Suckless

Has anybody on Sup Forums converted to the suckless lifestyle of minimal, simply designed software? When I listen to people like Anselm Garbe talk it sounds like an appealing alternative to the mess that Linux is slowly turning into.
youtube.com/watch?v=PcoDTpwRzWY

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/martanne/vis
tedunangst.com/flak/post/sct-set-color-temperature
git.2f30.org/noice/
clex.sk/about.html
github.com/muennich/sxiv
wiki.debian.org/Dwm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>GNU/Linux
suckless/BSD

I sent him an email once about choosing a good distro without systemd. He told me to use alpine or something. Believe it or not he uses ubuntu. Probably got the mini iso.

Yeah man, i use dwm. Best wm ever

uriel or garbe?

think i may give it a shot, been awhile since I gave a tiling wm a fair shake.
maybe i'll do it once I get my thinkpad librebooted.

I remember hearing him speak saying that he uses ubuntu as his daily driver now. That kind of flys in the face of suckless doesn't it?

why not coreboot instead?

maybe we'll see. last time i tried i wasn't able to it done.

You do realize suckless is supposed to be a satire, right?

Then why did they write all that software?

No, this is Sup Forums, we have autism.
Thousands of lines of C code is the more "simple" choice for us.

The same reason mark zuckerberg made facebook

to make money?

>sane programming languages
>simple for Sup Forums

And how exactly are they gonna do datamining on a program with a not only open but also very short source code ?

No to troll idiots sillies

>they trust me, dumb fucks
This amazingly makes total sense.
To laugh at the nigger cattle.
This.

>writing systems software in C is unreasonable
oh you

And how exactly will providing decent software troll anyone?

Suckless sucks. Everything is messed into single file with little comments, C is quite obfuscation, zero tests and it's not that hard to write simple config file with yacc.
They are still using POSIX C, unix terminal and ncurses, which are the most sucking things. Trying to make a software that "doesn't suck" with them is just a workaround.

It's not, but assessing functionality of software at that resolution requires high functioning assburgerz as a minimum.

>decent software
just lol

Have you seen this board?
Do you think the idiots running tiling window managers to have EVERY dotfile they use open in a vim window on their 3 monitors accomplishes anything beyond neetbucks?

C is obfuscation? Maybe to someone who can barely read code.

It's pretty alright. I like it.
Could be better though.

Networkimg is C is, proper utf-8 is, lack of namespaces and xlib naming is, posix threads is.

You're just changing the subject.

t. pajeet

>learning an API is too hard to do
>I think this codebase is bad quality when there arent comments everywhere
git gud

it's a good bit

i won't go djb/pure-suckless tier but i take bits and pieces. i use musl, openrc/runit, alpine, busybox (i tried sbase a while ago and that's alright too)

s/learning/using/
s/everywhere/anywhere/

>sucksmore faggots
Why don't you create a subreddit hugbox and fuck off back to there?

I've been really impressed by musl, really underrated bit of work there.

Spotted the Spaniard

Just use Plan9 C

I've never used reddit. Way to project, redditor.

No, it's aspirational.

Man, apk is an amazing package manager. It's too bad musl Emacs is kind of broken. I don't think it's actually an Emacs thing, but I can't get EXWM to work on Alpine. Too bad, too, because the boot time is insane.

>git gud
but git also sucks

Trust me, would love to.

Sup Forums isnt suckless why would you post here

I like dmenu and st but that's about it

i suckless unironically
st + tmux =

oh yea dmenu and sic :3

On my other laptop st and dwm is awesome. The defaults work perfect out of the box, I'm surprised how I can live without scrolling on st and if I wanted scrolling I just turn on tmux or screen. One of these days I should compile lfs with suckless tools only, it's already perfect so I only need to update once a year if it's something other than the kernel

Uriel was a living fucking contrarian and literally a died (IRL) from the same cancer he spread.

>terminal applications running on a terminal window manager running on top of a terminal emulator on top of a wm
Uriel didn't for this shit

*die

uriel considered himself harmful

cat-v > succless
take the problem at its core

how is using bash in tmux in st in weston bad you nigger

>using weston
that's even worse

how?

Yeah but coreboot isn't run by transgendered and you wouldn't want to be transphobic in $currentYear would you comrade?

uses glib and systemd both featured in suckless.org/sucks

yea sis temd sucks 4sure
> a week of uptime
> half a gig of ram missing (pretty sure its cistemd memory leak)
> reboot
> it stuck
> have hard turn off
fuck

or
> reboot
> didn't unmount /home/user
grrrrrrrrrr

but im not using x

Yes, it only takes finding a certain application you need to replace you day-to-day work and setting up all.

vi-like editor with structural regexes and Lua bindings - github.com/martanne/vis
screen color temperature in 40 loc of C - tedunangst.com/flak/post/sct-set-color-temperature
small file browser - git.2f30.org/noice/

>small file browser - git.2f30.org/noice/
got any pictures?

cwd: /path/of/directory

> LICENSE
Makefile
README
config.def.h
config.h
mktest.sh
noice*
noice.1
noice.c
noice.o
strlcat.c
strlcat.o
strlcpy.c
strlcpy.o
util.h

navigations with arrows, emacs-like or vi-like
config.h contains settings like what extensions to open with what program and keybindings

looks noice, wish this had image previews like ranger, just saying

clex.sk/about.html

workaround might be to bind sxiv (image viewer) to show thumbnail mode for current directory
github.com/muennich/sxiv
the w3m rendering is weird and caca would need a work to get rig of single column, but that wouldn't be 800 loc anymore

There is a ranger script for sxiv I might reuse for this, thanks.

no, I actually make money. Uriel killed himself because he realized he was an absolute loser who traded away a good career to be a hipster. This entire "all software is bad" shit is just a result of snowflakes freaking out that they can't be different anymore because other people online use linux too so it becomes a race to the grave.

"simply designed"
this is hipster speak for "shit on purpose so you don't use it"

grabe. I was really fucking surprised he used the amazon spyware distro

I don't use alpine. But i bet the boot time is insane because the userland isn't gnu i think

It's more likely due to a better init system. Void has really good boot time as well.

If any of you use debian and like dwm but don't know how to customize it

wiki.debian.org/Dwm

God i love the debian wiki

What on earth made you think that? I hope you're not just assuming things.

Both don't use systemd but void uses gnu userland.

That's literally my point. I don't think GNU userland affects boot time at all.

Not that fast. I recently installed it in a VM. About 13-14 seconds to login with a fresh install. My Arch VM is faster. Both are on an SSD.

I heard alpine ships with like 60 packages. Super minimal. While void is bloat and ships with like 200 something. I think there is some significance with the packages and the userland

Why would that matter at all for booting? Not ever program is launched on startup.

>Arch
BLOAT

Whatever, dude. I'm just saying that the boot time isn't "insane".