Why in the fuck aren't you using Node.js? It is by far the best language you can use in the modern day

Why in the fuck aren't you using Node.js? It is by far the best language you can use in the modern day.

>libraries for fucking everything, no need to reinvent the wheel :)
>fantastic speed but with the ease of use Node.js provides
>clean, simplistic syntax thanks to ES6 support
>fucking fantastic web development experience with express, blows everything else out of the water
>the BEST implementation of MongoDB out there
>npm

Need I say more Sup Forums? What's your excuse?

Other urls found in this thread:

node-ardx.org
reactphp.org/
reddit.com/r/PHP/comments/4piv4i/phpfig_drama_continues_as_the_group_publicly/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>MongoDB

Just stick to relational databases, but sure, JS on the server isn’t SO bad. People are acting like there was never a language called PHP which has been around for decades

PHP is shit but it is different kind of shit. At least it had java/c#-like oop and somewhat reassuring type constraints.

node.js is made for codemonkeys who will produce lines and lines of code while none of it has any physical impact in the physical world.

I am Cnile and am working with my arduino to make embedded solutions that actually does something in front of my eyes without a screen.

Kill yourself

>node.js
>language

>fantastic speed
obvious troll

Here you go

node-ardx.org

the hate mainly comes from elitist devs that have been using overengineered backend stacks for many years and think they're hot shit.

This

Absolutely no one appreciates a relational database until they are a year into a project with mongodb.

Trust me, I was the one that recommended it two years ago and I'm still regretting it today as I work on the project I started for my company.

Just try mongodb, it's very cool and I love it. But, you'll outgrow it.

Because their github page lists the preferred pronouns of the core contributors.

Node.js isn't a language, you fucking retard. Kill yourself.

So?

I develop in Java.

It's rather slow. I want my webserver to respond to requests quickly. And by "quickly" I mean 20 ms maximum, not the 300ms which are typical in PHP and node.js applications.
And I mean applications that actually do something and are convenient to write, not hello world.

> not the 300ms which are typical in PHP
reactphp.org/

That doesn't work that well with most frameworks.
PHP's philosophy is to just throw the process away at the end of a request and handle ressources and memory that way.
This here will inevitably lead to leaks.

But I am.
Using it for my mobile application backend RESTful api. Mongoose is amazing

>That doesn't work that well with most frameworks.
If you don't want a 300ms response time, you won't use a huge framework.
>This here will inevitably lead to leaks.
Hell no. PHP is very stable, you're thinking of Apache processes which leak like a motherfucker. I have a ReactPHP process which has been running for a full year with daily queries. It does not leak.

How much did it increase your performance? Has it caused any problems or issues that required you to rewrite the application?

this. i fell for the mongo meme. luckily i moved to mysql before it was too late

I started anew. It was essentially an API, and I sure as hell am not going to bring up Symphony just to serve a request. It handles around 100-1000 requests per minute, but CPU and memory usage is minimal. It can handle a lot more.

>MongoloidDB

NO thank you

yeah, no thanks. I have used it before, the syntax is shit, the Object Orientation laughable and it's slow as fuck

this

>PHP finally dying
>lol time to replace it with something even worse

Thanks frontend monkeys

I am still using Django, will I be jobless soon?

What's wrong with MongoDB? If your data is organized as documents and if you don't need ACID it sounds like a fine DB

Or am I being baited by codemonkeys who just used mongo because that's what the cool kids do, without being aware of what mongodb actually is

very nice wojak

>node monkeys call lambdas / anonymous functions "arrow functions"

Jesus fucking christ I legitimately laughed into my coworkers face the first time I heard that

whats something i can make with node that will land me a job?

The problem with django in the current times is it expects a persistent cache that all running instances have read/write to. This makes it a pain to scale outwards using platforms like kubernetes. I know they have been doing some work in this area but it has been slow moving(when the company I worked for had a scaled Django app we used gluster for the scaling filesystem, fuck that).

I suggest learning a platform that supports scaling, ie it doesn't expect all running instances to have access to the same file system. So each instance has it's own cache and will store long term things in a database(maybe MySQL or postgres for data store, S3 or such for file store, redis for short term store(thing sessions))

There is a legit difference between them though.
I assume your coworker wasn't aware of it based on your reaction.

I can't comprehend the mindset that would abide the concept that voluntarily programming something in Javascript is a good idea. I weep for this industry.

"Arrow function" refers to the syntax. Anonymous functions aren't necessarily arrow functions.

>fantastic speed but with the ease of use Node.js provides
????????
>clean, simplistic syntax thanks to ES6 support
Ah yes more inconsistencies, thank you, future PHP.

Javascript in and of itself isn't that bad, it's just normally misused.

>JavaScript

Hahahahahhhahahahahahahah
haah
HAHhahAhahhaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHahahhh

>npm install
>100+ dependencies
>60% out of date

even a leaf wouldn’t aim this low to shitpost

>People are acting like there was never a language called PHP which has been around for decades

people are mad because we obviously didn’t learn from that mistake

PHP is actually good and isn't filled with cucks:
reddit.com/r/PHP/comments/4piv4i/phpfig_drama_continues_as_the_group_publicly/

>just as frontend js was getting bearable with frameworks like react, someone decides its a good fit for backend

i just cant understand what made it popular in the first place
>js is hands down a shit language
>framework is immature as fuck, dependencies break all the time
>python and ruby were already widely established in the same field
what does it offer over other languages?

for some reason webdev shitters like javascript
I have no idea why, but they are attached to it.

I'm pretty sure anyone who has ever used another programming language or done even a basic comp sci course detests JS and all its inconsistency, bloat, and sluggishness
but shitters like it more than python and ruby

MongoDB doesn't scale well, same with I think non-relational dbs in general.

To me SQL-dbs are like redux, sure you can go without using it but if you have the foresight to know how/if you want to scale it's good to have it from the beginning.

>for some reason webdev shitters like javascript
>I have no idea why

Try to think a little harder, the answer is obvious

it's not because they're stupid and js is also stupid

the language is literally poorly designed, hacked together, and counter intuitive
but somehow they're ATTRACTED to those things
why wouldn't a braindead "just want it to werk xd" programmer be more attracted to a language like Ruby that is not only simple but actually does what you want it to do, and well.

It doesn't matter that the language is bad, they were already proficient/familiar with it from years of working with it

that may be so, but the language itself isn't particularly good to begin with :-/

What is so bad abouyt php?

>Ruby

There are other languages that do what it does better and cleaner.

>a language like Ruby that is not only simple but actually does what you want it to do, and well.

Ruby is a programmer's best friend

>Ruby is a programmer's best friend
>allowing whores to fuck up your project by renaming libraries because MUHSOGINY

your and idiot

>fantastic speed
Is a good language for numerical computations?
If not, I do not care.

>not doing all computation by multiplying huge matrices in C

>not doing all your numerical computations with a shell script running matrix computations in n^3.

Because it's kikeware made so that trannies and niggers with learning disabilities can feel good about themselves.

Obvious bait. Sage and hide.
Also

holy shit I thought this was a joke

i use node at work cuz of that sweet sweet senior webdev pay atm, but honestly you can tell when somebody new on the team is nothing but a JS fuccboi who doesn;t have the slightest clue how computers work and just shit out code that gets the job done but never really excelling. But whatever its alright cuz these stupidass node based projects get LTS'd then dev stops after a few years and we all start anew on whatever the next big thing is..

fuck i hate my life

MongoDB != node.js
If you like your MySQL, you can keep your MySQL and node.js will work with it instead of MongoDB. node.js is a server side script like PHP or JSP. node.js is not a database (although and this is fun - you can have a database manager as a file CRUD coding in node.js).

Doesn't google use non relational db?

>>the BEST implementation of MongoDB out there

>the best implementation of one specific database

This is the worst b8 I've ever seen.

Mongo has a page showing who uses Mongo, google and facebook is included on that page. Wonder what they use it for

run a node app through snyk.io and marvel at all of the security vulnerabilities

>be entitled millennial brainlet
>refuse to learn a proper server side language
>make department switch entire stack to a weakly-typed interpreted shitlang with all sorts of quirks and 1,000x the overhead

I uninronically thought how much better it would have been if we could have Ruby in every browser instead of JS.
(Yes, I'm aware of stuff like Opal, but that's not what I'm talking about..)

I just think the object modell of JS is screwed and the metnal gymnastics you have to do for some basic tasks in JS are mindblowing.

Consider complicated, flawed and - let's be honest here - somehow flawed and buggy data structures of JS in comparison with the "everything just shines and works" data structures of Ruby. How convenient it would be..

Oh well, such is life..

The joke isn't over yet.
Just wait until they compile QML applications and its C++ base applications into web assembly and run that in electron.

I'd rather have Crystal in there, m8.
Or something else without JIT warmup.
It's already bad with JS and I guarantee you it won't get better with Ruby or Python.

This is actually true. Jesus fuck Christ millenials were a mistake

I don't think a compiled langauge makes sense for browsers. Most people don't get the actual computing time (aka. "number crunching") is rarely the bottle neck when it comes to networking.

If you think about more's law you'll notice that interpreted languages should become much faster every year. And if something like Ruby (which gets maintained by a bunch of guys and has almost no financial supprt from companies) would have had only half of the money and support of JS, Ruby with something like V8 would be great!

Oh well I'm pretty excited about Ruby3x3 which will probably have an "ahead of time compiler", but it will be realesead in 2020, because they just don't have the ressources to get it done earlier. Hopefully they get concurrency right, as promised..

Looks like bait.

Because my code quality matters

What part of my well-informed post is bait?

Educate yourself, plebeian.

is shit, use swoole

How common is to use a relationl database in a node.js project?

The web would have been much better if Eich just used Scheme instead

Alas

I use NodeJS on a production server and it's ok. It's not going to replace PHP or Ruby, it's just an alternative in my eyes.

also atom should die in a fire

>Educate yourself, plebeian.
Says the guy spouting "ahead of time compiler" and other nonsense. I bet you got that shit from the meme interview.
What they refer to is actually a bytecode cache for the bytecode compiler, btw.

Now to what else is wrong with your earlier post:
>I don't think a compiled langauge makes sense for browsers.
JS is already compiled.
>Most people don't get the actual computing time (aka. "number crunching") is rarely the bottle neck when it comes to networking.
Actually most people get that, they just don't want only do "networking" - or sending requests, how non-retards call it - in the browser but also build botnets, games and whatnot.
>If you think about more's law you'll notice that interpreted languages should become much faster every year.
That's so wrong on many levels, because Moore's law doesn't say anything about performance, just about transistor count. Also, computers won't get much faster from now on and bytecode interpreted languages are still 50x - 100x slower than compiled ones and that is in optimal cases.
>about financial support making V8 fast
Millions of dollars have already been wasted in trying to make Ruby and Python fast, including by Google itself. The latest things are PyPy and JRuby9000. The results are pretty clear: You get to decide between not that much more performance and meh tier latency or slightly better but still not really worth it performance and abysmal startup times and memory usage.
And unlike JS they fucked up thread safety, FFI and other aspects so badly there is no hope.

>being excited about Ruby 3x3
They will fail, just like anyone else before, unless they radically change language semantics. At that point, they are better of supporting Crystal.

TL;DR: Basically kys ur self.

>Scheme could have been finished today in a good way if Eich just used Scheme instead
ftfyy

Still respond to this kind of threads

>if you don't need ACID

So almost never? Who the fuck is okay with losing partial transactions when the database goes down (as it inevitably will someday)?

Fuck off leaf

>Even your updated dependencies have out of date dependencies of their own

Save me from this fresh hell

>you can have a database manager as a file CRUD coding in node.js

What?

>not using ayojs
fucking bigots

just code a js script to CRUD (create, read, update, delete) text files on the server directory somewhere and... voila, you've got a database albeit slow and very primitive but its a starting point. can then code some more features but you're essentially reinventing the wheel at this point.

Okay, but... why? Why would you ever do this instead of just using one of the many ACID-compliant relational databases that would be more scalable, more reliable, and more feature-rich than the crap you just hacked together on top of the file system?

This thread again

>mongodb instead of mysql
LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLL

it might be useful and faster for big chat apps. losing a message once in a blue moon probably isn't a big deal.

mongodb just isn't for critical stuff like credit card payment. for some other use cases it's better.

Like what

>mongodb
>literally has mong in the name

can't make this shit up

>trisomy21db
>ever
kys