The computer in a keyboard form factor needs to come back

The computer in a keyboard form factor needs to come back.

Other urls found in this thread:

corsair.com/en-us/landing/k70-rgb
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

why do you feel that way, OP? it does not seem like a good idea to me

discrete hardware that can be used on any monitor. Its for people who dont want a laptop but dont want a full size desktop tower.

apple could price it in between the mac mini and imac.

Then people need to buy it when it's made available. There were a number of Chinese manufacturers who tried this with both baytrail and cherrytrail systems. Not enough people bought them for the companies to make successors. Sounds like zero significant interest in the marketplace to me

Baka! Makes more sense as a monitor.

but then if the monitor breaks you are without a computer.

>He doesn't change out his own panel

but it's easier to spill liquids on a keyboard which would kill the computer.

>drinking near a computer

Lenovo can make it then. thinkpads are waterproof.

Why not just make a phone-sized computer that a keyboard, monitor, and exterior battery pack can all plug into?

Can USB OTG charge and use devices at the same time? Cause I'd like a mechanical keyboard with a built in power bank I can use with any tablet.

corsair.com/en-us/landing/k70-rgb

yes, but only with a powered hub.

>what are cooling issues

Im sorry. can you please show me where macbooks have cooling issues?

Just use one of those intel compute sticks

>Buy laptop
>Remove top half
There's your computer-in-a-keyboard

most laptops do it just fine.
And if you don't have to worry about battery, weight, or thickness you can get some pretty good computers in that form factor.
They still make them, just only very few businesses want them so they're expensive as shit.
There's also some cheap Chinese ones. VWestlife has a video on two of them.

Seems very niche but not completely pointless.

Why not just make a phone sized device that you can plug a power supply, motherboard, monitor, graphics, RAM, storage, add a CPU on it and put it in a case?
Oh wait it's called building a fucking PC.

actually thats pretty cool op... i have been using my logitech dinovo edge for a decade and you just made me realise i could probably fit an ARM multicore in it and run a respectable "nix desktop.... crazy...

Isn’t that from a Mac?

Hah, I'm using the exact same UK keyboard to type this (mbp 13 2015).

I used to have this keyboard but the battery died :(

so put in a new one

I've been thinking of doing this with a T420s for a bit. It has all the ports on the back for the proper feel.

lol

It is a bad idea for too many reasons.
The only point in time when this was viable was before laptops existed.
Nowadays the concept is entirely irrelevant, "productivity" people do not care since a laptop is just as big and can be used everywhere and the people who care about performance don't care either for obvious reasons.

It is the price and performance of a laptop without the only reason why people actually buy laptops. Every company knows that the market isn't bigger then ten or a hundred thousand people.

Especially Apple does not care.

My Dinovo edge battery died and so did the charging circuit (which is documented as being shit)

Peel back back the orange sticky back with a hairdryer and there are 20 screws.

The battery is the size and pin layout of an old Nokia phone. But as I said my charging circuit was dead so I just soldered in a battery from a cheap RC coaxial helicopter I crashed. I hooked the battery also to the charging pins. I charge the keyboard from the wall helicopter lipo charger - through the original dock ! Total hack ! Been going good for 5+ years since the mod. Just picked up a spare Dinovo from a friend whose son decided to pop off and eat a few keys. Plan to keep using it into the 2030's.

> ywn the feeling of controlling a 115 db (c) subwoofer from the couch with that glossy black touch volume slider.... Hhhhnnggg

Couldn't you just rip the screen off any old laptop and feed the video to your TV with one of those USB dongles?

this, to be onest senpai

yes, i've done that with two laptops whos screen broke

I wonder how much power you could make if you made the keyboard generate power as you type.

Or even a peltier thermoelectric couple powered by muh di *cough* I mean my lap.

Just tape a NUC on a keyboard