It's actually quite impressive how non-native English speakers manage to speak/write English better than most Americans...

It's actually quite impressive how non-native English speakers manage to speak/write English better than most Americans desu. I mean if you overthink it, English is kind of an annoying language, what with so many words sounding the same, meaning different things, being spelled differently or the same etc. For example: can and can, would and wood, there/their/they're. Feel free to post more examples of English fuckery itt

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GgA5Gq_4ZMU
youtu.be/YLSliP2Ov-Q?t=1m21s
youtube.com/watch?v=r0IQCLQDfKw
youtube.com/watch?v=q1amUMIhCEI
youtube.com/watch?v=cFSERNfT6N8
youtube.com/watch?v=yqaQ92WHRpk
youtube.com/watch?v=uIHjEzXlhZk
youtube.com/watch?v=ilPU2J4LTWk
youtube.com/watch?v=m0v2e436BE0
youtube.com/watch?v=_OkF7L_pPvU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Most Americans should be ashamed of themselves but 90% of America are the worst kind of plebs. They give no fucks about anything but having the latest Apple product or twerking while eating literal garbage.

Practice makes perfect. At some point not being native just stops mattering maybe except for accent

Should of

>what with so many words sounding the same, meaning different things, being spelled differently or the same etc
lol

It's relatively easy as is. Would rather learn and become fluent in English than other random European languages. Imagine having to learn French/German as business language. True nightmare.

This
English is pretty easy to learn

English is one of the easiest languages in the world. No case system, simple grammatics and very clear rules. Slavic languages are just a hellish mess compared to it.

I've always been under the impression French/German don't have shit like

>right
>write

>dear
>deer

>here
>hear

I'm sure that gets difficult as a non-native speaker, right?

Most languages have their own fuckery, even more complex than english. In fact english is quite simple and logic, easy to get a grasp on it desu

English is kinda easy on that t b h

Kuusi palaa.

Tuuli tuli tullista.

which Swedish dialect does the tongue roll thing? I've recently learned how to do that (kinda) but I've noticed most Swedes don't do it.

English is easy because it lacks some very autistic aspects other languages have.

i only have problems with "the","would" and "could" sometimes

>90%
Let me guess, you think you're one of the special snowflakes in the 10%?

>th sound

Doesn't matter because he is right

in French it makes a 'ch' sound, right?

t. retard

>kuusi palaa

Germans can't pronounce th sounds so they say "ze" or "de"

What do you mean? :o

English is very easy to learn but comes at the cost of inexpressivity and ambiguity.

Finnish.

I can assure you 90% of the posters here will have a terrible accent.

Just like the British have a terrible accent.

Do you mean something like this? -> youtube.com/watch?v=GgA5Gq_4ZMU

>Six return
>Spruce is on fire
>Six pieces
>Your moon is burning

We usually replace it with "z" or "f"
For example "the" = "ze" and "think" = "fink"

Anyone who doesn't live in the south. (Skåne and neighboring regions)

like at 1:21
youtu.be/YLSliP2Ov-Q?t=1m21s

It's kinda subtle but it's the only example I could find. Usually it's at the beginning of a word, not at the end though.

I've heard "think" become "sink"/"zink" plenty.

Articles are the last bastion of english shit I'm yet to conquer. Like, seriously, the rules for article usage are TOO FUCKING VAGUE. The words 'definite/indefinite' are entirely up to personal interpretation.
Solution: get rid of an 'a/an' article. Its pointless, 'the' has its place and function, and it also sounds cool

>I can assure you 90% of the posters here will have a terrible accent.
So do Americans

ah, that would make sense because I've only ever been in the South. Actually never been outside of Stockholm/Uppsala :(

>inexpressivity and ambiguity

maybe you just have poor vocabulary? And you're trying to convert your thoughts from swedish to english, there aren't going to be 100% analogous words, so you think of it as inferior.

kek typical Russki

100% not true.

youtube.com/watch?v=r0IQCLQDfKw

the hardest thing when speaking English is the "th" sound and getting V and W right, when it comes to writing it's breddi easi :DDDD

do you consider those places to be the south? I've never met a northerner desu

>Göteborska
youtube.com/watch?v=q1amUMIhCEI

Americans don't have an accent.

youtube.com/watch?v=cFSERNfT6N8

>"Vadifrån kommer du?"
>"Stockholm"
>"dra åt helvete"

lol

"sink" maybe but not "zink"

A lot of times it's not clearly pronounced though, even by northerners.
But for words that start with R you should hear it.

I consider them south since I'm from Norrbotten, but Stockholm is generally considered middle Sweden.

;-)

i have no Friends so I always talk to myself in English role playing in different English accents.
I'm always a black man when angry for example

you're a/the shit, user ;)

youtube.com/watch?v=yqaQ92WHRpk

I consider that Stockholm should be destroyed.

what

>I'm always a black man when angry for example

I was taught German & French in parallell from when I was around five so probably not

Pretty objective observation

I've been thinking about how it would be if the US was Swedish-speaking instead of English-speaking.

I really dislike people from Stockholm desu. Unfortunately I don't have any friends from outside of the area ;-;

>tfw no Värmland friend

We're past the napalm solution at this point, we should consider deploying anthrax.

>I'm always a black man when angry for example
I become an Italian-American wise guy when I'm pissed.

I agree that definite and indefinite can be up to interpretation, but generally 'the' is used for a SPECIFIC noun. Like there is no question about what you are referring to. A/an can be any unspecified noun. Also, 'A' is used in front of consonants (a car, a dog). 'An' is used in front of vowels or vowel sounds, such as honor or apple. Hopefully this helps ruskibro

>"eye" and "i" are phonetically equal
>"ph" is used as a substitute for the letter f - something that no one can justify
>the j sound is always spelled with a y even though y is a vowel and j is a consonant sound
>"th" represents two completely different sounds.

It's because natives learn to speak "Casual English" which could be considered a different language from "Proper English" which is what non-native learn.

Casual English doesn't follow the exact same rules as Proper English, allowing things that would be considered mistakes in proper English. Linguistically though, it's fine to speak in Casual English, there's nothing incorrect about it.

Plus making mistakes in the language that a non-native wouldn't make is a sign of full fluency as it shows complete mastery. You know where to bend the rules inherently and continue speaking without worrying about the mistake.

>Articles are the last bastion of english shit I'm yet to conquer.
Same thing, but articles aren't particular to the English language, German, Spanish and French have them too. It us who are rather the exception.

they don't use the internet

>mistakes are a sign of complete mastery

Found the 08.

It's true though, there's certain things that would be considered mistakes that a non-native would never make, but a native would. But the important thing here is even with those mistakes the native speaker is still understood and keeps talking as if he didn't make them. They're not mistakes in a linguistic sense, but I mean things that would be considered mistakes by the casual speaker.

Do you mean pronouncing them? Would sounds the same as wood, but with a shorter 'u' sound, same with could.

I have literally no clue about the English grammar.
It's kinda like with German, I can speak it because I grew up with it but I have no idea of the structures behind it.
I've been speaking English for more years of my life now than I haven't and it has kinda become a second native language of sorts. I got the foundations in school but the rest was picked up naturally by immersing in it and consuming it daily.
Might be a good thing or not, I don't know.
I often get told I sound like a gay guy talking like a girl so maybe I was consuming the wrong kind of media during an important stage of learning...

God I miss Sweden so much ;-;

I'd kill to live out in the country of Värmland desu
youtube.com/watch?v=uIHjEzXlhZk

French just better

English has so weird accents, so I'd rather understand French speech

youtube.com/watch?v=ilPU2J4LTWk

>its
>it's

American, nigger, faggot, fat ass sound absolutely the same to me. How do you even differ one from another?

>I often get told I sound like a gay guy talking like a girl so maybe I was consuming the wrong kind of media during an important stage of learning...
Don't worry. That's just the German accent.

But ph as an f is common in French and German and possibly other languages too? There's gotta be a reason behind it
(The French most likely)

>sound like a gay guy talking like a girl
i think that's just the german accent

No need to be so rude.

>värmland
more like
>gayland

hahaha aa

French is so better in acents, so easier. If I would have a wordcase in it which compared with mine in English - I would be fluent in French now.

I sound French according to all the Americans I have ever talked to.
I don't have a German accent, I can safely say that myself.

nah, I'm from Luleå

inland people (especially from the south) are just laughably trashy

the best English
youtube.com/watch?v=m0v2e436BE0

the worst English
youtube.com/watch?v=_OkF7L_pPvU

German accent is horrible. Germans that speak swedish is fucking cringe-tier.

>For example: can and can, would and wood, there/their/they're
It's not that big of a deal actually... There's not many words that sound the exact same.
The hardest thing is pronouncing everything naturally, with ease.

Being a Swede you're walking on thin ice here.

i think he's referring to the conditional tense
but i don't know finnish so i don't know if they have different rules than english
that's the case with the russian . they don't have articles in their language so they have problems with that

Swedes are some of the best people in Europe desu

Says the fucking dutchman

>>"eye" and "i" are phonetically equal
etymological spellings rather than phonetic, i would be pronounced more like "ee" in more phonetic spellings

>>"ph" is used as a substitute for the letter f - something that no one can justify
greek loan words

>the j sound is always spelled with a y even though y is a vowel and j is a consonant sound
historical accident where j and y both represented similar sounds, but in English y came to dominate as the j sound whereas in most other languages j came to dominate it.

>>"th" represents two completely different sounds.
most English speakers aren't aware they are two different sounds even though we all pronounce them differently

Does Jämtland count as southern to you seemen up north?

gentlemen, please
both your languages sound horrible
no need to fight

>Paragay

The Swedish accent sounds gay as fuck. The Dutch accent is just laid back.

Why are Japanese so bad at English accents even when they have a solid knowledge of the language itself?
I blame katakana.
It needs to be eradicated from the English curriculum.

MAKE JAPAN GREAT AGAIN

You don't even have a language.

Not really, it's middle.

It's derived from Greek you dummy.
I am not a Greek btw

The whole world is American. We speak the language of our empire, and get punished at school if we don't talk perfectly like our masters.

Thank you worrying about English education in Japan
However Japanese has only 5 vowels, so in nature English pronunciation is difficult to us

Cheap excuse.
You don't want to try and use silly Katakana to transcribe the pronunciation.