/sqt/ - Stoopid Questions Thread

Begin your idiocy through text on this forum [ :^) ]
fellow tech sightseers.
I'll start with my own below soon:

Previous thread: →

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/microsoftsoftwareswap/)
a.4cdn.org/g/thread/63461165.json
en.wiktionary.org/w/api.php?action=query&format=json&prop=extracts&titles=test&redirects=1&explaintext=1&exsectionformat=plain&exlimit=1&exchars=300`,
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>using the smiley with a carat nose

I need to edit the config file for a thing to include a path to a library, but I'm not sure how to get the actual filepath... is it just the name of my drive x:/folders/ or do I use ~/folders/?

So Sup Forums, I'm looking to upgrade my computer and I just want to be assured on how to install Windows 7 on Ryzen overall or in general.
On the pic.related I will just showcase random pictures of my build (which had a mount issue with the 212 Evo for a little bit due to a wrong compat. kit which I replaced today).

I am sure that getting W7 in general you need:
- license from key websites like this one an user suggested : (reddit.com/r/microsoftsoftwareswap/)
-USB shluck
-fully working computer
-downloaded programmer of W7 installed onto shluck drive

I just want to assure that the W7 installer of Microsoft does the work for the drive right? And I should just plug it into a 2.0 USB on my Ryzen X370 to work? And I will be using PS/2 keyboard and mouse for those to work since 3.0 drivers won't be installed or something.

Thoughts?

What is this thing in my phone's camera? It shows up in every single photo and video, slightly off center. Tried different apps, different ROMs, taking it apart and cleaning it but still nothing.

I want to get my mom a laptop so she can work from home and see I can use QVC for monthly payments on some $200 chrome book. Anyone know if Chrome books are any good for just basic internet browsing and maybe MS Office use? Maybe also with some emulators with old games on it too.

Probably a damaged spot on the CCD. Rest in ripperoni

Full image for scale.

Idk about the emulator part, google that. But for the rest: chromebooks are made to do stuff like that.

My mom has had two chromebooks fail in about 15 months, and they're pretty weak.
I got a used thinkpad for about the same price and it has lasted me twice as long, if she's alright with a funky looking laptop. I got an x230 and can emulate most psp games.

Halp please

Nice choice, but what's your problem?

OwO what's this?

Do you have visual studio or uTorrent installed?

How would W7 installation work in general for Ryzen and a new build, I just need assurance from what I posted.

It'll work. You won't get any updates (though there's a tool that allows you to continue getting updates now) but it'll still work.

I can't speak to ASRock, but the mobo manufacturer has to have Win7 support available as chipset software. Gigabyte, for example, has a specific download to install for Win7 support (chipset in general as well as LAN and USB3).

So, find your mobo on your manufacturer's website and see what OS support they have as far as drivers.

Also, you don't "need" a Win7 license. You can use DAZ loader (for one of several examples). And, the USB stick you use should be USB 2 specification ... a lot of Win7 installs fail if you try to use a USB 3 stick or a USB 3 port. The USB drivers need to be installed (sometimes) before those will work properly (so, Yes, your comments about PS/2 &/or USB 2 ports for mouse & keyboard are valid). Sometimes you get lucky & they work, sometimes you don't.

And, if you aren't using rufus, you need that or something that performs the equivalent function.

download iso > burn to usb stick > build pc > mount usb > get into bios, start install > install > activate with method of choice

so yeah, ur good

y-yes i have μTorrent installed

How is memory aligned on intel x86/x86_64?
By that I mean, what if I had a certain integer representing a memory address X; does the [X] point to a byte, word, doubleword or a quadword? What if I incremented it by one, that is [X+1]? Would it point to the next byte or would it skip to the next word/doubleword/quadword?

Are there any basic cookie managers available for firefox quantum right now?

I heard, that there are free software like uTorrent, that have a small bitcoin miner in them, so they can fund themselves. My friend said that it generates big files like this.
It may be another software, or maybe it has nothing to do with this, idk.

What do you guys use to sync dotfiles between workstations?
I think rsync is going to be a bit too globby (sync more than needed) unless I run it on a file basis

Also I'm not always in the same network and I'd like to sync despite that, if possible. I know syncthing can do that, but that works on directory level, not files.

my mom's really sensitive to electricity for some reason (like she can tell whena device has issues because she'll feel it shocking her). with both of my laptops, she says she feels they shock her when using it and both do have issues where they say 'plugged in not charging.' anyone know what could be bothering her?

The pointer has a type, like int or char. An int is mostly 4 bytes, a char is 1. If the pointer is an int, then incrementing it by one makes the pointer ,,jump" 4 bytes, if the type is char then only one.

laptops with metal cases uses it as the ground.
there's not much you can do about it. it's pretty much low voltages anyway.

I can't cover the casing with any material to stop it from shocking her? it causes her headaches and choking feelings to even use it for a few minutes.

bit of a hack, but you could move the stuff you want into a new folder, put symlinks in their original places, then use syncthing with that new folder

>The pointer has a type
I didn't say I was talking about C; I'm talking about x86/x86_64 assembly.

I'm learning Python and Beautifulsoup and am trying to make a very basic Sup Forums scraper. However, due to how Sup Forums's html is structured doing a find_all() isn't effective because there are two nameBlock classes: one for mobile users and one for desktop. As such, soup.find_all("span", {"class": "nameBlock"}) returns two names for each one post.

After some googling, I tried combining them like so: soup.find("span", {"class": "nameBlock"}).find("span", {"class": "nameBlock"}) but I keep getting "TypeError: 'NoneType' object is not iterable".

How would I go about ignoring the first instance of nameBlock?

Oh shit, im a stupid person

that reminds me, aren't there tools out there that do this automatically?
I think I saw one, but I forgot the name.

Is there a decent android app for DNS change with dnscrypt and maybe even dnssec?

Which works on a non rooted phone btw.

>im a stupid person
you won't be if you'll answer my question

You should uninstall utorrent anyway since in like 2015 they did release utorrent with a bitcoin miner in it. You avoid them on principle of their consciously being malicious.

Some people recommend utorrent 2.2.1 from regarding it as being the last good utorrent or something, but there are other alternatives such as qbittorrent, for which an update just dropped so it has a thread up (personally I dislike the new icon choices).

double check if you actually are connected to your house's ground. I guess unplugging it might help. (assuming it only happens when you're using the cable instead of the full battery). I never found a solution for it, I don't touch the casing that much. except the little part between the edge and my keyboard. Somehow doesn't bother me anymore.

(Everyone tries to go back to more flat icons, and they go back to damn vista-tier icons ffs)

>a very basic Sup Forums scraper.
you know that Sup Forums has an api?
a.4cdn.org/g/thread/63461165.json

Am completely new to Linux. How do I get to view installed programs? Think like what happens in Windows when you install something.
"ubuntu software" doesn't give a full overview.

I suggest getting used to aptitude on ubongo

I'm not a big assembly master, but if I know correctly, memory locations are incremented by one every byte. So in the simple case of using x+1th memory lokation is 8 bits from location x.

apt-mark showmanual

what's it called when you find a word in the dictionary? Translation? Dictionarization?

what's the verb for dictionary using?

Thanks. Do you know if there are any advantages or constraints of aligning your memory locations in a certain way, say for example, as a multiples of 8?
Is it the same if I used a quadword instruction (e.g. MOVQ) on an address that isn't a multiple of 8, but shifted by some offset?

... oh, this is by default. You are able to scale this one byte, or step by word sizes.

Depends on what exactly you mean by that. If you just want to look at a list of installed packages, I'd probably use Synaptic.

Yes, if you want to use bigger values. You can use every four memory adress, if you need dwords for example

should i get a vpn and if so which one?

you look up a word in a dictionary?

There's no 1 word for it? How saddening...
I was thinking, like, "dictionarify", or ... well I got nothing

h*ly fuck

>You are able to scale this
you mean with the segreg:[base+index*scale+disp] syntax or by some other means?
but if I'd wish to, I'd able to use addresses not aligned to multiples of 4 for dwords? Would that hurt me in any way?

>you mean with the segreg:[base+index*scale+disp] syntax or by some other means?
Exactly like that
>but if I'd wish to, I'd able to use addresses not aligned to multiples of 4 for dwords? Would that hurt me in any way?
Nope, do 3 bytes if you need 24 bits of info, or heck, 8 if you need to count the shit out of stuff. Data in it self are just random numbers in themselves, its about how you use it, what meaning you give them. If you say, that the number between address x and x+8 is a number that stores something, then use it that way.

I used a mac for a while, and the one and only thing I miss is the ability to use spotlight for everything from math to unit conversions (type 10ft, get in, cm, m, km, etc) to word definitions

What's the closest you can get on GNU/Systemd/Emacs/Vim/Firefox/Linux?

>its about how you use it, what meaning you give them
Yeah, I know. I was just curious if some instructions behaved differently if they were referring to "misaligned" data. Like performance issues or such when fetching memory. Performance of intel architecture is a mystery for me right now, so I can't really tell.
Thanks for the help.

somebody wanna tell me what the FUCK happened to ff js console?
fetch( `en.wiktionary.org/w/api.php?action=query&format=json&prop=extracts&titles=test&redirects=1&explaintext=1&exsectionformat=plain&exlimit=1&exchars=300`, { method: "GET", headers: new Headers( { "Api-User-Agent": "testing" })}).then(res=>res.json()).then(res=>console.log(res.query.pages))
I can SEE that it has an object "276..." in it but when I click it it just gives me __proto__ garbage?

then on the other hand this works fine
fetch(
`en.wiktionary.org/w/api.php?action=query&format=json&prop=extracts&titles=test&redirects=1&explaintext=1&exsectionformat=plain&exlimit=1&exchars=300`,
{ method: "GET", headers: new Headers( {
"Api-User-Agent": "testing"
})}).then(res=>res.json()).then(res=>console.log(res.query.pages[27637]))

like, what the fuck is happening? The console is WORTHLESS now

After updating Firefox to 57 and qbitorrent to 4.0 this morning I got some process called attrib.exe that is pulling 60% CPU usage non stop.
Unless I have task manager opened the thing just pulls 60% and f I select it it disappears.
I only found 2 other cases like this and there is no solution for them.
What the fuck is going on Im using windows 7 x64.

Same problem pretty much. If you use these software, you're part of the mining slaves.

>To use the Code tag, book-end your body of code with: and
>escaped
h-how?

mods can post raw html

There is a bitcoing miner in FOSS software?
Please something else is happening.

Should I buy a high end Chromebook or a mid tier laptop? Shit's for my daughter and christ am I terrified of her disappointment

Wouldn't she prefer a tablet? Maybe you should ask HER instead of permavirgin neets

is it truly possible to learn enough web development from free sources to get a decent or better paying job?

I have zero programming or development experience and I'm in an area without a lot of options but the Internet. I know le innernet hate machine so I'm sorry to ask a dumb question but has anyone done it?

Any useful free courses/certifications/etc that can get me started toward getting a real job doing this?

I should think so yes.

Dont be an idiot, it's a cryptominer. Do a scan with malwarebytes or some shit, and i would bet 30 bucks, that it will show it being connected to some mining pool.
Also, why would FOSS mean, that it doesn't have a miner?

Why does my computer randomly restart all of a sudden, without notice, error, warning, blue screen, or anything else? ESET says there are no viruses.

It probably overheats. When was the last time you've changed the thermal paste on your CPU?

I never did that in 4 years.

or dodgy power supply

I'm currently building a website for my work - without any actual web-dev experience. I have managed to learn html, css and js in two weeks and have outline the whole project which is basically a dashboard for our sales-team where they can monitor stats of their personal- and team-goals. And here comes the question. I need them to be able to press a button and add the amount of sales by one. So how do I store a value on the website so that anyone can access the current figure. I know it's fucking retarded but my google-fu is apparently outmatched. Is database the only way?

Oops, forgot to delete my name there.

or maybe a fan gets stuck, that happens to my cpu every now and then and I have to manually give it a whirl. Nobody does shit to thermal paste in 2017. Try vacuuming ur pc instead

You do that once a year or two at least. It's probably dry as a desert by now.

You were right,malwarebytes block the outbound connection that leads to mining pool.
Seems like I got infected through some local site that forced to to use java.
Now how the fuck do I remove this thing.

lol what the fuck are you talking about. Nobody does that, EVER. Modern cpus don't need you to fuck around with thermal paste lmao

W-wait what? A-am I supposed to??

You certainly benefit from thermal paste. You probably don't need to reapply though.

On a similar issue, MB deleted the whole folder for me when I clicked clean.

Do single purpose electrical devices have their own custom OS or use something else? For instance when a fridge has a screen in it, what do they normally run on?

C
it's called embedded software

>doing something you have no idea of
Relatable. Kek
>the actual question
Yes, the only way is a database SOMEWHERE. Somewhere, there has to be one. But there are some ways to choose from. Having your own server, using some kind of service, or even somehow hacking togeather some kind of database from some free web service, but thats far from professional and reliable.

Not these days nigga. They all just run linux. Probably with chromium on kiosk mode if they have screens.
It all used to be itron and derivatives like ecos though.

>database
Cuck
Use flat files. They are best.

I read that it can be just deleted, because modern windows has nothing to do with attrib.exe anymore. It was some DOS shit, if you use a high end virus scanner like Kaspersky, it would just delete it too.

>EVER
Stop being dumb. I see dry thermal paste in laptops everyday.

Is Linux free to use in products? I know its free on a non commercial basis, but if I wanted to make a product that needed an OS that could run Chromium, I would want licensing costs to be as cheap as possible. I have heard getting the license to use Google Mail and Maps costs a small fortune.

It depends. If it's a proper screen, it probably has some kind of linux, but if its a small device, with a 20x30 pixel screen, and does not more thank tellig you the time, or shows if you need to change batteries, probably has its own little code.

is data science a meme?

is it possible to actually get a job doing that without a degree?

i dont mind math but i dont want to do a dumb boot camp or waste half a decade of my life and tens of thousands of dollars if i can waste that amount of time for free and still get the job

>free on a non commercial basis
>Linux
Learn things better user. Of course you are allowed to sell linux. You can even run your programs on top of it and not have to distribute the source. Like most internet companies do.

>cuck
Stfu, you know what i meant by that word, it doesnt have to be some sql shit.

I heard that its big money, just think about all the $ a big company pays to know, what, how and where to advertise

linux is free to use following what is written in the GPLv2
basically, you can use it for whatever, but if you modify the kernel itself, you need to share your modifications under the GPLv2 as well
this doesn't apply to user mode software you write for use on it, that can be as proprietary as you want

not sure about google mail, but for google maps, you could consider openstreetmap instead

Hurr, lets deposit some sharded mongos in the cloud with redis caches and varnish load balancers!

So could a .CSV-file in the website-directory that the script calls to work?

load current value from server --> update current value with with n + input --> ??? --> profit.

I HOPE YOU LEIK THREAD CONTENTION

oh, also keep an eye on GPLv3 stuff, it's designed to avoid tivoization, and all modern GNU software is GPLv3+
so if your hardware is designed such that a user can't replace the software on it, you will need to avoid GPLv3 stuff (there are alternatives to most things, for example busybox is GPLv2, and is a popular choice for a userland on embedded hardware)

Yep, php. Also, insecure AS FUCK

There is like 15 people who will be connected to the website and will update the value maybe once a day each. It takes what? 10 ms to update it? it should be fine right? what would u suggest then?

Yeah, fuck facebook.