/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.
If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous:

Other urls found in this thread:

cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvekey.cgi?keyword=systemd
android-x86.org/
anbox.io/
cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvekey.cgi?keyword=firefox
mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2011-May/msg00427.html
without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd
0pointer.de/blog/projects/the-biggest-myths.html
retro-freedom.nz/clang-vs-gcc-binary-size.html)
github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/6237
github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/7117
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Install Source Mage GNU/Linux

>'no'

Install GoboLinux

Install CRUX

Install GNU GuixSD GNU/GNU Linux-libre

is systemd a botnet? if so, how to safe remove it?

>is systemd a botnet?
no, although it may have unknown flaws that an attacker could exploit to infect you with botnet

>may have
It DOES have exploits that potter refuses to fix

cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvekey.cgi?keyword=systemd

>GoboLinux
Maybe I'm just drunk, but this is really cool. Why don't other distros adopt this?

Because being cool isn't the goal of most distros.
And if I wanted a bunch of capitalized directories under / I would use a mac.

Ok, I guess I'll rephrase.

What are the downsides of this approach to software installation? The simplicity of it seems like a pretty large feature.

I'm not really familiar with it but from a quick look it looks like it effectively caching the runtime linker lookups as symlinks at install time.
I don't see any downsides apart from compatibility with stuff the expects a more traditional filesystem layout.

How are dependencies handled?

Ignore that, I looked again and all they are doing is unstalling packages to their own namespaces and then linking them up to the main system. Tracking what files are owned by a package is normally done by the package manager, not by making assumptions about filesestem heirarchies. The only other thing that it allows is have multiple versions of a program installed at once.

Can somebody point me to something that can limit battery charging to, say, 80% max on a laptop that is NOT a ThinkPad? tlp adds this functionality on thinkpads only

50% of those are fixed and 50% of those are not/were not systemd bugs. Shill harder.

just because potter does it typical NOT A BUG dosent mean they arent indeed a fucking bug
Fucking security experts are saying they are bugs but yet potter says cve arent needed for systemd and hold no merit.

Faggot is still butthurt and cant accept when he is wrong

Name one (1) unresolved systemd bug. You can't.

>unresolved
What do you mean by that? If you didn't notice the post you replied to was discussing the different interpretations.

>What do you mean by that?
fixed, closed errata, merge pull. Solved. There's no hidden meaning.
>If you didn't notice the post you replied to was discussing the different interpretations.
If you didn't notice I asked him (you?) to point me to one (1) systemd-related bug, and I received no answer. The same github issue in that screenshot is referencing a old, solved, systemd-related bug. I'm not even asking for interpretations on whatever systemd is to blame or not. cve.mitre.org is just an archive of past issues and a simple search with a keyword means jack shit. Still, we have this fucking faggot spamming systemd hate in every friendly linux thread and it's honestly time to end this shit.

I heard you can get rood when your username starts with an "0".

Friendly GNU/Linux Thread*

How stable is Debian unstable? Does shit really randomly break? I'm tired of really old packages in stable. I'm also doing FDE, is there a chance that anything in unstable would fuck that up too?

yes

I really love Linux like Fedora, Ubuntu and Mint used for a while with original and xfce flavor until I realised that official driver caused tearing with Xorg and there is absolutely nothing I can do because I use laptop screen elid standard.

Is there any trick to not have tearing on desktop and when watching chinese cartoon.

Im not playing much gaymes, but it is preferable if gaymes like CSGO werks so I can harass my friends on weekend

What do you recommend to get up-to-date packages then? Backports, using sid+testing repos with apt pinning, etc.?

yes

Is there anyway to install Android in Linux?

Please eleborate sir. I think I want to try

Thanks for the cheat sheet earlier. Printed and stickied on my whiteboard. It will help fill in any gaps I have.

I actually have a question now.

I've got myself a new desktop computer, and I'm a full-stack developer that prefers Linux as a workstation.

However, I also like video games, which means I don't have much of a choice except run W10 for maximum compatability.

But I still want Linux to work with. What are my options here?

no

You can try android-x86.org/ in your choice of virtual machine software (QEMU/KVM, Virtualbox, etc.)

>archive of past issues and a simple search with a keyword means jack shit
>means jack shit
Dunno about you buddy but the amount of vulns in such a short time really erodes my trust in a project that promised so much.
I mean do you really think there are no more bugs of the order of previous ones? Or is it more likely that they just haven't come to light. Not being a badass hacker myself I only have past performance of a project to judge and you implying that anyone not well practised in pen testing and security auditing isn't fit to critisice a project is pretty offensive behavior.

You can install Linux in Android (it has Linux installed already) but you can't install Android in Linux.

after Arch Chromium switched to Clang earlier today, size of the binary went down 12MB. Why?

They switched to Clang because of a bunch of weird bugs that GCC introduced.

Wipe everything and install Gentoo.

systemd is considered harmful

>you can't install Android in Linux
>anbox.io/
OwO what's this?

what launcher is this?

systemd is a prime example of succ

What is proper/easy way to start irssi inside tmux via systemd on system boot on debian 8.9 (assuming I want user session off course)?
Is using -session optional pam_systemd.so in /etc/pam.d/login and session optional pam_systemd.so in /etc/pam.d/common-session then writing service file located inside ~/.config/systemd/user is right way to do?

it's best to avoid systemd

It says "Run Android applications on any GNU/Linux operating system".

This fagg supports systemd
You are the damn fucking shill.

Why do you name it GNU/Linux and not use its proper name, GNU/systemd/Linux?

Wat. If you want win 10 for that "maximum" compatibility rather than just the linux games, passthrough to virtualization and wine, I guess you just keep it on one machine somewhere.

And then you use Linux for everything else on that same or another nice machine

systemd is a clusterfuck of trash you probably wouldn't want polluting your computer

Any reason not to use void assuming it has all the packages I need?

Not until you find one.

Systemd isn't an operating system, yet.

the thing itself is a colossal turdbug

What? 23 entries since 2012, most of which only referenced systemd as a component and not as the bug? This erodes your trust? What are you even on?
cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvekey.cgi?keyword=firefox
1665 since 2002, have fun
> you implying that anyone not well practised in pen testing and security auditing isn't fit to critisice a project is pretty offensive behavior
How sad, I consider pretty offensive behaviour to do the opposite.

Q.E.D.

yes... by installing the android specific kernel modules via dkms
What else do you need to "install android"?

mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2011-May/msg00427.html
without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd

Take your pick

Linux is the name of the kernel that Linus Torvalds developed starting in 1991. The operating system in which Linux is used is basically GNU with Linux added. To call the whole system “Linux” is both unfair and confusing. Please call the complete system GNU/Linux, both to give the GNU Project credit and to distinguish the whole system from the kernel alone.

>without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd
meme link

Seems you cant come to terms with the actual problem here

>What? 23 entries since 2012
Yeah, distros have been using systemd since 2012. Not everything has been made a CVE because the distros usually handle it by themselves. They only started escalating to CVEs when Lennart became impossible to talk to. For someone who has their nose so firmly up the projects ass you sure haven't been following it too closely.

reminder that systemd is completly open source, unlike linux itself, which comes with many binary-only blobs which do - nobody knows what

Reminder that there's no point to argue about botnet when you run a current Intel CPU.

>without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd
Again with this fucking memetic bullshit, literally chan-tier. Don't ever link it if you want to be taken seriously.

>They only started escalating to CVEs when Lennart became impossible to talk to. For someone who has their nose so firmly up the projects ass you sure haven't been following it too closely.
Lennart has NEVER been a point of reference for CVEs and CVEs are not a way to "escalate" anything. You make it look like a paypal dispute. It's not. CVEs are issued and SHALL be issued even if a bug is solved.

Seems you can't be pointing us to one (1) unpatched systemd vulnerability.

>>without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd
D E B U N K E D
0pointer.de/blog/projects/the-biggest-myths.html

t. mr "notabug"

Jokes on you, I run coreboot+me_cleaner

NEW SYSTEMD THREAD

Not an expert but i'm guessing it might have to do with clang's -Oz flag (as described here: retro-freedom.nz/clang-vs-gcc-binary-size.html)

Sorry this was meant for

No problem. It didn't hurt.

github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/6237

You are living in a fantasy land. Seriously, you can't just make up blanket assertions about things to make you feel secure in your position.

bump, does anyone else run Stable + Backports or Stable + Testing and Sid repos w/ apt-pinning? What's the difference, besides backports being tested more and considered more stable? Which should someone who is new to apt/debian but is experienced in UNIX/(GNU/Linux) use?

>We are just doing what the majority do
>I am happy with changing our rules, but...
Come on, this project is supposed to be the hot new thing. make a progressive example in your modern software project and actually support all the characters in a users locale. There is no reason not to apart from being stubborn.

github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/7117

So lets have a 0day vuln and make up nonsense on why it shoudl stay a vuln?
How fucking depraved are you?
You must really love the taste of lennearts shit down your throat

I need help with audio settings.
I installed Viber (their official Linux desktop client) to finally break free from the Microsoft/Skype botnet, and it is pretty good and can do most things that Skype can do. (i also tried Signal but it can't do calls on the desktop client; toxnet looked promising but it's run by bronies; Wire looked promising but i read a lot of negative reviews about it).
There's just one problem with the audio in Viber.
Every time I start a new call, it automatically sets my microphone volume to the maximum, which causes my conversation partner to hear me as a robotic voice. Skype never did that. I can manually lower the volume again, but it's bothersome to do that every time i enter a call.
I checked the settings but there's nothing i can change about it in Viber.
Is there any way to change system-wide how the audio behaves for certain programs? Like some kind of configuration where i can set it so Viber cannot change my microphone volume? Or i can set a default volume or something.
I'm on Linux Mint btw

>I'm on Linux Mint btw
Use debain you fucking newfag

If you are just looking for reassureance, I ran testing with experimental pinned for a few years but switched to unstable at the start of this year because I got bored of waiting for qt 5.9. The only thing I have noticed different was when they dropped one of the provides in the nvidia glx module to allow it to transition to testing, this threatened to uninstall a bunch of stuff on dist-upgrade for a couple months but normal upgrade still worked fine.

w-what?

eat flaming death, systemd shill
use devuan you fucking newfag

Fedora is the best distro with systemd.

Read the link retard

Sorry I meant to say I am using Debian ;)
Can you help me now?

Not until you use a real distro

What's a real distro?

One without systemd.

install gentoo

why does everyone use gentoo when gentoo was deprecated by funtoo?

No one actually uses either distro, tho.

Nobody uses gentoo, it's a meme you dip.

I use gentoo

Stop lowercase posting.

You didn't post a link, you just sperged some scat.

what's your favorite burzum album?

Because it's really stupid and pointless.

You have to repackage every single thing to fit this new hierarchy with literally no practical gain in doing so beyond not having to memorize something as simple as GNU/Linux directories.