Linux

What's wrong with these people, why can't they take any criticism and responsibility for their actions? Why is sucking up to other devs regardless of context deemed "professional", while anything contrary constituting as "abuse"?

Other urls found in this thread:

lkml.org/lkml/2017/11/17/767
lkml.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/1711.2/01325.html
washingtonpost.com/sf/business/2015/11/05/net-of-insecurity-the-kernel-of-the-argument/
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Linux-Desktop-Win10-Security
archive.fosdem.org/2017/schedule/event/linux_desktop_versus_windows10/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Linus is a true white man

im an autist and i dont use twitter, what happened?

If linus yells at you, you've fucked up.
He's tried to tell you you've fucked up.
He can only resort to cheapshots to make you understand how you fucked up because putting in the effort at this point is not worth his time.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Turns out in the real world where business rules you have to be professional.

>an autist
>doesn't read kernel mailing list drama
Pick one: lkml.org/lkml/2017/11/17/767

>mfw linus is no better than the standard autists found on Sup Forums

start here autist lkml.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/1711.2/01325.html

>Don't let the door hit you on the way out
Except Cook has been a contributor for years, and he's the one calling Linus's rants "abuse".

Goddamn this board needs to get off Linus' dick

It's one thing to be blunt during email exchanges, but going on autistic rants makes Linus look like a child. Cook is an incredibly skilled developer and knows more about kernel security than anyone on this board. I've yet to hear a single coherent argument from anyone on why disagreements about bounds checking turns into Sup Forums tier name calling

t. Has never written a single line of kernel code

People in tech aren't the most emotionally developed. Its only become more apparent since everyone has their own soapbox on social media.
>see all the drama in the open source world
>major figureheads in tech sphere
>the culture in general

Its why Linux works,

this tweet and the reaction to it are purely bullshit. linus wasn't attacking kees or anyone in specific with ad hominen. if you read the thread it's clear that when he says you he's referring to "you security people" as in 3rd person you. It's not like he's calling kees a fucking nigger.

>Linus's

idiot

He might as well be though.

Killing the kernel over bad behavior is a nigger thing to do.

ofc not. Linus has shown time and time again that he's retarded, especially when it comes to security

show me the proof

Well, Torvalds is pretty much The authority for linux. For me at least. I obviously have almost no knowledge about the subject at all, but I'd expect Linus, if anyone, to really know what he's talking about.

>austic rant
Linus had a fair tone and said nothing wrong. Cook being in the position he's in is probably not used to receiving negative feedback, he needs to learn to take criticism constructively and stop whining.

DJB was the only good security developer

>Update kernel,
>Bug in software caused kernel panic, shuts down server
>reboot server it happens agian

Man Linux is shit maybe we should change to windows Sever.

>update kernel
>boot new kernel
>its shit
>boot old kernel
damn that was hard

The people in the security community seem to kick up a lot of drama very regularly. Makes you think...

>Cant boot any newer kernels with fixes due to Jew niggers commited security fixes.

he knows what he's talking about when it comes to things specific to Linux, but he's not some all-knowing deity.

Back when he first released linux on the minix newsgroup, the dude bashed the idea of code portability and microkernels. Now the guy has gone around complaining about not enough linux shit being developed on arm processors, meanwhile new OS projects are all taking up microkernels.

Linus was just at the right place at the right time.

This senpai. If they don't like it, fuck off and diaf.

>Linus was just at the right place at the right time.
>implying this isn't the secret to success

nice keks thx friend
thx

>"success" != knowing what you're talking about

Hows HURD going?

I don't see your kernel anywhere.

washingtonpost.com/sf/business/2015/11/05/net-of-insecurity-the-kernel-of-the-argument/

>lwashingtonpost
link me something that's first hand information that shows that Linus is 'retarded' when it comes to security, not some shitty clickbait

the fact that windows 10 is more secure than linux?

Oh Goym!

@63473999
nice try but you don't get any yous

But he's correct though. Bugs are just bugs. If tinfoils want to designate them "security bugs" that's on their head. If the kernel team did focus on security they would probably get nothing done. Enter grsecurity.

>Goddamn this board needs to get off Linus' dick

People on this board will probably dig up his dead body for this purpose.

He's right, but only when it comes to Desktop Linux.

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Linux-Desktop-Win10-Security

Not the kernels problem

>dae le "look like child xDDDDDDDDD"
another day, yet the same talking point

>roses are red
>violets are blue
>if bugs are just bugs
>no security for you!

nobody writes malware that targets the 3% of the usershare that linux has. sure technically an exploit exists in some older distros that apparently hasn't been in Windows since Vista, but Windows is still in the crosshair of anybody who actually writes malware. windows is more vulnerable because malware actually exists for windows.

>GNOME
>KDE
Glad I don't use those

you mean he's better than the hacker know as Sup Forums and anonymous?
what a legend

some sort of american thing, europe doesn't have this problem.

also, freedom of speech in america is a meme.

>Enter grsecurity
>kernel performance and security by dedicated teams

Not seeing the problem here.

Here is a video that will make you paranoid about using Linux as a desktop.

archive.fosdem.org/2017/schedule/event/linux_desktop_versus_windows10/

linux has a huge chunk of marketshare when it comes to servers

>ad-hoc "security"
>pic related

>paid for by Microsoft™®

GNOME and KDE are a clusterfuck!?, nooooooooooooo

The Linux kernel is RUINED !

you're not wrong but SEL and a good netadmin will keep your shit secure. the original user also said
>He's right, but only when it comes to Desktop Linux.
so I was only talking about Destkop Linux is specific.

>would rather efficient different specialities be combined into less efficient single entity.

Have fun going for brain surgery at your local dentist.

Flipping through the slides, the only thing that even remotely bothers me is gstreamer but everyone already knew that was a mess.

>What Gstreamer, Chrome, Tracker and Baloo mean for Linux Desktop security

>people here worship linus because they think he's king autist and they identify with him when in reality linus would spit on everybody here for being a

>What Gstreamer, Chrome, Tracker and Baloo mean for Linux Desktop security
I'm in the clear on this one.

>t. brainlet

If you're so much of a limp wrist beta cuck that you can't handle criticism on your kernel patches

Why don't you kill yourself? If you were actually smart and aware of what you were doing you wouldn't be called out. Fucking brainlet manchildren can't function in society, can barely even function online!

Kees is such an effeminate mook

>Microsoft words

really activates your almonds

She has a point guys

>exploits shown from 12.04, now five years old being directly compared to windows 10
>exploits in gnome, kde (lol only noobs use those anyway)
>exploits in chrome
>other exploit (ASLR) fixed or available to use in newer distros
>shit talks C, praises Rust for being "bug proof"
jesus

women and their love of cocs

LINUS MUST BE STOPPED THIS WOMAN FEELS SO UNSAFE

fuck off and suck my hard drive granny

>WOMAN
lulcatz, good one.

>internet in the 90s/early 2000s: if you're not being called a faggot 60 times per minute the internet must be down
>internet in 2017: did you really just disagree with me?? why are you being so toxic?????
get the fuck off my internet you softcock raised-by-hippies soygoi

LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME

We need more people like Linus instead of faceless trash companies. That's how progress is made.

It's called Linux
Not Cookius

Must be desperate if he wants to hit that rotten side beef.

The discourse reads like Cook really believes that that man is a victim, and Linus the perp. "I totally understand" - understand what? What did Linus do?

>i gave it name therefore i can not be wrong when it comes to it

that's some brainlet logic

He understands that Linus spergs out way too much in professional discussion and that it's a big turn off for a lot of people. Cook is pretty chill and just zones out of Linus' "fuck you" insults and other language.

>What did Linus do?
got Sup Forums to suck his balls

he used naughty words and called the guy a dumb dumb

>my fee-fees were hurt so I'll accuse Linus of sperging out
I would prefer snowflakes not trying to contribute their braindead code to the kernel anyway.

>kys cuck

is this real?

Linus is protecting the most used Kernel in the world from tards fucking it up. Sorry if the tards cant take it.

This. Otherwise you end up with something like nu-Firefox

It's not even the insults themselves, just the fact that he's way too aggressive. There's a fine line between passion and rage. Linus will call you a retarded nigger monkey if you disagree with him on nearly any topic in Linux development.

He could just say, "I disagree, I think you're wrong. I'm not bending this rule." And the kernel is just as well protected.

soyboy detected

This is disingenuous. Linus only calls people nigger monkeys if they genuine say or do something stupid. I have never seen him blow up on someone and they didn't 100% deserve it.

Not always. Linus is strong, the weak fear him and rightly so.

that's because they are retarded nugget monkey's trying to destroy userspace.

Why do you types care so much about something so superficial and pointless? He could also, "Fuck off you retarded faggot. I'm not accepting this pull request."

>most used Kernel in the world
Haven't you heard? That title goes to minix now thanks to intel

>it's a big turn off for a lot of people
And? Why should people deserve to be made comfortable, and why does any "professional" discussion dictate that you musn't criticize or get personal?
Linus is authentic and sincere, while that twitter discourse is a passive-aggressive circlejerk, where, ironically, you will get called "toxic" if you disagree on any topic. Way worst than Linus, in my opinion

I tried to submit a patch to one of the system calls and he told me to never write C code again.

I hope you learnt your lesson

And who do I think is better at C? Some random faggot on Sup Forums or Linus? I'm sure Linus is right. Just stick to Rust.

>such awe
>much 'tism
>so stronk

Same: I asked him on G+ why the kernel wasn't rewritten in Rust, and listed the deficiencies of C, and he blocked me without reply. He was my hero, and he let me down

I was just cleaning up some of the exception handling and he chimped out because he thought it'd break userland. I said it didn't break anything as far as I can tell and then he banished me from C.