Opinions on Debian? Arch is good but takes up too much time I need to use for studying

Opinions on Debian? Arch is good but takes up too much time I need to use for studying.

Other urls found in this thread:

cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/
wiki.debian.org/DebianReleases.
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Stretch is solid. You can install it and get on with shit. Only found 2 issues in the 25+ installs ive done so far, both driver related, so my opinion is: bretty gud.

does it even have a firewall ootb?

Debian is good, OP.

Why bother distro hopping, you'll just end up with something based on debian anyway. One thing to note is that you'll need to apt install sudo. It doesn't come with sudo by default.

Other than that, debian is smooth sailing.

I guess iptables is still a thing.

I'd recommend it. If you are just wanting to install a distro and not waste much time (though this is a myth), AND, if you happen to like XFCE then use Xubuntu. I can't recommend enough.

However, to answer your question, Debian is a solid choice, even as stretch/stable.

Also ufw (or gufw for GUI)

so if i go startmenu>iptables i get to open them ports for bittorrent and mpd and ftp and whatever?

openpepe has yast and yast has firewall configuration like this, does debian have something like this?
t. same

Went from stretch to testing, and I'm regretting it

- some QT apps like psi-plus don't obey the global dark theme setting
- getting a shitload of iowait (>300%) whenever I have to copy y a big file
- nouveau module sucks dick and eats up at least a couple of codes at all times
- weird annoying stuff like desktop icons not responding to anything, double clicks, context menu options, etc

I'd recommend to stay in stretch, I'm regretting the upgrade I made on my two systems.

Debian life, huh.

Debian is garbage user, it failed to even install properly, I thought i fucked up the image but I redownloaded and burned onto a fresh CD twice, still the same problem, so much for a "stable distro", be smart and go with Linux Mint

>I failed to even install
subhuman

>nouveau module sucks dick and eats up at least a couple of codes at all times
DUH, you aren't supposed to use it if you have drivers available for your card

debian sid >>> ubuntu

lol that's embarrassing breh

>I redownloaded and burned onto a fresh CD twice
You mean that you burned the additional software to a CD and tried installing that

Linux mint is just a horrible Frankenstein of debian and Ubuntu and Ubuntu is a horrible Frankenstein of debian.
Mint is a triple horrible Frankenstein from debian.

Arch, gentoo, nixos. These are the actually usable distros for personal use.

Can I get a random mac address through yast?

I hope you dont like drivers

I use Arch on my school laptop tho

Why don't people use and recommended void Linux?

i've no idea
why would someone want a random mac address?

I used Fedora for three years after messing with Linux for about 4.Did a version upgrade every year, everything was neatly partitioned and got it all working again after a couple hours, didn't have to fiddle with anything else afterwards. It just werks, and I have more time to do actual work instead of jerking off to terminals.

Depends what you're using it for. I'm having to use some C++ framework that's buggy as fuck under Arch. I can use it, but I am constantly having to modify the framework to get it to play nicely on my Arch laptop and it's not good for my productivity.

Paranoia. I don't feel comfortable if I can't spoof some settings.

> burned onto a fresh CD _twice_

user, what year is it?!

But I do C++ too onii-f.am
Hard mode: I actually use Artix

Have you ever tried linux mint or repeat shit someone just told you?

Debian is one of best distros ever. Debian is very stable so many linux sysadmins installs it on the server. Godlike stability makes debian OS you can allways trust.

Also debian is alot easier in install and use than archlinux.

But if you are looking for even more easy and out of the box distro(to save even more time). Try linux mint being know for "it just works", it makes alot of configuration for you by itself, also stuff like activating firewall or installing drivers can be made by just 2 clicks. Also is shipped with additional software (like libre office, gimp, inkscape etc.) so you can work just after install.

What about arch anywhere guys? Should i install arch this way? Is it safe?

Well it just an installer. It just does all this shit you must write on console for you, you just choose kernel, DE, additional apps and after waiting you have fully functional arch linux installed.

But still it is archlinux so it comes with same problems what any archlinux has

It only makes instalation easier. Same as revenge/zen installer

>try to install debian on my thinkpad
>need a special package for nonfree wifi drivers
>can't install special package without internet access from within the operating system

I like Debian, but IDK how arch takes up more time than it? The package management uses the same basic "sudo x install y" formula, only difference is Debian uses apt and arch uses pacman. idk how you'd call arch slower.

>Not using the nonfree edition

Link?

>not installing debian using wired network

Not him but I found it in one second by googling "debian nonfree iso". You're just waiting with your mouth open for someone to spoonfeed you.

cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/

>2017
>having a ethernet port
do you hate innovation this much?
yikes

if you use ufw, yes
everything is open by default otherwise

>not wanting gigabit/10gigabit stable speed on your laptop
>calls others "hating innovation"
wget --a-load of://this.guy

I do and I recommend it

>2016+1
>Not using the superior ethernet port
It's sad to be you

Debian is great if you're a noob scrub.
Any serious hacking or hardcore programming is done on Arch.

>Any serious hacking or hardcore programming is done on Arch.
a-user...

Fact: Arch users know more about Linux than Debabbies

debian takes more time
anal shit with stupid installer
fuck debian

Nobody in the real word uses arch.
It's only used on this board to satisfy the muh bleeding edge autism.

I have seen a lot of distros used professionally, be it for programming, security related tasks or system administration, not once have I seen arch.
It's an okay OS, it's bare bones, configurable and stuff, but there is reasons why debian or derivatives are as popular as they are.

Shit's outdated unless you use other repositories, in which case why use Debian?

>burned onto a fresh CD
LMAO straight out of 2005.
Most distros recommend a wired connection to install wireless drivers, newfag.
Although I didn't need that when I installed a debian stable based distro.

Ubuntu brought Debian to where it needs to be. Debian should just merge into Ubuntu. Do not install Debian; install Ubuntu.

Just tether your phone's WiFi/Data connection to your laptop via USB and install the module, brainlet.

Logo is a pedo swirl. Implies product may be subversive.

Or, get a chink or any mid tier phone. Literally any. Pick a DSLR or an Instax/Polariod if you're a camwhore if you're all about "muh camera" to go along. I don't get why people buy flagships, they have the worst Return on Investments, aren't rich people supposed to be smart with their expenditures (except saudi princes and instagram models)?

>DUH, you aren't supposed to use it if you have drivers available for your card
Why not?

It works OK in one of my laptops with a newer GPU

Arch only takes up too much time if you're doing it wrong, used it for a solid 2 years haven't had any problems and it lets me get on with things easier because of the AUR. I don't know where this meme came from.

Just installed Debian without a DE, can someone link me to some guide on how to connect to a WPA2 network? The wiki is a bit confusing

Lightweight:
apt-get install wicd wicd-curses

Heavyweight:
apt-get install network-manager-gnome

I don't like how in ufw you have to switch on the firewall when you are on public network and switch it off when you are in trusted networks
I find firewalld is much better for laptops because it integrates with networkmanager and let's you assign connections to zones so you have services blocked and allowed depending on where you are

Of course if you are not on a laptop and you are not changing networks often shorewall is the best

It's linux, but this time nothing breaks. I guess that's the idea right? 'Cutting edge' software is a massive meme compared to stable software. I don't see myself switching from Debian any time soon. It still has a good degree of customizability too, so as far as getting the experience you want out of it, I don't think it falls short. Plus it's easy to install now.

it's pretty good, it never tries to do anything amazing but never fails at what it's made for. I've switched from Ubuntu to Debian and I'm never going back.

Install linuxmint. Debian is deprecated.

There are always these threads every week or so, "is X distro stable, good??" Yes most distros are irrelevant and bad. Some are good and useful. I'd recommend the most used ones and the longest running. Something not hard, or too easy. Use Debian if you want to get into GNU/Linux. All distros are shit including Ubuntu, which most noobs use when they first start out.

I personally use Debian because the documentation is solid and it's the longest running. I hate it when people trash it, they say "Old packages". There is all kinds of packages for each category. The repos are versatile. I don't use old packages or the latest ones, i use something in between that are up to date. wiki.debian.org/DebianReleases. So that's buster

I'd say use Debian if you want to get into gnu/linux or in general or use gentoo if you are a very very advanced gnu/linux user.

I think mac spoofing is a standard feature in network manager now
or just use macchanger

Why does debian use systemd? I see advanced linux users on Sup Forums constantly complain about systemd's faults.
Are debian developers retarded?

>takes up too much time
What? Nigger, I work full time, maintain a house I paid for, cook, clean, all that normie shit that life requires, and I still find time to maintain not only 5 Arch installs, but 2 Ubuntu servers, a shitload of virtualized stuff, and a (*gags violently*) Mac for my wife. Get good faggot. Switching to Debian is not going to make anything easier.

But wouldn't yast overwrite it?

Man I just gave up and went to windows. Sup Forums shills about how bloated, virus ridden, spyware, etc... It has been solid and worry free for me and has kept me from fucking around with my computer and just studying. I will go back to Linux when I graduate in a year.

it wasn't an easy decision
I remember a core debian developer went postal about this and resigned
also you cannot escape systemd at this point, every major distro is using it, get over it
maybe will be not so bad after some competent developer fix lennart shit

Stretch was put on stable like yesterday and anyone rushing to upgrade/dist-upgrade withing the first months is _amateur_.
Debian pulls all of the packages from unstable in the first weeks and then they do the fixing of any given issues. Packages appear and disappear easily according to their bugs and security setting.
You don't blindly upgrade everytime you remember it just for the sake of it. If you don't want things to be slightly off the usual behaviour, then wait at least for the first freeze to happen or come closer.
Unless you know what you upgrade, don't blindly do it.

I've never bothered trying testing. Sid/unstable has always been stable enough when I was using Debian. I use Gentoo now and it's way better though.

Than make a void Linux general

It's not a very established distro and it mostly seems like the lead devs testing grounds for xbps. Also I prefer OpenRC as an init system over runit because runit doesn't do dependencies well.

Linux Mint is shit for security. They've had infected isos before and they often hold back security updates for stability.

Arch users and Debian users usually know about the same. Gentoo users on the other hand actually know things about GNU/Linux.

I just use iptables raw with a little script I made with some presets for different systems.

Because the debian technical team filled with red hat people decided that they didn't need a vote to switch init systems and because Ian who was against systemd died.

Are you functionally retarded?

> current year + 2
> spending hours making your operating system look like teletext

ugggghhh

not many opinions, it works and works well

How about Crunchbang?

Enjoy your ransomware

Last I heard crunchbang was dead. Also I'm pretty sure crunchbang was just a preconfigured debian so it wasn't very frankendebian.

Debian used to be the Universal Operating System, then they killed Ian so they could get SystemD in there, so now I use Devuan.

No, there are plenty of alternatives and people should avoid systemd, it's too big to be audited and the developers produce very scanty documentation. It's also very heavy on older or smaller systems.

>died
"died"
(((died)))

Gentoo is the better systemd-free experience. Devuan still uses an old version of systemd-udevd and still pulls in libsystemd for a lot of packages. Gentoo has eudev and never needs to pull in systemd as long as you have the -systemd use flag.

>ransomware
I haven't had an issue with this. I stick to commonsense™

Gentoo is for young lads who are fascinated by unix and want to spend time on it. Gentoo is also for grown ass men with a lot of free time and manage a small number of machines. It's my favorite OS. That being said
Debian is for grown ass men who have a life (job, family, kids etc) and manage 10-1000 of machines. So I just run debian on everything these days and enjoy balance in my life.