NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 discrete GPU w/6GB GDDR5 graphics memory

>NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 discrete GPU w/6GB GDDR5 graphics memory

>in that

How can I be sure it wont explode?

Just don't put that thing on flamable surfaces

Underclocked and with crazy thermal throttling temp range.

I think the only "slim" notebook right now that can handle a GPU close to it's normal clock speeds is that weird asus zephyrus thing that kinda opens up at the bottom.

Because they've made sure it throttles the fuck up before melting down

Just don't buy it.

In fact, never buy a laptop with dedicated GPU. There is never a reason to want this.

When will Lenovo make thinkpad T series with 3:2 screens? It's probably the only way to get neckbeards to upgrade from their T420s.

>Laptop with a dedicated GPU
Never again

Wait, there's a 16:9 version of it as well?

The reason being...?

I would wait for the intel/vega seems more promising.
I spoke to a lot of people and they all say the problem with vega 56/64 was that they were overclocked gpus.
If you run vega at lower baseclock it becomes very efficient

no

Elaborate?

AYYMD HOUSEFIRES

not them but a desktop PC will always be miles ahead of a laptop when it comes to GPU heavy tasks. the idea of having a very powerful and portable machine is nice but in reality you're better off with a compact laptop/tablet for portability and a powerful desktop PC for more GPU/CPU demanding stuff.
anything else will perform badly or be too klunky.

who else here /waitingforEGPUtech/.
Instead of a new desktop build I'll probably just do a nice laptop with an EGPU set-up.

I just want an external pci-e interconnect, none of that TB3 bullshit. A 4xpci-e 3 would more than satisfy me, currently TB3 bloats the bandwidth on top of it actually being quite a CPU power hog thanks to overhead.
The closest we got is that Razer thing, which is essentially a 8x pci-e with some drm component that prevents hotplugging because Razer can't into software that isn't just about controlling RGB.
Another alternative is macbook, which has some internal fuckery done to the TB3 chips to not suffer from CPU overhead and are technically 5x PCI-e. Too bad it's exclusive to fagbooks which throttle the cpu the moment you open firefox.

You're retarded. This isn't 2009.

Unless somethings changed in the past 8 years, 300W>75W. Even with strides towards more power efficient devices, it only means desktop equivalents can be even bigger and clocked even higher. Pascal is perfect example of this. Same chip but the desktop equivalent not only costs less because of more leeway with voltage binning, but also will absolutely cream the laptop with double the frequency. For way less, even if including a poverty tier 1st hand Acer.

No one ever said that laptop GPUs are the same as desktop you non-comprehending idiot. The point is that they're no longer abysmal, like they used to be.

I've had them.

Go to notebookcheck to verify this too, they don't throttle. Surface books are very well designed.

All of the laptops with a dedicated GPU i've had and seen have all died because of that GPU. It is the first thing that will die and you will have to replace the whole motherboard.

Also, you have to deal with higher temperatures, more battery consumption, outdated manufacturer drivers and it's gonna be loud.

You're retarded. This isn't 3009

>amd thinks it can compete

*locks the bootloader so you can only use windows*

>Underclocked and with crazy thermal throttling temp range.
This, it's just a MacBook made by Microsoft. It probably performs like a regular laptop GTX 1060 for 5 minutes and then throttling reduces the clockspeed by 30%.

Under load the power supply is not actually large enough to power the CPU and GPU so your battery will begin to drain when plugged in.

Its underclocked af

In most laptops with a dedicated GPU, the laptop is too weak to perform it's primary demanding task, so it is stuck doing other things where having a dGPU is just dead weight. The only worthwhile of these laptops are portable workstations and only if you actually use them. In that case the company usually pays for it though.

Low powerdraw

to be honest, 70% of gtx1060 in small macbook-like laptop sounds good

>Under load the power supply is not actually large enough to power the CPU and GPU so your battery will begin to drain when plugged in.

Seriously? what the fuck?

>I think
>It probably

I have it in my store so I have tested it somewhat, I can't speak for the performance difference as I assume the frequency is lowered for the mobile version, but what you are saying about the battery draining is wrong.

You will not lose power when plugged in with the CPU and GPU at 100%, that is insane and requires you to be completely ignorant on how chargers work.