Has 5k screen

>has 5k screen
>operating system runs at 1440p by default, 1800p is the highest recommended, real 5k is in hidden settings
Fucking why? Are they really too lazy to tweak their GUI to support ultra high resolution?

Other urls found in this thread:

everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/imac-aluminum-tapered-edge-faq/how-to-run-imac-retina-5k-at-full-resolution.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Are they really too lazy to tweak their GUI to support ultra high resolution?
Yes. High resolutions are just marketing buzzwords, no one actually has any use for them.

Is this really true, though? Fucking applel lmao.

I hate Apple as much as the next guy but there's no way that I buy that they're running their OS at a lower resolution then the screen.

everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/imac-aluminum-tapered-edge-faq/how-to-run-imac-retina-5k-at-full-resolution.html
Best (Retina) is 2560x1440
More Space is 3200x1800
Screen itself is 5120x2880

Most likely due to the constant overheating and thermal throttling this thing has.

My coworker bought one and constantly complains about slow 3D rendering in maya despite it having a fucking xeon. Poor thing must be hitting 100C while trying to maintain more than 1GHz.

the iMacs don't have xeon. he must have bought the trash can Mac Pro which indeed was a thermal disaster

lol Wow what a shit

So it can't even scale the ui independent of resolution?

That shit needs decent GPUs, Apple only provides laptop GPUs. Trashcan Mac has forced anyone needing a desktop GPU to abandon ship long ago.

>macintrash
Found your problem.

It is 5k but it’s made to “look like” smaller res so you can actually see to click and use the interace you stupid motherfuckers. Bet none of you get past 90 IQ since you can’t comprehend few lines of text

Jesus you much be a bot. Stop wasting your life people this misleading images.

>t. mactoddler

>was a thermal disaster
Ah that's a shame to hear. I thought the design looked interesting. If they swapped to copper heatsinks and thin fins do you think it would be better?

Why do Macs always overheat?

You'd think after 3.5 decades Apple would hire at least one actual engineer.

Clarification: looked interesting in terms of making a thermal chimney out of the components.
The actual system looks like a fucking garbage can.

not him but not an argument

I was stupid enough to buy one for my office and the experience was absolutely abhorrent. It sounded like a jet engine when I did video editing/encoding and I constantly saw the frequency dip to 2.5 GHz before cooling down and trying to do 4 GHz only to dip down to 2.5 GHz all over again.

I have one on my desk right now. It's almost totally silent no matter what i do, even in the summer.

Fuck off Jony.

Because apple cares more about aesthetics than functionality. All apple has to do is make the dam thing a few cm thicker and put in a mini closed water cooling loop inside to reduce the amount of thermal throttling.

Though seeing how a noticeable amount of their users carry them to starbucks it seems like it would drive sale down. Maybe they should get rid of ports on the next few models to lighten the load for these soyboy hipsters.

>no matter what i do
No one cares that you sit at your Mac refreshing Facebook all day.

form > function

Then good for you but remember this thread if you ever decide to software encode video or do anything cpu intensive for more than 5 minutes.

I'm pretty sure it does output 5k, however the UI elements' size is scaled up so it's still readable like they do with their "Retina displays" ever since they made them a thing.

I do things that are CPU intensive and I still have zero issues. I think your mac was faulty.

Says the guy on a mongolian basket weaving forum.

>I think your mac was faulty.
If every mac that behaves like that is faulty, that's a pretty high failure rate.

>your mac was faulty.
That's appleshit in general.

this

Boss in my place got rid of them in place for bulky xps workstation. Obviously something was wrong with all of them.

it's 2x scaling moron, usable resolution of 1440 but it's 5120x2880

That's the thing. They hire some exceptional engineers and then force them to engineer it to within a millimeter of its life. Form is so paramount to their brand they will actually settle for function suffering significantly.
And there are no real thermal solutions other than "make it bigger and add better heat dissipation" which is basically the antithesis of their form mandate.

Most annoying thing? It wasn't always like this. The old Power Mac G5s had custom AIO like solutions that cooled the processors in near complete silence with some of the best airflow engineering I've ever seen.

I thought it was only running in 2560x1440 as far as applications are concerned, while the actual display signal is still 5k.

That's pretty stupid.
Those screens cost a shitload of money and they can't even use them fully.

I would have put 1440p screens and cashed in the extra profit since lowering prices is not an apple approved practice.

oh man you're really dumb

>i am too stupid the understand the benefits of high PPI and don't know what scaling is

you literally have no idea what you're talking about or how this works

Mine doesn't despite heavy use. Either move out of a desert or fix you computer. Maybe some compressed air like a logical person?

It's okay to be poor, you don't have to be angry you can't have nice things.

How can you miss the point this hard? By being as dumb as you are.

that's exactly what it does idiot

I get it, yours is fine, it's just every other one is faulty.
>Already calling other people poor
The only real apple defense.

Why don't you run Windows at 540p on your 1080p monitor then, currynigger?

learn to read
>by default run "pixel doubled" at a setting that looks like 2560x1440, it just has four times the detail of a "traditional" display.

Okay I'll bite: run your mac with prime95 for at least an hour and record the clock frequencies, cpu temps, and noise levels during that time and post them here with validation of some sort.

>It wasn't always like this
Umm... no, sweetie.

because 1080p is not high PPI resolution at the typical screen sizes you see for it.

At the typical viewing distances and monitor sizes the 'retina' BS comes into play around 4K resolution or higher.

A friend of mine bought a Dell 4K laptop just when the trend was starting, boy was that a mistake.

>UI scaling issues
>Apps glitching
>Driver crashing

We ended up running at 1440p

At least all the apps scale correctly. On Windows programs are blurry as fuck. And Linux they are too small to be usable.

i think the original macintosh was fanless because stevie demanded it

>1440p
Worst resolution for font rendering

Can you imagine a fanless iMac? Thing would probably violently detonate if you even opened up iTunes.

Why is resolution set to scaled then?

I'm on windows with a 4K resolution and 150% scaling.
Things look fine here.

Occasionally in some indie games you need to set the HUD to 200% scaling for it to be the right size ( grim dawn for example)

because it's 2x scaling, which is 4x the total number of pixels
2560x1440 = 3686400
5120x2880 = 14745600

I guess Jobs wasn't full of only bright ideas after all.

what text lol

Thankfully the Adobe suite updated to support UI scaling but back then we had shit like this.

If the same pixel-for-pixel user interface was rendered at this resolution, the interface would be tiny. Instead, what Apple chose to do is decouple the size of user interface elements from screen resolution. So, the dock, for example, instead of being 200 pixels tall, is now 1 inch tall. The system automatically translates a 1" tall dock into the required number of pixels for the screen's physical resolution.

In order to make the switch from non-retina displays to retina-displays easiest, what they elected to do is take the default screen resolutions that everyone is used to (1440x900, 1920x1200, etc.), and pixel double them. So, on the rMBP, the physical screen resolution is 2880x1800, but the default screen resolution (that is closest to what everyone is used to seeing) is 1440x900. The system gives the same physical real estate as a 1440x900 screen, but the system is actually displaying 2880x1800 with user interface elements that are twice as large.

Pajeets need not to reply to me as they don’t comprehend language.

jesus.

You clearly have no idea how hidpi / scaling works.

>because it's 2x scaling

So not native resolution then

>Thankfully the Adobe suite updated to support UI scaling but back then we had shit like this.

You had to manually edit a few files for PS to scale right on 4k displays. Nice to know adobe made it easier

oh my god this is not hard to comprehend
the resolution is still 5120x2880, but all the UI elements are scaled up 2x so they aren't unusably tiny. you end up with a "usable" resolution of 2560x1440, but it's still running at 5120x2880

>oh my god this is not hard to comprehend
>the resolution is still 5120x2880, but all the UI elements are scaled up 2x so they aren't unusably tiny. you end up with a "usable" resolution of 2560x1440, but it's still running at 5120x2880

Then why under the resolution setting hereIts checked scaled and not best for this display?

It IS the native resolution. The UI elements are just drawn larger. If they didn't do that, they'd be tiny at that resolution. They've done that for their high res screens since pretty much forever.

Windows has the same feature where you can change the scaling.

The screen still uses its native resolution. You can tell by the fonts and media like images and videos and because the UI elements are really smooth.

You clearly have no idea how any of this works, do you?

best for this display is the "auto" setting and it will use the default 2x scaling mode

If you are this mentally challenged you might want to stop posting.

>So not native resolution then
Do you understand that the monitor has a fixed resolution that cannot be changed ?

the only way for it to be 1440p without scaling is for it to have black bars all around it and the image in the middle of the monitor.

If the image goes from edge to edge of the monitor than its scaled.

Didn't Linux do a video on this already? It's "fake 5k" because Aple is using a DisplayPort/Thunderbolt hack, Thunderbolt 3 only supports 4k so there's a bit of driver trickery involved.

pic related

Yeah. The fonts on old win32 applications really look awful.

>Also inconsistency in language settings

>Do you understand that the monitor has a fixed resolution that cannot be changed ?

So apple no longer allows you to change resolution?

does that mean that I run windows at 1920x1080 resolution?
no
it means the ui elements are scaled up in programs like 9px size font --> 18px size font etc...
there is no quality loss

But that's not even the point here.
The OS doesn't output a 1440p signal to the monitor. It outputs in the native resolution of the screen.
It just renders fonts and the UI bigger because otherwise, they'd be tiny as fuck on a 5k display.

>You'd think after 3.5 decades Apple would hire at least one actual engineer.

If you run at native resolution with no scaling it would be unusable

L2HiDPI

>It IS the native resolution. The UI elements are just drawn larger.

Then why the fuck does it say resolution is scaled? Why not call it ui scaling like everyone else does?

Everyone give up, OP is an idiot has has never used a high PPI display before in their lives but is arguing against it.

But that doesn't really counter OP's implied statement: That it is like an American car, full of specs, high numbers, and chrome styled what not, which can't live up to it's marketing promises. It's just 1K more, 2 cylinders more, without any real horsepower.

Like the gangsta Cadillac Escalede. 6,2L V6 gives you 420HP, a Range Rover 5L V8, 510HP.

Which one do you want to drive throu a field?

Who the fuck even knows. It's apple.
Why don't they call it "high resolution display" instead of "Retina display"? I have no fucking idea. But that's what it is and that's what they do.

So, is this thread done now or is OP still too stupid to get a simple concept like this?

>no one actually has any use for them
I work in print. a high-res display resembles the end product in a way that makes my job much easier. don't talk out of your ass neckbeard

So many people in this thread that don't understand scaling.

LITERALLY EVERY 720p and higher android phone does the same thing

ignore him, he's a kid who fell for all the chinkpad/freetard autism memes, including the irrational hatred for anything Apple

Guess you must hate using that high PPI phone display ?

Absolutely no use in having crisp text and UI elements

WTF are you on about?

All the 'retina' Macs use every last pixel. 'Virtual' non-interger-scaled resolutions are always downscaled to the display (i.e. rendered even higher rez to a buffer).

No you're just using them wrong I bet

I use a 4k Monitor with 300% scaling.
Come at me bruv.

>itt: everyone's retarded and don't realize that the hardware/display output resolution is ALWAYS 5k, and the "resolution" settings are just "how big do you want UI elements to look"/"scaling factor" because that's what normies think resolution means
shit like text, images, etc will always appear crisp but all the losers that shit on products they've never used out of principal because they can't afford them now or couldn't have afforded when they were kids and developed a hate boner for them then that hasn't subsided yet would have you think differently.
Y'know the big thing that never made sense to me, why not just walk into a best buy and try it? Takes 5 fuckin minutes. If you're genuinely gonna reach so far for a justification to hate something eternally, why not just try a floor unit? They're always there and up. You can just walk in and try one.

Wait a second, I remember your username. Aren't you the one whom owns a W520, a buttplug and a X220?

the fucking thing is made out of aluminum just use the casing as a heatsink
don't even need to pay me apple

>not wasting money on pointless aluminum slabs = poor

This should be /thread but we're talking about apple and for some reason Sup Forums cannot ever have a rational conversation about apple.