PowerPC Challenge

forums.macrumors.com/threads/second-annual-winter-powerpc-challenge-january-1-8-2018.2078651/

So why aren't you participating Sup Forums?

installing debian in one. not much of a difference with what i am using in x86 i think.

also, what kind of retarded challenge is that?

I used my G5 until 2012, I think I put in my time already.

I've been using a G5 as a daily driver since 2004. Upgraded to the G5 Quad this year when the old first-gen died.

>he needs a challenge to use a PowerPC machine
top pleb

Honest question, are PowerPC chips still made and what the fuck uses PowerPC?

Leave Sup Forums and never come back.

I'm not talking about POWER chips, I'm talking about PowerPC, which are two different things

It merged back with POWER and is still used on IBM's big irons.

NASA. the curiosity rover uses a rad hardened version of the chip from the iMac G3.

PowerPC?
For military and scientific purposes, yes.

thanks

Because even Sup Forums causes my dual 450 tower and 550 PB to struggle and the hard drive in my 1.33 iBook is dying.
Not to mention the clusterfuck that is posting with Classilla and the non-JS captcha.

>dual 450 tower and 550 PB
Ahahaha.

My quad G5 works fine.

No shit, its a fucking quad G5. If i wanted dickwaving PPC power I'd get one of those but i prefer G4 machines that dont look like boring slabs of shit.

Speaking of old Macs, I torrented Snow Leopard the other day and installed it in VirtualBox on a Debian host on my ThinkPad. Even with setting the VM to use 10GB of RAM, the web still works like crap. This is after testing with Safari and Firefox 48, because every other browser I tried to install wasn't even compatible.

I just wanted to try the Mac interface for once, but before Steve Jobs started to get sick and Tim Cook's bullshit started to set in.

Without proper graphics acceleration it performs like shit. If you manage to get VirtualBox Additions working, it might be better. Consider buying a cheap Mac Mini or 2006-7 Mac Pro.

But the G5 towers look gorgeous

>But the G5 towers look gorgeous
They do but i like the "quirk" of the G4 design more.

I'd fuck around with the idea if I had a good PPC project system worthy of dedicating my desk to but my G5s are all entry-spec shit and my good dual 1 GHz Quicksilver has self-immolating cache modules that fail every other week. Old versions of OS X are kind of shittily supported too and OS 9 is too basic bitch-tier for remote work.
I'll stick to shitposting from HP-UX.
Posting without JS isn't terrible when you get in the flow of it, usually I just write my posts in a text editor and push them through.
I wonder if you could multi-thread Classilla to any capacity to take advantage of the Mystic hardware, TFF is definitely a lost cause on that kind of gear though.

I've long wanted to do a full on build inside one of these sex masheen cases.

There are a lot of considerations to make and I just cannot be bothered, though.

>you can use amiga for a week

this is cheating

kek

Unless I setup cross-compiling distcc it would take the whole week just to update my gentoo installation and then the challenge would be over.

Yes, but... can I only use PowerPC software?
I have a Blizzard PPC accelerator custom fitted on my A600 with an ACA500 but also with a Vampire.

I could use only software compiled for the Vampire with the PowerPC just sitting there.