/wdg/ - Web Development General

>Previous thread
>Free resources to get started
Get a good understanding of HTML, CSS and JavaScript.
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn - a good introduction (independent of your browser choice)
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - General documentation for HTML, CSS & JavaScript
freecodecamp.com/
codecademy.com/

>Further resources
github.com/iRaul/awesome-portfolios - Portfolio examples
github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap - Roadmap
stackoverflow.com/ - Developers asking questions and helping each other

>Tools
jsfiddle.net/ - Use this and post a link, if you need help with your code
caniuse.com/ - Check browser support for front-end web technologies

Other urls found in this thread:

unicode-table.com/en/search/?q=arrow
google.de/search?q=fetch send password
rphilipsen.nl/blog/
rphilipsen.nl/blog/when-security-is-completely-ignored-teechip
rphilipsen.nl/blog/themes/Rphilipsen.nl/css/style.css
ebookee.pro/pro-asp-net-core-mvc-2/
stackoverflow.com/questions/3459236/fastest-scripting-programming-language
gist.github.com/anonymous/4ef2b362c9344195450f60cb964806c8
benchmarksgame.alioth.debian.org/u64q/compare.php?lang=node&lang2=php
docs.docker.com/engine/userguide/networking/work-with-networks/
gtapojyoti.cu.ma/limelight
medium.com/@peterxjang/modern-javascript-explained-for-dinosaurs-f695e9747b70
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

first for electron was a mistake

why the reddit meme though

only for poorfag PCs. works great on my machine™

Need help with this, if someone doesn't mind

fuck man, did you guys ever check how many unicode arrows there are?
unicode-table.com/en/search/?q=arrow

did you even google at all?
google.de/search?q=fetch send password

that's a shit pic OP
What will /dpt/ think of us now

I did. Is this what I'm supposed to be looking at?

Did some work on my personal site,
somehow the CSS isnt loading for articles

CSS is loading in properly for the blog
rphilipsen.nl/blog/

But not for articles like:
rphilipsen.nl/blog/when-security-is-completely-ignored-teechip

even though i use the exact same code to lazy-load the CSS in.

anyone have a clue?

Is this the right thread to discuss Spring and Enterprise Java

Cause I'm getting the feeling that it's not

>CSS is loading in properly for the blog
>rphilipsen.nl/blog/

It's not though, literally 404s when trying to load your css

Chances are it's still cached in your browser locally for your front page so you don't notice that shit is broken

heh, thats probably why.
guess the base url isnt being picked up for the links

>guess the base url isnt being picked up for the links

what

rphilipsen.nl/blog/themes/Rphilipsen.nl/css/style.css

is literally a 404

Check, fixed it tyvm

It seems like a huge step backwards

>the issue is that some people’s computers don’t have enough ram or cpu cycles to waste on fundamentally inefficient software

You’re part of the problem.

Yea, it was supposed to ignore the /blog/,
something went wrong in my backend

I guess so.
Is the info with the authorization header not what you are looking or?
if it can be opened in the browser

waste what exactly?

most of the shit being solved in electron is going to be sleeping like 90% of the time and I doubt that you need it to be particularly fast when it isn't sleeping

>ebookee.pro/pro-asp-net-core-mvc-2/
Is this all I need to create wonderful web applications?

web app. Sure.
Wonderful. Nop.

Why?

Hey guys I'm close to finishing a web dev bootcamp and I've started applying to a bunch of places in the bay area. Any advice to make the process a little less painful?

I need an app idea, something achievable for someone new to the MERN stack. About to go bed but will check back in the morning and write note all ideas for consideration. Just to help me learn/expand knowledge.

Kill yourself.

read this sentence.

thanks.

Does everyone who uses Meteor regret it?

Drop the M in MERN and implement a tool to do some basic data analysis with SQLite.

I need a quick reply guys. From a true Sup Forumsentooman. I'm trying to create an imageboard
Which languages should i use for my backend? Is PHP and SQL all i need? Is that the standard? I think node.js is bloat btw

try some web scraping with cheerio and request. rip articles from websites you check news for

fastest server side scripting language??

Are you going to create it yourself? I'm pretty sure the software eight chan uses is open source.

If you interest is in owning a chan site just use that software. The code you write likely won't be better.

If you are going to write it yourself, don't use php use node.js. The 'bloat' of node doesn't effect the backend (as much). Node.js is more modern and more community supported than

PHP is often times a pain to work with to. Debugging it sucks.

Can you explain what you want to do? If execution speed is critical you may want to use a lower level language like C++.

For most applications though a normal high level language will work fine.

>Are you going to create it yourself?
Yes
>The code you write likely won't be better.
It's going to be 3x more lightweight than 8ch
>PHP is often times a pain to work with to. Debugging it sucks.

I think i'm gonna use Python.

Yeah, mainly execution speed.
I heard that C is the fastest for it
stackoverflow.com/questions/3459236/fastest-scripting-programming-language

if you are going to use python use django over flask.

I think you are making a mistake though famalam. Node.js is where it's at.

You will get bottle-necked by your Database if you are doing anything significant.

Rarely is the actually response time dependent on your language of choice. A properly written python web server will sail past any improperly written c++ one.

I want my site to be javascript free. I just want to know the fastest server side scripting language and the fastest database

C++ the same as C in terms of execution speed. They both compile to byte code. If you are going to use one of the two use c++ because it is (somewhat) more modern.

>What language should I use
followed up by
>It's going to be 3x more lightweight
doesnt really instill confidince. Do us a favor and don't try to shill it around until it's actually done. "It's a work in progress" imageboards are a dime a dozen. Finish it, then present it. Otherwise you're just looking for attention. Don't be that guy.

>I want my site to be javascript free.

Even on the frontend??

If your concern is speed than PHP probably is faster than python. I'm not sure though look that up first.

Okay thanks, what about for the database? Which one should i use?

some retard on /tech/ is already working on a failed Infinity Next clone that uses Django. might be a good starting point for you.

you can make a website that doesn't use javascript on the client, even if you use node.js on the server

>They both compile to byte code.
they compile to native code

bytecode is what things like java use

Yeah, even the front end. It's mostly gonna be the backend doing the work.
It's not going to be a typical imageboard, gonna have a totally new layout. I don't want to keep going on cause of this guy

i hate javascript too but i don't think it's practical man

>what about for the database?

I have no idea desu. I'd google database benchmarks. You will want it hosted on the same server as your site for the latency.

you know what I meant guy

It's ironic

Hm

looks like you've got a winner.

Dont know what (tab) is though in relation toe postgres.

if you gotta go fast you want to cache as many things as you can in memory, so try to put everything into redis if you don't hve too much to store, else cache some stuff in it and fetch the rest in regular rdbms

My laravel views generator from database tables
gist.github.com/anonymous/4ef2b362c9344195450f60cb964806c8

If you want your site to be fast, run it using PHP7, nginx, postgresql and redis. You should at least consider using JavaScript to register a service worker so that page content is cached on the client side resulting in less server load.

V8 powered javascript is pretty much the fastest that I've seen in any meaningful benchmark.

probably some joinless table mode?

i too would like to know.

Seems like i need 2 more things? nigx and redis?
Proof? I think i might just stick to php

Julia is seeing limited use in backend scripting

Need a linux distro mainly for web development.
Any recommendation?
I'm thinking about trying GeckoLinux.

Fedora 27

why does it have to be a scripting language? but ya as far as mainstream scripting languages, js/node

honestly is sounds like you should learn how to build some basic sites first user

benchmarksgame.alioth.debian.org/u64q/compare.php?lang=node&lang2=php

lua/openresty, you won't be the popular kid but it does not get better than that. Right in your nginx.conf
you can write JS handlers too though, or even java/groovy/closure

sup guys. I've been doing alot of dev work in react but i've never actually needed to build a static site till now. As someone whos proficient in css/js/html whats the quickest and best way to build a static site? I've used jekyll before but is there a better way than just using a templater?

>They both compile to byte code.

either the best bait ever, or you are in no place giving advices

hawbau none? Active content goes in the memory, archive to whatever even plain files

debian or fedora
install dwm or i3
get ranger
make love to Vim

>They both compile to byte code

is it truly possible to learn enough web development from free sources to get a decent or better paying job?

I have zero programming or development experience and I'm in an area without a lot of options but the Internet. I know le innernet hate machine so I'm sorry to ask a dumb question but has anyone done it?

Any useful free courses/certifications/etc that can get me started toward getting a real job doing this?

It's definitely possible. Web development is fairly easy to get the hang of.

I'd recommend getting a raspberry pi and trying to make a simple website. You can even use something like noip to get a real domain name for a limited time. After that it's just a matter of finding a way to prove to potential employers that you actually know this stuff.

What's a good url for cloaked links? For example /out/, /go/, /link/, /to/

What do you guys prefer?

It's actually fairly easy to do, because a lot of the old guard are self-taught. But if you teach it yourself it's good to have an online portfolio of things you made. So they can see what you've done.

Not that guy, with a related question: how do you stay motivated to learn? I can read a chapter in a book one day, and the next day I'm back to shitposting all day.

is the raspberry pi for building a server so i can play around with my webdev skills? what os should the piserver run on?

thanks for the quick response

guys noone need free javascript worker?

You can't learn it from a book. You have to start a project and use books and online guides as a reference. Only once you get the hang of it the books start to make sense and you can learn the best practices. And you'll realize you did everything wrong.

Today everything is on the internet. You can literally become a senior developer from your basement, if you put in the effort.

> le innernet hate machine

Son..
don't go full retard again, k?

>Any useful free courses/certifications/etc that can get me started toward getting a real job doing this?

Here's the webdev road map.

Stage 1:
Learn your JS and backend meme language of choice.
Learn some theory (MVC, MVVM, client-server architecture).
Learn a tad about security (SSL, https, ports and so on).
Make your own website, get into logging, monitor traffic, find and fix bottle necks.

Stage 2:
Get into github, contibute to some projects that need help.
Get enough good boy points on github and create a linked-in profile.
Spam "be my BFF" invitations on linked in.

Stage 3:
Get phoned/mailed by headhunters.
When called just spam every buzzword you ever heard of.
Get invitation to interview.

Stage 4:
Meet HR, answer the usual START questions.
Finally meet the devs, show em you are a humble, hardworking guy that can take orders.
Get job.

Stage 5:
Change job as soon as a oportunity arises until you find something that is cool and challenging for you.

Stage 6:
Live long and in prosper.

there are a bunch of youtube tutorials on setting up a raspi to be a web server, they usually always use Raspbian

I set up an achievable but not easily achievable goal. For example make a lightweight but nice looking website about something. After that you can build on the website by cleaning up the code or introducing a new feature.

Basically the key is to continually build on what you've done in managable steps.

Yes, you can use the pi as a cheap LAMP server (or just apache if you're planning on making a simple website). It's a good way to do something with results which really helps to learn.
I run raspbian lite but for a pi webserver it doesn't really matter. I'd recommend raspbian since there's a lot of support for it.

You don't need a pi to learn web development but it's a neat thing to get running once you've got the hang of making nice websites.

geocities 2.0, or try to do wacky shit on codepen

* = Meet HR, answer the usual STAR-questions.

Protip:
If you really want to outperform 90% of all webdevs:
-read a few RFCs (i.e. 7230, 7231)
-read the ECMA script specification

what are those

You used a Star Trek quote and a meme from last decade to call someone else a retard because the guy was self aware enough to know his newbie question might get ragged on by intellectual elitist NEETs whose one accomplishment in life is trying to feel smarter than other people on line.

You should've told him it was nothing personnel, kid

the RFCs go into the nitty gritty details of HTTP
eczemascript is a standardized version of the clusterfuck that is javascript
(you could've googled this stuff m8)

Thank you for taking the time to answer. I could've spent time Googling this and sifting through information but it's good to get direct information from people interested in it who aren't trying to sell me their $10 Udemy course for Node fundamentals.

docker network

what is this shit? why would I want it?
docs.docker.com/engine/userguide/networking/work-with-networks/

Any of you who are PHP pros and willing to hook up with me and start a new project together?

React sites can be static though.
Static just means, that the site consists of a bunch of unchanging files, that can be directly served by a webserver, without any need for ssr or templating.
>whats the quickest and best way to build a static site?
Really use what works best/fastest for you.
If you don't need declarative rendering, then you can still use React components for templating, pre-render everything and just use the HTML output and discarding the associated JS, if the view state isn't supposed to change.
I did the same with Vue before.
Much prefer it to templating with Pug and the likes.

I'm on board, I need something presentable to pad my resume with.

/wdg/ is such a strange place, devs outnumber ideas guys.

Non webdev here.

The whole package manager nightmare is something that puts me off webdev a lot. How feasible is it to stay away from node, react, etc. and work in 'pure' JS? I'd probably be okay with Jquery too, but some of the other libraries seem to go off into this ungodly territory.

I obviously meant machine code you fag

pajeet here, sorry for namefagging, but gtapojyoti.cu.ma/limelight is made with Javascript, jquery and bootstrap, maybe you can stick to those. front end only though. also, any opinions would be nice. don't ddos pls

What the problem with the package manager?

It's a pain in the ass to get used to the whole node environment but imo you are going to severely limit yourself trying to stick to jQuery and normal js

keep in mind that npm was created to solve a specific problem, not to make things harder.
If you only base your opinion on some memeposts on here, then it would be worth to rethink it.

Is your problem ultimately with package management or libraries themselves?
You can write everything from scratch, but prepare to reinvent the wheel '''a lot'''
>How feasible is it to stay away from node, react, etc. and work in 'pure' JS?
Node is just a JS runtime. You use it if you want to write your backend in JS and don't use it if you want to use PHP, Go or whatever else instead.
The libraries featuring declarative rendering like React or Vue are more like the next step after jQuery, allowing you to define how your site should be displayed according to it's data state.
You can do the exact same thing with vanilla (jQuery is entirely obsolete in 2017), but prepare to inevitably end up with lots of spaghetti unless you know 100% how to organize your project from the very start.
Really do what you feel is right, but a simple node_modules folder in your project directory isn't the end of the world and same goes for any other package manager.

It just seems like there's always a new hotness going around, and people throw everything away and jump ship. Or people get really attached to a particular framework and can't adapt. I figure learning about the layer underneath these, upon which they're built, would be a more flexible way of getting by. Sure, it might require more work to get some things together, but at least you would have control and understanding of what's going on without all the bloat and dependencies - or so the reasoning goes.

Can somebody explain me OP's image

Thanks. I'll need to look more into it all before I can make any decisions, I just don't want to waste my time, or anybody else's, by learning a framework that's going to be obsolete soon. I dislike what seems to be a model of keeping up with the latest language in webdev.

Of course, I haven't entered the area at all, so this is largely based on discussing with people who are involved, reading articles online, and doing very small personal experimentation.

But I really appreciate your straight forward response, thanks.

it makes fun of 9gag circlejerk memes and reminds us of the emptiness and pointlessness of our lives at the same time

It's more about learning the architecture imo. A lot of these tools are doing the same thing just slightly differently.

>Angular vs. react
>Mocha vs Jest vs Karma
>Webpack vs Browserify vs Babel
>Grunt vs Gulp

Once you understand the basic framework of how these dev environments work it's easier to use them.

This article helped me grasp the big picture of the modern js dev environment.

medium.com/@peterxjang/modern-javascript-explained-for-dinosaurs-f695e9747b70

Cheers

>the power of JS sites

Are there any sites similar to unsplash where I can just steal other people's images and use/edit them myself and put on a site and I won't be raped by some autistic company?

I guess a better question is do professional style web devs who are freelancers just use royalty free images or do they take their own images too or is it a mix?

Most of the top google results are shit, by similar to unsplash I mean like proper photography and decent images

Pexels