Ubuntu Nostalgia Thread

Before migrating to GNOME, what was the best version of Ubuntu in your opinion?

>Don't use unity, it connects to amazon
>WTF unity is getting killed this is the end of the world as we know it
Just make up your minds already

Unity doesn't connect anywhere. Ubuntu "flavour" of unity has amazon botnet.
There's nothing wrong with unity (except the parts which are wrong). It's more aesthetic than GNOME shell for sure.

To answer OP my favourite (and forst linux) was 7.04

Debian, hands down.

p.s. Sup Forums isn't one person

Unity was great but after seeing how shit GuhNOME is and how superior KDE is to both, I left for Fedora KDE

14.04 was top comfy. After that it was regression after regression with the biggest one being the switch to Gnome.

Unity sucked cock.
I'm glad Canonical got their heads unstucked from their butts and realized maintaining a desktop environment noone likes is a massive waste of money and effort that could be more useful if your goal is to be the Linux distribution of choice for businesses and personal users.

Switching from Unity to Gnome killed 3 birds with one stone
>it killed Unity
>it killed Mir (gnome uses wayland)
>there finally is a distribution with sane release cycle (Ubuntu LTS releases) that's pretty much bog standard when it comes to software that come with it ootb.

Kubuntu

>migrating to Gnome
>bad
Unity was pretty much Ubuntu exclusive and made out of a lot of hacks. This shift allows a decent team to work on Gnome 3 and make it a less shitty DE. The community wins eve if going with a KDE custom would be saner.

Before, I had a desktop that just worked. Sure it wasn't all that customizable, but it wasn't slow and had everything necessary. It also had a pretty good working global menu. People would shit on it because they couldn't rice it and because aeons ago they enabled some amazon bullshit by default.

Now it's one option less, and to use different flavors. You have gnome which is a slow piece of shit that has awful defaults. The only thing it has going for it is addons that you have to install through a fucking web browser. Ubuntu GNOME already existed but nah, let's just shit it up with this.

No, not Gnome.
Come to the KDE family instead.
^_^

>Use Gnome
>Shitty desktop altogether where changing specific fonts is a pain in the ass because the tweak tool just doesn't like that

>Use KDE
>Shit keeps stuttering and fucking with performance

Nah

10.04 compiz effect was a big mind blow for me.
But actually 17.10 is nice with a good dm

Post 10.04

12.04 when we had Ubuntu TV. As for stability and day to day use, 14.04 is where it was at.

Using Arch KDE and I have no stuttering problem. Stop buying noVideo

unity was great
felt like a complete system to me at least since 14.04 - it just worked and didn't require customization
but with switch to systemd and to gnome i don't even see what is the point of ubuntu now
probably will have switch to something else
thinking of manjaro maybe?

But I have an AMD 280x.

8.04 LTS is probably the version of Ubuntu I stuck with the longest.

Meanwhile plenty of people on Gnome are experiencing extremely choppy and laggy animations and the only option Gnome gives you is animations on or off.

I can certify there's some animations that seem almost locked at a specific framerate for some fucking reason. Choppy the same way on any computer I try it on, to the point I'm starting to think that some people just blatantly ignore it rather than not experience it at all.

But yeah, I still experience this fuckery on KDE unfortunately. And a good while ago I had this fix, which involved disabling triple buffering, but it's not working for me anymore for some reason. Enabled or disabled it's the same exact result. Dunno what to do because I'm convinced a fast KDE is my favorite desktop across every single system.

10.04 or 9.04, where i started.

how to disable animations on gnome?

Kubuntu by default ships with a broken version of KDE so most newfriends try that without trying a real KDE experience and shit on it forever

Xenial

It's an option in the tweak tool.

gnome-tweak-tool has that option.

my first linux distro, that wallpaper give me a warm fuzz
10.04 was the real shit though
really all the lts versions of ubuntu were good: 12.04, 14.04 (that I'm still using), 16.04
worst version I've tried was 9.10 or 11.04, than I stopped using not-LTS versions

16.04 had a broken network manager for months.

I loved 8.04 back in the day

thanks guys, I'm still using unity until it's supported
I use gnome on fedora but it's terrible, one thing that drives me crazy is windows with a lot of useless spacing not fitting in low res screens (like netbooks/x220) and cutting options unless you alt+grab the window (they also recently changed the shortcut to super+grab, apparently it was too easy)
absolutely retarded for a touch-friendly OS that should have a responsive design

mir was fork of wayland
kinda like unity was fork of gnome

>useless spacing not fitting
that's the theme
use arc

my new laptop should arrive in a few hours what distro should i dual boot ive used mint ubuntu and kubuntu, sorta wanna try something new

>no one liked
Except for all the thousands of people in the community saying otherwise and seem to be in the running for an entirely seperation unity flavor.

I'm not entirely partial towards unity, but your hatred seems so blind to me.

if you want wayland => gnome
if you want xorg => whatever

PSA that xorg sucks dicks and no one even gives a shit to fix it for 15 years

PSA that tons of shit still doesn't work on Wayland and shitting on Xorg while pushing your half baked garbage won't help.

xorg is here to stay for another 15 years most likely.

wayland will be deemed "ready" when rhel and suse start shipping with it by defualt.

what doesnt? in my exp only wine for fps game you couldnt 360 around because mouse was limited by window but you can and should run wine under a separate user with xorg , everything else works fine with xwayland in fact it is my new daily driver with weston but normal people gnome is stable like a rock but it did cause minor stuttering for video playback

rh is already shipping it with gnome by fedora and suse is irrelevant

rhel =/= rh
>and suse is irrelevant
thats one way to prove how clueless you are lmao

Ubuntu 8.04 LTS

Fucking loved that version.

>Wine is a big one
>Still no screen recording except for built-in trash
>Media keys still don't work (plenty of keyboard stuff in fact).
>Nvidia is completely incompatible.
>Dropdown terminals
That's just what I could find with a quick search.
Pushing for Wayland as default in it's current state is laughable.

I think you should apologise for lying.

isn't fedora already defaulting to gnome wayland? how behind is rh time wise?

about what

Kubuntu wasn’t an option?

About mir being a fork of wayland, silly.

>>Media keys still don't work (plenty of keyboard stuff in fact).
pretty sure in gnome they do

>>Wine is a big one
did i say that? i wrote it because it was the only ''bug'' i encountered
for the screen rec gnome would be your best bet
seems to me with wayland it's every wm/de for themselves

it is, silly. or rather was :^)

Wow it's almost like some people like Unity and some don't

>pretty sure in gnome they do
>for the screen rec gnome would be your best bet
That's the fucking problem with Wayland. Fucking everything is compositor dependent. This shit will make the Linux desktop ecosystem ten times as fragmented as it has ever been before and this time it will actually be a problem because shit won't be interoperable. Want redshift? Better hope your compositor has it built-in. Want screen recording? Better hope your compositor has it built-in.
Want to use media keys? Better hope your compositor supports that.
But hey, I guess we can all bow down to our Gnome overlords and use their feature castrated built-in trash. Then Wayland is kinda okay.

Thing is with Ubuntu on board now, that stuff witll HAVE TO BE BUILT IN.

If not Ubuntu will build it in their version themselves.

I want unity2d back

>Want redshift?
remember that other tty with wine i wrote about?
have redshift running there
switch to it now switch back to tty with weston
tada

So you're still running xorg. Sounds like a great success for Wayland.

i run it for wine yes. biggest thing for me is no tearing and normal video playback.

You take that back!

>Want to use media keys? Better hope your compositor supports that.
That's managed by libinput that was already ported to X