Does a 'tech' job worse than working at a "HelpDesk" exist...

Does a 'tech' job worse than working at a "HelpDesk" exist? Was wondering if anyone on Sup Forums is currently working at one or has worked at one in the past.

Sharepoint admin

Tech sales is worst since you need to interact with retards.

Dude I get emails at work all the fucking time about our Sharepoint outages. Does our admin suck or does the system?

/thread

system is the literal manifestation of a dumpster fire

It's the system. Though the admin could suck as well, after all he did make the life choice to be a sharepoint admin.

all IT jobs are shit especially programming.

Someone sounds butthurt. Did you not pass your interview?

Wish I had an IT job so I could do something at least slightly relevant to my interests. Want to blow my brains out at work every day. Maybe in a year after I've done a lot of self teaching and taken a couple of certs I might have a chance, but probably not.

System is the worst pile of shit ever made.

Admin probably also sucks if his self esteem is low enough to say yes to a SharePoint admin job.

I've heard those words way too often lately.
What's the deal with SharePoint? Is there anything I can read about it?

I work at the help desk for a company that provides exclusively local government websites.

So that 80 year old women clerk that was put in charge of the website so the board of directors can jack eachother off about how they have a website now calls in asking how to right click and all this other shit i have no involvement in.

I hate my life, the only benefit is i can ride my bike to and from work.

I worked for IBM Futjitsu on a helpdesk for 3 years. Literally some of the funnest and shittiest years of work. But then I had come from a worse job working for the government as a filing clerk. The best times were when they setup a desk for a small company that hardly ever called us. We spent most days just playing LAN games like Colin McRae rally etc. The worst times were when I worked on the banking support. Literally the worse people you have ever spoken to. Stuck so far up their asses that you could be the most sincere and helpful person ever and someone would still complain that you were rude. I would never work a helpdesk again though.

Being a sharepoint admin is like being a SAP consult, you get fuckloads of money but you constantly question your life choices

The money isn't worth it

I worked kitchens for 4 years before starting Uni and getting a job at an MSP as level 1-2 technician. Ended up dropping Uni (Dumb fucking mistake) to prioritize work since I was getting waaaay more experience working. Now I'm level 2-3, on a contract and spend all day talking to fucking morons about their dumb people issues and drawing pictures of Bill Gates eating dog shit. I have no fucking idea what I'm doing with my life anymore.

The other day I spent half an hour explaining to a woman with a super thick Asian accent that the printer and shared drives won't work unless she is connected to the corporate network, not her random 4G dongle. Half a fucking hour of my life.

You probably won't see this user, but I did exactly that and am much happier now. You could also look into local community colleges and see if they offer software development programs.

A couple of weeks ago, I got an error message when setting up an office 365 account in Outlook 2016 that said "Something went wrong."

Do you have any fucking idea how degrading it is unironically typing into Google "Outlook 2016 "something went wrong""?

That actually sounds soul crushing.

You have no fucking idea the shit I have seen.

I had a ticket to setup scan to E-mail the other day. Super simple shit. Pump in E-mail csv, SMTP, creds, call the office, get them to test. The settings to change E-mail were under a link that said "Transmit"

It was fucking easier for me to find the volume settings on the printer than it was to find the fucking scan to SMB/Email settings. WHAT FUCKING PRINTER HAS VOLUME SETTINGS IN THE WEB CONSOLE?!

kek look at all the womyn

i laughed a lot at your pics and i read your life story. i feel kinda bad for you but not all the way. you sound like a smart kid, go do something cool.

The other day, I had a client call up. Their entire site was taking hours for emails to leave the mail queue. I check the queue and their server is being fucking HAMMERED with spam. Like, it's really bad and they have just been putting up with it forever. I tell them they need a filter and put them on one. Tell them it's $20 USD per month. Everything is running buttery smooth and I set the filter up to email them every day with a report of how much spam is being caught. (around 1k spam emails in 24 hours)

2 DAYS LATER I GET A CALL ASKING ME TO TAKE THEM OFF THE FILTER SO THEY CAN SEE THE DIFFERENCE. AS IN, UNDO ALL THE MX RECORDS AND REFUCK THE HMAIL SETTINGS.

Pic related: me loosing my shit that day.

Man, I'm desperate to bust into network security. Certs are so god damn expensive though :(

Working at home.
Half the shift playing vidya/jacking off.
Getting paid.
6 fucking weeks of holidays.
>Helpdesk is bad
Nigga pls.

Bruh, absolutely none of this applies to any helpdesk role I have worked.

>tfw wish I worked a helpdesk
it can always be worse user

It's not too hard to get a foot in the door. If I learned anything, studying a degree is pretty much just as good as having it.

All 'tech' jobs are shit, beside hardcore wizards geeks who don't know any better I don't know a single person who is not thinking in quitting.
It's boring, mindconsuming, not rewarding, stressful.
I am currentry here just for making some money.

>SAP consult
never heard of this before, what is it?

I work in Technology Logistics. Working on Android phones at the moment. My life is suffering.

YOU SIR, ARE HILARIOUS, AND I WOULD GLADLY BE YOUR TECH MINION

I'm a help desk analyst making $72k a year. It's a nice job. The medical field blows money left and right. Eveyone here has an i7 with 32gb if ram, ultrawide monitors, 500gb m.2 drives, and i have another i7 laptop to work from home whenever I want.

People in the medical field are retards tho. Most don't even know how to restart a PC, or turn it on.

>software development programs.
>programming

And the job market there is oversaturated

I've worked helpdesk for the past few years, I don't mind it at all. Shit is easy as fuck, I leave my job at work (never on call), make ~$20/hr and live in an area with low cost of living, 5 weeks vacation time that rolls over, and I work from home.
It helps me to not get burned out on tech when my job is fairly chill. I still have my own programming projects and other tech hobbies.

>Most don't even know how to restart a PC, or turn it on.

And don't want to even learn how to restart a PC or to turn it on anyway

just looking at that image makes me wanna blow my brains off

most likely got in a field where he'll never earn more than 1/5th of an entry level programmer's salary (e.g. a 'biologist')

Yeah, this

I remember being an exchange admin used to suck. Fuck they must have some maniacs running the office 365 exchange servers

I love the ones that you ask to power cycle something, something that is not hard to find/access even, like a giant button that you simply just push. And they fight back going "This isn't my job, send a technician"

I love hate my job. Like i enjoy explaining shit but you always get retards who get abusive or insult you. Chinese people are the worst. I despise the chinese

This looks like my Skype for Business(tm) conversation from every day

I also drink every night

>Does a 'tech' job worse than working at a "HelpDesk" exist?
yes, "physical" techie, not related to any sort of networking equipment

Well, at least one of these clients doesn't happen to be also your boss/manager

Not in the United States my guy.

Enterprise resourse planning system.

what is sharepoint?

Really, user? How can you not know that. Also. Google.

>working helpdesk at some community college
>always chaos at the start of semesters, but then things die down
>currently getting 3-4 calls a day, and they are usually students that need to be redirected to another helpline for students

Of course, the job does have it's downsides. Teachers are arrogant as fuck, and lazy on top of it. I've had many call me up asking for help, and when I try to walk them through it say something like "I don't know what the Start button is, and I'm NOT interested in learning! Just send someone!" Keep in mind, you are REQUIRED to pass the computer basics course in order to take half the general education classes here, much less get a degree. But they happily hire teachers who are completely unable of using a computer at all despite the fact they need to use a computer multiple times throughout the day to do their job. Yay double standards. Shit like this is why I don't listen to boomer apologists, I deal with too many of them on a regular basis to fall for their bullshit.

Call center tech support

>tfw used to do chat support for a popular web hosting company
>tfw loved it
>listen to music, handle 2-3 chats at a time and just solve issues. Chat has absurdly low sales metrics because they don't think you can get good customer connections via chat
>More people want to do chat because "haha I never have to sell"
>eventually that leads upwards and they send it overseas where they can do crazy sales expectations and just fire the person if they can't meet them
I miss doing LiveChat support, great program.

Tier 2 support is it's own unique hell because you get retarded customers and retarded Tier 1 agents.

>be me tier 1 new guy
>escalate ticket to tier 2
>they resolve the ticket, close it, don't put any notes in whatsoever
>ask them what they did to fix it
>they act like a dick and tell me "Its out of your scope"
>mfw
Once I get a year of experience I'm getting the hell out of here

>out of scope
are you a GoDaddyfag, I was a tier 2 godaddy agent but since I worked overnights and we were understaffed they had me help mentor tier 1 agents to better handle escalations and shit.
>tfw I miss doing tickets and peer support so much but I needed to be there for X amount of time before I could be promoted to a tech lead

Managing the monkeys working at an help desk

I do tier 3 application support (also middleware installations and what not) which means I just email the customer with the solution or update the ticket system and close the incident. It makes a shitload of money and I can slack off any time and watch youtube and stuff. Its so statisfying to see a ticket and just instantly know what went wrong and how to solve it.

It's a software so dense, so evil, so incomprehensible byzantine that it requires literal wizards who know nothing but SAP to maintain it. You can pretty much do what you want with it but it will never do what you want

>mfw half the time tickets are either without email or phone number or the tier 1 spent 30 minutes fuckinc up even more and the ticket becomes a nightmare

>When the ticket says "Advised customer we would call them as soon as issue is resolved, cx needs issue resolved within 24 hours"
>Ticket age is 5+ days

I used to enter as much as I could when handling tickets, only to see some of my peers fill in jack shit. Some tier 1's were quite helpful, others useless. All in all, you have good and bad people on all tiers.

Every once in a while, you'd get a pretty girl in, or an actual grateful person, so it wasn't all bad.

I got promoted into a global support role, with some L3 parts, while working mostly from home now. I couldn't imagine going back to tier 2.

It's a piece of fucking shit if you buy it from a third party, it's God's gift if you pay a bunch of programmers to build one from scratch.
My company decided to ditch SAP since it was closed source and so limited in what they wanted from such a program, so they told the IT department to build one and, my God, did those fuckers do a good job. It's not finished yet, but the modules that are built are golden.

TBQH senpai, you have a promising career ahead as an artist, you could put these on shirts and sell them through M/S help sites and shit lol