Why aren't 18650s as common to purchase as AA or AAA batteries considering how widely they're used?

Why aren't 18650s as common to purchase as AA or AAA batteries considering how widely they're used?

You can't just walk into a Kmart and buy a pack of 4 18650s...

they're often an internal component, not user-servicable
that said, there are a few things which take loose 18650's, such as many vapourisers (you'd certainly find 18650's in a vape shop)

Don't 18650 give out more than twice the voltage of AA? That would fry a TV remote or any simple electronic.

they're not the same size as a AA

14500s exist though which are the same size, so I can understand why those aren't stocked, but yeah 18650s not being sold despite its popularity baffles me too.

at this point i own more things that run on 18650's than AA's, with most things that would have run on AA's in the past now using internal li-ion batteries

blame the battery jew for making AA/AAA's the standard in consumer electronics.
What likely happened is that AA/AAA's were first the market and basically held onto that momentum.

18650's likely came along much much later when there was a need for more power/density from batteries and likely when the chemistry finally came along and made them possible.
It wasn't that long ago that laptops used NiCad batteries in the, and then NiMH and now we are at LiIon

Retailers charge companies for shelf space, so if you know your product doesn't sell that often why would you intentionally waste a huge amount of money putting them on the shelf in kmarts ? So you have your listing fees, your shelf space fee, your warehouse fees etc etc.
it is just easy to sell through amazon or some website instead.

>yeah 18650s not being sold despite its popularity baffles me too
because outside of high power flashlights and vape shit, what kind of items would the average person have that uses it ?
If you go to those stores that sell those items they probably sell 18650s as well.

At this point I'm half tempted to mod even my AA devices to run on lithium. TV remote has 2 AAs in series, no reason why I can't change that to 2 14500s in parallel with a small lithium charging module to keep it charged when it runs out in 10 years.

you could, but you will need to add in a 7.4v > 3v regulator (if left in the original series configuration) or 3.7v > 3v if you modify the connectors so it's parallel, so you don't blow up the device

am i looking at a black man's anus?

also, there are lithium AA's out there

i stole a pack of energizer lithium AA's way back in 2006, and i put a couple in my universal remote
the same set /still work/ in that remote to this day

>7.4v
Nah m8 voltage doesn't go up in parallel.

At most I'll need a buck converter to 3v since the lithium batteries would be 4.2v at full charge.

that's as much of my post that you read, wasn't it?

And I just re-read what you wrote...

Yeah basically I agree with you 100%, sorry for the idiocy on my end.

If I put one battery in backwards though wouldn't that automatically change it from series to parallel? Or is there more to it than that?

na, they're most often like pic related

>If I put one battery in backwards though wouldn't that automatically change it from series to parallel?

No.

Because now you have two terminals and they will be both negative or both positive you can't use them like that and thats why the remote won't work if you accidentally put in a battery the wrong way into it

this'd probably be the simplest way to mod it for parallel

Forgot about that.
Easy fix though.

I just might start doing shit like that desu, probably going to start with a solar recharged wall clock though since I keep forgetting to change the battery and it seems to run out too often...

>
You linked it wrong.

-- you will need to flip a battery for this as well, though

>Why aren't 18650s as common to purchase as AA or AAA batteries considering how widely they're used?
Multiple factors, like the chicken and egg problem. Very few products using 18650s have the individual cells readily user-replacable, giving retailers little reason to stock them. Also loose lithium-ion batteries are internationally recognized as dangerous goods, making them difficult and expensive to ship. Then there's consumer safety. The average consumer is basically retarded and can't be trusted with bare lithium cells. These are the same people who put AA in backwards and mix old and new batteries. At least with alkalines they'll just leak when you negligently reverse-charge a strong cell through a weak one one, rather than erupt into flames and potentially burn your house down.

Idiots.

>consumers can't be trusted to handle loose high-energy cells
yea, that's probably it

blue board

Go to a vape shop or eBay or something