KDE IS THE BEST DE

Anyone using anything newer than a 1998 toaster really needs to switch to KDE. No other DE is properly making use of your expensive hardware. All other DEs are just bloat and inefficient.

>Plasma 5.0 improves support for HiDPI displays and ships a converged graphical shell, able to modify the graphical shell according to the device in use. It also includes a new default theme, dubbed Breeze. Changes under the hood include the migration to a new, fully hardware-accelerated graphics stack centered on an OpenGL(ES)-based scene graph (canvas). Plasma 5 completes the migration of KDE Plasma 4 to QtQuick. Qt 5's QtQuick 2 uses a hardware-accelerated OpenGL(ES) scenegraph to compose and render graphics on the screen, which allows for the offloading of computationally expensive graphics rendering tasks onto the GPU, which frees up resources on the system's main CPU, and is faster and more power efficient.[1]

Other urls found in this thread:

winkde.org/pub/kde/ports/win32/installer/kdewin-installer-gui-latest.exe
twitter.com/AnonBabble

and yet it crashes more than windows 95

stock KDE is total garbage, but yeah with enough configuring / theming it's really really nice.
Using it right now with Debian.

I just tried it, I have to admit I'm not missing the retarded gnome menu

I've been using it about 3 weeks, it's never crashed once. You need to stop using shit hardware/a shit distro.
This is Fedora 27 (upgraded from 26 a few days ago) on a i3 with Intel HD4000 "GPU". Werks for me.

>gnome menu
Oh got, i get flashbacks of the slowdowns the menu causes when too many applications are installed. Fuck them for even tying mouse movement to the same pipeline in wayland. Holy shit.

>install GIMP
>it already comes with dark theme (Breeze maybe)
That's pretty nice

This is actually what made me look at KDE. Ubuntu doesn't know they are going to just drive people to KDE from Unity.
Unity wasn't perfect but it did the job, now that's being phased out without a better replacement, there's only one logical DE to consider. MATE and Cinnamon are flaky shit. LXqt is a bit too light for me.

The problem is almost always shit drivers. kwin actually does use driver features for 2d and 3d acceleration that are standard since vista. But since everyone else uses cpu and only some opengl shit the proprietary driver teams do not test that shit. Now we have situations where the gpu pukes out garbage or just crashes on proprietary nvidia or shitty intel drivers thanks to everyone playing it safe.

Well, at least kwin is the best performing compositor thanks to that. Not even wayland compositors can reach it in terms of smoothness, even against kwin_x11. I hope the retarded gnome devs stop it with their "at least it works" phase and invest in proper multi threading.

Do I need to do anything extra to make sure it's using the GPU properly? I did switch the compositor to OpenGL 3.1 in the settings (from Opengl 2.0).

No. You don't even need to switch to opengl3.1. That is only there if your GPU can't handle the 2.0 code path. Features are the same as far as i know.

Post Katie lewds

>log in
>open settings
>crashes
amazing

>Too light

what gpu? maybe the drivers aren't too good. guessing a new nvidia.
yeah some of us want to get stuff done without having to do too much assing around in the terminal.
nothing wrong with wanting to put good hardware to good use.

yes a 1070

My experience with KDE summed up. I want to like it but it just keeps crashing.

i'm guessing you also have a newish nvidia
starting to notice a pattern here, hmmm, wonder what it could be??
meanwhile intelfags are having no problems at all

Actually I only ever tried KDE on my chinkpad without dgpu. Kept crashing shit anyway.

when was that? I'd recommend a new version if you can, it's very stable for most people who try anything post-5.8 (think that was the last LTS)

Not that long ago so I'm guessing 5.4 or so. I could try 5.8 when I feel like bothering.

You people must be using some really shit PCs or weird hardware if KDE keeps crashing for you. I don't get this meme.

They are mostly on Nvidia except for fags like this who tried KDE about 2 years ago

I like XFCE more.

if you're gonna wait, then just wait for the 5.12 LTS which is coming in around a month and a half

drivers for latest cards are just shit

but user, I don't have expensive hardware and if KDE makes use of it, doesn't that mean it's bloat?

also the UX is terrible.

awesomewm > kde

>t. gnome "dev"

How do I install KDE on Microsoft Windows 10 Professional x64?

nah I have a 280X and an i5 4460 which aren't exactly good but should be capable, and get constant, very noticeable framedrops while scrolling on web browsers.

winkde.org/pub/kde/ports/win32/installer/kdewin-installer-gui-latest.exe

What the actual fuck. This came unexpected. What is it good for?

>hurr DAE anyone who dares criticise muh DE for bloat is the developer of a DE that's even more bloated?

That's probably a GPU driver problem.
>i'm so poor I can't afford decent hardware so I rationalize by using a shitty tiling WM or Xfeces and shit on more capable DEs.

>tying mouse movement to the same pipeline in wayland
What?

Same can be said for KDE users compared to GNOME or Cinnamon
The KDE system settings UI still makes me kek every time I see it.

>not mentioning xfce, the one that is objectively better than any other de
nice

Why?

>also the UX is terrible.
It's only terrible if you are terrible. It takes like 5 seconds to customise it to look about 100x better. Plus when it's actually making your quality of life better it's not really bloat, it's useful features.
rekt
xfce is so shit i totally forgot about, I wouldn't even recommend xfce over MATE tbfh

>GTK
gas the kikes

>The KDE system settings UI still makes me kek every time I see it.
It's a bit of a kludge but it does make it easy to find everything. I'm still on 5.10 but 5.11 has changed the whole look and feel of it so it's lot more compact.

>UX = look
>implying KDE improves my quality of life rather than seriously decreasing it
(You)

Gnome stutters and lags = mouse lags and stutters since everything is drawn in the same thread and blocks everything. They CAN'T fix it because they have pajeeted their way into gnome3 and everything is a clusterfuck of "just make it work".
I don't even see this problem on their roadmap for 4.0. Even though it is the most annoying thing every single user sees every single time they open the complete menu.

There is a cross platform standard of drawing the mouse as fast as possible, btw. A simple framebuffer in the GPU is dedicated to it, but they couldn't be arsed to use it because they have no clue on how to make their shitty opengl pipeline fast enough to let moving windows keep up with the mouse cursor. I imagine that's their reasoning, making the mouse cursor as slow as everything else to pretend that wayland is "fast", "new" and "shiny" that only works on overpowered hardware that is capable of eating shitty pajeet code.

wtf i love guhnome and GNU now

ye but
>type shit in search bar
>items that don't match become gray and disabled
>they're still disabled when you return
my-sides.jpg

the look is part of the experience, if you're not having a good experience on a recent version of KDE then you're doing it wrong or you have a new nvidia. Even with an older Nvidia that has stable official drivers, it works totally fine.

other than krunner KDE is pretty garbage. Menus, taskbar, default applications such as dolphin are all the design equivalent of word salad. Not to mention pixel width borders under active window titlebars like who the FUCK saw that shit and didn't immediately go 'this is too ugly to be displayed on a computer screen.'

install broadcom-sta-dkms
kde crashes and blacksreens

Get an amd card

>design
>too ugly
Fuck off to .

You're indirectly validating what he's saying instead of telling him he's bullshit and he's wrong. KDE can look fantastic with a couple of mins ricing.

>har har you must like our UI else you *must* be doing something wrong

>using ubuntu

Not him but XFCEfag here too. XFCE should be the standard DE (if it's not already.) It literally just werks, has rock-solid stability, is tried and true, is feature complete, and doesn't have bloat (for a DE at least) noticeable to anyone that isn't an autistic Archfag. Been running XFCE with Slackware the past ~5 years, and before that I ran it on Debian for a year.

pic unrelated

>not using the best distro

>Anything with System D is the best distro

I'm getting a better graphics card and then I can

I completely agree that it should be the default DE, and thanks for the rundown. I used XFCE for a while and liked it. I totally agree that KDE should only be used on high(ish) end rigs, I guess I incorrectly assumed that everyone had said rig.

I don't like systemd but it's a lost battle user, get over it

someone on Sup Forums recently checked the variance between RAM usage on xfce and KDE and discovered the gap is very small now, the whole xfce being light or the kde being bloated thing is really old news now, KDE is getting more brilliant all the time, just switch
>hating Ubuntu for no reason
I'm on Fedora myself but I have used it for years on Unity with no problems, I only started to notice shit I dont like when I switched to Guhnome and found Fedora KDE pretty quickly.
is that with the official drivers? pretty horrific 3bfh

Yeah I totally agree with you. If it makes you feel any better I used KDE5 for a little while when it got packaged for my distro and it was pretty good.
I know but I still don't use it right now because nothing's forcing me to.
>KDE is getting more brilliant all the time, just switch
If you can give me a citation on that I might at least consider it on my desktop.

>no reason
retarded maitainers breaking kde packages is a valid reason to hate ubuntu
>best distro

>and yet it crashes more than windows 95
No, it doesn't. It's not 2014. anymore.

>If you can give me a citation on that I might at least consider it on my desktop.
The amount of people who have good things to say about it when not using shit Nvidia drivers and using 5.8 LTS or newer should be enough. Just give it a try, I haven't looked back to GNOME or even Unity after this. Just wish I had switched even sooner. If you're on a Intel gpu or AMD gpu just fucking do it already.

That GPU scores a 23 on passmark

I have no idea of how that's significant, twoltjer

>not using Kali Linux on his secondary laptop
inb4 you're behind 7 proxies

I want to use KDE and go full Qt, but eventually I will need to install gtk for Firefox which bothers me.

Dude what
I'm using Fedora 27 and it comes with Firefox quantum by default. If some programs still rely on GTK theres not much you can do about that if there isn't a decent qt replacement

Firefox doesn't need gtk as a dependency? I always do netinstalls btw.

>tfw used 5.10 on Sandy integrated and it still sucked
Anyway should I want to try again, what distro should I use? Neon?

Do you actually know how package management works? The dependencies in all non-shit package managers are handled for you, you don't need to do anything, you hopefully left Windows now and don't need to go back to dependency hell ever again unless you fuck up some shit in Ubuntu on purpose by installing fucked up deb files.
What distro are you on now? I'm on Fedora and it's fine if that helps. I'd recommend Fedora or Debian, everyone says Kubuntu is fucked (it werked for me), Neon is supposed to be good, OpenSuse is supposed to be the best KDE distro but it has a shit-ton of OpenSuse idiosyncransies that you may hate (I couldn't stand having to click Abort instead of Cancel, OpenSuse have some shitty ass UX people).

I used Kubuntu 17.10, but am not using KDE on my current distro. It mainly was slow as shit (certain shit would just freeze) and using two monitors is fucking inoperable.

>Do you actually know how package management works? The dependencies in all non-shit package managers are handled for you, you don't need to do anything, you hopefully left Windows now and don't need to go back to dependency hell ever again unless you fuck up some shit in Ubuntu on purpose by installing fucked up deb files.

I've probably been using GNU/Linux much longer than you. It's obvious by your responses you literally have zero idea what you're talking about. Let's break this down:

1st post (MINE): I want to use KDE and go full Qt, but eventually I will need to install gtk for Firefox which bothers me.
1st response (YOU): Dude what
I'm using Fedora 27 and it comes with Firefox quantum by default. If some programs still rely on GTK theres not much you can do about that if there isn't a decent qt replacement

Your first sentence, "I'm using Fedora 27 and it comes with Firefox quantum by default." has nothing to do with my post. I'm not talking about defaults, I'm talking about GTK as a dependency. I want either a full Qt system or a full GTK system, not mixed.

Let's keep going:
2nd response (MINE): Firefox doesn't need gtk as a dependency? I always do netinstalls btw.
3rd response (YOU): Do you actually know how package management works? The dependencies in all non-shit package managers are handled for you, you don't need to do anything, you hopefully left Windows now and don't need to go back to dependency hell ever again unless you fuck up some shit in Ubuntu on purpose by installing fucked up deb files.

Okay, here you show how much of a blubbering idiot you are.
>Do you actually know how package management works?
Ironically, you're the one who doesn't. Many programs such as firefox and claws-mail pull GTK as a dependency. Again, you think you know so much when in reality you need to seriously consider committing suicide.

>If some programs still rely on GTK theres not much you can do about that if there isn't a decent qt replacement
you fucking retard, read what i wrote here until your retarded "mind" comprehends it

And yet your response doesn't help at all. I already know this, which is why I said that this is the reason I haven't switched to KDE yet. And also, you still went on talking about package managers and god knows what else like you're some sort of expert. What is your problem? Leave me alone.

I don't have a problem, I'm just trying to explain to an idiot how there is no way to get a fully Qt system unless you are willing to sacrifice some major functionality in using Qt-only programs (like switching FF for Qutebrowser). The underlying message, if you weren't smart enough to get it the first time, is that you'll probably never have a completely pure Qt system. Why don't you ask Mozilla to switch to Qt if it matters that much to you?
Also it's very likely I've used Linux longer than most people on Sup Forums. I started using Ubuntu in 2007 and I still have the Shipit CD to prove it. Even before that I used Redhat 6.0 long before there was Fedora or RHEL.

meant for

Trinity desktop. A fork of kde 3.

It means it's shit, xxx_memefucker420-XXX

I'm sending the Dark Army after you, twoltjer.

Does KDE suffer from screen tearing?

It's fully composited, read the OP it explains why

My IP is 10.0.0.10 please don't hack me

I'm enjoying it on my shit-tier SL510 (Thinkpad). I installed it along with GNOME, Cinnamon, and XFCE4, the one I've used the most is KDE. Never encountered a crash and only small bits of slowdown (Because of my 2009 laptop). It has the most sane defaults out of all the DE's I've tried and is really easy to make it look good. I was originally steered away from it by most of Sup Forums saying that it was a crashing, buggy mess, and from what I'm seeing in this thread it is, but I haven't experienced either yet.