Going to study CS/SE next year and a need a laptop

Going to study CS/SE next year and a need a laptop.

What's the best laptop between 700 to1000 aud or 550-800 usd?

Other urls found in this thread:

anandtech.com/show/12038/ryzen-mobile-now-on-sale-hps-envy-x360
android-enjoyed.com/apple-macbook-air-2017-128gb-13-inch-laptop-mqd32ll-a-silver.html
harveynorman.com.au/apple-macbook-air-13-3-128gb.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Thinkpad or macbook pro. Battery life and portability more important that power as long as it has a decent dual core / 4 thread cpu.

Since you're in Aus I assume they charge out the ass for macbooks so see whether you can get a newer thinkpad like T440 to T470 or if a refurb T420/T430 with battery+ssd+8/12GB RAM upgrades is more in your budget. Dell Latitudes and HP elitebooks can also be good.

If not even that works get a nice chromebook or some other durable and light laptop. Ignore consumer crap like that plague, even if the specs are good on paper.

MacBook Pro

Don't fall for the cheaper Chinese ASUS/Lenovo meme... yeah specs are higher but you will feel awkward in class because almost everyone is using MacBooks. It may sound shallow but you will be the one feeling like a working class poorfag if you don't own a Mac.

get a gun and shoot yourself

stop projecting you fucking insecure faggot

you actually should feel bad if you overpaid for a machine with lower specs and not if you did a reasonable choice

Used T450

/thread

I was thinking about getting a macbook but the lowest cost one is 1.8k usd. I might be able to scrape that much money up, but is osx that well supported with these degrees?

*AUD

>he fell for cs meme
It’s the most saturated environment on the job market. Become an electrician, there’s still time. You’ll grow out of being a reclusive shut in if you move away from that career too man!

Get a MacBook, otherwise you'll feel awkward in class. Don't repeat my mistakes.
It also looks better to the opposite gender ; )

Mate i was going to be an electrician and got a cert 2 in it but the city i live in is a shit hole and no one can get apprenticeships.

There might be some decent raven ridge laptops out if you can wait a bit

Do you think they'll be out by February?

At least a few

Macbook is the way to go. You can get a mac book air for 1.5k aud with the minimum specs. Believe me, impressions mean more than what laptop you use, so even if you hate macOS go with it.

I'm in CS since nearly 5 years.
I had 4 laptops:
>Some Toshiba shit
>Then some Acer that looked nice but I realized it's shit after about 1 year
>Dell XPS13, it's really portable, light, great battery life but the keyboard sucks, no coreboot, bad upgradability

I also own a X200, T400 and T500(all librebooted).
I'm going to buy a X220 or T420 soon because thinkpads are the only real laptops everything else is shit.

consider this:
anandtech.com/show/12038/ryzen-mobile-now-on-sale-hps-envy-x360

Don't know about Australian universities, but universities in UK and US pretty much use unix machines in classrooms. So either get a mac or some laptop with good linux support.

But seriously, just get a macbook, In case you decide to dev for MacOS or iOS somewhere along the line, you won't need to buy new hardware. Average windows laptop + obsolete used macbook is more expensive than a new low spec mac. Hackintoshes void developer agreement.

t. someone who bought a 2009 unibody macbook just so he could export and publish iOS apps

Okay I've decided on a macbook air. The cheapest i've found is this : android-enjoyed.com/apple-macbook-air-2017-128gb-13-inch-laptop-mqd32ll-a-silver.html

Would this come with some foreign charger/have compatibility issues with me using it in Australia?

>Okay I've decided on a macbook air.
Don't buy a macbook

I once also wanted to buy one but then I realized that there are better laptops out there that are quite similar to macbooks but with better performace.

I'm not from Australia but this site seems kinda sketchy. And the reviews for this site are horrible.

With about 1 min of searching I can see they don't go for that much more in AU.
harveynorman.com.au/apple-macbook-air-13-3-128gb.html

This is a waste of money.
1.8Ghz dual core for 1000$
My x200 has a better processor.

You won't be able to get any work done in CS with this shitty laptop.

Would you be able to offer any alternatives?

Thinkpad, if your going to be programming you need to have a good keyboard
Kys shill

>better performace
Don't fucking listen to him.

4 years later you are going to buy a new laptop way before it starts underperforming. Physical damage/shit irreplaceable battery will mostly likely cause you to buy a new one.

Good battery life, reliable hardware and unix/unix-like os is what you need the most, user. If you need power you might as well stick with desktop.

T420/30/40 + a desktop
basically get a desktop for 500-600 and whichever model of thinkpad you can get for the rest 9f the money

>Would you be able to offer any alternatives?
I own a Dell XPS 13.

>Better battery life
>Better performance
>Great build quality
>Easier to upgrade
>Great Linux support
>Smaller bezels
>Better I/O

If you really want a portable, durable and cheap laptop I would recommend a X220

Yeah, that's what i was thinking. I bought a 600 dollar Asus laptop about a year ago and it has fell apart over the last year until a point where it's basically unusable. My old Macbook pro lasted from 2009 to 2014.

>Yeah, that's what i was thinking. I bought a 600 dollar Asus laptop about a year ago and it has fell apart over the last year until a point where it's basically unusable. My old Macbook pro lasted from 2009 to 2014.
A thinkpad will last even longer.
My T400 is from 2009 and it works perfectly and is in nearly pristine condition

>Want reliable hardware
>Buy laptop with same chinese shit as every other except everything is soldered down so you can't repair it and is 3 times the price

I've had a macbook before and it worked perfectly for 6 years. I've owned an Asus laptop that couldn't last a year and a dell laptop that barely lasted 2. Macbooks last longer in my experience.

>I have thinkpad
>gf has thinkpad
what

Before you listen to fellow Sup Forumsentoomen, you should consider that most of them lurk on a website where the majority of threads are gaming hardware shill wars or ricing linux distributions on their lenovo shitters. Most of them have never owned a mac and most hate them because they can't afford them. Most people have never written code other than a fizzbuzz-like code excercise, let alone produced actually used software.

Yes, macs don't offer good bang for your buck when you look at performance. But their reliability, battery life, build quality and OS are great. It would suit your needs and be pretty versatile.

If you can't afford one or want to get something different, listen to this user . Buy a laptop with good battery life, screen and linux support. Just please, don't buy a gaming pc. And a vintage Thinkpad won't be able to run IDEs smoothly.

The more computer related your field is, the less you need a computer to get your degree.
If you already have a laptop, don't update until you are at least a year into your degree.

Thanks, you've pushed me over the line, i'm buying a macbook air 2017. I only need it for notes and light workloads as i have a decent pc at home. I would never buy a gaming laptop as I've seen friends buy them for 2k+ dollars with half an hour battery life with shit performance in games.

Don't buy expensive laptops. They break quick and have relatively bad specs.

Buy a cheap used Thinkpad for school work and save the rest of your money for building a pc for gaming/media.

Lol retard. You should major in transexual native American studies if you like wasting money so much.

Does your uni teach C/C++/C# in the intro courses?

If so, have fun running a slow a virtual machine to boot Windows just to use Visual Studio.

gender fluid meteorological behavioral studies is objectively the best major.

How am I wasting money?

$600 Thinkpad T440P with maxed out spec should be enough until you graduate!

Bootcamp is a thing.

C# is the only one that might push you towards windows

Beginners don't want to fuss with all that.

I meant to quote
If you are him you are wasting money by buying an overpriced as shit computer.

All laptops are overpriced pieces of shit. I might as well buy the one that lasts the longest.

This, but dualboot with Windows is possible on a Mac, but windows +MacOS dualboot is not really viable on a windows laptop.

It probably would. But only if op is willing to buy a used laptop. If not, new Thinkpads and other enterprise laptops are horrible value for your money.

It doesn't matter because you're going to be SSHing into the school machines anyway and you don't need heavy computing power to understand theory in your early years.

This is an offshoot, but if you're going to curtin uni, get a ThinkPad. An x220 is only a few hundres and if you later wany to go to a macbook you can sell the thinkpad gor most if what you got it for.

No a thinkpad only costs a few hundred and lasts forever

Going to Adelaide, I know there are going to be a bunch of rich kids and i'm pretty sure 80 plus percent of people there will have macbooks. I'm just going to buy the cheapest macbook air 2017 i can get.

Finishing up my CS degree, and my 2013 13" Macbook Pro has done me fine. OS X is great, the native Unix shell is really nice (not that this can't be done on Windows though), it can run Windows if it needs to, and it's the only way to do iOS development. I'll shill for it.

Honestly, you generally don't need much power for CS assignments though. Your average computer could easily run most of the stuff you'd ever write barring fancy 3D graphics or heavy algorithmic stuff. An external monitor is honestly more important - it's a bitch to juggle your code, your terminal window/GUI program, and a stackOverflow tab on a small screen.

>And a vintage Thinkpad won't be able to run IDEs smoothly.
Depends what you define as vintage.

I have used a T520 in my internship with AutoCAD and Visual Studio which worked pretty smooth.
My T500,T400,X200 are also capable of running IDEs smoothly.

>Thanks, you've pushed me over the line, i'm buying a macbook air 2017. I only need it for notes and light workloads as i have a decent pc at home. I would never buy a gaming laptop as I've seen friends buy them for 2k+ dollars with half an hour battery life with shit performance in games.
If you are just going to take notes and use it for light workloads, wouldn't a chromebook be better for that tasks?

Was thinking of a chromebook but if i want to do something with it I'm shit out of luck.

>t. paid shill

>blocks your path

Even Linus knows macs are toddler toys for children.

inspiron 13

Strange, I wonder why 5 year old Lenovo shitters are not mentioned among Linus' machines? Surely he must know they are the superior choice?

MACTODDLERS BTFO

>itoddler has to fake screenshots to defend his gay fruit toys
lmao

>6 years ago

Dude, my kid is 2 and it feels like a lifetime ago.

if you take an ios development course you can buy a cheapo mac mini that can run the latest macos and later sell it or try a osx vm (not that hard, depending on your cpu/gpu it can have shitty lag tho)

Ideapad 720s and don't even fucking think about arguing with me you autistic fucks

What if I told you you can get an office job with a CS degree and still have a life outside of your 8 hours of work everyday? A life that doesn't have to have anything to do with computers because it's a free country

MacBook pro just download virtual box and install a Linux distro. If you're studying Computer Science you should have a desktop with good specs, but in terms of build quality and software reliability go MacBook Pro. Even visual studio is now available for MacBooks. I'm sorry, but laptop windows just feels clunky. Windows 10 on the desktop is much better, but OSX on the go is the best for programming.

Holy shit. Do people like this really exist?

remember that anywhere up to 90% of comments in these consumer threads are paid firms spamming whatever marketing tactics are shown to work

bump

Kek

idk a used thinkpad?

About MacBook usually are used to developer for iOS, on CS/SE you won't had specific software solutions, windows for Visual Studio,Mac os for Xcode,Linux for servers.

On Electric engineer or another engineer usually windows machine with a lot only windows design,test,simulation,integration or developer software for engineer.

Did cs in an aussie uni. They had a mix of windows and osx, with a common CentOS server for running bash and compiling simple c programs with gcc.

raven ridge.
or that intel + amd glued together package

Unironically a thinkpad

thinkpad x200 with libreboot installed

>being this insecure

I miss times when you could piss on mactoddlers being vaio owner. Too bad vaio is dead.

hp x360 with r5 is out, 2 more laptops from acer and lenovo will be out before christmas, but they will feature r7 therefore will cost more. I don't expect more models to come out before february, hp is the closest shot here.
HP, lenovo and acer are all crappy manufacturers though.

bought a used surface pro 3 i7 256 gb. Best decicion ever. Good battery life (if youre only using it for taking notes with the pen or in word), light and durable.

>Good battery life
Something mac doesn't have
>Physical damage/shit irreplaceable battery will mostly likely cause you to buy a new one.
Something mac is suffers from
>before it starts underperforming
It is low tier shit so it will underperform out of the box
Mirror world: the post

Acer Swift 3

If I want to develop for mac os, do I need anything besides the cheapest hardware that runs macos? Because I've read here that hackintosh voids developer agreement

X1 Carbon, T470

or Dell XPS 15

which uni?

Personally I've wanted a 2012 MacBook air for a while now. I may finally do it since the used price has come down. But it's taken 5 years for it to come down to 50% off MSRP. In that same time you've seen used cpus fall to 10% MSRP.

Harvey Norman is a big brand here, wouldn't disagree with bad reviews but as far as being sketchy it's not

>good
Buy the cheapest shit you can find and just have a good stationary
.t CS student

PS. Don't you fucking dare to go SE

>CS since nearly 5 years
>CS in EU is 3 years
>some US is 4
wtf are you doing?

Hey retard, what the fuck do you need 4 cores for in CS?

t. 3rd year CE with with good grades and a dual core laptop, underclocked to 1ghz for better battery life

jokes on them im literally a trust fund baby and even I would never buy a mac

this
whats more is that he could have said "final year" to save himself the trouble
ergo hes probably not even close to finishing yet

>saturated
I hate this buzzword. Everything is saturated. As long as you perform better than a majority your peers and make the right connections, it doesn't matter how "saturated" anything is.

Any used thinkpad with an i5 and you will probably be safe for CS at a fraction of the price.

inb4 muh games.

leave this board

Why can't he just use visual studio for mac? What's the actual difference between it and the one for mac os

As a high performing third year CS student in Australia- just get a Macbook.

Ur dumb and you should feel bad

You come here for advice and fail to listen to it. Buy a fucking thinkpad. It's stupid that Apple's still selling the air in 2017...