range.

So you want 2005 games at best? Got it.

Just search Bristol Ridge on google for the "current" APUs and ryzen mobile for what is about to be released. Avoid HP machines though, they are using single channel ram (bottlenecks because cpu and gpu end up sharing the same channel) and HP can't manage heat if their life depended on it.

Waste of cash. Either get a good one or just don't try. It'll be a complete disappointment otherwise. I blew $2300 on a gaming laptop when I got my first job. Never ever making the mistake of mobile gaming outside of Nintendo again.

Trust me, it'll suck and you'll want your money back for something better.

Yeah, buying from HP is like saying you don't want your laptop to last a whole year. The thing will auto-bake.

You really think integrated graphics would be better then having dedicated graphics and a modern cpu?

But are they actually playable on such old hardware?
It is one thing to have them installed and even getting them to open/run, it is another thing to run them at a playable frame rate.

No, but I am pretty sure I can get games from then to run on a $100 windows table with some tweaking. Such games would be a step up from android games, which is what I am currently stuck with until I get something I can travel with.

I can see where OP is coming from. I don't have the luxury of the space and time to dedicate to a desktop. I can game here and there, maybe a match or two during my lunch break or other quick moments I get.

Look, if you're going to make dumb choices, just make them yourself. You don't need our help or validation.

You aren't going to get answers to those questions because most of the people here are exlusively concerned with high end desktop computers.
Anything else is outside what they actually know anything about so they just use assumptions and dismiss it off hand since a few years ago it was true that you couldn't do much of anything gaming related on a sub $1000 laptop. Combine that with very high standards of what constitutes acceptable graphics and performance and you have a group that see your premiss as foolish without any further investigation.

I had one. It does after about 2 years. Not great for gaming but you could do a bit if you don't mind low frame rates and such.

Honestly get a desktop and carry it with you if you really want to game.

Have you not seen the quality level of laptops as cheap as he's asking? Gaming on that shit will suck unless he finds a used one that has decent specs and build quality.

And by gaming I mean stuff like Rimworld. No way in hell anything with modern graphics.

So in your opinion is what?
That pc gaming can only be done on high end desktops?
That one must spend thousands of dollars on a laptop to run anything made in the last 10 years?
Explain what is so wrong with the questions I have asked or the explanations I have provided.
There are products on the market that fit my uses as well as new ones just around the corner that all fit within the budget I have specified.
Is everything else on the internet lying about the capability of these laptops or what?
I keep being insulted and called dumb.
Fine. Explain in detail why it is impossible and why I am dumb then. Maybe then I can learn and not be so dumb.

You're putting words in my mouth. I say that because laptop gaming sucks even at the high end. I've experienced it for myself on the high and low end. Done everything from 2D to 3D and it was a terrible experience. If an expensive gaming laptop sucks, just imagine a cheap one.

I can tell you now that it'll blow because I've done it already.

Carrying around desktop, monitor, etc is simply impractical/impossible in my current situation.

It seems strange that reviews run games with modern graphics yet in your experience it struggled with 2d graphics and low frame rates.
Also how did you have it for 2 years when it only came out in the middle of last year?

I'll sell you a gamin' laptop for 700 OP. 6700HQ, 8GB Ram, 1TB HDD, and 970M.

Could you please explain how/why it sucks?
Does it sucks so bad that I would be better off not doing any pc gaming whatsoever for the next few years when I might settle down a bit?
Does it sucks so bad that I would be better off using exlusively android devices to game on?

Was mentioned for

No thanks but thank you for the offer.
Have a nice day

What does it mean if a laptop says something like the RAM is soldered in and non-upgradeable but it has "support for dual channel"?

Might have some soldered and an empty slot
Mine had 4 gigs soldered and an 8 gig stick in the slot

I thought that but then why would it say non-upgradable?

Your best pet is to wait for Raven Ridge. Initial reports indicate that you should be able to play games like Witcher 3, GTA V, Fallout 4, Doom etc at mid to high settings at ~30 FPS. For reference, here's how nVidia's laptop GT 1030 performs:

youtube.com/watch?v=Yzif38XKW9w

Now look at where synthetic benchmarks place the Vega component of the Raven Ridge APU:

notebookcheck.net/AMD-Ryzen-Mobile-Raven-Ridge-Back-to-the-Top.260136.0.html

Performance should be roughly similar because while the graphics unit is a little weaker, the CPU is much stronger. But of course you should base your final decision on actual benchmarks once the thing is out.

And don't worry about the guy who says Laptop gaming is shit. It might depend on the manufacturer, but I've had zero heat or other problems with my 970m Clevo laptop.

don't settle for anything less than a gtx 1050

im not op, but the specs he posted would be enough for me to play any game that i would want. so you are wrong.

>hobby
>gayming as a hobby
Get a real hobby

This.
I'm waiting on the Acer Swift 3 with 2700U to see how that works out.

why does this thread have 70 posts you unspeakable retards

For 800 you could get one but less than that only if refurb or open box

Was one of the older models I got on newegg when they had a sale in 2015.

But yes you aren't going to do much gaming on a laptop for that much money. Sorry.

I am worried about the price though.
I may be too expensive when it comes out for me to feel comfortable traveling with.
I am willing to sacrifice graphics for peace of mind. What is important to me is that whatever I get can run games at a playable frame rate, even if the game has to be made ugly as sin to do it.
That said, unless the price of what I have been looking at comes dramatically down over the holidays, I am thinking it maybe best to wait 2 or 3 months to see if this new chipset is worth the hype and in my price range.

What do you have in mind?
Or are you just making generalizations?

These go for 800$, including Windows 10:

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAATJ60H1169&cm_re=mx150_7700hq-_-2WC-0019-000G2-_-Product

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834154149&cm_re=mx150_7700hq-_-34-154-149-_-Product

The Raven Ridge laptops will in all likelihood perform very similarly and be cheaper, so you may well be able to get one without Windows 10 (which you probably already have / can easily pirate) for about 600$.

For $600? Fuck yes. Ryzen mobile is getting priced competitively with Kaby and it absolutely destroys the iGPU in it.

It seems the best thing to do is wait a few months and get a dual channel Raven Ridge laptop when they make a model in my price range.
Didn't know that integrated graphics have come so far.

Now the question is what are you going to get to tide you over until it comes out?

>940mx meme
literal piece of shit
>storagelet ssd
even on gentoo i only consider anything 500gb or above acceptable, good luck with that shit on wangblows, especially with fuckhuge games
>7200u
low power meme
>all that memery packed with 8gb ddr4 ram
because you're definitely gonna end up being bottlenecked by ddr3 with that setup.

damn the gaymen laptop market is horrible

Why do people with nothing productive to say have to shit up threads they don't care about?

I am thinking ether a Windows tablet or just stick with android devices for the next few months while I wait.
Alternatively, if I find a very tiny lcd screen I guess I could get one of those mini PCs and a inverter.

If you don't mind playing everything on the lowest settings it should work if you have no other choice but a laptop at that price.
From the specs it should run the most popular shit on steam, again at low graphics and meh but playable frame rates.

Go used or refurbished because it's the only way that you'll get your moneys worth on a high end laptop. I payed 850 usd for my G751JY and it had a 3 month refurb warranty. The 980m and 4720hq run smooth with the g-sync display.

Any tips on trustworthy sites.
I have been burnt buying refurbished parts online before.

Get something with a Ryzen APU. You'll be able to get something ultra portable that can play modern games on low or medium and the price isn't going to be too far out of hand.

>

Battery doesn't last that long.
It's only useful as essentially a portable sub-par desktop computer that needs to be plugged in (and sometimes cooled with cooling pads) to be a portable gaming computer.

It's fucking not worth the money.

I grabbed an HP omen 15 from wall Mart for $499 3 weeks ago...
I7-7700hq quad(with ht)
12gb ddr4 ram
1050 to 4gb
15 matte IPS 1080p screen
120gb nvme ssd
1tb 7200rpm secondary drive

Shits amazing, plays everything 1080p/60fps on high-ultra settings and a 6 he battery life when not gaming.

>because I can't picture any sane person playing outside of your home.
>go on holidays
>don't game a bit on the computer when it's too rainy to enjoy it outside

Alternatively:
>only just recently left parents house and have a tendency to move house often
Or
>play lan parties with friends because you can't afford the internet (if that was the case then you wouldn't be able to afford the computer either)

>gaming
>laptop
>cheap
Pick at most two.

Decent ones start at 1k EUR.
There is this huge shitty hole in laptop offers - no midrange model with good enough graphic card, i5 CPU and good screen without pwm.

I don't know how you got it for that price but great find.

Why do people with nothing productive to say have to shit up threads they don't care about by calling out people with nothing productive to say who shit up threads they don't care about?

You could think of OP's question as which shitty option is the least shitty

>>>Sup Forums

It is a sincere question.
Which is why it is getting shit on so hard.

Why do people with nothing productive to say have to shit up threads they don't care about by calling out people with nothing productive to say who shit up threads they don't care about who call out other people with nothing productive to say who shit up threads they don't care about by calling out people with nothing productive to say who shit up threads they don't care about and then fail at ing them by capitalizing the b?

try getting up to 650-700 dlls and wait for cyber monday, should be able to get a laptop with a GTX 1050 Ti (should run just about everything at mid settings 1080p). If not, the GTX 1050 is still OK, just make sure it is the 4 GB version.

For ultraportability the MX150 is around the same price range and, while weaker than the GTX ones, will beat a 940MX easily

Fine
The best/most powerful laptop in that price (let's ignore what I plan to do with it for the moment).