What is the best Systemdless distro?

Would love to know your thoughts on which one of these is best.
So far I've tried Gentoo and Void. Gentoo is obviously a bitch to install, but then again theres all that customization and flags and shit. Void feels really speedy and fairly stable too.

Other urls found in this thread:

cloveros.ga/s/CloverOS-x86_64-20171117.iso
github.com/orgs/voidlinux/people
jdebp.eu/FGA/run-scripts-and-service-units-side-by-side.html
slackwiki.com/Minimal_System
twitter.com/AnonBabble

also, feel free to bring up any distro I didn't put in the pic

Feel free to post this shit in the relevant general >>>/fglt/

/thread

I love Gentoo. The customization I get with USE flags is fantastic.

OpenBSD

GuixSD (if you love anything with GNU prefix), Alpine, *BSD
Gentoo is dead (again), Arch sucks with syndromd and is even shittier without it, Void has like... 2 developers.

in what way is gentoo dead? it seems quite healthy

Artix because of up to date packages, the AUR and it being easy to install.

Void has a weird package manager
Devuan is Debian 8 so old as shit packages
Gentoo needs to compile a bunch of shit
Funtoo is slightly better but has slightly older packages like Debian
Haven't tried GuixSD, that was going to be my next distro if I found Artix to be shit

>install debian
>sudo rm -rf /lib/systemd
>never reboot
Still better than the alternatives.

Kek

Install Slackware.

But it's still in wam

But you're still running it.
It's completely pointless.

Devuan is dead?

Why a broken Debian when you can have Devuan?

Guix, but hardware support and general stability isn't quite there yet.
I like void for day to day usage.

cloveros.ga/s/CloverOS-x86_64-20171117.iso

Install Exherbo.

FreeBSD

Gentoo. Most funtoo packages are broken (except for their version of emerge, which should be used on gentoo - in fact, I use funtoo installer and just set all sources to gentoo nowadays).
Guix doesn't have enough packages and its anti-nonfree attitude is tiring (though it is Right). Artix, probably shit, never heard of it. Void does a bunch of stupid shit but isn't bad from what I can tell.

Gentoo/funtoo are the only stable distro I've ever used, systemd or no systemd.

Funtoo.

>Most funtoo packages are broken
My condolences on your retardation.

They're well-known issues that have been known for years. Get a brain moron.

I'm running void, it has like two devs but just werks on my machine.

Artix is the best, but the website is down for some reason

OP here

kek

Yeah if you have the patience, Gentoo and Funtoo are probably some of the better options here. Those USE flags and CFLAGS allow you to make your system to your exact autistic preferences.

>cuck license

GuixSD looks nice for both that reason, and because it uses Shepherd, which I don't think anything else uses right now.
I've seen people talk about Alpine here and there. Sounds quite comfy with the whole busybox thing.
I also agree with this user . How exactly is Gentoo dead?
Void's small team is a good point. I have no problem using a niche distro, but I hear some of their packages are a bit outdated as a result of being both small and completely independent.

Alpine is very dysfunctional because of busybox actually. Lots of incompatibilities all over the place.

>2 devs
not really github.com/orgs/voidlinux/people

>Void does a bunch of stupid shit
like what?

I've used arch in the past, so Artix should feel similar, aside from the obvious difference in init system.
Does Funtoo really have old packages? I was under the assumption that Gentoo and Funtoo were pretty close in that regard. Granted, if there's a faster option similar to Debian's testing branch, it shouldn't be too much of an issue.
Be aware that if you're going to try GuixSD, it's made by GNU and is a Stallman-Approved distro. On the one hand, there's absolutely no botnet, but on the other, if your system has any hardware that needs nonfree drivers or something, you won't find them on GuixSD.

Dedotated

I'm really just waiting for documentation to improve on GuixSD. I had a hard time figuring out what the fuck was going on with the Lisp config file thing. Mainly the file-systems part. Am I supposed to include my separate boot partition? Should it be before the included root partition info? etc.

>Cuck license

That sucks. I guess if that's still a big issue, I'll be avoiding Funtoo.

>You are the maker of a distro
>You design it around busybox
>Shit still breaks
How? You'd think they'd try to fix problems like that.

It's because most packages have implicit dependencies on the intricacies of non-busybox systems, it's not entirely their fault but they should obviously have been more careful.

That's what I'm talking about. I know most stuff is made with the implication that GNU coreutils will be used, but if you're making your whole distro around busybox, you should try to ensure that your packages will actually work.

>>Cuck license
Are you going to be developing anything for the FreeBSD project? If not, then its license doesn't affect you anyway.

>Devuan is Debian 8 so old as shit packages
The Stable release is, yes. But they have a Testing and Unstable just like Debian.

systemd is the best :---D

>Yeah if you have the patience,
You could just copy the Live image and updated without changing a thing. Gentoo's complexity comes from how autistic you want to be. You could just bootstrap clover and compile everything too.

Is there a benchmark comparing all these init system? systemd should be the fastest, but who'd be the second?

GuixSD needs specific USE flags to be the perfect distro.

>Gentoo is obviously a bitch to install
What are you doing on Sup Forums?

Does it really matter?
Nothing else even comes close.

It does. If this is one of its main features it should be something the other alternatives should explore in order to gain traction.

Being fast isn't a feature, its a consequence of being made well.

Other script based inits are built poorly from the ground up with hacks on top of hacks and that's why they suck and are slow, systemd does everything and keeps it streamlined.

It does when the OS doesn't ever receive meaningful updates.

t. literal inbred.

Never seen a comprehensive and recent benchmark of these, but here's something debunking the idea that just because sysvinit scripts were too long, systemd had to be the only solution.
jdebp.eu/FGA/run-scripts-and-service-units-side-by-side.html

never used GuixSD, but run Nixos on everything. declarative system configuration is the 'right' way to do it.

Go to sleep, Poettering. You are dunk.

Now debunk .mount and .automount units vs fstab.

lol... debunking that systemd isn't better...

(You)

Manjaro with openRC.

Install Gentoo. If you are having problems with gentoo you either have a vagina and/or low IQ and deserve to get systemd-ed on pleb tier distros.

>(((systemd)))
>hardline stance against any other init system
I'll never even bother trying it. Sad. It sounded like a less retarded guixsd.

It's not a matter of it being well designed or not. It's a matter that a portable alternative with sane developers that don't try to incorporate every single daemon and is actually documented can only benefit the whole community.

We're getting off topic
So far we got:
Gentoo and Funtoo
>OpenRC
>Customization with USE and CFLAGS
>Memes
>Not for brainlets
>Funtoo might be outdated and broken

Void
>runit
>fast AF
>Just werks
>only like 2 devs tho
>Apparently "does a bunch of stupid shit"

Devuan
>I think sysvinit by default.
>Ancient packages
>Debian-based.

Artix
>It's arch with openRC.
>Whether you like or not depends on your opinion of arch.

GuixSD
>Shepherd init system
>Made by GNU
>Currently very new and not really finished yet.
>Looks like it could be great.

Alpine
>Sounds very minimal and comfy with busybox
>But in reality, things are broken and the devs haven't fixed.

You forgot Slackware

Source Mage has its own init and the package manager is beautiful, despite the choice in terminology. The community is thriving but is not popular enough, which is sad.
I had fun installing the whole thing, for some reason it was easier than gentoo. At first it looks just like Gentoo but somewhat more stripped down, not many config files you need to tweak. Setting wifi is like the most primitive experience Ive ever had, is so weird to see something so basic working, it makes you wonder what are we doing that needs so much complexity in our packages.

The only thing I haven't done is their version of use flags and using quill to port a package.

Tell me more about it

Accurate desu senpai. I'd add to gentoo/funtoo that the funtoo community is small, but very helpful and knowledgeable, whereas the gentoo community is much larger, but completely useless and generally quite stupid (at least in irc). In particular, the gentoo community would rather defend themselves and their precious broken packages (see: mingw* collection, which hasn't worked for years for anyone) than admit something's broken and either help fix it or offer alternatives (such as mxe.cc which actually works just fine). Instead of getting to the point, they do their best to nitpick anything. For example you paraphrase the error, they DEMAND that you copy-paste the error. Then they tell you it's obviously not the error you got even when it is.

Simple, vanilla, conservative, the same old BSD-style init scripts it always had, not suited for Gnomefags, not suited for minimal installfags

I use void.
Muh 2 dev only is not a problem because they are actually coding instead of masturbating to loli (arch, gentoo and debian dev).

>thinks he knows anything about anything
>uses words like 'coding'

It bugs me how your list has very niche distros that are irrelevant and nobody cares about (Artix & GuixSD - literally who?) but lacks the oldest mantained and most popular distro in the past.
Familiarize yourself with Slackware famalam you wom't regret it.

>not suited for minimal installfags
it is actually is.
Slackware lets you handpick every single package during installation - same goes for dependencies.
You have to really know what packages you need as dependencies, though.

If you guys are going to talk about Slackare, point me to a guide to make a server from Slackware. For a good reason I can't find anything about removing packages or making it a barebones installation.

Also do mention about slobopkg and the like, some people want a package manager, get your shit together.

The wiki had something about that.
With certain package lists for minimal systems.

I am not picky, even a blog would suffice but fucking google doesn't say anything. I know people do use Slackare as servers but cant find anything. What is going on?

slackwiki.com/Minimal_System

Antix

Thread

tbqh, im really sick of antix not ever beig mentioned. it predates most of the shit mentioned here. its a hacker friendly distro. it uses debian as a base. its minimal. its systemd free

seriously, why is it never mentioned? i dont fucking get it. at all. really, i do not understand

>Being fast isn't a feature, its a consequence of being made well.
That's not true at all, just look at Systemd, it's fast.

I use Void on one machine and Gentoo on another.

Overall, I'd say I prefer Gentoo. As long as you have a modern processor that isn't bottom-dollar and 8GB+ RAM (so, in other words, a lower-mid-range desktop or midrange laptop), the compiling actually goes pretty smoothly and quickly.

Void I use on my shitty older laptop that can't compile without getting an aneurysm.

>Systemd, it's fast.
Compared to what, SysV? Lmao.

The fuck you babbling about?

SystemD takes three to five times as long as OpenRC. It's like fucking molasses.

>it uses debian as a base.
dropped

My gentoo install with OpenRC takes like 10 seconds to boot, don't the SystemD fags say theirs boot in 3 seconds?
If it isn't speed why the fuck people use SystemD then?

and what would you prefer?

DragonflyBSD

>My gentoo install with OpenRC takes like 10 seconds to boot, don't the SystemD fags say theirs boot in 3 seconds?
>If it isn't speed why the fuck people use SystemD then?

1) They're probably lying.

2) You're probably doing something wrong.

3) I compared Arch+SystemD to Arch+OpenRC, on the same machine, and OpenRC booted in under a second. SystemD took almost five.

I've thought about trying Artix since I liked Manjaro OpenRC but I'm gonna first try Gentoo through Clover since I'm tired of my Void install.

>2) You're probably doing something wrong.
Probably, I barely know what I'm doing.

I haven't messed with OpenRC, I have a 5MB kernel without initramfs. What am I supposed to do to make it faster?

Alpine linux.
It's a truly minimal system. only 30 packages by default. also avoids GNU bloat by using things like musl (the faster&less complex c library) and busybox. apk is also nice and fast and just works. has good amount of packages.

Except the only way to have a functional slackware install is to install literally every single software available since there are only trash-tier third-party tools to help fix the dependency mess.

Check the manual. There are multiple settings to tweak, which are defaulted to stable, debuggable defaults (in other words, slow but unbreakable, the opposite decisions that systemd makes).

>also avoids GNU bloat by using things like musl (the faster&less complex c library)
And for that reason if you need to type and/or set your locale to anything but ASCII you might as well sudoku yourself now.

As a filthy weeb musl is trash.

>They're probably lying.
I posted a video of a full desktop with wifi connected and chrome started in 8 seconds that uses systemd only a few posts above yours.

People insisting that OpenRC is as fast as systemd have gutted OpenRC to even come close.

musl has a complete and correct unicode implementation

>People insisting that OpenRC is as fast as systemd have gutted OpenRC to even come close.
My OpenRC is default and loads in 10 seconds.
That's only 2 seconds slower than you claim your boot is. I get the added benefit of not having to deal with SystemD.

>I'm lying please pay attention to meeeeee!
(You)

"A complete and correct Unicode..."

Which doesn't mean shit when you can't get system locales or any non-ASCII input method to work more than halfway under it.

unicode is the modern standard & locales considered harmful

That's incompatible with every program.

>every broken program
ftfy

Lol retard, I used OpenRC with default configs and it was still several times faster than systemd.

Systemd is bloatware with """features""" which actually amount to buggy hacky workarounds for the developers' incompetence. Deal with it.

This. If it's so "Complete" and "Correct", why does it break things?

why are you even in this thread?

Cool story bro, why you quoting me?

Nobody gives a shit about your standards when I have to hack apart my system just to get it to display the time and date in Japanese.

Glibc can do this correctly, why the fuck does it break as soon as I switch to musl?