/PCBG/ - PC Building General

/PCBG/

Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and monitor suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g (embed)
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1 (embed)

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO i5 7500/7600K or i7 7700/K. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>G4560/G4600 for non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds with a dedicated graphics card
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM)
>R5 1600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs i5 8600k if your CHAD
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper / i7 - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports

GPUs:
>Consider Vega if you have a Freesync monitor
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>GTX 1050Ti and 3GB 1060 are the only reasonably priced cards; 6GB 1060 or 4GB 580 if you want to overpay a little
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor

>last thread

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/CxcPjc
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822149628
pcpartpicker.com/list/sYtxkT
pcpartpicker.com/list/bZ3qcc
de.pcpartpicker.com/list/dPj36X
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151093&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker, LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=
pcpartpicker.com/list/H7pZtJ
pcpartpicker.com/list/zKkCjc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Last thread
I'm a bad OP

what do you think pham

pcpartpicker.com/list/CxcPjc
I have plenty of storage so not buying more

thingen of finally finding the courage to build a pc myself

New Graphics Cards when???
Ryzen refresh when???
The wait is killing me

>tfw fell for building pc meme
you guys told me building pc was like lego. FUCK YOU IT WAS HARD AND CONFUSING AS FUCK. I spent a whole week trying to build this shit. I broke my ram when i tried to install it and when i installed the newly bought ram it didn't feel tight. best buy dude told me the motherboard was also broken because i didn't install my previous ram right. So i had to buy a new motherboard and redid all the building process. i spent more than 1000$ for this piece of junk. i should have just bought ps4. it's much cheaper and easy to use just plug and play.
FUCK

So nearly took the bait until the PS4 bit

We don't know yet.
Around February.

Vega 64 limited edition or asus strix 1080?

Is it worth to get a PSU with extra watts i'm sure i'm not going to use? Are PSUs more power efficient when below max load? Also, 80+ standart isn't much worse than bronze, right?

What Anti-static equipment get?

Usually you should get ~100 or so watts more than what your sure to use look into your specific PSU to find at what work load it's most efficient

Sup, I'm an europoor with a budget of 800€ that needs to upgrade from his shitty old laptop to a workstation for photo editing and light generic gaming. For now I think I'll use my 42' 1080p TV as a monitor so I can use all the money on the actual machine.

What do you guys suggest me?

$120 for 5TB 7200 RPM HDD
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822149628

Anything wrong with these or should I get one?

So if I'm getting gtx 1050/1060 I should be looking at a monitor with g-sync right? FreeSync is pointless?

stuff I'm pulling out

pcpartpicker.com/list/sYtxkT

Current iteration:

pcpartpicker.com/list/bZ3qcc

Minor shit that I couldn't get right on pcpartpicker:
>case is the corsair carbide spec -02
>pci-e wireless is a fenvi 802.11a/b/g/n card, I just put the rosewill in there as a placeholder to imply there is one there.

Next thing on my list is to upgrade the GPU, and then I should be set for my gaming needs for the next...I dunno 5-7 years if I'm lucky.

Also, it wasn't until I read the intel official marketing stuff that I realized "coffee lake" wasn't just a shitposting nickname but what intel actually named the fucking chipset....I seriously thought it was all shitposting.

Are curved monitors a meme

>redid
get out and stay out

yes. A forced one, just like 3d tv.

how long until more aesthetic m-atx mobos for lga1151-2, or should i just buy lga1151 if i'm upgrading in the next few months

Is it really this easy to fuck up? What about static?

What is even the point of the 1700/1700x/1800x segmentation
Are there people really dumb enough to fall for those?

Yes
Now delet picture it is very offensive to muslims

>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING

Is it not possible to choose a monitor after having build the computer, and doing things the other way around?

>t. My first time trying to make a build

No. Everyone who says otherwise is someone who has never used a curved monitor. I have a curved ultra wide, it is amazing. In never going back to flat 16:9.
Curved TV shows are a meme though because of living room viewing angles, but for a desk monitor where you'll always be right in front of it, curved is great.

>Be me early 2017
>Want to build babby's first compooter
>do budget build with new kaby lake Pentium
>I have the latest motherboard so I will just upgrade to i5 later
>Few months later coffee lake comes out of nowhere
>It uses same CPU socket :D
>But it requires a new mobo with new chipset (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
WTF INTEL I COULD'VE HAD A FUCKING 6 CORE CPU BUT YOU FUCKING JEWS SWINDLED ME INTO AN OBSOLETE PROCESSOR AND MOBO

>What do you guys suggest
Buying a monitor

>anything Assus
Get the Vega.

Intel has changed board every 3rd gen for the past 10 years, your fault for not knowing Z270 was the end of the line.

aand now it's every gen luh mawo

What is there a reason to pick nvidia over amd card?

Price and performance

The monitor isn't necessary yet, but a better machine is. I'll buy a proper color accurate monitor with one of my next salaries, for now I have to get a PC and I want to try buying them on black friday.

Hi whatsup,
I'd like to build a new gaming rig.
I will be using it mostly in linux and openbsd with a wm.
But I game often when I can, and I sometimes need to model stuff and do some photoshopping and stuff like that.
I got a 1080p monitor and I'd maybe run a vm for testing but thats about it.
I live in germany and my budget is everything under 1000€ ( it can be 1000 but I'd really preffer it, if it's under that. )

How do you tell that a keyboard doesn't click too loud when buying online?
I do programming and don't want to hear million clicks a day

>>G4560/G4600

Is an i5 4970k @4.5ghz with 16gb @ 1400 enough to bottleneck a 1070ti?

>my fault
HOW WAS I SUPPOSED TO KNOW???

I guess I'll just Wait™ a little longer and buy an i7-7700 after the price drops.

>HOW WAS I SUPPOSED TO KNOW???
Intel has been doing the same thing for 10 years, so one would assume they would keep doing it.

de.pcpartpicker.com/list/dPj36X
Maxes out your budget pretty much, but it's a quite capable system this way.

Hello. Eurocuck looking for a computer capable of comfortable running WoW. I'll mostly be raiding, a little world PvP. I have a budget of ~ 1k euro and don't need anything extra. Resolution: 1080

don't listen to him he's just having a laugh. and don't listen to the meme youtubers who tell you to get an anti static wristband and a razer™ certified anti static mat, static really isn't a big deal unless you're retarded and think touching circuitry while wearing wool socks on a fuzzy carpet is a good idea. build your PC on a desk and touch the plugged in PSU every now and then, you'll be fine.

Don't buy until you've tried the keys yourself, in person. Most stores have all the keys on a small demo board so you can click them and see what suits you.

>WoW machine
>$1000 budget
MacBook

Thank you very much user. Just a question: as far as I know Photoshop doesn't use the GPU at all, so assuming Ryzen comes packed with integrated graphics, can I save money on the GPU and get it in the future in order to afford a SSD (and maybe a better CPU and case) from the start?

just about anything can run wow

That CPU doesnt have integrated graphics.

Start with cotton clothing and Common Sense™. Then add a wriststrap. Then a grounded rubber mat. Then go full autistic with 100% ESD-certified tools, desk and chair (ofc with another mat on the floor).

Damn. Well, thank you again.

I just built my first PC last summer(the only previous experience I had was switching out a GPU on an ancient machine). I won't claim that it didn't make me nervous and it certainly took much longer than I expected from such a simple assembly, but as long as you take your time and follow the instructions(looking up some guides may help, too), I don't really see how you'd fuck up badly enough to damage any of the parts.

>as far as I know Photoshop doesn't use the GPU at all
Photoshop does use GPU, and has options for both OpenCL and CUDA acceleration.

Gonna return my vega. If i undervolted it and messed with clocks a bit, is just restarting settings in wattman enough for them to not notice that? I doubt they will look much into it but i dont want to risk it.

Haha Vega

Yeah i learned, thats why im returning it.

Sup Sup Forums, I'm sure this goes against everything you stand for but I'm looking to buy a prebuilt computer for black friday or cyber monday. You probably aren't too familiar with this sort of desktops but I'm hoping you can still help me out. I guess my budget would be something like 650-700€ and I meant to use it for video editing and some gaming, most of the games I'm interested in are old but it would be nice If I could at least run Dark Souls decently. If you dont have specific models in mind if nothing else let me know what are the important things to look for and which pitfalls to avoid and I'll try my best to figure out what to go for.

Btw I'm fully aware I would get a much better deal buying parts and putting them together or even taking them to a tech store but I don't have the skill(nor the avaliability to learn) to do it myself and since I live in the middle of nowhere without a car I can't have someone assemble it for me, I'd much rather have it delivered to me ready to use. Plus I don't have the time to invest in the whole ordeal of building my own pc, I do some youtube stuff and December is the best month for ad revenue so I need it soon.

Oh and I already have a monitor and all that, I'm just interested on the desktop itself.

Help please? Sorry for being an idiot.

are the best/cheapest 1080p/144hz monitor for general use still xl2411z and vg248qe?

Serious question: should i build naked to avoid static?

What went wrong? Noise? Temp? Throttling?

His power bill soared, his home caught fire, and the local electric plant blew up.

static is a meme

just wear something sleeveless and touch a metal part of the case from time to time

Is buying a used videocard a decent idea in light of the mining craze? Surely there's got to be cards floating around for much less than they were bought for?

Please Sup Forums...

;_;

Well for editing purposes you should be looking for something with 6+ cores and 16GB ram at least. I'm assuming you have 1080p monitor? Look for something with a 1050ti or 1060 in it. Pre-built, you're not going to get anything nuts for $700

Buying a used GPU is kind of a bad idea right now precisely because of the mining crazy. Mining GPUs have been run at their limits for months or even longer, and are not in a good condition.

I've built computers in carpeted rooms without ever wearing a ESD wrist brand or anything. Just make sure to touch something metal before touching the electronics

too long and im tired
make a shorter version and I may read it

>R5 1600 / i5 8400
>GTX 1050Ti

No, faggot. Building is way too fucking easy, you have no excuse.

My fucking sides

But really would it actually help? I imagine it would

No, card itself is fine, but the fucking drivers are shit. Literally none of them fucking work either crash or bluescreen during installation. By pure luck i manage to find some beta drivers which worked from gigabyte website that are not even on amd website. Thats the only reason i kept it so long hoping maybe they'll release some normal drivers i can install.

But what about the noise? How loud is it? Is throttling real?

read >just make sure to touch something metal
Touch something grounded. If you care just slightly that is (and it doesn't look like you do).

No benefit compared to wearing cotton. It would never hurt however.

It all depends on your settings. You have to find a balance between temps and fan noises. I personally dont really mind the noise since pc is like 2-3 meters away from me and i use headphones. I just put the fan on like 80% and had about 65C on 100% load

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151093&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker, LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

pcpartpicker.com/list/H7pZtJ

Would that psu be good for the build? last part I need.

You can get people to build them for you idiot
Most people charge less than 100 dollars

Hi PCBG, I'm trying to make a bootable USB drive to install windows 10, but it wont boot.
I formatted it to ntfs and then loaded the win10 iso using the dd method with a debian machine.

the command I used looked like this
sudo dd bs=4M if=windows10.iso of=/dev/sdb; echo $?

I made sure the device was unmounted but once it's done, gparted says it has an unrecognizable format and my old laptop wont boot with it, I can read the windows files in it though.

What could I be doing wrong?

>want2buy vega system for 1440p gayman
>OOS or $700 dollarydoos
FUCKING MINERS REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

By the way, the command returned 0, so it should have finished ok.
>new rig arriving today, don't have an optical drive or friends with windows machines
>please respond

Sure. It's hard to go wrong buying Seasonic.

>out of nowhere
no youre just fucking retarded

I am thinking about going from an fx 8320e to an i5 2500k which would cost about $110 with both the mobo and cpu. Is this setup fine for the battlefront games and other new games in. Also have an rx480 4gb and will be playing in 1080p.

For most new games, 2500k is barely better than 8320e assuming both of them are overclocked.

pcpartpicker.com/list/zKkCjc
Anything I should buy now before it sells out? Or should I just wait

idk, ur moving from one dead socket to another dead socket

>>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
How bad does something like this fuck me over as a newbie building my first PC? I know literally nothing about monitors and it seems like it would be a really awkward part to build around.

>buy a pretty good monitor like 1080p and build around it, but forfeit the option of upgrading to 1440p because the parts don't support it since you built for 1080p
>buy a really good 1440p monitor, but now be shoehorned into buying expensive parts to support it
I'm new to all this so maybe my interpretation is just wrong. Is there a good way to go about all this?

So with all those shitty gpu prices whats the best perfomance/price gpu right now?

>How bad does something like this fuck me over as a newbie building my first PC? I know literally nothing about monitors and it seems like it would be a really awkward part to build around.

you don't build around the EXACT monitor
you build around the type of monitor

You don't build the same system for a 1080p 60hz monitor, a 4k 60fps monitor and a 1440p 144hz monitor

there's three real options for "budget" GPU
second hand shit
1050ti if poor
1060 6gb/rx 580 (I see these as the same option since they're basically the same performance, if you look past games preferring specific manufacturers)

beyond that you've got the 1070 1070ti 1080 and 1080ti which are all viable for stronger builds

Its almost black friday and I'm building my first rig but I haven't had the time to plan out my build yet or research or anything. Is there any idiot-proof purchases I can make that are heavily discounted for black friday that I should keep an eye out for, like components that would work on any build, maybe an SSD or RAM or something?

apparently there's a good deal on crucial's 500 gb ssd in murca

Is there a good middle ground to shoot for then?

Like could I build for a 1440p 144hz monitor, but use a 1080p 60hz monitor (my current monitor afaik) with it until I can afford or find a good deal on a 1440p 144hz monitor?

>I haven't had the time to plan out my build for Black Friday
It is 3 days from now, stop being lazy.

"Planning around your monitor" just means that you don't buy the most expensive shit to run a 1080p/60Hz monitor and that if you're getting a high-refresh rate 1080p monitor, you should probably prioritize CPU over GPU if you're on a budget, as opposed to 4k monitor where a large part of your budget should go to the GPU since it'll be the bottleneck anyway. It doesn't mean that you'll have to throw away your computer just because you switched from 1080p to 1440p.

>Want to build my first pc
>Watch videos
>"Push until it clicks"
>"Watch out for static"
This shit makes me anxious as fuck

yes, then you build for a 1440p 144hz monitor, however realize that until you buy your monitor it'll basically be a waste of money

thanks senpai I'll check it out

I'm not being lazy and I've been putting in a lot of time to learn. I'm just completely new to all this stuff. 3 days is more like 3 hours when you don't know anything.

See It's stressful, yes, but you're unlikely to damage anything as long as you follow the instructions.

Quick question:
I bought a SSD but due to some hijinks I can't put it into the drive bay. I tried finding a different place and for some reason it fits perfectly on top of my optical drive. Will this kill the SSD or can I keep it there ?

From an anaesthetic point of view, Phanteks shift or Fractal Design Nano S? Looking for something "portable" ( I know neither of those are that portable, but looking for something that looks modern/clean and is not too much of a hastle in transport every so often)