/lang/

old thread 404'd a bit ago.

discuss languages, language learning, your techniques, conlangs, etc. also post resources

hiberno-jewish creole revival when edition

some grammars for natural languages (and some conlangs): drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk

Other urls found in this thread:

zompist.com/kit.html
ankiweb.net/shared/info/1089240419
drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B9QDHej9UGAdWktqVk9aaDAyZ1E
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>I study lojban, m'lady, the language of truly logical and enlightened ones

>do l. ap ponki la . lo.jban.u

I've posted this a long time ago... my conland, sinpjo:

apйe гeн чepo paнa cйaтe фyпe пapкo eкўo, oйнo eкўo фyкo пopтo apбa гeн мypтo мaca, кўe cйaтe oйнo eкўo пopтo aндpo. apйe ceкўe тop eквo кe мoх "кapдйo дe eгo пpeди пopтo пидa, хopa cйaтe aндpo ин пopтo eкўo" хoм. Eкўo ceкўe мoх "ин ceкўe, apйe, кapдйo дe тyтo eгo пpeди пopтo пидa, хopa cйaтe aндpo aўc дoминo epгoн paнa дe apйe тop хyмac гeн гape тop иpo, кўe apйe гeн чepo paнa". хopa apйe ин фyпe ceкўe pec, apйe кepcy тop тйaнйe.

Literal, word-by-word translation:
sheep with zero wool see [past+complete] some horse, one horse [past+continuous] carry car with many/much weight, and see horse carry man. Sheep say to horse that [begin indirect discourse] "heart of I [present+infinitive] carry pain, when see man [invert direction of verb] carry horse" [end indirect discourse]. Horse say [begin ind. disc.] "[inv. d. verb] say, sheep, heart of all I [present+infinitive] carry pain, when see man or master work wool of sheep to cloth with warmness to him, and sheep with zero wool". When sheep [inv. verb] [past+complete] say thing, sheep run to field.

Is that a Lojban/Toki Pona creole?

neat, it's schleicher's fable.

No, just some vaguely lojban looking writing.

Latin transliteration (word roots I've borrowed get easier to see):

arje gen zero rana sjate fupe parko ekwo, ojno ekwo fuko porto arba gen murto masa, kwe sjate ojno ekwo porto andro. arje sekwe tor ekwo ke moh "kardjo de ego predi porto pida, hora sjate andro in porto ekwo" hom. ekwo sekwe moh "in sekwe, arje, kardjo de tuto ego predi porto pida, hora sjate andro aws domino ergon rana de arje tor humas gen gare tor iro, kwe arje gen zero rana". Hopa arje in fupe sekwe res, arje kersu tor tjanje.

Aaaaand a bunch of spelling and grammar mistakes. Fuck.

Yup. I did it on a rush, though, with a bunch of borrowed Latin and Indoeuropean vocab. (Ekwo, arje, andro?)

how long did it take you to make

does inventing a language help with learning real languages

I don't know how long... I've been working on that since /lang/ BBS times, but nowadays the project just sits in a file and I barely mess with it. It should be speakable by now if I wasn't so fucking lazy.

It kinda helps when you learn other languages, since you're messing with the "inner works" of languages in general to add features to your own... but it's more like "if you want to learn X, do it directly", making a conlang just for that isn't that helpful.

started working on my conlang a few days ago
i have an alphabet, 60 verbs, 20 nouns 5 adjectives and 15 question words and prepositions

can create simple sentences but dont know how to set up grammar for more complex sentences

>can create simple sentences but dont know how to set up grammar for more complex sentences
You might want to see this: zompist.com/kit.html
It won't give you a single grammar to use, but help you to define the rules you want.

For a start, using English as a basis and then REMOVING stuff might work. For example, removing accusative (me/him) and genitive (my/his) pronouns and trying to work your way using only the basic set:

I gave him a book. > I gave to he a book.
This is my book. > This book is of I.

Or doing the complete inverse way, adding features from other languages, like a full-fledged case system:
Wolf bites bear, bear bites wolf > Wolf bites bearem, bear bites wolfem.

Dumping some sinpjo vocabulary. Transliterated following this convention:
Z = Ч, like English CH
H = X, like German/Scottish CH (or just English H, but always pronounced)
W = Ў, like in English W
J = Й, like English Y
The others might be easy to guess.

Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, Sun, Moon
>herme, prodite, gaja, are, zew, krono, owrano, posejdo, sehur, mehnos

Red, yellow, green, cyan, blue, magenta, white, black (actually those work as nouns - it's "the redness", "the yellowness", but w/e)
>rubew, dahaf, sumurus, sama, asajar, banbej, abjas, sowdo

Numbers from 0-10, many, few
>zero, ojno, dujo, treje, kweta, penka, sweko, hefta, johto, newe, ojno zero, murto, parko

A thousand, a million, a billion, a trillion
>kiro, mega, giga, tera

Some alphabet letters. The order is based on Cyrillic (default alphabet) order
>aref, beta, gimew, dares, ehta, iza, joda, kapa...

I'll let you guys guess these.
>linga, joni, ganda

Sugar, orange, coffee, chocolate, tea, horse, orangutan, human, bee, chimp, bonobo
>sukra, naranga, kafa, zokorate, zaj, ekow, pongo, andro, apis, trogo, bonobo

Kiu /esperanto/ ĉi tie?

esperanto means gay in old hebrew

I have started learning Swedish a few days ago. Out of necessity so I really gotta keep at it.

Using Babbel right now, moght supllement with memrise.

Are you paying for babbel or no? How would you rate the service?

But it doesn't look like Lojban.

Lojban has strict word-formation patterns.

Like "tavla" and "klama". The roots are always CVCCV or CCVCV.

Particles always end on a vowel.

yeah, but would someone who doesn't speak lojban be able to tell it from actual, authentic lojban.

Yes.

I am.

And I think it is pretty good bngs for your bucks if you are serious about learning. I prefer their way to duolingo's.

The voice recognition is very sensitive thiugh, gotta use it in dead silence otherwise its impossible.

What is your current progress? Are you using only babbel? Did you have any prior knowledge?

bump

ca la məba le cəsnylənse ba pəvməme

I want to learn chinese, arabic, russian, french, greek.

But when i actually start learning them i get bored/overwhelmed within a few weeks.

I wish i had an actual reason to learn a second language.

You have to push past the abstract beginning and achieve a basic A1 proficiency to begin the real studying of a language. Once you get to that point you can start reading things in the language and learn by doing, this is where the experience really opens up and it becomes more personal.

French is the notably "easy" language of all of those, with just 2500 words and basic grammar which you could learn comfortably at a steady pace in roughly 2 months or so you'll be rewarded with a lot to do. Then you can turn your long term fluency goal into concrete attainable goals like, "Read this many news articles, read this book, write in a journal everyday for a week" and you'll probably feel less overwhelmed.

How much of any of those languages do you see on a daily basis anyways though? Weebs have good motivation to learn Japanese because they're watching Japanese material every day. Maybe you could try picking a language then postpone learning it for a period of time and instead find a bunch of stuff to do with the language. Watch movies or read translated books or browse a fucking Sup Forums general or find a tv show to get hooked on, then once you have a practical investment begin learning.

>bump

What do you guys use your language(s) for on a daily basis?

iktf
I'd like to learn German, Russian, Norwegian, Finnish, Latin, Sanskrit and maybe Greenlandic or some conlang for memes but I'm too lazy to even touch any of them. Recently I've started learning Japanese cause there were workshops for very cheap (8 pln/h) in my city. I hope I will continue it with you guys and /Japanese Thread/ but idk. I'm a lazy fuck.
I was on a lecture on some alternative language learning method years ago and always wanted to give it a try. I haven't till the Japanese workshops. The method involves some weird kind of mind map iirc. My map only has 10 nodes so far and doesn't seem to be going anywhere further.

Mostly talking to people and shitposting.

Has anyone here used a coursera language course?

I used Diolingo before so I had some knowledge but yeaaah.

The order of lessons isnt the same. Babbel seems to focus on practical info first. Like duoli go you'll see fruits and animals firsts. Babbel's first lessons are about introducing yourself and asking directions and shit.

Duolingo is all about translating sentences and such, Babbel has multiple exercises :

Listen and repeat
Listen and write
Translate
Associate word with right translation
Fill the gap in a dialogue

More interesting imo, since there is some variety.

Basically what said.

Best way to study latin since Wheelock sucks shit? This asshole is terrible at teaching
>here's a brief summary of a rule without explaining anything about and a bunch of words, go translate now, nerd

Maybe try lingua latina per se illustrata? It's supposed to teach you how to actually read latin, by virtue of the fact the entire book itself is written in it. Pretty sure you can find a copy on bookzz.

Looks pretty interesting, thanks senpai

bump

ko dadycatra ko

zxc

Mi lernas Esperanto nun

I really would like to learn of new language, but I'm stuck before I even begin.

I would like to learn Mandarin, for the sake of it being good for jobs/business/resumes. But other than that I don't have a very strong interest. The chinese people don't seem very friendly...

On the other hand, I really would like to learn Korean, for the same reason I think that weebs learn Japanese. I like their culture/and I watch a lot of K-dramas. However I don't know when I would use that unless, I like went on vacation.

Is it better to just pick on and stick with it even if I don't enjoy it fully? Or do I need to be 100% committed before I begin.

Speaking to friends in languages most people can't understand more than 10% of.

Talking to people in real life and writing to them on Sup Forums.

ma se skudji ti zo'e di'u

Wheelock has a few upsides, but if you're looking for something less rule-based and more involved, I'd say Ecce Romani is a good idea. When you're well into the 2nd book you should try Fabulae Graecae.

>/lang/
>people post colangs
no thanks bruv

palci bropre

Italienisch bitte.

I started one and started watching and then immediately closed it and started with anki instead because I actually wanted to learn a language

I'd say do korean based off of that. It's much more important for the language to grab you if you want to get good at it. When you know a language, you search for ways to use it.

Mandarin ain't so bad though, and their culture will develop in the future.

how are you supposed to learn a language from flash cards

Flashcards can be pretty advanced. They can easily do anything that shit programs like duolingo can do, and the SRS makes it more efficient. You can test audio, vocab, cloze-deletion to fill in words, etc.

Flash cards are pure information. If you do flashcards for an hour you have taken in an hours worth of information. If you watch a lecture for an hour you take in 10 minutes of information and 50 minutes of filler.

where do I get cards? I have like 8 flashcards then I gave up on anki

What resources are you using to learn Lojban? Any good ones for vocabulary? I might start learning Lojban again.

Well it helps a lot if you choose a language that already has good premade decks with audio and such that you can customize a bit. Otherwise you'd have to put in tons of work ripping audio from places that have sample conversations and such to create cards from that, or use things like subs2srs if you have access to tv that has subs in the language you're learning.

For vocab, you just make them yourself. Some dictionaries let you get definitions in a format where you can just save it in a text file and import them all to anki directly.

Like if I was learning french, what I would do is download this: ankiweb.net/shared/info/1089240419
And just start going through it with audio on the front, the transcription and translation on the back. Any new words, you look up and add to a vocab deck. If you don't find very many new word, just look for vocab from other sources like frequency lists or reading material or whatever to add. (I haven't tested this deck for french though so take this with a grain of salt)

I'm studying the grammar right now, using the pdf on the drive: drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B9QDHej9UGAdWktqVk9aaDAyZ1E
I plan on using Anki for memorizing the words

Oh also, I guess often you can find decks with high frequency words that include vocab too. Like for french it seems there is one. So I would go through that, and instead of creating new cards when words came up in the sentence deck, I would search for them in the premade audio-included vocab deck and reposition them to the front. Although you'd still have to make audioless cards for lower frequency words that don't have audio files

Just use memrise ffs

>says the lad who speaks one

Hebrew is older than your cunt

C O N L A N G
O
N
L
A
N
G

desperate

>americans in charge of discussing languages
NOLANG

N E R D S!

:(

I want to learn korean.
would i get a basic level learning by myself?

You can learn almost any language by yourself if you can find the resources (and also native material to expose yourself to).

If people can learn a dead language like Latin, I don't see why you can't learn Korean by yourself. The great thing about Korean is that they have a sensible writing system that's phonetic.

Any tips for learning German?

silenzio el baka

馬鹿な日本人

move to germany xD

Don't

I made a Cyrilic Hebrew alphabet
is anyone interested in seeing it please say yes

go ahead

Ok, here is the Hebrew letters, with their Latin and Cyrillic counterparts

אַ A A
ב B Б
V B
ג G Г
ד D Д
ה H h
E E
ו O O
U У
ז Z З
ח CH Х
ט T T
י J Й
כ K К
ל L Л
נ N H
ס S C
ע Ä Aъ
פ P П
צ C Ц
ק Q Къ
r R P
ש SH/Š Ш
ת TH Tъ
Sample Text:
HEB: ישראל היא מדינה במזרח התיכון
LAT: Israel hi medina bamizrach hatichon
CYR: иcpaeл he мeдинa бaьмизpaх haьтихoн

How soon after starting one language is it ok to try and learn another one? Will I confuse myself?

Languages do not have a special place in your brain, you learn it just like any other skill. You can learn 20 different languages at the same time if you want

thanks bro, have a Sup Forums pass :DDDD

Depends how similar the languages are in my limited experience. I struggle with Italian and French but didn't have any problems when I favored in Danish at the time as learning Italian.

Meant dabbled not favored

I've been playing vidya in german trying to convince myself I'm absorbing the language but I don't think that's the case it's feeling like it's not going anywhere

When talking and reading, i'm mostly thinking in English tho.

tbqh, cyrillic looks more aesthetic.

鳀嬲鷍

desu you probably aren't going to learn much from a video game. go watch news or something maybe, or read something.

Can anyone recommend some good polish t.v. shows? Or really anything to watch in polish that is interesting.

ôqósòþe rirido êkêyu ìhne ànanwusi xîtë lôrà ûqümul ügúhuwó wámú mëlê hìbîwul ùmas ihar fèvas ôpterwu bátô äva ënab ôwózirir urúsumul ükúhru àgárir aqànse ärâ ir övótul úxûb éhèdsi övóqse âbâflepsex îsir éhèdsi ôpôtre üxre sumusi êcar ónï ûqübre íqiwatï ipiqre âswe tar göfan ürùlufò upuhsi ákâkle ösòtòdatse úvü édêjizli ìzìli ärir özóqse ànse ùcúpan ügú ïcîxtu özógin zul îfan war ósòpit ákâkle ópolotre tíjse ódöhogò ìnîcà ûmùru obit idipù úxûmùru owömul ûkùkre ïwïviþe èrënan özobin eqèzin zëmi ïdï

>it's a priori

Is it?

idk desu senpai, but it sort of looks to be.

Could it be Ithkuil?

I don't think ithkuil has þ / thorn in its alphabet.

鳥飆嬝表
標嬝鏢嫋

It's more like a thorn in my eyes! XD

hi ha algù que està aprenent català?

I don't think anyone here is, but there was some catalan dude in the last thread.

coi gu'e .e'ende be fi lo ka sezycatra gi xebni be lo xebro .i ze'a ma do co'e la .lojban.

coi poi'i so'i da djuno lo du'u ga'a ke'a dei ni'i tu'a zo poi'i na gendra

I don't understand what you wrote as I started learning it yesterday but I'm glad there's a Lojban enthusiast here