Retro PC thread...go!

Retro PC thread...go!

Other urls found in this thread:

warosu.org/g/thread/S63486703#p63496092
warosu.org/g/thread/S63486703#63503768
landsnail.com/ii-in-a-mac.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I've never seen a Mac II before and I've handled a lot of high end hardware.

The buggers cost around $7000, I can't imagine they sold many. In 2017 dollars that would be...what, $15,000?

IBM PC110 with the docking station and floppy drive.

Forgot to add, it isn't working with the original screen and still in the process to fix a big issue internal from replacement part for it.

>The Macintosh II is a personal computer designed, manufactured and sold by Apple Computer, Inc. from March 1987 to January 1990. It is the first model of the Macintosh II series, and the first Macintosh to support a color display. When first introduced, a basic system with 20 MB drive and monitor cost US$5,498 (equivalent to $11,590 in 2016). With a 13-inch color monitor and 8-bit display card the price was around US$7,145 (equivalent to $15,062 in 2016).[1] This price placed it in competition with workstations from Silicon Graphics, Sun Microsystems, and Hewlett-Packard.

warosu.org/g/thread/S63486703#p63496092

I recall Bil Herd saying that they didn't expect the computers to last more than three years at which point you'd buy the new model.

cool

I just got one today. Dual 16bit video cards, two monitors, its very yellowed though and needs to be jumped to start. $80.

I want to get some old software on here, and maybe an IDE like mpw. But the floppy drive is variable speed so idk how to get data to it

Fuck meant to post an image

You'd have to use a null modem cable to transfer data. Ask on Vintage Computer Forum for the details.

I actually ordered one a few minutes ago, gonna have to make some kind of ghetto adapter to work with the proprietary plug on the back.

The serial ports on 80s-90s Macs are RS-422 rather than the RS-232 standard used on PCs, the port can operate in RS-232 mode if an adapter is used.

The original Mac 128/512 had standard D-shell 9-pin serial ports, this was changed on the Plus to DIN plugs for some reason (FCC regulations?)

Looks like im gonna have to make an RS-422 to RS-232 null modem adapter cable

What reasons are there to have an actual Amiga over emulating one on PC/Raspi?

Is the sound not accurate on emu? Other inaccuracies? Anything at all, no matter how niche?

This thread? Again???

Thanks!

You can buy these.

The retro PC threads on /vr/ are garbage, you don't want to use them.

I know. I'm grateful for this thread.
Sorry if the post seemed like sarcasm.

Also get a NuBus ethernet card in the long run and use FTP. Unless it already has one with AUI.
IIRC latter ones also had optional AAUI boards? Then you only need a AAUI transceiver.

Because marketers?

What do you mean? Like people trying to hint you to buy their PC parts on eBay?

warosu.org/g/thread/S63486703#63503768

Pentium3 probably, if not AMD from the same time.

What the fuck

landsnail.com/ii-in-a-mac.htm

Marketers who tried to shill their HxC floppy emulators and HDTV upscaler boxes.

When I was a kid I used to frequent this thrift shop that had a computer section. Well out back they had a big pile of broken tech empty cases, mostly printers and broken CRTs, but occasionally retards would, instead of bringing their computers inside to donate, would just leave them on the junk pile.

I scored over 15 separate machines including a Mac II and a Mac II CX. Never could get the Mac II running as it needed a special monitor, but the CX was a fucking beast.

If you have a good older Mac with a network connection cop some PhoneNET adapters, you can transfer whatever at slow as shit but still doable speeds over standard RJ-11 cables without any third-party utilities.

Shit from this site is overposted but fuck it's great quality

Hipster from reddit that shitposts retro pc threads there persistently. Pretends to have grown up in the 80s, gets everything he can't google easily from that era wrong.

Fresh guts shot

Worse than that. There's two of them that shitpost and argue constantly, one of them browses Sup Forums too sadly.

Anyone know what the last apple laptop with a internal floppy drive was?

It's easy to deal with those people, just ignore and hide.

Some PowerBook before the first iBook.

Wallstreet was the last to come with one.

Prismo could fit a specific VST model in the expansion bay but good luck finding one.

You guys personally have any machines yourself too like OP or you just like talking about old hardware? Just curious.

>petscii
it's like the green bubbles of the 80's

my oldest PC is a T41 thinkpad

Wrong thread

probably have 100-150 systems at this point

Anyone know anything about Yamaha FM midi modules?

I needs to read sram during startup and might be hanging because it's corrupt or blank. Check the battery inside and potentially also look for capacitors that have gone bad. You could also try a factory reset by holding the top left three buttons as you switch it on.

Holy shit, post some!

thank you.

do you live in a warehouse?

RIP BTRON

>Pretends to have grown up in the 80s
that's some bullshit
I hardly believe 50 year olds browse Sup Forums

cable management with flat ide cables always sucked

I gave it a go and then said fuck it. Not like airflow was ever a thing in that case.

You have the loose ones that are like round cables, those are slightly better, else with the flat ones, gendle bends can get you as good as it goes

This, airflow is not a problem
The "cablemanagement for airflow" is a pretty big "meme", there have been plenty of tests and cables are the least of things that disturb airflow

bump

Did it fix it?

Is it one of those 3dfx prototype cards?

No, the POST code card has nothing to do with the GPU.

bump

those are nice
thanks

Today is really slow, uh?

OwO

is CUTE

Just got my hands on one of these the other night.

Well shucks you showed me user xddddddd
I forgot the rule that I had to own five apple II s before posting
How about you fucking kill yourself?

It's a bloody holiday!

There was one guy with an Apple IIe that got into an argument with some people because they wanted him to show games running on it, but he refused to do anything but some terminal program.

you've probably seen it before
no, just a garage and two outbuildings :^)
the bulk of it are laptops honestly since you can fit like 20 on a shelf but I'm pretty into bulk-ass shit as well

same shelf now with the addition of an eMac and some other stupid $5 shit

overall hoard
hasn't really changed much

the two other "sites" are fucking horrifying and I won't take pictures of them, they need to be sorted

also two pictures of sunshit at Voyager mission control I found while looking for blogshots

Got an old franklin. Anyone know it's value?

I used to use clothes pegs.

In hindsight using wood to bind cables inside a computer wasn't a great idea, but my logic was "at least they wont conduct."

Does no responses mean there's no real reason to shell out for an amiga other than for the fun of it?

If you haven't guessed, I'm trying to talk myself out of getting one.

Just ship it to LGR

Not a PC in the sense of a desktop, but the HP calculators were probably the first actual PCs that people could hope to own.

It's funny to look at that and think that it wont be long before even the disc drive is as obsolete as the floppy drives.

I suppose I can add a few to the thread. This is a Macintosh Classic II that my sister's in laws had in their barn for many years. Somehow escaped any major damage, removed the battery before it could leak and the machine fired right up. No idea what I'll do with it though. Mostly just a conversation piece at this point.

If you have no prior connection to it I wouldn’t reckon you would care about any inaccuracies.

Would you use it? Would you keep it around for a long time? Would you put it somewhere prominently in your house? Is the price really that big a deal for you? Do you prefer the physical experience or are you just after the software?

They also had this Performa 550 sitting in a bedroom for at least probably 15 years. Sadly, it sat in the sun for most of that which is why it's so yellow. The plastic on it is extremely brittle. I had hoped to play some old games on this one, but the Quantum Prodrive hard drive failed the day after. Seems they have an issue with corrosion inside.

>the Quantum Prodrive hard drive failed the day after. Seems they have an issue with corrosion inside.
Which is why Quantum don't exist any more.

I believe Maxtor bought Quantum cheap for their ATA 133 interface. Besides the Prodrive corrosion, I've had several Fireballs given to me over the years that have all gone up in smoke. I heard something along the lines of the drive controllers weren't up to spec or horrible designed.

I've got a couple Fireballs that still work fine, but I can't stand using them because they scream like banshees. Because they're old? Oh no, they were loud fucks brand new.

The Fireballs were the earliest 1Gig HDs I saw.
They suffered from "stiction" and had a high failure rate.
Used to take the top off and spin them by hand to free the heads. But they'd fail again if they were left to cool.

The Fireball's I dealt with I think were the later 10-20gb models. Literally one of the chips on the controller board would bubble and smoke. What you're describing also reminds me of the Prodrive I was talking about earlier. I think if you freed the head manually or oiled some bearing it made the drive work at least for awhile. I didn't have luck with this and the drive is now toast.

I would put it in my computer den, and yeah I imagine I'd use it alot. I want to have an assortment of older PC platforms and even connect them to IRC. It's just an oddly sentimental thing I want to do, almost like those old PCs deserve it.

But damn if Amigas aren't expensive as shit. Price alone keeps it out of reach, so I want to spend my money getting some other platforms and maybe pick one up later (if they dont cost as much as a house by then).

What even is that? I've never heard of that machine before.
Model number? Some kind of CP/M compatible or what?

I am thoroughly enjoying reviving this SE/30. Bringing back some fond memories.

use toilet bowl cleaner called "the works". Yellow will be gone.

Jealous. I do want to get one of these.

How much better are SE/30 and SE's than the Mac Classics? I've heard that Mac Classics have cheaper components inside that corrode, but I'm not sure if that's just some light form of elitism or a serious concern.

Go to computer forums, don't post an asking price and say you got one. Faggot