/PCBG/ - PC Building General

/PCBG/ Building something amazing Edition

Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and monitor suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO i5 7500/7600K or i7 7700/K. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>G4560/G4600 for non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds with a dedicated graphics card
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM)
>R5 1600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs i5 8600k if your CHAD
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper / i7 - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports

GPUs:
>Consider Vega if you have a Freesync monitor
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>GTX 1050Ti and 3GB 1060 are the only reasonably priced cards; 6GB 1060 or 4GB 580 if you want to overpay a little
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor

>last thread

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/7jDGKZ
pcpartpicker.com/list/HBRwNN
pcpartpicker.com/list/c3hbqk
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500402&ignorebbr=1
pcpartpicker.com/list/HPB2HN
pcpartpicker.com/products/case/#R=5,4&t=3&sort=-rating&u=1&X=0,10717
cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-6600K-vs-Intel-Core-i3-8350K/3503vs3935
cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-7400-vs-AMD-Ryzen-3-1200/3886vs3931
linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/
pcpartpicker.com/list/Jwx4yf
outervision.com/power-supply-calculator
coolermaster.com/power-supply-calculator/
pcpartpicker.com/list/MMPRQV
cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Ryzen-3-1300X-vs-AMD-FX-6300/3930vs1555
tomshardware.co.uk/radeon-rx-vega-56,review-33997-22.html
ibtimes.com/newegg-lawsuit-retailer-accused-partaking-massive-fraud-2605089
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

HOLY REEEEEEEEEE

?????????????

>23:23:22
so fucking close

I'm Floki, I am a boat builder

>repostan from last thread

pcpartpicker.com/list/7jDGKZ

This is the build that I'll try to assemble with BF/CM deals. I'm happy with the main components, but I've still got a few questions that I hope you guys can help me out with:

1) Will i need a CPU fan or nah?
2) I'm really not sure about the case. My basic requirements are clean look, dust filters and good air flow, for about 70-80$. I'm open to suggestions
3) I'm actually looking at the BN259 power supply which is 550W, anyone got experience with it?

This is gonna be my first build in 10 years, so I feel like a total retard. Any advice/suggestions for part swaps are welcome. I'm trying to stay within a 1200$ budget, with a little wiggle room.

pcpartpicker.com/list/HBRwNN
Any video cards that are cheaper and run similarly? Everything not on the list is already purchased. (Posted in previous thread)

pcpartpicker.com/list/c3hbqk

Thoughts on my new build, already had the gpu for a year now and broke.

How much additional cooling would be needed if I purchased a mini 1060-6gb?

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500402&ignorebbr=1

upgrade to 850 evo ssd unless large price difference due to sales or whatever
get 8350k for just gaming or 8600k for gaming and productivity
why does it show 48$ shipping on pus for me
your ram is overpriced, especially for a no name brand with low frequency
it's extremely easy, just put some shit on a usb stick, boot into bios, then just follow instructions
just don't do it in windows, do through bios

spendign WAY too much on PSU
8350k for just gaming, 8600k for gaming and productivity
if you can find the extra money get a 1060 6gb

Do not fall for the christians' lies. The 1060 6GB mini on sale right now is not worth it.

Look at that abomination.

Need some help deciding on a new monitor to go with the 980ti I just picked up used.

Theres a 27in 1080p 144hz Gsync currently on offer for £300, or I could go for a 27in 1440p 75Hz Freesync for £200.

Already have another two 1080p monitors so I'm not too worried about the productivity differences between 1440p and 1080p, but I am a little concerned over blurry text. I have a 4ft deep desk though so I guess I could just put a 1080p 27in monitor a bit further away.

I bought it. It's still a 1060 6GB.
Don't care if I can't overclock it well. The VRAM is what really matters to me, not how far I can push the core.

how is this build
pcpartpicker.com/list/HPB2HN
will be using it for gaming, vm, and light animation

>Look at that abomination.
You should look at the screen.

>Have Nvidia card capable of GSYNC
>Get Freesync monitor for AMD instead
???

I'm stuck trying to decide between the Fractal Design Define C or the Meshify C
on one hand, I want the define because I don't want a window and it keeps noise low for when I'm watching tv or sleeping
on the other, the meshify has good airflow and I plan to keep my build running for long periods of time (for torrent seeding) and the glass is pretty opaque
advice?

I'd go for a 8600k or 8700k build

>The Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler may require a separately available mounting adapter to fit the Asus - PRIME X370-PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard.

if you go with ryzen you need to pick the other hyper 212 version

recommend me a case Sup Forums

mid tower
under $100
fancy shit like rgb lighting isn't all necessary

don't really care how it looks, just want good cooling and decent amount of ports.

pcpartpicker.com/products/case/#R=5,4&t=3&sort=-rating&u=1&X=0,10717

take your pick

How do I recycle my 970? I just got a new system.

I forgot to mention that I already have all the peripherals

More just see it as 1080p 144hz gsync vs 1440p 75hz non gsync. The Freesync is of no interest, just means it can do 75hz which is obviously a bit better than just 60.

Is it worth it to get an i5 6600k cpu now on black friday for (hopefully) around $200-210 or get an 8600k?

Is there really that big of a difference?

Silverstone RL06
GN found it to have the best cooling from any case they reviewed.
They have models without LEDs if you hate them.

No.
If you want meme 4 cores then get i3 8350k

cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-6600K-vs-Intel-Core-i3-8350K/3503vs3935

so is it a better idea to grab the 6600k? I currently have a 6500

My current motherboard doesn't support intel 300 series and I'm not looking to upgrade that.

looks to me like it's slightly better but for a cheaper price. Also I'm going to show my ignorance here but isn't i5 better than an i3?

>the white with the full tempered glass side panel
I shouldn't be this erect

In that case save up and get a 7700k. going from 6500 to 6600k isn't worth it.

Asked in the /sqt/, but no one helped me.
Is there a significant difference between 2D NAND and 3D?
Is it worth paying $20 more for 3D?

2D is cuter than 3D

>>G4560/G4600

I'm not going to be fucked over by using a 1060 6GB with a single fan, right? It's a low power card and I'll be using a case with 3 front fans and one exhaust rear fan.

I've heard a lot of bad things about kaby lake. Even the OP says
>NO i5 7500/7600K or i7 7700/K. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE

Is the 8350k really buff enough for gaymen? I don't plan on upgrading in the next 5 years, wouldn't the 8600 be a better investment for such a time period?
Thanks for the suggestions

That only applies for people who are building a new computer. You already said that you don't want to upgrade your motherboard so the next best option is to get the fastest cpu that your motherboard supports.
The only issues 7700k has is that it runs hot so you need cooling that isn't stock.

good point

Thanks

because they assume nobody is stupid enough to buy 6*** new

depending on how much the game industry moves towards Multithreading, 8350k could perform the same as 8600k for games.

>because they assume nobody is stupid enough to buy 6*** new

Do you mean 7***? and why not?

My current build
>i5 4440
>gtx 650
>8gb drr3

I was gonna build a whole new PC as I feel I need to change out everything considering mobo and ram compatibility for ddr4 now.
Anyways don't think my bonus will cover it so I was questioning getting a gtx 1060 6gb now and jacking it in to my old rig and upgrading the rest later.
A CPU bottleneck won't be a real problem as of yet right. I can still get a year or to out of it for high spec gaming.(note my 8gb ram)

hey anons, i want a AMD 1600 should i wait for pinnacle ridge or buy the current gen this week?

Is pic related good, on par with Ryzen 3/1050ti?
Price is pretty good..

If I had a budget of £500 could I build something more powerful than the xbox one x?

I currently have an old pc with an i7 860 that i could possibly use but it probably sucks. However my motherboard only caters up to 4mb of ram, so im not sure whether i can build upon what ive got or if its more cost effective to start from scratch.

Just want to play the odd game nothing spectacular.

How accurate is the wattage calculator on PCPartPicker? I never really looked into it and I'm struggling to believe it's this low as I'm used to 700-800W PSUs.

Have a GTX 970 with an FX 6300 (wew lad) right now and going to upgrade to ryzen 1600. I heard RAM really matters with Ryzen, so what should I go for? 8GB is enough for me, so I just want to go as cheap as I can without gimping performance

no i mean 6***
due to the large cost of coffeelake mobos
people might be inclined to buy 7*** series when building a new PC, which is why it's stated in the OP not to
nobody in their right mind would build a 6*** 5*** 4*** etc. system at the moment, which is why it's only there for 7***

should be fine for 1-2 years, yeah

FD Meshify C

while not the best out of the box, add 2x 140mm fans to the front and you'll have one of the best air cooling cases out there(it's also 20 dollars off on newegg), another plus side is that the Meshify C is a quality case, something that the RL06 falls behind on.

cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-7400-vs-AMD-Ryzen-3-1200/3886vs3931

1200 is better
according to linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ that PSU is almost nuclear tier

Not 100% accurate but it's a rough estimate. Modern mid tier hardware doesn't consumer more than 350w.
Both ryzen and GTX 10 series are extremely power efficient.

pcpartpicker.com/list/Jwx4yf

Thoughts on this?

Guessing it's way overkill given that I'm a casual gamer (though it would be fun to get into more advanced games than a Thinkpad X220 can handle) and mainly want a /comfy/ development station with lots of reserve for compilation and VMs. Graphics card selected only because I hear Vega works well with free software. The hard drives come from a NAS that went tits up, figured with enough power and spare SATA ports it might as well serve my ZFS pool as well.

I feel I should dial it back a bit, there are better uses for that kind of money. On the other hand, it's less than what I would spend on getting a Mac.

if you don't trust it, try using other power draw calculators
outervision.com/power-supply-calculator
coolermaster.com/power-supply-calculator/

>2500$ system
ofcourse it'll be good

don't get vega, a lot of issues with drivers
overheating, loud, etc. as well

wait for custom coolers at the very least, which we'll probably see in the next month

why does a reference vega 56 cost as much as a custom 1080? are AMD literally just a mining producer now?

how would you compare it against the Define C?
I'm the one who asked

Okay I think I understand now

So is the current build I have right now fine?
>i5 6500
>gtx 1070
>8gb ddr4

I bought an overclockable motherboard 2 years ago when I built my PC planning on upgrading the CPU to an overclockable version a few years down the road (I know, stupid right?) and I thought now would be a good time to upgrade with black friday/cyber monday deals

>planning on upgrading the CPU to an overclockable version a few years down the road (I know, stupid right?)
jesus christ user

it's fine for now but 8 gigs is slowly becoming obsolete and so is your cpu

Like I said I know it's stupid now, but past me saw the overclockable motherboard (gigabyte ga-z170-h3) on sale for $100 off and bit the bullet. I was happy to save the extra $100 going from 6600k to a 6500 at the time too

Ram is so expensive now I feel like i'm waiting for a price drop thats never going to happen

Either get the 1920x or 1950x or get a Ryzen 7. Unless you need the extra pcie lanes you get the same cores and the same clocks.
pcpartpicker.com/list/MMPRQV

Also why WD green drives?

Honestly I don't care for the window either and wish they had a model without it, but I would still take the meshify because if you add 2x 140mm fans, you can more easily keep everything cooler and thus quieter, especially under load.

>ram
It honestly might not drop significantly. The ram producers are openly colluding to keep ram prices high.

For Ryzen, it's advisable to buy from the qualified vendor list for your motherboard to avoid issues.

Going from 2133 to 3000Mhz sees pretty noticeable improvements in both gaming and work. Over 3000 you start to meet diminishing returns.

RAM prices probably won't go down until 2019, and will likely continue rising into next year. So if you think you want 16GB, and can afford it now, do it, you may have to either wait a long time or pay more to do so in future.

An i5-4440 cpu will have no trouble with a rx 580 8GB, correct?

Get 3200mhz 2x8gb ram. You'll get peak ryzen performance with that. But the cost for the ram is more then a ryzen 1600 itself

Hah. It was 400 when I bought mine a few weeks ago. Then I had to rma because something was wrong with the fan. Newegg claimed there weren't anymore and that I was getting a refund. I found on their site though the same card for just over 500. I think they're jewing me

Bottleneck detected: Your CPU is too weak for this graphic card.

Intel Core i5-4440 @ 3.10GHz with Radeon RX 580 (x1) will produce 12% of bottleneck. Everything over 10% is considered as bottleneck. We

CHEAP MOBOS FOR 8400 WHEN

is the gtx1060 6gb much better than the rx570 4gb?I couldn't find a good comparison between them

It's fine. But you're pretty much at the limit.

Price drop is not likely to be until 2019. Supply growth next year is likely to be outstripped by demand growth by 5-10%. Until the manufacturers get moved over to new (more efficient) nodes, they won't even think of adding capacity or competing in any way.

Only wildcard is that apparently China is bringing fab online, which could shake things up. But it's not likely to be DDR4 for a while.

Pfft, I am good to go then. Thank you lad.

from what I hear, the lesser boards will be out in 2018(kill me)

>two more cores
>two more threads
>slower
Why?
cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Ryzen-3-1300X-vs-AMD-FX-6300/3930vs1555

>don't get vega, a lot of issues with drivers
>overheating, loud, etc. as well
Thanks for the heads up.

The impression I'm getting is that AMD has terrible drivers, and the free ones are crippleware, whereas Nvidia has decent ones, but they are proprietary. Maybe I should get a modest Nvidia card and wait for Vega to mature. Can you recommend anything?

Low noise would be good as well.

for FUCK sake why is everything so shit this year when I can actually afford to build a new PC

>is the gtx1060 6gb much better than the rx570 4gb?
Don't know about much better but it is better. Unless it's on Vulkan, where they are basically equal.

Asrock z70 extreme4 mobo, 4770k, and 16gb ddr3 currently. To upgrade everything to be current would cost me 600 dollars. Should i fucking bother?

blower cards aren't such a bad idea with ITX cases right? The heat exhaust would actually help

Thanks, I'll look into it.

>Also why WD green drives?
I have them laying around. They're from a NAS project with a bad motherboard. I figured I might as well put them in the new build and not bother with a NAS, at least not until I outgrow it and have no space left for more drives in that big tower.

Correct.

Im looking for a motherboard, processor, and ram that would be able to take on Arma 3 at ultra at 1080p and not dropping below 60fps. My ceiling is $1000, any suggestions?

no gpu or anything else?

now the question is would a 56/64 sound like a jet engine

Very likely.

You are putting a full size, power hungry GPU into a tiny case with limited airflow. Something has to give.

Im pretty set on GPU and everything else. Im just looking for suggestions for the above.

Some people say undervolted 56 is tolerable.
Or you can always pay up to the LC Vega 64 :^).

where my coffee lake niggas at?

so is that budget jsut for those three?

for real, I was lucky to get a used gtx 1060 6gb for retail price when mining was still in full swing.

yes

You could underclock? You'll probably lose a little bit of perf, but AMD really pushed them past the sweet spot of efficiency to get the benchmarks they needed.

"Compared to the stock settings, just 71.6% of the power consumption serves up 89% of the gaming performance."
tomshardware.co.uk/radeon-rx-vega-56,review-33997-22.html

Obviously depends on silicon lottery though. If you can get it down to ~150W, with a decent ITX case you should be able to avoid total jet engine.

The one and two fan is basically aesthetics. There is negligible difference.

I was planning to undervolt it. Some noise is alright (I'm used to hearing a laptop on full blast) but I don't want something that is going to be very audible from ~10-15m away. I have an alternate build with the LC 64 but being about 40% more expensive I'd really rather have a blower if its acceptable noise-wise.

Soon, user. Soon.

>tfw just ordered a 27" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync monitor
Shit was a steal @ $350

Left HWInfo open while playing GTA 5 and got this maximum reading.
I'm kinda of freaked out.
R5 1600 on 3.75 GHz @ 1.25 V on a normal situation. I think LLC is set to High.
What should I do? Is this normal?

Refresh is just around the corner cuz. Are you that desperate for an upgrade?
The short anwser is yes ANC you should start from scratch. I'm to lazy to help you properly but people on YouTube have built budget builds under your price range to compare to this gen consoles and outperforme. Check out youtube

link?

I'm currently running 2x4 ram at a total of 8gb

should I upgrade to 16gb? I assume the best idea would be to get 2x4 of the same ram again. Is it a bad idea to run 4 sticks of 4gb?

holy fuckign shit this shit actually seems very cpu intense

think your only real options is 8700k with a delid kit

>I think they are jewing me
ibtimes.com/newegg-lawsuit-retailer-accused-partaking-massive-fraud-2605089
>Newegg, a popular computer and electronics parts seller based in California, and wholesaler ASI Corporation are being sued by four South Korean banks that allege the retailers participated in “massive fraud,” the Los Angeles Times reported.
Oy vey...